Happy 70th Birthday to Donald Ford

Hearts Heritage

Donald and Cruickie were my original heroes when I first started to follow the famous as a young laddie.

Ford, Cruickshank, Prentice, Busby etc the first heros I had. Happy Birthday, and thanks for all the work done in the background getting us to where we are now,

john brownlee

Happy birthday Donald many great hours of watching you play football and for always getting my wages on time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snap,

Donald and Cruickie were my original heroes when I first started to follow the famous as a young laddie.

Donald Ford was a fantastic striker in some very average Hearts teams.

He would score a barrowload in todays side.

Happy 70th Donald and thanks for the memories.

N Lincs Jambo

He certainly would score for fun in this side and would probably love to have the chance to win more than he lost against the vermin. Happy birthday Donald - loved watching you back in the day

He certainly would score for fun in this side and would probably love to have the chance to win more than he lost against the vermin. Happy birthday Donald - loved watching you back in the day

I would like to add my congratulations to Donald on his birthtday and include all of the previous posts on this thread as they cover everything and more in my thoughts and respect to a true footballing gentleman.

He's why number 9 is my favourite number and like others, my first footballing hero.

When he had his picture framing and photography gallery in South Queensferry, I was gobsmacked when he agreed to sign the back of one of the framed pictures I had made. The wife just looked at me as if I was daft...."what the hell do you want the photographer to sign the frame for?".....

She was educated thereafter

Happy birthday Donald, as others have said first real hero. (after the sad departure of a certain Willie Wallace.......)

Favourite goal was a few minutes to go against rangers in the scottish cup replay. Put the ball past McKinnon? one way and ran round the other side. Then curled a low shot into the far corner. Bedlam ensued pitch invaded at full time.

Subsequently lost to dunfermline in final......

And a derby win as a birthday present too. Perfect.

Great servant to club as a player and with FoH etc as well. Best memory is him introducing and endorsing Wallace Mercer to the fans.

torino calcio

First ever footballing hero, but perhaps more importantly with his involvement in and endorsement of FOH - gave it credibility at a time when many people were sceptical about the whole thing.

Remember climbing up the floodlight at the scoreboard end to try and see the game just as Donald scored against Rangers in 68. One of the best moments ever.

You're being kind by describing some of the teams as "average" !!

However, whoever Donald had along aside him he always stood out and showed that he had class and ability and also that he was playing for his club which meant so much for him. I'm sure there were a good few occasion's when he was injured and shouldn't have played but he always put the club first, sadly his big heart may have cost him a few years of his career.

Through the years I've often seen him making his way to Tynecastle as he continued to support the team. His contribution to this club in later years match the one he made when wearing the jersey and that is saying something, for that I for one will always be grateful.

From one Fordy to another, all the very best Donald.

You epitomise everything that makes me proud to be associated with this magnificent football club.

I know you'll have a great Sunday too.

My school headmaster was previously Donald's and he would tell school assembly Donald was the finest sportsman in all Scotland.

Fordy and Cruikshank were my first heroes, however as we're both from Linlithgow Fordy edged it. Donald was a great player in some poor teams latterly in his career. He also got Mercer involved and gave some profile to the Foundation in the early days. Happy birthday.

Teuchterjambo

Donald Ford exuded so much class as both a footballer and a person. His contribution to Hearts throughout his playing career and long after sets him apart as someone really special.

The legendary status that is conferred far too lightly on many players is actually insulting to the real true legends and Donald Ford is most certainly one of them.

Like many of my generation on here the names of Ford and Cruickshank are etched on my heart ... Happy Birthday Fordy and let's hope that the new generation give you an extra present tomorrow

Belated Happy Birthday Donald.

Always remember him scoring a Hat Trick at Pittodrie In 1970 or 1971.2-1 down with 5 minutes to go and up he popped and got us the two points.

Christ,I'm showing my age now..!

peebles jambo

same here, Happy Birthday Donald

Happy Birthday Donald, it was always Donald Ford, never donny or don, Donald, resplendant, and IMO never given the recognition at international level that he richly deserved' if someone could post the goal he scored for Scotland...I think it was a world cup qualifier in 73/74? I would be grateful.

avhudtheteeshirt

1968031302.jpg

Remember this night well, the crowd was amazing if you look at the left of the picture on the touchline there are supporters on the track as there was no room in the terracing for them. Just another great night for the Hearts, many happy returns Donald, "Your a Legend".

Happy birthday Donald, you were my boyhood hero, and thanks for all the wonderful memories over all these years, truly an inspiration to us all.

John Gentleman

Happy Birthday Donald a great ambassador for our club and not a bad goalscorer in his day. :bravo:

....and goalkeeper when called upon!

Happy birthday Donald.

From a fellow Black Bitch.

Busby too :thumbsup:

Happy Birthday Fordy.

alwaysthereinspirit

I remember when he came on as a sub against Czechoslovakia in the away game after we had qualified for Germany 74.

I had tears in my eyes as they said his name.

I remember when he came on as a sub against Czechoslovakia in the away game after we had qualified for Germany 74.

I had tears in my eyes as they said his name.

I was only 2 then so no memory of it at all :sob:

Archived