Celtic stopped from installing safe standing

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

This is quite a surprising and disappointing decision. Celtic went to the Safety Advisory Group headed by Glasgow City Council who rejected an application to put in rail seating for safe standing and it got rejected. This was compounded by the fact they went to the council first to get approval and were told it was a Scottish government matter, they went to the government who said no it was a council matter.

Safe standing where is a no brainer, by only allowing one person per each allocated position it removes the biggest issues of standing. With Celtic being denied this there is little chance for other clubs to be allowed. Once again Scottish football is denied a chance to move forward from authorities refusing to see change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28777621

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/celtic/u/celtic-denied-safe-standing-at-parkhead.1407941098

The People's Chimp

A disappointing and small minded decision, no surprise in Scotland, and no surprise where Football is concerned. :(

The last fans I'd want to trial "safe standing" on are either half of the OF.

these were my thoughts, excactly.

Italian Lambretta

Could have done with it on Sunday at Ibrox just so those moaning b*****ds in our support who seemed intent on sitting would have done so elsewhere,

I'll wait to hear the reasons why that particular application was refused before condemning all of Scotland for it.

Last time I was at Celtic Park I trialled their standing section.

My 'seat' consisted of a back rest and two hinges. Told to sit down twice by their arsehole stewards.

:cornette:

The People's Chimp

Last time I was at Celtic Park I trialled their standing section.

My 'seat' consisted of a back rest and two hinges. Told to sit down twice by their arsehole stewards.

:cornette:

Saw a boy lifted for exactly that the last time I was there.

Sit down. I can't. Sit down. I can't. Right I'm getting the polis.

Polis arrive, boy gets lifted.

As for these standing sections, everyone stands at the bog games anyway, a small mercy they aren't cracking down on that as well.

Had that at darkheid before told to sit in a non existent seat. We should do that in ourcaway end just not bother repairing damage to makecaway fans as uncomfortable as possible.

zoltan socrates

Could have done with it on Sunday at Ibrox just so those moaning b*****ds in our support who seemed intent on sitting would have done so elsewhere,

So someone taking their kid has to look at your head rather than the game because you want to stand, bit selfish no?

I'd prefer to stand but if people pay money to see a game and are told to sit then it's a bit off standing right in front of them unless you want to toddle off up the back of the stand

I had one at the Annan game, my wee fella couldn't see, asked him to sit down, he didn't, had a hissy fit then realised I was with a kid and apologised, he didn't need to, decent chap tbh but the world doesn't revolve around the individual, why spoil a game for a kid becuase you want to stand, just don't get it

Italian Lambretta

Each to their own I suppose but I also had my kid and he wanted to stand for the 90 minutes.

So someone taking their kid has to look at your head rather than the game because you want to stand, bit selfish no?

I'd prefer to stand but if people pay money to see a game and are told to sit then it's a bit off standing right in front of them unless you want to toddle off up the back of the stand

I had one at the Annan game, my wee fella couldn't see, asked him to sit down, he didn't, had a hissy fit then realised I was with a kid and apologised, he didn't need to, decent chap tbh but the world doesn't revolve around the individual, why spoil a game for a kid becuase you want to stand, just don't get it

I don't think many people would stand in front of a kid because they wanted to stand,mate.

I think we should be looking at this more generally.

Is there a demand for safe standing? If yes,then it should be re-introduced....stadia design permitting!

No surprise to me. Why would the safety people take that risk?

what risk though?? Safe standing areas are much safer than people standing in seated areas, which is what happens at the moment

what risk though?? Safe standing areas are much safer than people standing in seated areas, which is what happens at the moment

More a case for enforcing seating rules. Plus, any accident is then the fault if errant supporters and not the safety committee.

Doesn't bother me. No doubt most other top flight clubs can't afford to change it all so why should it be good for them and no the rest?

Diadora Van Basten

Disappointed that this has been rejected as a father I have had my enjoyment of matches ruined by those who insist on standing leaving me having to hold my son who is standing on a chair just to see.

Would be much better if those who want to stand are together and those like myself who want to sit are left in peace.

Excellent news, no need for standing at the football in this day and age. If you want to stand Saughton park is the place for you.

jamboinglasgow

No surprise to me. Why would the safety people take that risk?

What is the risk? As far as I can see, the problem with standing in the past was too many people in a tight space and a crush when goals are scored. Rail seating removes too many people as you are allocated a space to stand so numbers can be controlled through ticketing, and with effectively barriers in each row, you can all flood into the same gap (except when people run down the steps to the front which happens regardless if people are standing or seating.)

The decision seems to be treating a request for something based on what it is used to be like and not what the solution to these old problems has been.

