Edinburgh and Glasgow derbies

Marvin

My mate is a massive(ish) Hun and of course I'm a lifelong Hearts fan.

We have been discussing which set of supporters hates their rivals the most. The hatred between the OF is well documented but I think since 1994 the Hobbits hatred and seethe towards us has eclipsed that of the OF. And its purely down to the aborted Mercer takeover of hibs (even though everyone knows the late Hearts owner saved them) and of course Hearts' dominance in the Edinburgh derby. But my mate refuses to see that point of view and insists its the OF.

So what is everyone's opinion this subject?

fraz the postie

I don't hate hibs,I think they're funny,probably the best derby opponents you could wish for.

Many of my fellow workers/ friends are hibbys,they're brill.

The banter of going back to work after yet another win is tops,winning most games makes this a usual occurance.

I don't however have much time for the weegies,I enjoy their derbys when they kick ten bells out of each other.

kingantti1874

Hibs are like a wee pet.. How could you hate anyone that's brought us so much joy... I doubt the feeling is mutual, but the old firm or whatever it is now is much much worse

Got to say don't hate the hibs it's more of a pity I have towards them ,except for when the games on ;) the bigot brothers hatred of each other however is a constant and is far greater IMO

The Future's Maroon

There hasn't been a 'Glasgow Derby' in three years since The Rangers were born?

Matthew Le Tissier

There hasn't been a 'Glasgow Derby' in three years since The Rangers were born?

Past 2 seasons

Partick vs Celtic

I don't hate hibs,I think they're funny,probably the best derby opponents you could wish for.

Many of my fellow workers/ friends are hibbys,they're brill.

The banter of going back to work after yet another win is tops,winning most games makes this a usual occurance.

I don't however have much time for the weegies,I enjoy their derbys when they kick ten bells out of each other.

I wouldn't say we have a friendlier derby, but both sets of Edinburgh fans realise it's a game and that only. The bigot brothers take their hatred more deeper than that, from every aspect.

We as hearts fans say we are pride of Edinburgh, whereas the old firm kinda forget about Glasgow and go more into ireland/Britain, catholic/protestant and bring stuff that's got nothing to do with football into their derbies.

So in my opinion our derbies are better as they are for footballing reasons and that only

The Future's Maroon

Past 2 seasons

Partick vs Celtic

You know fine well, and as the OP stated, it was regarding Celtic & The Rangers ;-)

Matthew Le Tissier

You know fine well, and as the OP stated, it was regarding Celtic & The Rangers ;-)

;-)

It's also worth noting a fair few of our fans hate rangers and Celtic more than they hate hibs (or I do amyway)

The Future's Maroon

It's also worth noting a fair few of our fans hate rangers and Celtic more than they hate hibs (or I do amyway)

I am 100% in this camp, always have been too....I wouldnt even use the word hate with Hibs.

Gregory House M.D.

Was there a Celtic fan that spent 10 years of his life trying to bring down Rangers?

They despise us with the burning fury of a thousand suns and it infuriates them even more that we just pat them on the head and give it the oh you, before slapping them down like the pathetic, snivelling welts they are.

it's definitely the of (rip). I love h1b5, they have provided me with some of the best and funniest moments in football, the hilarious way they got relegated had me laughing so hard i could barley breathe and we all know how great 1-5 was and continues to be, they definitely hate us though, years of dominance by us has turned them into a seething mass of putrid green and white sheite.

Was there a Celtic fan that spent 10 years of his life trying to bring down Rangers?

They despise us with the burning fury of a thousand suns and it infuriates them even more that we just pat them on the head and give it the oh you, before slapping them down like the pathetic, snivelling welts they are.

They've got that Phil MacGiollabhain crackpot to contend with. He even writes books about his club's rivals ffs. There's a few Celtic fans who do that sort of stuff.

Rangers fans would probably do the same in return if any of them were capable of reading and writing.

Gregory House M.D.

They've got that Phil MacGiollabhain crackpot to contend with. He even writes books about his club's rivals ffs. There's a few Celtic fans who do that sort of stuff.

Rangers fans would probably do the same in return if any of them were capable of reading and writing.

Ah yes, I forgot about that particular fantasist.

it's definitely the of (rip). I love h1b5, they have provided me with some of the best and funniest moments in football, the hilarious way they got relegated had me laughing so hard i could barley breathe and we all know how great 1-5 was and continues to be, they definitely hate us though, years of dominance by us has turned them into a seething mass of putrid green and white sheite.

I actually thought I was going to pass out I was laughing so hard. Hibs are, as many have said, the gift that keeps on giving, I could never really hate them.

