We will have a sticky patch

Bruno

I am as excited and positive as anyone about how this season is panning out, and I don't want to put a dampener or the mood because it is a really great time to be a Hearts fan at the moment, but I just want to encourage a little bit of a reality check.

There is still more than 80% of the season to be played, H1b5 look like they finally have some kind of clue what this football malarkey is all about and most importantly we will definitely have a sticky patch this season, which will probably make or break it.

Robbie Neilson is only 10 games into his managerial career, and he's made a fantastic start but he is still hugely inexperienced and when a dip in form comes we will need to get right behind the team and him otherwise we might well contribute to the slump. We have very high expectations generally as a fanbase, and we also have a habit of turning on the team if things are going against us, but what we really need to be doing is showing some patience when things don't go well, and not getting ahead of ourselves when it comes to winning this league.

Already after the Dumbarton result some on here were fearing the worst and having a go at some of the players, but we can't be doing that. Part of the reason we are doing so well is because of the wave of positivity around the club which is something that neither Rangers nor H1b5 have. That gives us an advantage because it affords a bit of freedom and reduces the pressure on Robbie and the players but we will need to maintain that when times get tough.

The support has been nothing short of fantastic in the last year or so, financially, numerically and vocally, but we will need to keep that up if we happen to lose a game or two to the likes of QOTS or Alloa. I genuinely believe that we will win this league, but to do that we need everyone pulling in the same direction all the way.

COME ON THE HEARTS!!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We won't win every game but generally, we'll get better and better under Robbie. We won 5-0 at the weekend and the gaffer still wasn't happy. That is a good thing.

Well said. We're all in this together and acting like Rangers supporters if/when things get sticky won't do us any favours.

We have no divine right to go through our whole league programme unbeaten (although that would be nice!) so let's just understand that the guys will mess up from time to time.

How we handle the next 2 tricky away games will be a massive indication of how we will fare this season.

What you've said about Robbie is correct he is inexperienced , however CL isn't , and that's where the steadying hand will come in :)

I'd like to think we can win our home games it's the battles away from home that will be harder

I've a feeling we're going to have an Arsenal 'Invincibles' type season. To give it a real shot however, I'd be looking to get a decent, experienced CB in in January if I was RN/CL. :thumbsup:

How we handle the next 2 tricky away games will be a massive indication of how we will fare this season.

I agree with this, so far we have only played 3 away games, while we done well at Ibrox and Starks park we were poor at Dumbarton. I think our home form will comfortably get us a playoff place, it will be how we do on the road that will dictate wether or not we win the league.

good point by the op, even on sunday, sitting pretty comfortable at 3 goals up and some geezer starts getting all antsie and shouts C'MON GET IT UP TH' PARK! I thought he'll be good if we have an off day, and no doubt we will do, but as Bruno says we have to show support.

It's great that we've got a winning mentality. Far cry from the middle of last season when losing became so frequent that it hardly affected me.

Agreed.

The away games are where this league will trouble us if anything. At Tynecastle I expect us to be unbeaten all season.

Cliche but lets take one game at a time.

Tough away game coming up on Saturday. Another big win will be another significant statement of intent. Not looking past Dumfries on Saturday.

We do need to play our part, lots of comments about the atmosphere at Tynecastle, perhaps it's the sitting down that has had an effect, in the past you walked along to where your mates were and if you had some roaster nearby you could move. The guy next to me was giving every missed pass or shot piles of abuse at 3-0, no need, get behind the boys not on their backs, get the songs going let's do our bit to intimidate opponents, they'll get it tight at Ibrox so let's make Tynecastle just as unwelcoming and scary for away teams, not our boys

We have two very tough away games coming up.... How we handle them will give us a much better insight into the season ahead.

So far we are easy the best footballing team.... But that doesn't mean we will win the league. Grinding out results away from home will be the deciding factor.

We won't win every game but we should be aiming not to lose any.

I don't see why that's not achievable either.

Guest Paul Allen

We should beat the smaller clubs comfortably at Tynecastle where there's a big pitch with space for our forwards to exploit. The games away to the smaller clubs, on their narrow pitches, and where they park the bus and celebrate 0-0's like they've just won the cup, will be difficult to win. The games against Rangers and Hibs, both home and away, could go either way IMO.

Rather than going through a sticky patch I can see us improving as the season goes on.

We've played 7 of the other 9 teams in the Championship and have been the better team in ALL of the games so far, including wins against the two teams tipped to be our closest challengers. In 4 of those games we have dealt out a hammeringing to the opposition and we look a class above all of the other teams in quality, attitude and fitness. We also have good strength in depth now with guys like Pallardo, Robinson, Holt, King, Keatings, McGhee and Eckersley not making the starting line-up at the weekend. Aligned with the professionalism of the management team and the passion of the fans there is a real hunger and enthusiasm about the squad which I fully expect will carry us to the title.

letsalldothebeattie

Think the next 2 games (Queen of the South & Alloa away) will be a big test for us, especially after the Dumbarton trip when we didnt have the best of days.

I think IF we slip up and struggle it will be away from Home, Tynecastle has finally become a bit of a fortress again and sides are struggling to play us. Its away from home where sides will have a go at us like Dumbarton did for spells.

I would like to see us go unbeaten all season in the league, can we is a different matter. I can see us winning every home game though

good point by the op, even on sunday, sitting pretty comfortable at 3 goals up and some geezer starts getting all antsie and shouts C'MON GET IT UP TH' PARK! I thought he'll be good if we have an off day, and no doubt we will do, but as Bruno says we have to show support.

