Fulham - What's Going Wrong There Then?

Maroonblood22

Interesting to see the current predicament they are in at the moment, don't get me wrong I have no favouring towards them as a club but being bottom of the Championship with 1 point from 7 and a goal difference of -12... what's going wrong with them?

It would be easy to blame the manager but he is an experienced guy with good pedigree, a bit long in the tooth maybe but he seems to think he'll turn things around.

It would be easy to blame the players but with guys like McCormack, Rodallega and Ruiz, they surely have a team far more capable of competing in the top half of the table?

Or is it just simply Michael Jackson's fault?

They've let every coupon of mine down. They have to win at some point, right? Last night I thought I was in with a winner, no 3-2 up to lose 5-3.

Basically they have went from having a team of experienced veterans to a bunch of kids with a handful of decent players. Whilst at the same time getting a new manger with little or no previous knowledge of either the country of the opposition.

Throw in a lack of confidence and it's easy to see why they are struggling.

Manager has lost the dressing room. Doubt he will see out the week.

By the sounds of it he never had the dressing room. Pretty good job for whoever replaces him if he does go though, unlikely that they will get any worse than they currently are.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Poor manager and a bunch of players who are likely overpaid and lacking in fight for the jersey.

Sounds familiar...

Poor manager and a bunch of players who are likely overpaid and lacking in fight for the jersey.

Won the Bundesliga a few times so don't think he's too bad a manager. I think his fitness based training is probably not popular with the players.

Won the Bundesliga a few times so don't think he's too bad a manager. I think his fitness based training is probably not popular with the players.

Poor in terms of knowledge of the English game particularly at championship level. A core of proper English players hungry for the fight gets you out of the championship. That is why the Watford model is failing so far.

Exactly: it's a ridiculous statement to say Magath is a "poor manager". The wrong appointment for the club, it would seem, but he's got a great pedigree. When he was at Stuttgart he was a strong disciplinarian, punishing minor infringements and lack of effort by making the players do more running work, and placed a very high emphasis on physical fitness. No doubt this proved unpopular with the Fulham squad...

Magath lost his magic in Germany ages ago. After he won the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg, he failed at Schalke and back at Wolfsburg. It was a strange appointment by Fulham in the first place, but typical of their recent managerial decision making. They are in freefall and will need to get it right next time or do a Wolves, who also made a crazy choice of manager, and go down again.

When you hear anyone talk about playing for him they don't think much of him as a man and I could imagine his training pissing off the players. Owen Hargreaves said at the time the players would love or hate him. Seems its the latter

Going to a Middlesbrough v Fulham game in few weeks (hospitality treat), so will give my view after that!

Allowayjambo1874

Like wigan only got to the higher leagues due to an owner pouring cash in constantly fan numbers wise they are at best lower championship club. Some spectacularly bad signings such as mitroglou for ?12m has meant that the club has lurched into the shit with the ffp regulations hence young lads having to play.

Also a lot of clubs go through bad times when there is a change of ownership, portsmouth, birmingham, notts forest, charlton the list goes on and on.

An ex Fulham player who was there when Magath took over last season was interviewed on On The Ball (or whatever it's called these days) at the start of the season and he didn't pull any punches about Magath. He said players were absolutely knackered on match days due to Magath's training regime - he was pretty damning about Magath overall. I got the impression he has "lost the dressing room".

Magath's appointment always smacked of desperation. It would appear his approach lost him the dressing room, as no way should Fulham be in the position they currently are. The right appointment should see them turn things around and could be a decent job for someone. Sir Paul perhaps? :)

Fantastic old fashioned ground in one of the best locations within London.

The new owner has taken his eye off the ball with a number of poor appointments...poor advice from others I suspect.

Terrible signings over the last 12 months or so again blame has to be laid at those in charge of signings.

However the owner has the funds to invest and still has the parachute payments........they need to get the next managerial appointment correct and if they do there are some talented young players at the club who along with a few signings could keep them up this season and challenge for promotion next.

This would be a good job for a manager if he is given a free hand to develop the team....People like Neil Lennon, Chris Houghton, Tim Sherwood or Steve Clarke for example.

Fantastic old fashioned ground in one of the best locations within London.

The new owner has taken his eye off the ball with a number of poor appointments...poor advice from others I suspect.

Terrible signings over the last 12 months or so again blame has to be laid at those in charge of signings.

However the owner has the funds to invest and still has the parachute payments........they need to get the next managerial appointment correct and if they do there are some talented young players at the club who along with a few signings could keep them up this season and challenge for promotion next.

This would be a good job for a manager if he is given a free hand to develop the team....People like Neil Lennon, Chris Houghton, Tim Sherwood or Steve Clarke for example.

Agree with your sentiment, not sure Houghton or Sherwood would be the answer. Lennon is a very good shout though, I think he matured into the Celtic job, and grudgingly have to admit he has come across impressively as a pundit. I'm not sure he would want that job though, probably biding his time for a better opportunity.

Basically they have went from having a team of experienced veterans to a bunch of kids with a handful of decent players. Whilst at the same time getting a new manger with little or no previous knowledge of either the country of the opposition.

Throw in a lack of confidence and it's easy to see why they are struggling.

Very much this.

I suppose in someways we can relate to this after last season albeit in totally different circumstances.

To be honest, I think although Magath's intentions for the long term are right by bringing young talent through although he's been too complacent I think. I don't think he appreciated how difficult it is to get back to the Premier League and assumed the youngsters could probably do the business.

Seems like Ross McCormack will prove to be a poor piece of business too. Not his fault, but the fact they spent ?11.5 million on a goalscorer when they could have signed a few cheaper options to strengthen the team elsewhere doesn't bode well.

Rodallega is already a goalscorer and Mitroglou may have turned good eventually.

Archived