Celtic player in 'racist slur' probe by SPFL

CJGJ

Aberdeen have accused Celtic's Bulgarian winger Aleksander Tonev of racial abuse directed at their defender Shay Logan.

Referee Bobby Madden received the complaint which will also feature in SPFL delegate John Connelly's report.

The incident is said to have occurred early in the second half of Saturday's Premiership match at Celtic Park.

BBC Scotland has approached Celtic for comment on the matter but the club has yet to make a statement.

The Scottish Football Association expects to receive the report on Monday, following which the compliance officer will decide what action it should take.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29197915

Aberdeen have accused Celtic's Bulgarian winger Aleksander Tonev of racial abuse directed at their defender Shay Logan.

Referee Bobby Madden received the complaint which will also feature in SPFL delegate John Connelly's report.

The incident is said to have occurred early in the second half of Saturday's Premiership match at Celtic Park.

BBC Scotland has approached Celtic for comment on the matter but the club has yet to make a statement.

The Scottish Football Association expects to receive the report on Monday, following which the compliance officer will decide what action it should take.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/29197915

smeltic will play the victim card here, dons player shay logan to get 3 game ban nap

I reckon carpets, sweepers etc.. will be the next step? Nothing to see here, do you not know how politically correct they are about absolutely everything?

The thumb wearing off on the new lad I see.

Disgusting bunch.

On that topic, how long does it take for the police to look at you tube to decide that Griffiths is a racist," I saw it once, it was him and he was singing it," the police have been deciding what to do about this racist since April, and of course our football authorities have said they can't take any action until the police have made a decision.

Are they hoping we are all just going to forget about this ?..Celtic know that if he is proven guilty they are going to have to take action, and a lot of there fans will want rid, only months after spending about 800k for his signature.

The GFA will investigate no doubt and then after a few months when everybody's forgotten about it the verdict will be unproven.

We are still waiting on Griffith's being punished 6 months after the incident.... and that was with video evidence.

The broom will be back in action again I feel.

jamboinglasgow

The GFA will investigate no doubt and then after a few months when everybody's forgotten about it the verdict will be unproven.

Have they met over Griffiths charge yet? Dont remember any verdict coming from that.

edit: just seen that it hasn't. That is mad, how can you have such a slow system like this.

We are still waiting on Griffith's being punished 6 months after the incident.... and that was with video evidence.

The broom will be back in action again I feel.

exactly - the silence on this is deafening. How long does this investigation take?

Have they met over Griffiths charge yet? Dont remember any verdict coming from that.

edit: just seen that it hasn't. That is mad, how can you have such a slow system like this.

Can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but to be fair to the SPFL/SFA, they are waiting on the outcome of the police investigation before conducting their own.

They can't be seen to potentially prejudice an active police investigation by conducting their own and having an outcome.

Same rule of thumb applied down South when the FA had to wait for the police to conclude before investigating John Terry over his spat with Anton Ferdinand.

I just hope that the cops get their finger out soon though as it's been dragging on for a ridiculous amount of time.

Holyrood_Hearts

Unless anyone else has heard the comments, it's going to be difficult to prove what was said?

Can't see the Compliance Officer getting involved-he only reacts to incidents caught on TV camera's!

jamboinglasgow

Can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but to be fair to the SPFL/SFA, they are waiting on the outcome of the police investigation before conducting their own.

They can't be seen to potentially prejudice an active police investigation by conducting their own and having an outcome.

Same rule of thumb applied down South when the FA had to wait for the police to conclude before investigating John Terry over his spat with Anton Ferdinand.

I just hope that the cops get their finger out soon though as it's been dragging on for a ridiculous amount of time.

ah right, did not know there was a police investigation that was on going. If thats the case they will report next year on it.

I'm as amazed as you are mate - polis look at the video, see him doing what he did....jeez ..?

UnbelievableJeff

Police report is complete weeks ago and papers are with the Crown office awaiting a decision on whether to prosecute or not. Pretty sure some erse singing a naughty song in a boozer won't be at the top of the list of priorities.

Celtic have denied an allegation that Aleksandar Tonev racially abused Aberdeen's Shay Logan during Saturday's Premiership match.

Dons defender Logan reported the alleged second-half incident immediately to referee Bobby Madden and skipper Mark Reynolds before informing manager Derek McInnes.

Fourth official Crawford Allan and Celtic were also made aware of the allegation by the Dons management team.