Do you sit near back of G by any chance? Did we hear the same person or are there a few morons scattered about? ;)

In a general sense - its better to be ahead of the game than chasing it so i am delighted with the start we have made. We have to take advantage of results though i.e. this weekend really need to be focused on winning, or rangers result last night means nowt and were back to 3 or 4 points. It certainly wont be easy, or another 4 / 5 niller. Pretty sure of that.

Hagar the Horrible

One game at a time, lets give QoS our full attention, they deserve respect, they are a good team and will be a test!

Do you sit near back of G by any chance? Did we hear the same person or are there a few morons scattered about? ;)

So many morons. I sit in the Gorgie and the idiots around me...

"get it up the park"

"we are not Barcelona"

"put it on the big mans head"

"score a goal"

"this tika taka is pish and doesn't work"

I could go on but you get the point.

Holyrood_Hearts

It's a good thing both Hibs & Rangers have already been to Alloa & dropped points, while Hibs lost at Palmerston too. Our players need to remain professional & focused.

"get it up the park"

"we are not Barcelona"

"score a goal"

Some absolute welts sitting around me..

Based on what I have seen so far, we already had our sticky patch at Dumbarton away!

This is not Hearts of old. We are now a professional outfit and that is no disrespect to any past teams but CL & RN have the boys well drilled and doing extra training. Their recruiting policy seems to be players that will slot into Hearts ethos of hard work, responsibility and self improvement. i.e. no slackers, arseholes, primadonna's, bevvy merchants or old men.Theres a few of them in our nearest rivals team!

That said, I am sure points will be dropped but as it stands, we need to loose 2 and then draw 1 and rankerz need to win 3 at the same time for them to climb above us and that aint happening any time soon!

Hagar the Horrible

"get it up the park"

"we are not Barcelona"

"score a goal"

So in essence they want us to be Rangers? sorry but welcome to the new age, and I am loving it

If you are a player it's about not looking too far ahead .

It might make people cringe but it really is about one game at a time.

Take into each game more belief and confidence that the players almost become so assured in themselves that they will win every time they take to the pitch. Stopping short of complacency and cockiness of course.

When you develop a winning habit and attitude you express this naturally , that's the stage we need to get to. Almost 2nd nature.

Believe you will win, don't assume. There's a difference and I think if we hold this attitude we'll be well in the title race come the last few games.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Teams that sit in will give us the biggest problem this season, I reckon. El Hass looks like he is handy around the 18-25 yard areas, and could help us with those kind of situations, imo.

The People's Chimp

Already after the Dumbarton result some on here were fearing the worst and having a go at some of the players, but we can't be doing that. Part of the reason we are doing so well is because of the wave of positivity around the club which is something that neither Rangers nor H1b5 have. That gives us an advantage because it affords a bit of freedom and reduces the pressure on Robbie and the players but we will need to maintain that when times get tough.

I don't think anyone with any sense, or who was at the game, was doing that. Your point still stands generally though, which is boo boys shut up and lets get behind the team.

Cliche but lets take one game at a time.

Tough away game coming up on Saturday. Another big win will be another significant statement of intent. Not looking past Dumfries on Saturday.

2 really tricky away games back to back on plastic

Private Womble

"get it up the park"

"we are not Barcelona"

"score a goal"

There was a guy in section N slating Wilson for taking too many touches when we were 3 up. I actually :facepalm: ed

The truth is.......the rest of the league is shitting it when they have to play us!

We have a winning mentality and the squad to get the job done. I don't think we have even seen Hearts in top gear yet.

We are the best team in this league possibly by some distance but we have to keep proving it on the pitch every single week, we won't win every game and it's hard to imagine we can go all season without some disappointments.

We've been playing well and getting good results but yes, a dip in form will happen. Having said that, we haven't hit top form yet either, which can only be a good thing.

Robbie may be inexperienced but he has Levein to talk to if he thinks he needs any help. The club set up is spot on and we finally have proper strength in depth in the playing squad.

The club is moving into fan ownership in a couple of years time. Great time to be a Jambo.

"get it up the park"

"we are not Barcelona"

"score a goal"

If that's what offends you count yourself lucky. Particularly laughed at "this tika taka...". That must be one of the most middle class football shouts (and complaint) ever.

jamboinglasgow

I think we will have a run of a few poor games at some point. One thing though I would say that benefits us is that depth in attacking talent. All our attacking players have scored this season, so we are not over reliant on one player scoring all the goals which can be a problem for other players. In four of our last five league games, we have had a player who has scored at least two goals, and each time it has been a different player. We have creativity from the wings, and players who can push through from midfield to add an extra dimension. With that we should be able to break down teams. Dumbarton I feel was a wake up call for the players, to understand that teams will make it hard by sitting deep and compact, we have to learn to get through that (as 1 goal can undo the oppositions game plan.)

The next three games are important, but we then face Hibs/Falkirk/Raith/Rangers again, before having a week off. With only one game a week and everyone pushing for places, there should be no reason for letting up in performances.

Does anyone know if the players are on good bonuses to exit the league as Champions?

The op is right.. we will have a bad patch

After winning the league in early April the team will go on a 5 week bender and lose the last 5 matches.

Tynecastle will be in uproar, fans will refuse to buy season tickets and there will be a mass clearout of the playing staff.

Archived