Morgaro Gomis...one of the most complete central midfielders we've ever had

droid

We_are_the_Hearts

Tangerine fans love Jimmy Gomis and still can't understand why they didn't sign him up before Hearts came in

Name 10 better midfielders for Hearts than Gomis (who is doing a fantastic job by the way) you say? In my time watching Hearts...

Cameron

Hartley

Skacel

Aguiar

Mackay

Fulton

Flogel

Derek Ferguson

Salvatori

Bannon

Honourable mentions:

Galloway

John Millar

Severin

Gomis is on the way but has to do it in the top league and for longer to get into the top 10.

Alex McDonald would be fighting for top midfielder with Colin Cameron out of that list, but I'm getting on a bit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

Creepy Lurker

Why am I getting posts removed when I've said and done nothing wrong?

Trolling probably.

Trolling probably.

Wtf are you about? Last night you were calling me a hibby troll and telling me to GTF, how am I the ahole here? Wtf Mods??

You need to have a word with yourself

Creepy Lurker

Wtf are you about? Last night you were calling me a hibby troll and telling me to GTF, how am I the ahole here? Wtf Mods??

Discussion of moderator decisions is against the rules. As is trolling, so please stop.

To think our midfield pairing could have been Hammil and Stevenson.

To think some fans were hoping this would be the case :rofl:

Charlie-Brown

Gomis is a completely different kind of player to Cameron, Hartley or Skacel so you can discount them from comparisons.

For me Morgaro is a very classy and hugely influential player for us certainly one of the best we've had in that role for a long time. Comparisons with Jim Bett, Salvatori and Derek Ferguson are fair imo.

Gomis is a completely different kind of player to Cameron, Hartley or Skacel so you can discount them from comparisons.

For me Morgaro is a very classy and hugely influential player for us certainly one of the best we've had in that role for a long time. Comparisons with Jim Bett, Salvatori and Derek Ferguson are fair imo.

Of course you can! Central midfielders can all be compared. Especially box to box players like Cameron and Hartley.

Brian Hamilton might have something to say about that.

Think he'd probably say Hartley.

He'd surely say Cameron!!! ;)

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Alex McDonald would be fighting for top midfielder with Colin Cameron out of that list, but I'm getting on a bit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

I had Doddie in the second group as I know he was good - and Britain's first player/manager - but couldn't remember how good, plus it was in the years when we yoyo'd up and down the divisions. I also had Gary Locke in the second group but couldn't remember if he played mostly full back or defensive midfield (I though the latter).

Francis Albert

Name 10 better midfielders for Hearts than Gomis (who is doing a fantastic job by the way) you say? In my time watching Hearts...

Cameron

Hartley

Skacel

Aguiar

Mackay

Fulton

Flogel

Derek Ferguson

Salvatori

Bannon

Honourable mentions:

Galloway

John Millar

Severin

Gomis is on the way but has to do it in the top league and for longer to get into the top 10.

Gary Mackay??? Hard working, industrious, longstanding ... legend if you must ... but a "complete central midfielder"?

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Gary Mackay??? Hard working, industrious, longstanding ... but a "complete central midfielder"?

Mackay was a great midfielder for us from an early age - part of the 85/65 team, the 87/88 2nd place team, the UEFA cup run team, the 91/92 second place team, scored a cracker on his Scotland debut - played a lot of games and was very consistent. The question was name 10 better midfielders. Gomis certainly couldn't be called "complete" until he starts scoring a few.

Davie Bowman could also make the second group, thinking back to when Mackay broke through.

Francis Albert

Mackay was a great midfielder for us from an early age - part of the 85/65 team, the 87/88 2nd place team, the UEFA cup run team, the 91/92 second place team, scored a cracker on his Scotland debut - played a lot of games and was very consistent. The question was name 10 better midfielders. Gomis certainly couldn't be called "complete" until he starts scoring a few.

Davie Bowman could also make the second group, thinking back to when Mackay broke through.

Of course Gary achieved more in his Hearts career than Gomis ever will and in that sense he is "better". But if the thread is about "complete players" then sorry Gary doesn't cut it for me. If Gomis scores in one of his next two or three games he will have caught up with Gary's scoring rate, but "complete" in terms of a midfielder has for me more to do with ball control, retention of possession, decisive passing

... on all of those Gomis wins hands down on the evidence so far. The old joke about some thinking in his early years that Gary's first name was "For****sake" had some basis in fact!

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Of course Gary achieved more in his Hearts career than Gomis ever will and in that sense he is "better". But if the thread is about "complete players" then sorry Gary doesn't cut it for me. If Gomis scores in one of his next two or three games he will have caught up with Gary's scoring rate, but "complete" in terms of a midfielder has for me more to do with ball control, retention of possession, decisive passing

... on all of those Gomis wins hands down on the evidence so far. The old joke about some thinking in his early years that Gary's first name was "For****sake" had some basis in fact!