I have encountered some real bitterness, vitriol and hatred from a few vermin I know. Our perceived financial cheating, allied to the ongoing total derby domination and our Scottish Cup wins (obv. inc 5-1) has really, really affected these chumps. No doubt about it whatsoever. Some of them have true hatred of us.

Very few Hearts fans have real hatred for them. There's no reason to hate a source of such joy.

**** the weegies. Couldn't give a monkeys.

Stabbing and domestic abuse increases on old firm day.

Don't think I've heard similar said about Edinburgh Derby

I remember that, forgot when I originally posted.

Ps. They really hate Rudi Skacel. I'm sometimes surprised at how much venom there is about him. Much more so than Robbo.

Of personal preference imo. I hate Hibs more than anyone else.

They've glorified in Albert Kidd etc...for so long, wanted us extinct with great passion, I've worked beside all sets of fans and there's no one more bitter and deluded than Hibs fans when it comes to football, even though I can't stand the Old Firms constant arrogance.

The big cup win over H1b5 was the icing on a 26 year long baked cake. Not so much Albert Kidd sheight out them these days.

It's easy for us to be cocky as we've so much dominance over them but that's the warning.

Never get too comfy and always revel in the next win over them. I want another 22 in a row.

Meh Southampton vs Portsmouth is worse

Raise you Bristol City v Bristol Rovers, makes the OF one look like a girly bitch fight :)

MacDonald Jardine
I have encountered some real bitterness, vitriol and hatred from a few vermin I know. Our perceived financial cheating, allied to the ongoing total derby domination and our Scottish Cup wins (obv. inc 5-1) has really, really affected these chumps. No doubt about it whatsoever. Some of them have true hatred of us.

Very few Hearts fans have real hatred for them. There's no reason to hate a source of such joy.

**** the weegies. Couldn't give a monkeys.

I wonder how this would have turned out in the 70s.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

MacDonald Jardine

I wouldn't say we have a friendlier derby, but both sets of Edinburgh fans realise it's a game and that only. The bigot brothers take their hatred more deeper than that, from every aspect.

We as hearts fans say we are pride of Edinburgh, whereas the old firm kinda forget about Glasgow and go more into ireland/Britain, catholic/protestant and bring stuff that's got nothing to do with football into their derbies.

So in my opinion our derbies are better as they are for footballing reasons and that only

If you're going down that road what does "Edinburgh" as an entity have to do with football?

MacDonald Jardine

So Celtic fans are inherently more intelligent?

Really?

I think in the last few tears the most hated game in Scotland has been the Famous v septic, at least that's what it feels like.

If it wasn't for the internet, there would be less acrimony between Hearts fans and Hibs fans.

However, the internet is a reality and, my attitude to Hibs has definitely changed because of the stuff tat went on over the past few seasons, particularly.

I would not compare us with the Cheeks in Glasgow, because it's more a Big Toe Pinkie Toe relationship through here. No matter how het up the wee toe gets, it's wee toe and will always be so!

Mind you, given a few million years, the wee toe could evolve into an elephant's trunk!

I don't understand why this is, hibs hate us with a vengeance, they wanted us dead, buried and totally erased from the face of the planet, they are totally obsessed to the point that some prick spent 10 years of his sad life trying to destroy us. The OF are a bit of an irrelevance to us.

I don't understand why this is, hibs hate us with a vengeance, they wanted us dead, buried and totally erased from the face of the planet, they are totally obsessed to the point that some prick spent 10 years of his sad life trying to destroy us. The OF are a bit of an irrelevance to us.

That was the basis of my topic. I used to hate the OF more than hibs, but because of their (fans) actions during our administration I now wish them obliterated from the planet and will piss my self when administration comes knocking on their door.

I have huge respect for all the other teams who have helped us during this very rocky time for our famous old club.

Raise you Bristol City v Bristol Rovers, makes the OF one look like a girly bitch fight :)

or City v Cardiff those games are just like what the Hearts v Aberdeen games used to be like (circa 1970s and 1980s)

If the Edinburgh teams came anywhere close what I see here in Glasgow I would never have anything to do with Hearts (and therefore Scottish football) again. The things I have witnessed in the ten years I have lived here are staggering. (I work in the health service.) I saw nothing like it in 15 years working in Edinburgh. Even when one or two try to draw on past "connections" that we really don't have, it as a bunch of amateurs compared to the West.

We do have a meaningful club history but it is related to stories that make Jeremy Paxman bring the BBC to Tynecastle, not UEFA threaten investigations and sanctions. Hibs are much closer to us than they are to any other team in Scotland. We are more rival siblings, than clans with a blood feud. And even better that we are always going to be the big brother.

