Main Stand/Old Stand

Locky

I call it the 'new school old stand' because the new school's behind it.

I call the 'roseburn' the 'old school new stand'

Finally some clarity.

its funny trying to talk to my auld man about which stand we will be in and where i should meet him as he refers to the stands as the school end, next to the school end, the old school end and the other end next to the school despite him having been to almost a thousand games and staying like 5 doors from the main stand end lol

• 1 month later...
Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

The Archibald Leitch would be more appropriate.

But would that start folk singing "Sunshine on Leitch"? A step too far for me.

Maroon Sailor

The Shed

The Corner

The Shed floodlight

The School End

The Main Stand

The Gorgie Road End

Settle for The Wheatfield and The Gorgie Stand - never The Roseburn.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

But it is the oldest stand, weatfield is the biggest stand so to some people its the main stand

It's the main stand as that's where the front door/offices/changing rooms are, not because of its size.

I've never heard someone call the wheatfield the main stand :lol:

I call (the old stand) the main stand. Always have.

this. And folk callin it Bertie when you could just say willie bauld?

To be fair, the Bertie is marginally preferable to the Willie.

It's the main stand, the stand my late dad took me to at age 6 and 7. Conn Bauld Wardhaugh and the rest of them right in front of me when they were playing in B matches.

Hearts Pennants, triangular flags, on my bedroom wall

Then he died.

So, memories all right! I Still cram my big self into a small seat these days, What other stand IS there? I know it needs replaced but I hope we move first.

sunblestjambo

its funny trying to talk to my auld man about which stand we will be in and where i should meet him as he refers to the stands as the school end, next to the school end, the old school end and the other end next to the school despite him having been to almost a thousand games and staying like 5 doors from the main stand end lol

I had about 5 goes at working out what stand(s)? you are talking about here and eventually my brain burst in flames.

To be fair, the Bertie is marginally preferable to the Willie.

Nah, it's rotten patter that one poster seems obsessed with using in the hope other people start using it.

Good stuff, lets give our stand a nickname based on an ex Celtic player and Hibs manager. Love it.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Nah, it's rotten patter that one poster seems obsessed with using in the hope other people start using it.

Good stuff, lets give our stand a nickname based on an ex Celtic player and Hibs manager. Love it.

Pretty much this. Terrible nickname.

What was the Main Stand called when it was the only stand? :uhoh2:

The Grandstand? I think...

Sure I read that somewhere.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

It was called the "Sit in there when I could be standing in the Shed? Nae chance!" Stand.

When I started going in the 70s it was The Stand, The Enclosure and The Terracing. The terraces were based on the entrances Gorgie, School and Wheatfield (Shed). Until it was redeveloped, I stood behind the goal at the school end, a couple of barriers down from the old pie stand. That was our meeting point. We would stay there for the first half and if Hearts attacked the Gorgie end in the 2nd half then we would make our way around to the Gorgie end at HT. Of course we stayed put at the school end when it was a full house.

When I first started going I was always taken to the Gorgie rd end and stood with my dad his pals and their kids under the pylon at the " stand" side or as some will remember to the right of the

A B C D E F etc scoreboard ( I'm sure some of the younger posters will be saying to themselves what the feks that all about ) only useable with a programme

Anyway when I needed a piss during the game after a couple of Kia ora juices it was the " toilet" under the MAIN stand I was told to use ,

Gorgie /Shed /School and Main are the areas for me

Unfair criticism of the senior dot counter though IMHO

When I started going in the 70s it was The Stand, The Enclosure and The Terracing. The terraces were based on the entrances Gorgie, School and Wheatfield (Shed). Until it was redeveloped, I stood behind the goal at the school end, a couple of barriers down from the old pie stand. That was our meeting point. We would stay there for the first half and if Hearts attacked the Gorgie end in the 2nd half then we would make our way around to the Gorgie end at HT. Of course we stayed put at the school end when it was a full house.

Gorgie Road end when my old Dad first took me when I was a wee 10 year old - top RH corner. For the big Hibs/OF games the first thing you had to do was get a hold of 2 empty beer cans and balance on them whilst hanging on to the old mans shoulders to see the game.

Not only did they help the viewing but they came in handy when guys were pissing against the old corrugated iron barrier at halftime and the piss was running down the terracing.

Ah the good old days...

When I first started going I was always taken to the Gorgie rd end and stood with my dad his pals and their kids under the pylon at the " stand" side or as some will remember to the right of the

A B C D E F etc scoreboard ( I'm sure some of the younger posters will be saying to themselves what the feks that all about ) only useable with a programme

Anyway when I needed a piss during the game after a couple of Kia ora juices it was the " toilet" under the MAIN stand I was told to use ,

Loved the bit in bold mate, can remember awe the skinflints who wouldnae buy a programme and trying to find out who wiz A, B, C etc

Maroon Sailor

When I was a kid I used to sit on the wall in the south enclosure. Never forget the derby Aug 78 when a fan came on the pitch and made a beeline for the ref. I looked to my right just a few yards down and thinking what was going on !

