Best "Cup Winning Team"

Sydney

Right then, what would be our best Cup winning team (only going back to 98)? You can only pick from the players who played in those matches:

GK Rousset 98, Gordon 06, MacDonald 12

RB McPherson 98, Neilson 06, McGowan 12

LB Naysmith 98,Fyssas 06, Grainger 12

CB Weir 98, Ritchie 98, Pressley 06, Tall 06, Webster 12, Zaliukas 12

RM Flogel 98, Cesnauskis 06, Suso 12

CM Cameron 98, Fulton 98, Salvatore 98, Hartley 06, Aguiar 06, Barr 12, Black 12, Skacel 12

LM McCann 98, Skacel 06, Driver 12

FW Adam 98, Bednar 06, Jankauskas 06, Elliott 12

Subs Hamilton 98, Murray 98, Brellier 06, Miko 06, Pospisil 06, Robinson 12, Taouil 12, Beattie 12

Manager Jefferies 98, Ivanauskas 06, Sergio 12

So, my team is:

Gordon (06)

McPherson (98)

Fyssas (06)

Weir (98)

Pressley (06)

Flogel (98)

Cameron (98)

Hartley (06)

Skacel (12)

McCann (98)

Adam (98)

Hamilton (98)

Pospisil (06)

Brellier (06)

Jefferies (98)

Only Rudi from our 2012 cup winning team (playing more through the middle) gets into my "best ever".

Oh, and by the way, that team would win the league, and qualify for the Champions League group stages.

jambo in iraq

Hamilton? Seriously? I take it unused players cannot be list in the subs then? Janny & Bednar would come way ahead or Hamilton.

Only change i would make to your starting 11 would be Neilson at RB. Never the best RB but that tackle against Gretna probably won us the cup when we in fact played very poorly.

Hamilton? Seriously? I take it unused players cannot be list in the subs then? Janny & Bednar would come way ahead or Hamilton.

Only change i would make to your starting 11 would be Neilson at RB. Never the best RB but that tackle against Gretna probably won us the cup when we in fact played very poorly.

I loved big Jim Hamilton. Bags of skill. Brave. Not too bright though. I agree that Janny and Bednar were both better than Hamilton, but I was taking the view that they had to be chosen in the position they played....

Nielsen made "that tackle", McGowan scored "that goal", but for me, Big Slim played out of position against maybe the best ever player in the SPL (Laudrup) and for that reason alone, he's in my team.

Samuel Camazzola

Minor detail, but wasn't it Prychenko (sp) instead of Robinson who got game time in 2012? Not 100% but always thought he played.

Snake Plissken

Minor detail, but wasn't it Prychenko (sp) instead of Robinson who got game time in 2012? Not 100% but always thought he played.

Nope.

He and Ridgers were unused subs in 2012.

Too tough to pick as all three teams played in a different way. I'll give it to the 1998 team in full seeing as they gave me the greatest day of my Hearts supporting life.

Interesting replies though...we played "very poorly" against Gretna? For 15 minutes maybe, but we still managed a SC Final record total of shots on goal (31, I believe) which may well still stand. Even although it went to penalties they know that they were well beaten "on points" and acknowledged the fact by doing a lap of honour in front of our fans. You just don't do that if you feel robbed. Yes they were brave and on another day disaster may have befallen us but the result was a fair one in the end. Yes, the "tackle" was a goal saver but I'm sure that occurred at 1-0 so nobody has any idea how it would have panned out had it not been made, hopefully we'd have woke up and started playing again. Also, Dougie McDonald might have made life a bit easier by giving the most blatant penalty in any of the three finals mentioned!

I also find Paulo Sergio (12) > JJ (98) a VERY interesting opinion!

Gordon

Neilson

Weir

Pressley

Fyssas

Suso

Cameron

Brellier

Hartley

McCann

Adam

Jankauskas

Skacel (12)

Flogel

Paulo Sergio

loveofthegame

I think Jefferies is a great Jambo but my vote would go to Sergio.

The job JJ did in bringing the SC back to Tynie for the first time in so long well outdid the job that PS did. By a country mile IMO, regardless of result in 2012.

loveofthegame

In terms of team:

Gordon

Flogel Weir Ritchie Fyssas

Cameron Hartley Fulton McCann

Skacel

Adam

Gaffer: JJ (as per the above)

The 98 team and subs.

The greatest day in my life, except bairns, wedding blah blah blah.

The only time I wouldn't pick Craig Gordon in goal in a greatest Hearts side that he was in the running for.

The job JJ did in bringing the SC back to Tynie for the first time in so long well outdid the job that PS did. By a country mile IMO, regardless of result in 2012.

I get the feeling that fans who suffered for 36 years without a trophy would agree 100% with that.

I get the feeling that fans who suffered for 36 years without a trophy would agree 100% with that.

As a member of that particular club I agree wholeheartedly.

The 1998 team would go in en masse for me, sad though it would be to leave Rudi out

Gordon

McGowan Weir Pressley Fysass

Flogel Cameron Hartley McCann

Scacel

Adam

Manager JJ

Fort Vallance

If they can it would be Robbo and 10 others for me.

If they can it would be Robbo and 10 others for me.

That was my big disappointment in 98 that Robbo never got on the park for the last few minutes.

Trying to include a mixture of players from each team, which is why Zal is ahead of Weir

Gordon

Neilson

Fyssas

Zaliukas

Pressley

Flogel

Cameron

Hartley

Skacel

Adam

Bednar

To be honest, you could throw the names in the air and quality would always land on the floor.

prychenenko came on in the semi v celtic

airdriejambo3

id go for

Gk = Gordon

Rb = Mcgowan

Lb = Fyssas

Cb = Pressley

Cb = Weir

Ml = McCann

Mr = Skacel

Mc = Cameron

Mc = Hartley