How would you react if your child was gay?

Guest C00l K1d

Do The Dance

Saw that video yesterday. Disgusting. I don't see how anyone can cast aside their offspring like that.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Saw that video yesterday. Disgusting. I don't see how anyone can cast aside their offspring like that.

Religious beliefs over your relationship with your child.

:facepalm:

Guest C00l K1d

Tbh they must be a bit short up top if they never knew!

The mum says she did know.

Not too sure why it all came to a head in that video.

Absolutely astounding though. I could never act like that to someone i dont know, never mind family.

Me & the wife have spoke about this in depth recently, as my brother has only just 'come out'.

Basically, we concluded that we want them to be happy.

It isn't a huge deal like it was in previous generations. It isn't illegal, it isn't something people should have to hide because of ridicule.

Sadly though there are still people out there with outdated and aggressive attitudes to anyone different to themselves.

My Mother told me when I was 14 that if I turned out to be gay I'd have to live somewhere else because my Dad wouldn't tolerate it. Really dumb conversation to have because even though I'm straight its soured my relationship with them, the idea that what I am means more than who I am is never far from the back of my mind.

It certainly taught me how not to communicate with my own children though.

I could never disown my sons If any of them told me they were gay.....that's inhuman. If I couldn't beat the gay out of them I guess I'd just have to accept it and support them as best i could.

My wee yin is a bursd. I wouldn't care, honestly as long as she's happy and safe I'm not bothered.

Boys are smelly and weird anyway.

Guest C00l K1d

Something i find strange though, is when folk congratulate people on coming out. Maybe its because i've been brought up in a largely accepting society, but i just don't see it as something that you should be congratulated for. It'd be like congratulating me on having blue eyes :laugh:

I understand the stigma that can be attached to being gay, and maybe people feel pressured into keeping it bottled up etc in fear of being ripped about it but i dunno.

I see folk wearing the ''I'm gay.. get over it tshirts'' but at the same time i can't help but think ''you're gay.... get over it.''

Completely different story in christian families in america though i suppose.

Guest jonesy

I'd probably ask him for some fashion advice, followed by getting him to do some sketches of how he thinks the living room could be redecorated.

Everyone's a winner!

I've got two boys and if either of them was gay I couldn't care less.

If both of them were gay I'd maybe be slightly disappointed that I wouldn't have natural grandchildren, but I'd still support them and would hope that my relationship with them wouldn't change.

I've got two boys and if either of them was gay I couldn't care less.

If both of them were gay I'd maybe be slightly disappointed that I wouldn't have natural grandchildren, but I'd still support them and would hope that my relationship with them wouldn't change.

What if they were gay with each other?

I see folk wearing the ''I'm gay.. get over it tshirts'' but at the same time i can't help but think ''you're gay.... get over it"

Every year on the fringe there are lots of shows by young gay people that have no subject matter beyond " hey look at us we're gay and out" the audience is generally lots of their young gay friends. Meanwhile older gay people sigh and roll their eyes at their behaviour being old and sensible enough to realise it isn't doing anything to educate and is instead confirming stereotypes. I also know a lot of gay people that feel the same about pride marches.

My point being that it is nothing to boast about, or indeed to be ashamed of. It's just a different way of living your life.

fabienleclerq

Something i find strange though, is when folk congratulate people on coming out. Maybe its because i've been brought up in a largely accepting society, but i just don't see it as something that you should be congratulated for. It'd be like congratulating me on having blue eyes :laugh:

I understand the stigma that can be attached to being gay, and maybe people feel pressured into keeping it bottled up etc in fear of being ripped about it but i dunno.

I see folk wearing the ''I'm gay.. get over it tshirts'' but at the same time i can't help but think ''you're gay.... get over it.''

Completely different story in christian families in america though i suppose.

I had a weird situation where a family member came out and his mum was telling everyone how she thinks it's great etc and she's so proud, making such a big deal of it not being a big deal. It was a bit awkward everyone sitting talking about his sexuality right in front of him (he's 15). I couldn't care either way but people try to be so accepting they make it awkward at times.

If my son had told me when he was sixteen or so that he was gay, I would have been shocked disgusted and totally shattered. I would I am sure have stomped out of the house all discussion closed. His Mum would have talked to him, explained our old fachioned views, and understood my shock. She would probably have told him to go out for a while, even to go and spend the night with one of his friends (non gay) and let her and I talk about this.

