Ulysses

Members are reminded that avatars or other images that link the Heart of Midlothian FC name or crest with either side of the independence referendum debate are not allowed on JKB.

If you are using such an avatar or imagery, you should remove or replace it.

Francis Albert

There is being over-cautious and then there is overdoing it. I can't see Hearts suing JKB because a few posters with Hearts name or crest in their avatar comment on the referendum, and if using the Hearts crest is a breach of copyright then we should stop using it altogether.

queensferryjambo

There is being over-cautious and then there is overdoing it. I can't see Hearts suing JKB because a few posters with Hearts name or crest in their avatar comment on the referendum, and if using the Hearts crest is a breach of copyright then we should stop using it altogether.

Football, Religion and Politics should all be kept apart IMHO

Unknown user

I've never seen the wee copyright sign next to the Hearts badge and it's in print almost daily.

I don't actually think they'd have a leg to stand on based on how often it's used without permission being sought, just from a practical point of view

Pants Shaton

I've never seen the wee copyright sign next to the Hearts badge and it's in print almost daily.

I don't actually think they'd have a leg to stand on based on how often it's used without permission being sought, just from a practical point of view

You should start selling stuff with the crest outside Tynecastle.

I wonder if the Record's "broken Hearts crest" logo, used for years, fell foul of copyright law.

They've been using it so long the copyright has probably ran out

Can we not just ban the No ones for a trial period, say till near the end of September.

If no lawsuits v the Yes ones then allow the No ones back in ?

can people not have a right to show which they are choosing on september the 18th. to be honest its petty whichever way you decide to look at it.

jamboinglasgow

can people not have a right to show which they are choosing on september the 18th. to be honest its petty whichever way you decide to look at it.

They are not saying you cant show which side your on, just dont include Hearts in that picture.

I agree with Ully, people have the right to show who they support but dragging Hearts into is cringeworthy like some avatars which have "heart of midlothian for/against independence." You are a person with a view, you dont speak for the club.

:rofl:

Chris Benoit

They are not saying you cant show which side your on, just dont include Hearts in that picture.

I agree with Ully, people have the right to show who they support but dragging Hearts into is cringeworthy like some avatars which have "heart of midlothian for/against independence." You are a person with a view, you dont speak for the club.

Spot on jig

Francis Albert

Doesn't posting on a Hearts message board about the referendum drag Hearts into it?The fact that you customarily post with a Hearts related avatar (or indeed as a moderator on a Hearts message board) doesn't seem to add much to that.

Independence

Can we not just ban the No ones for a trial period, say till near the end of September.

If no lawsuits v the Yes ones then allow the No ones back in ?

I think this is quite a good idea?

Francis Albert

Chris B - I am not being deliberately obtuse. Maybe you could enlighten me on where I have inadvertently gone wrong.

My brother had to pay over ?2000 to SRM retail in order to use the crest on his whisky set for the cup final (still available by the way) . In the old days there was no such massive fee and I do personally think they are being a bit precious about the crest. To my mind it would deflect effort from where it should be going pursuing this but that being said I am sure common sense will prevail

tartofmidlothian

Football, Religion and Politics should all be kept apart IMHO

:spoton:

No more needs saying.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Have Hearts actually complained to JKB about this ?

No idea but it is consistent with the club statement.

My avatar is obviously the Hampden scoreboard on that glorious day. Would this count given there is a Hearts badge included?

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to the thread.....

.....but (WADR) this isn't a debate.

The position is what it is, and the purpose of the message I posted is to let members know the position and, where necessary, give members an opportunity to amend or edit avatars and other images, hopefully without this requiring the intervention of the moderators.

Captain Canada

Perfectly reasonable request. Hearts and politics should be kept apart. We're not Celtic!

We don't want people hijacking the crest for any purpose.

Spot on. Whichever way you vote is nothing to do with the club.

Francis Albert

Meanwhile back in the real world 13 posts on the last page of the referendum superthread have Hearts-related avatars.

It's a Hearts website FFS. People are expressing their personal views, not trying to associate Hearts with either side of the campaign.

If it is protection against beach of copyright fair enough - ban all use of copyrighted material.

If it s about not involving Hearts in political debate close political threads on a Hearts website.

Simples, as they say.

jamboinglasgow

Meanwhile back in the real world 13 posts on the last page of the referendum superthread have Hearts-related avatars.

It's a Hearts website FFS. People are expressing their personal views, not trying to associate Hearts with either side of the campaign.

What about the posters who have an avatar that has "Hearts for Independence," Not Hearts fans, Hearts themselves. That is pretty clearly trying to associate Hearts with the campaign.

Francis Albert

Fair enough, ban that one, though I can't believe it will increase the Yes vote. . But every Hearts-related avatar? Come on.

MacDonald Jardine

If it is protection against beach of copyright fair enough - ban all use of copyrighted material.

If it s about not involving Hearts in political debate close political threads on a Hearts website.

Simples, as they say.

This really is obtuse.

Fair enough, ban that one, though I can't believe it will increase the Yes vote. . But every Hearts-related avatar? Come on.

The OP specifically refers to avatars that link the crest to the referendum.

It's entirely up to the club to decide in what circumstances they want to pursue a breach of copyright in. They have made it clear they don't want the badge used in any political capacity, it's really not hard to understand. Some Hearts fans support independence which they are perfectly entitled to but it's pretty bizarre that they feel the need to conflate the 2 things

Simples, as they say.

Using the Hearts badge within a 'Yes' or 'No' is ******* tragic.

I trust this clarifies matters for you.

"Tragic"? Really?

As I said I misunderstood Uly's orders. Unfortunate but not many died.

Yes, completely tragic.

Some Hearts fans support independence which they are perfectly entitled to....

Also, some Hearts fans oppose independence which they are perfectly entitled to.

JKB's position is that neither side should use avatars or images that have the effect of associating Hearts with their referendum voting position.

There are a few members who use avatars or signature images that clearly demonstrate their personal support for independence, or the Union, or for a vote in one direction or the other. There is no reason why those should not continue to be used.

If anyone is in doubt about a particular image they are using, they can drop me a line by PM to clarify if it's OK or not - as a small number of members have already done.

Also, some Hearts fans oppose independence which they are perfectly entitled to.

JKB's position is that neither side should use avatars or images that have the effect of associating Hearts with their referendum voting position.

There are a few members who use avatars or signature images that clearly demonstrate their personal support for independence, or the Union, or for a vote in one direction or the other. There is no reason why those should not continue to be used.

If anyone is in doubt about a particular image they are using, they can drop me a line by PM to clarify if it's OK or not - as a small number of members have already done.

Indeed. Only reason I singled out the yes voters is that while I can recall seeing plenty of 'Hearts supporters for independence' avatars I can't remember seeing any of the opposite. Easily could have just missed them though if they were there.

Either way, sensible idea to have them removed.

Archived