Fences came soon after that and my place on the wall gone !

Wonder if that guy is still around.

When I was a kid I used to sit on the wall in the south enclosure. Never forget the derby Aug 78 when a fan came on the pitch and made a beeline for the ref. I looked to my right just a few yards down and thinking what was going on !

Fences came soon after that and my place on the wall gone !

Wonder if that guy is still around.

1978 where have the years gone ? I still try to explain the old ground to my daughters but it just goes over their heads things such as the fences , where the tunnel used to be with it's rounded wall which was a nightmare to try and stay on so you could pat the back of your heroes running out

I even try to explain the " golden goal " tickets my sister used to sell mainly in the Gorgie Rd end.

Tynecastle park a fine old lady :)

( can it be called a lady ?

I don't like the School End being called The Roseburn.

It's the school end plain and simple, never ever heard of it being referred to as the Roseburn end only ever since the stand went up in 1997.

It was always the school end FFS Roseburn is nowhere near it, if anything the McLeod Street end or the Russell Road End

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

I miss the old Tynecastle :sad3:

Me too. I particualarly miss the Shed. I even miss the surge of the crowd tumbling down the terracing after a goal, even though I always feared for my ankles.

I don't really miss the streams of pish from the toilet up in the top corner of the Shed though.....

Craig Herbertson

Me too. I particualarly miss the Shed. I even miss the surge of the crowd tumbling down the terracing after a goal, even though I always feared for my ankles.

I don't really miss the streams of pish from the toilet up in the top corner of the Shed though.....

The scarey bits were great. Lack of pish is a definite improvement. I'm sad enough to miss the old scoreboard. I think the retro look would be another brilliant sales point for Hearts. It used to be exciting as a kid waiting for the guy to change the score. There was almost a bit of delay as they tried to find the right number and the occasional laugh as they got it wrong. I amit laughs were easier to get in those days and tastes were much simpler.

My first home game I was in the old stand. We called it the "stand" then as there was only one stand. Never went back to the "stand" for almost twenty years, the day Robbo put Celtic out the cup. I'll cry when they knock it down.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

The scarey bits were great. Lack of pish is a definite improvement. I'm sad enough to miss the old scoreboard. I think the retro look would be another brilliant sales point for Hearts. It used to be exciting as a kid waiting for the guy to change the score. There was almost a bit of delay as they tried to find the right number and the occasional laugh as they got it wrong. I amit laughs were easier to get in those days and tastes were much simpler.

The laughs made up for the football in those days, Craig. The 70s weren't the greatest period in the club's history, that's for sure. Growing up watching the likes of Ernie WInchester certainly makes you appreciate what we've got now.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Main stand.

From now on it's "The Alan", in honour of the entirely relevant former Dundee United, St Johnstone and Gretna goalkeeper.

Maroon Sailor

From now on it's "The Alan", in honour of the entirely relevant former Dundee United, St Johnstone and Gretna goalkeeper.

I was thinking more Davey as in Davidson Mains

My first ever Hearts game was in the old stand with my old man who took me to see Hearts win the league against Killie... I also sat in it for a few seasons prior to the Wheatfield being built. I'll be sorry to se the old dear go but we have to move on.

Not forgetting of course the price difference for match tickets depending where you were in the stand relative to the halfway line.

I've been watching hearts since 1970 but have only watched probably about 20 games out of getting on for a thousand games from the old stand. Call me heartless but Stands with wooden floors and pillars should be a thing of the past.

The White Cockade

Used to have a season ticket for the old South Enclosure back in the 70's/early 80's

Great memories of Cruikie, Ford,Busby,Prentice,Cant etc

Never won many games in those days mind

Moved to the School End after that getting soaked in the rain behind the goals

Then after that to the cheap plastic seats under the Shed

I've been watching hearts since 1970 but have only watched probably about 20 games out of getting on for a thousand games from the old stand. Call me heartless but Stands with wooden floors and pillars should be a thing of the past.

Whilst your correct in saying there are more modern safe ways to build a stand the wooden floor helps to generate a hell of a big part in the atmosphere at games when the foot stamping begins and I'll be sorry to see it go

Whilst your correct in saying there are more modern safe ways to build a stand the wooden floor helps to generate a hell of a big part in the atmosphere at games when the foot stamping begins and I'll be sorry to see it go

Agree about atmosphere though that's probably more to do with all seated stadiums.

Should've also said whilst it helps the atmosphere it's also a good way to keep the feet warm ;)

Archived