It would have been quite a conversation, there would be no doubt that there would be a long period of adjustment, but I am sure the fact that we loved both our kids, and to be honest they had adjusted to my many imperfections, that although we would have all wished it to be otherwise, it would have gained acceptance if not total approval.Whatever our problems the door to our house was never closed to our kids.

Guest C00l K1d

If my son had told me when he was sixteen or so that he was gay, I would have been shocked disgusted and totally shattered. I would I am sure have stomped out of the house all discussion closed. His Mum would have talked to him, explained our old fachioned views, and understood my shock. She would probably have told him to go out for a while, even to go and spend the night with one of his friends (non gay) and let her and I talk about this.

It would have been quite a conversation, there would be no doubt that there would be a long period of adjustment, but I am sure the fact that we loved both our kids, and to be honest they had adjusted to my many imperfections, that although we would have all wished it to be otherwise, it would have gained acceptance if not total approval.

Would you still feel the same now Bob? If say a grandson turned out to be gay?

If i had a kid and they told me they were gay i'd be disappointed. They'd have to put up with some numbers of dicks (no pun intended) because of something they don't decide. I'd also be disappointed as my chances of being a grandparent would diminish. But other than that it'd be gravy.

Yip. I said gravy.

Guest C00l K1d

If i had a kid and they told me they were gay i'd be disappointed. They'd have to put up with some numbers of dicks (no pun intended) because of something they don't decide. I'd also be disappointed as my chances of being a grandparent would diminish. But other than that it'd be gravy.

Yip. I said gravy.

You'd be disappointed in the world they would grow up in surely, rather than them?

I was going to post something similar, about hoping my kids are straight but i couldn't word it properly and didn't want to come across wrong.

Would you still feel the same now Bob? If say a grandson turned out to be gay?

I would not and do not now have the total aversion to Gay that I once had, I know enough people now who have gone through the problem and faced and handled it. Like many of my generation all homosexuals were Queers, they were also seen as perverts. Of course openess of discussion and understanding that genetics,and other entities are the cause has enlightened me. Would I be thrilled, no, would I be disgusted , no, would I be accepting yes, would I totally understand I am not sure. My own not quite so active desires would strictly be for the other sex, I really can't understand wanting another man, but then I am in my body, with my brain and my chemical make up, not theirs.

I'd show him the Jennifer Lawrence pics on Twitter. Having made sure, probably go for a pint.

Guest C00l K1d

Worth noting his boyfriend put up a kickstarter type thing for donations for ''living expenses'' for him after the video.

Raised just under $100,000.

I'd be straight down the gay club with him, if there is a better place on this planet for meeting hot girls, I know not of*. And, incidentally, I now have the world's finest straight man's wingman to party with. Win win.

*assuming I was no longer involved with his mother of course...

I'd probably ask him for some fashion advice, followed by getting him to do some sketches of how he thinks the living room could be redecorated.

Everyone's a winner!

My Mother told me when I was 14 that if I turned out to be gay I'd have to live somewhere else because my Dad wouldn't tolerate it. Really dumb conversation to have because even though I'm straight its soured my relationship with them, the idea that what I am means more than who I am is never far from the back of my mind.

It certainly taught me how not to communicate with my own children though.

correct.,

however the ''living in america'' tune comes into my mind everytime i view this video.

Bridge of Djoum

I have a daughter..I don't want horrible boys anywhere near here so I think I'd be delighted!

As long as your kids are safe and happy, what more can you want?

You'd be disappointed in the world they would grow up in surely, rather than them?

I was going to post something similar, about hoping my kids are straight but i couldn't word it properly and didn't want to come across wrong.

yeah, and the disappointment would be fleeting. but that's the reality.

Weirdos. (Parents)

In a few hundred or so years society will be giving the biggest cornette ever to the religious bullshit that was so rife amongst us.

If my son feels he has to suddenly make an annoucement as to his sexuality, I'll think I should have done a better job of getting to know him as he grew up.

Saw that video yesterday. Stopped watching after a while. Really despise attitudes like that.

People that believe that being gay is a choice are admitting to being attracted to members of the same sex but choosing not to act upon it.

I would have to be honest, and would have to say I'm not sure how I'd react,

I don't really like the idea of it, but if my future child was totally convinced that it was 100%, I wouldn't disown them in a rage. I'd try my best to understand. I don't think I would ever fully understand it, but I would try.

If they were OTT Flamboyantly gay. I might have other viewpoints, but it's their life, not mine.,

Archived