Excellent news, no need for standing at the football in this day and age. If you want to stand Saughton park is the place for you.

I'm 6"4 with a knackered back and a false leg that sticks out further than my "sound" leg, sitting for any length of time is agony and can effect me for days. If there was standing, I would be at the ticket office trying for tickets to every game, but It is the dark ages I am after so I should stop going to Tynie and head to Saughton park.

With teams in the championship not being all seated, could we not get away with something like this ,not saying we would want to just technically the championship is not an all seated stadium league.

It shouldn't be called safe standing as that just reinforces the nonsense that standing is inherently unsafe.

Bring back terraces for those that want them and tell the hillsborough shroud wavers to piss off. More people have died in disasters at all seater stadia than on terracing.

It shouldn't be called safe standing as that just reinforces the nonsense that standing is inherently unsafe.

Bring back terraces for those that want them and tell the hillsborough shroud wavers to piss off. More people have died in disasters at all seater stadia than on terracing.

FFS.

What is the risk? As far as I can see, the problem with standing in the past was too many people in a tight space and a crush when goals are scored. Rail seating removes too many people as you are allocated a space to stand so numbers can be controlled through ticketing, and with effectively barriers in each row, you can all flood into the same gap (except when people run down the steps to the front which happens regardless if people are standing or seating.)

The decision seems to be treating a request for something based on what it is used to be like and not what the solution to these old problems has been.

I'm not talking about the risk of standing but the risk to their careers/reputation should they authorise it and something happened.

care to provide statistics?

gingerjambo190512

I'm disappointed that they're not allowed to try it out, I mean standing in an all seated stadium is far more dangerous that the old terracing, the amount of people that get hurt jumping over seats when we score against the wee team, the SFA and councils are dinosaurs

nothing wrong with safe standing its the two can dans that cant stay off the drink who make it dangerous for all they want to sell bevvy at their games are they so

stupid who caused all the problems in the first place with their buckfast filled bellies while playing their ugly sister

fabienleclerq

Good think of why it was stopped.....short memories

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You clearly have no idea of what's being proposed, safe standing sections have never been in place let alone stopped.

That picture showing the railings with bench type seats looks pretty safe. There was certainly no safety in the old days of all standing, and the great fun of the people at the back pushing forward to have everyone squeezed to the front. As a youngster I jumped over the wall on to the track many times, as a Polis pulled kids and sometimes people on to the track to avoid them being crushed. It was dangerous but it was part of being a football fan to know what to do and when to do it. It was all for atmosphere. :bobby:

Watt-Zeefuik

Safe standing should be a no brainer. Disappointed to see it rejected tbh.

This.

I presume Celtic fans are particularly keen to stand, and that is why the rip out the seats at almost every stadium they visit.

I'm 6"4 with a knackered back and a false leg that sticks out further than my "sound" leg, sitting for any length of time is agony and can effect me for days. If there was standing, I would be at the ticket office trying for tickets to every game, but It is the dark ages I am after so I should stop going to Tynie and head to Saughton park.

6"4 why so we need to know the size if your bobby?

Seriously though, when your that tall those seats must be a nightmare. I'm only 5' 7" and find seating cramped as hell. And with a false peg, I winge about sitting there with my slightly temperamental knee!

Lazy Boys all round I say!

If Celtic got this approved it would pave the way for other teams in Scotland to get it. This is bad news, hope they appeal.

Are they also still trying to get a "fan zone" in place around the stadium?

Celtic weren't turned down because of the design of the rail seating, they have been unable to satisfy H&S as to how they can steward and segregate seating and 'safe standing' areas but at the same time allow ease of access to emergency services.

Unknown user

With teams in the championship not being all seated, could we not get away with something like this ,not saying we would want to just technically the championship is not an all seated stadium league.

it's nothing to do with the league, the top division removed the all seater rule some time ago and there is provision for it to be introduced.

This decision was made by the council and was made for health and safety reasons as above

IMO standing in seated areas is more dangerous than the safe standing. How many times have you ended up falling over seats ect in crazy goal celebrations (Easter rd, hampden etc).

I'm also surprised the big clubs in England are not pushing for this, I know the fans are, including Liverpool fans.

The clubs with full capacities every week (man utd, Chelsea etc) would be able to boost their income as the safe standing allows a 1:1.8 seat to fan ratio, some German teams use 1:2.

Certainly in Scotland I believe there is an anti football / football fans agenda. Councils are happy to allow standing at huge music concerts/festivals where there is no way emergency services can enter and there is often crushing fights etc.

Have a look at this for further info

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/home

Archived