Mackay was very good for us in my memory - one of my favourite players as a kid. If the thread is about complete midfielders then Gomis doesn't meet that description yet IMO. He needs to pitch in with some goals and be a bit more box to box to be called complete. I think Holt has it in him to be more of a complete midfielder.

Having said that I love Gomis and want to have his babies. I'll be delighted if he keeps up this form in the SPL and becomes a Hearts great.

jack D and coke

I think Holt has it in him to be more of a complete midfielder.

Im still waiting for the signs that Holt has all the potential we were all told he has tbh. To say he has the makings of a complete midfielder is stretching things just a little bit. Hes got a nice touch and good control but I haven't seen evidence of much else. He's a patchy performer at best.

On the subject of Gomis the early signs are good and only him and Buaben got pass marks in the recent cup match with Celtic which puts to bed the theory about him not being able to produce at a higher level and he'd be my first name on the team sheet every week at the moment. The couple of misplaced passes against Dumbarton last week were about the first ones I can remember him having this season. He's been head and shoulders or most consistent performer. A tremendous signing.

Gary Mackay??? Hard working, industrious, longstanding ... legend if you must ... but a "complete central midfielder"?

Gary MacKay was a good midfielder. Had a touch of everything to his game and played in an era Scottish football was stronger.

Like anyone he had a dip and I remember him being heckled for quite a while but he came good again. Gary was excellent in possession and often had a calming influence as much as his trademark bursting runs created and caused danger.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Im still waiting for the signs that Holt has all the potential we were all told he has tbh. To say he has the makings of a complete midfielder is stretching things just a little bit. Hes got a nice touch and good control but I haven't seen evidence of much else. He's a patchy performer at best.

On the subject of Gomis the early signs are good and only him and Buaben got pass marks in the recent cup match with Celtic which puts to bed the theory about him not being able to produce at a higher level and he'd be my first name on the team sheet every week at the moment. The couple of misplaced passes against Dumbarton last week were about the first ones I can remember him having this season. He's been head and shoulders or most consistent performer. A tremendous signing.

I just meant he looks like he can play deeper and start things and has goals in him.

The White Cockade

you're not fooling anyone Dave!

I've said I rate Gomis and I think he's very good. But a midfielder who doesn't score or create goals isn't a 'complete' midfielder.

Mackay in his prime was way better. As were numerous others. In terms of complete, Cameron is comfortably the best of the last 30 years.

i wish jj was my dad

Never.

Bett did play sweeper one game at Tynecastle. Can't remember the opposition but he played very well. Was surprised we didn't try it again.

Discussion of moderator decisions is against the rules. As is trolling, so please stop.

Yeah, wouldn't want to make a complete **** of myself by trolling all over the place like a ****** child eh?

Yeah, wouldn't want to make a complete **** of myself by trolling all over the place like a ****** child eh?

4cd.gif

4cd.gif

The trolling **** got on my chebs, hope that's OK.

Or is this one of those ones where we pretend it was actually dead witty and not trolling at all?

The trolling **** got on my chebs, hope that's OK.

Or is this one of those ones where we pretend it was actually dead witty and not trolling at all?

FAO Smithee only. Nobody else look!

Let you into a secret, when you react the way you do all you do is invite mocking and a message from the mods. If you think someone is being a dick ignore or take the piss back.

I ken it's no cool to get annoyed and there's a game that others play but I'm a grown up, no a bairn, and I really can't be messed with that shite.

If I can't just discuss the football without some trolling tool getting on my case, I'm not interested.

queensferryjambo

Cameron

Hartley

Skacel

Aguiar

Mackay

Fulton

Flogel

Derek Ferguson

Salvatori

Bannon

Honourable mentions:

Galloway

John Millar

Severin

No place for Neil Berry, Kenny black or Iain Jardine :sob:

Creepy Lurker

I don't know if you're aware of this, Smithee, but personally abusive posts are actually against the rules. If the moderators deleted your posts and mine then obviously it was because they wanted us to cease what they did not consider to be a worthwhile discussion. I for one am happy to comply with that decision. By seeking to continue the discussion in this fashion you're making us both look bad. Please try to be an adult about this.

I don't know if you're aware of this, Smithee, but personally abusive posts are actually against the rules. If the moderators deleted your posts and mine then obviously it was because they wanted us to cease what they did not consider to be a worthwhile discussion. I for one am happy to comply with that decision. By seeking to continue the discussion in this fashion you're making us both look bad. Please try to be an adult about this.

Yeah, whatever cuddles. The mods can compare my "personal abuse" with when you wittily called me a hibby troll and told me to GTF.

No matter how you dress it up, you started trolling me on Friday night with zero provocation and have carried it on.

I'm at peace with my contribution, I've trolled no one. You'll get nowt but a dingy from me now, enjoy your day

Creepy Lurker

I'd like to make it known that for all that Smithee's obviously trying to troll me, I forgive him and would prefer for no action to be taken against him.

Punks No Deid

Back on topic gents, I love the way that the wee man anticipates things i.e. He picks the ball off the toe of his opponent rather than needing to make a tackle. Can't teach that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived