Free role

Locky

Perfect example I can think of seeing Hearts playing someone in a free role is Rudi in his 2nd spell. Of course the first spell he came as a left midfielder but upon his return he would be played predominantly as a centre mid who seemed to wherever his legs took him.

Got me thinking, who else has played that role within the team? Did Colin Cameron maybe? He was one of my favourites growing up but I was too young to pay attention to tactics like that.

Also, is anyone capable of that now? El Hassnaoui is someone I think could, he'd obviously need to merit it first though.

We_are_the_Hearts

Perfect example I can think of seeing Hearts playing someone in a free role is Rudi in his 2nd spell. Of course the first spell he came as a left midfielder but upon his return he would be played predominantly as a centre mid who seemed to wherever his legs took him.

Got me thinking, who else has played that role within the team? Did Colin Cameron maybe? He was one of my favourites growing up but I was too young to pay attention to tactics like that.

Also, is anyone capable of that now? El Hassnaoui is someone I think could, he'd obviously need to merit it first though.

Defo not Cameron as he was box to box. Aguair later in his Hearts career had a similar role?

Defo not Cameron as he was box to box. Aguair later in his Hearts career had a similar role?

Aguiar was closest thing other than Skacel I can think of but he played more in the hole to support Csaba's solitary striker.

Nicholson or Walker could do it imo. Both good at attacking from the wing but they could easily drift inside and support from there or drop deeper to pick the ball up if needed. Walker especially I think would benefit from having the freedom to do what he wants.

Nicholson or Walker could do it imo. Both good at attacking from the wing but they could easily drift inside and support from there or drop deeper to pick the ball up if needed. Walker especially I think would benefit from having the freedom to do what he wants.

He seemed to have that bit more freedom at Raith. Seen highlights of a couple of games he scored in from that season and he was seeing a lot of the ball in the middle of the park.

He seemed to have that bit more freedom at Raith. Seen highlights of a couple of games he scored in from that season and he was seeing a lot of the ball in the middle of the park.

just thinking the same that Nicolson did this versus Raith and possibly a bit in some of other games

From our current squad if I had to pick a player to float about between midfield and strikers it would be Carrick.

El Hass is yet to prove himself and Holt doesn't have enough goals in him.

Carrick has pace, vision and goals. He would be my pick.

The White Cockade

Wasn't that auld Lithuanian boy(name escapes me)played there and had a blinder against Rangers at Tynie?

the wee felly?

Wasn't that auld Lithuanian boy(name escapes me)played there and had a blinder against Rangers at Tynie?

Ksanivicius? Looked a bit like Phil Daniels?

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Not got anybody that is head and shoulders above enough to warrant it.

You really need somebody like Nadar Ciftci. The guy can do just about everything in an attacking sense.

Walker for me in the "ten" role. Saw him do it twice against St Mirren and at Raith in a friendly at start of last season. Played very well every time and taking away his defensive duties helps the whole team.

Walker for me in the "ten" role. Saw him do it twice against St Mirren and at Raith in a friendly at start of last season. Played very well every time and taking away his defensive duties helps the whole team.

agree and have king and nicholson on the wings, give our opponents lots to think about

Surprised no one has mentioned Jason Holt yet. He's another I'd consider.

Good on the ball, eye for a pass and can ping a decent shot sometimes.

Carrick or Holt. Jason Holt is a bit of an enigma imo, the guy's full of football but isn't nasty/ physical enough for the league we're in. Maybe if he was allowed to sit behind the striker and do his own thing it would work better for him.

I'm not sure King and to a lesser extent Nicholson have the upper body strength that's needed to play in there, and IMO are better with a few yards space to run at defenders I just don't think there is enough time and space in Scottish football for them to succeed at this point in their careers. However Carrick is possibly the best bet atm. I worry that Holt could end up like a Paul McGowan who has talent but at the end of the day has never done anything with it.

Ksanivicius was a good wee player.

In our current team I'd like to see, at some point, Walker played behind Sow. Think it's his best position. Temps was class there against Liverpool.

I liked Audrey - played the free role very well. Linked well with Velicka too.

Anyway I don't think that is what this team us about. I think it is about an attacking 4 players having flexibility to switch positions in a way that has been worked on hard in training

From within our current squad I would be using Walker in a central "free" role, in the games i've seen him play that role he's terrific going at defenders with good close control of the ball, slips in some great little passes and has a good eye for goal.

IMO the downside of him playing wide on the wing is that while he get's to the byline with ease his crossing is erratic and he is weak defensively.

Paul Hartley, we were running other teams ragged in 2005/6 due to his pace getting forward and his precision passing.

Paul Hartley never played in the free role for Hearts. He was a box to box centre midfielder.

In this league it's a dangerous concept. Whoever gets the job will be sliced down as soon as he gets the ball and as usual no pretection from the GFA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samuel Camazzola

Paul Hartley, we were running other teams ragged in 2005/6 due to his pace getting forward and his precision passing.

In my opinion, his execution of a pass was the weakest part of his play. So many times he would he would choose the right option but couldn't complete the pass.

His Hollywood cross-field passes were woeful too.

Other than that, his work rate, willingness to drive forward and input of goals was top class.

In my opinion, his execution of a pass was the weakest part of his play. So many times he would he would choose the right option but couldn't complete the pass.

His Hollywood cross-field passes were woeful too.

Other than that, his work rate, willingness to drive forward and input of goals was top class.

That's nonsense :lol:

Hagar the Horrible

Gutted just Gutted!!!!

Saw this thread and thought ya beauty a free roll!!!!! turned out to be a tactical debate

Although I respect your opinion, I disagree with it.

Paul Hartley's passing is "woeful" and he could never complete a pass? Really? :lol:

One of the most creative Hearts players of all time. No one comes near, in my lifetime.

Samuel Camazzola

Paul Hartley's passing is "woeful" and he could never complete a pass? Really? :lol:

One of the most creative Hearts players of all time. No one comes near, in my lifetime.

Never said 'never'. Highlighted that his execution of pass was the weakest part of his game as he often under/over-hit his pass.

I think you may have misunderstood my original opinion. I never took anything away from his creativity.

Gregory House M.D.

Colin Cameron was a superior midfielder to Hartley and he proved that here and in England. Hartley was great, but second best unless you're very, very young.

Cameron was unbelievable and our 98/99 season just proves what a massive player he was. That's what sets him apart from Hartley. No way would the team have missed Hartley as badly as the 98 team missed Mickey.

UnbelievableJeff

Colin Cameron was a superior midfielder to Hartley and he proved that here and in England. Hartley was great, but second best unless you're very, very young.

Cameron was unbelievable and our 98/99 season just proves what a massive player he was. That's what sets him apart from Hartley. No way would the team have missed Hartley as badly as the 98 team missed Mickey.

That's a statement you could pick the bones off for months. Cameron played in a poorer team for the most part. Hartley's contribution in a very good team was outstanding. I prefer Hartley. I think he edges it on meaningful contribution and memories. I am old enough to remember both.

Gregory House M.D.

That's a statement you could pick the bones off for months. Cameron played in a poorer team for the most part. Hartley's contribution in a very good team was outstanding. I prefer Hartley. I think he edges it on meaningful contribution and memories. I am old enough to remember both.

Rousset

McPherson Weir Ritchie Naysmith

Salvatori

Flogel Cameron Fulton McCann

Adam

I'd put money on that team beating the 05/06 team TBH and more relevant to the argument I'd fancy that midfield to dominate the match.

Meaningful contribution Hartley loses on as well. Even with his hat-trick and that penalty. Mickey for me was more creative, better technically, had better vision, better passing and scored more goals.

Memories don't make a better footballer and I remember far more of Hartley than Cameron.

Edited to add that Mickey stood up and was counted when it mattered most against a far superior outfit to Gretna. Hartley lost the rag and nearly lost us the cup.

Loved both but Mickey > Hartley every time for me.

Generic Username

Hang on.

Bunter was 10 in 2003.

So you were 8 when Mickey Cameron left for down south.

Which means you'd have been about 3 when he joined.

That's some memory you've got on you.

Gregory House M.D.

:facepalm:

Exactly what I just said I remember far more of Hartley than Cameron and yes, I do remember Cameron and also saw him playing for Wolves a fair amount. Remembering the best players from your childhood and first seasons at Tynecastle shocker.

Cameron is a better footballer than Hartley.

My age when he joined the club is absolutely irrelevant.

Gregory House M.D.

The same Colin Cameron you thought Ian Black was better than?

OH BUNTER YOU ARE THE SILLIEST OF SAUSAGES

Absolute ******* rubbish :rofl:

Can you get the quote of where I said "Ian Black is a better football player than Colin Cameron" please. Cheers in advance.

I loved the 97/98 team as much as the next man but to say they'd beat the 05/06 team based on nothing but YouTube clips and seeing players play for other clubs is ridiculous :lol:

There were European Champions and Champions League winners and a ?9m goalkeeper in the 05/06 team!

Generic Username

Give me an hour and a Red Bull enema and I'll get trawling through JKB to find it Bunter. Weird that I'm not the only person to have pulled you up about it...

Now, about these Wolves games. Was it games from the one season they were in the top flight while Mickey was there? Championship games?

This all sounds offy similar to regailing folk on P&B about seeing Kennedy playing for Killie on the telly;

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/215602-hearts-v-hibs/

(there's the link before you ask for it)

Archived