MacDonald Jardine

Because it shows how right and fair thinking they are.

We don't hate our rivals or anyone really apart from the big bad old firm.

Hate is for the stunted. Hearts and Hibs enjoy a generally healthy rivalry. Aye, there's some a-holes on both sides but not enough to skew it too far.

If the Edinburgh teams came anywhere close what I see here in Glasgow I would never have anything to do with Hearts (and therefore Scottish football) again. The things I have witnessed in the ten years I have lived here are staggering. (I work in the health service.) I saw nothing like it in 15 years working in Edinburgh. Even when one or two try to draw on past "connections" that we really don't have, it as a bunch of amateurs compared to the West.

We do have a meaningful club history but it is related to stories that make Jeremy Paxman bring the BBC to Tynecastle, not UEFA threaten investigations and sanctions. Hibs are much closer to us than they are to any other team in Scotland. We are more rival siblings, than clans with a blood feud. And even better that we are always going to be the big brother.

Moved long before you did, and agree entirely.

The patronising 'friendship' from one side, the total non belief from the other you're not interested in the religion thing nor you always want Rangers to win.

Even the more sensible ones, when they get together...

MacDonald Jardine

That was the basis of my topic. I used to hate the OF more than hibs, but because of their (fans) actions during our administration I now wish them obliterated from the planet and will piss my self when administration comes knocking on their door.

I have huge respect for all the other teams who have helped us during this very rocky time for our famous old club.

To be fair if you'd previously based hatred of a club on the behaviour of the noisiest fans at matches Hibs would have been right up there.

I'm not convinced basing it on the most extreme arseholes on an internet forum, as both sides tend to do, is any more representative.

They hate us more than we hate them, imo.

I do, in a footballing sense, hate them, but that hate is diluted with scorn and ridicule. As others have suggested, they're just too damned funny, weird and ridiculous to hate with the seething rage many of them have toward us. The derby has provided at least half of my favourite Hearts games/memories over the years, particularly the pre-trophy winning days of the 80's and early 90's.

It's no coincidence that Hearts fans won the hater contest in the 70's when H1b5 dominated.

Because it shows how right and fair thinking they are.

We don't hate our rivals or anyone really apart from the big bad old firm.

Before our administration I would have seen hibs as a team( club) to be an irrelevance but last year totally changed it for me, I want that club to die now.

MacDonald Jardine

Before our administration I would have seen hibs as a team( club) to be an irrelevance but last year totally changed it for me, I want that club to die now.

I can understand that but it doesn't fit with "right minded" thinking.

They hate us more than we hate them, imo.

I do, in a footballing sense, hate them, but that hate is diluted with scorn and ridicule. As others have suggested, they're just too damned funny, weird and ridiculous to hate with the seething rage many of them have toward us. The derby has provided at least half of my favourite Hearts games/memories over the years, particularly the pre-trophy winning days of the 80's and early 90's.

It's no coincidence that Hearts fans won the hater contest in the 70's when H1b5 dominated.

...The hatred between Celtic and Rangers goes way beyond what is normal and, despite H1b5 fans best efforts recently, I hope the Edinburgh derby never goes the same way.

I can understand that but it doesn't fit with "right minded" thinking.

It isn't a case of being PC, for the sake of it, more a maturity to rise above it.

MacDonald Jardine

It isn't a case of being PC, for the sake of it, more a maturity to rise above it.

Rise above what? Hating your rivals?

Most football fans would see nothing wrong with that.

Rise above what? Hating your rivals?

Most football fans would see nothing wrong with that.

The reference was to wanting the club dead.

Hibs are like that dog you can't help but love despite its bad habits. It shits on your carpet and eats the dinner off the counter when your backs turned but you just whip it with the newspaper and rub its nose in it. It gives you years of joy and loves nothing more than rolling over and having its tummy tickled.

If you're going down that road what does "Edinburgh" as an entity have to do with football?

Hearts are one of the 11 leagues founding members of Scotland. We were the club to implement the penalty kick as we know it today. We are the only club to win the scottish cup outside of Glasgow. Hibs helped set up Dundee united. cant forget St bernards in anything mentioned as they won a few scottish cups. Along with Spartans today.

Edinburgh is steeped in footballing history.

Hope that answered your question!

Hearts Heritage

We didn't 'implement' the penalty kick. It was our 'despicable' action of 'fisting the ball out' in the Cup QF that caused the SFA to support the football law change proposed by Ireland

Archived