A Celtic spokesman issued a statement to Sky Sports News HQ on Sunday which read: "We have spoken to the player and he has stated that the accusation made is not true."

The Scottish FA is awaiting the referee's report which should arrive on Monday.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9470526/scottish-premiership-celtic-deny-aberdeen-allegations-of-racism-against-aleksandar-tonev

alwaysthereinspirit

Celtic have denied an allegation that Aleksandar Tonev racially abused Aberdeen's Shay Logan during Saturday's Premiership match.

Dons defender Logan reported the alleged second-half incident immediately to referee Bobby Madden and skipper Mark Reynolds before informing manager Derek McInnes.

Fourth official Crawford Allan and Celtic were also made aware of the allegation by the Dons management team.

A Celtic spokesman issued a statement to Sky Sports News HQ on Sunday which read: "We have spoken to the player and he has stated that the accusation made is not true."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9470526/scottish-premiership-celtic-deny-aberdeen-allegations-of-racism-against-aleksandar-tonev

That'll be that then.

He's not likely to admit to being a racist scumbag though, is he?

If he is guilty I hope a camera has caught the incident and suitable punishment is forthcoming.

Given that the Scottish authorities not only tolerate but actively encourage sectarianism, can't see why they would worry too much about a bit of racism.

The lack of action over Griffiths is evidence of that.

Given that the Scottish authorities not only tolerate but actively encourage sectarianism, can't see why they would worry too much about a bit of racism.

The lack of action over Griffiths is evidence of that.

As has been covered already on this thread, the SPFL/SFA can't do anything until the Cops/Crown conclude their side of things, so as not to prejudice any potential criminal case.

A bit lilt the John Terry v Anton Ferdinand scenario.

Winston Ingram

Not impossible it was heard by other players but as mentioned, that would be absolutely necessary for anything to happen.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Duncan Ferguson was given his 12 match ban for headbutting John McStay before his case went to court. Not saying its right or wrong, but a precedence was set.

The Future's Maroon

By gosh I am stunned....someone or someones saying something anti PC?! Will anything be done about it...of course not.

If that had been hearts,you can bet your last quid that it would have been sensational headline news & we would have been fined ?50.000

Police report is complete weeks ago and papers are with the Crown office awaiting a decision on whether to prosecute or not. Pretty sure some erse singing a naughty song in a boozer won't be at the top of the list of priorities.

Well it should be! Very high profile case of a leading player employed by one of Scotland's leading clubs, clearly singing a racist song which has been viewed by thousands of members of the public.

If Scotland is serious about stamping out racism they need to be seen to hammer this Ned!

As others have said, difficult to prove unless other players come forward.

The fact that the dons player reported it right away may act in his favour.

Personally,I expect that sellik will issue the standard "player spoken to about behaviour expected from tic players" etc, etc and it will quietly disappear.

...a bit disco

As has been covered already on this thread, the SPFL/SFA can't do anything until the Cops/Crown conclude their side of things, so as not to prejudice any potential criminal case.

A bit lilt the John Terry v Anton Ferdinand scenario.

'Lilt' eh?

Makes it a tropical debate then.

:D

Going by the report in The Hibsman it looks like they are busy prosecuting some other erse for Twitter abuse against Anthony Stokes.

The SFA say it might take upto 2 weeks to decide if any action will be taken against Tonev?

It'll give The Sun some time to photoshop a speech bubble onto a picture of the two of them - "No, I said you're black affronted".

Celtics PR machine will be in full swing and no doubt the Dons player will get done for making it all up?

and the first bit has happened

Celtic saying Tonev did not do this suggests Logan is lying or was mistaken though they just seem to be relying on his word

poor by Celtic - should stick to it being his statement he is innocent not to say they know its absolutely the case

Agree that the police should be setting a precedent with Griffith's altercations. As has been mentioned, they have done their part and the report on the matter awaits a decision (from the courts if I read correctly?).

Hopefully the courts will realise, that although this may seem a minor incident in comparison to the heinous crimes that no doubt cross their desks, it needs to be viewed as an example case. If they act correctly now, then it should help to prevent any of the younger members of public who have viewed the video thinking that racism is acceptable behaviour. It would also send out a clear message; regardless of who you are, what job title you hold/ who you work for and whomever your friends in high places may be (Lawell in this case) it is not acceptable conduct and will be dealt with accordingly.

And he's done similar before eg. the young lad from Livi, facebook/twitter? Something along the lines of go back to where you come from......err like that far away place that is Livi!

Archived