Hearts Income and Expenditure during admin

Footballfirst

Is ?1,008,030.00 the total income from from all season tickets sold last season? How many did we sell? If we sold 7000 that works out at only ?142 per season ticket?

It's for the period BDO were in charge is it not? If so, then I believe we sold about 3,500 tickets at an average of ?288.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott Wilson is worth every penny AND more ! He does a helluva lot of unpaid functions,his 'patter' in the Gorgie Suite on some match days is the highlight of the day ,he must bring in customers based on the enjoyment factor he provides. He is also, as mentioned the best PA in Scottish football. I'd guess that the payment he recieves just about covers his expenses over a season.

Scott Wilson is worth every penny AND more ! He does a helluva lot of unpaid functions,his 'patter' in the Gorgie Suite on some match days is the highlight of the day ,he must bring in customers based on the enjoyment factor he provides. He is also, as mentioned the best PA in Scottish football. I'd guess that the payment he recieves just about covers his expenses over a season.

Exactly. He is there from 1pm to 6pm and really adds to the enjoyment of the day (almost as much as the bevvy)!

So, ?100 for 5 hours work on a week-end, wage thief indeed....

?80k for security? That is over and above Stewards,police,wages & salaries........Is that for CCTV or the night shift guy wi the dug?

Probably about standard? Most folk are on Double Time at the weekend?

I've worked weekends most of my working life. I've never had double at the weekend and neither has anyone else I know who works it unless they are on call/work in a trade.

But anyone complaining about Scott Wilson? - :cornette:

Craig Herbertson

Have to say I don't grudge what Scott Wilson is earning, best PA in the country by a distance and it's hardly expensive.

Agree with Homme re doing away with the programs - no point in producing it if it is a loss maker and the online version sounds good to me.

Agreed. Scott does a brilliant job at what in showbiz terms is virtually a freebie. You'd soon know if someone crap was at the helm

ToadKiller Dog

Agreed. Scott does a brilliant job at what in showbiz terms is virtually a freebie. You'd soon know if someone crap was at the helm

I hear you can hire a few former radio one DJs these days very cheap , DLT is happy to work for just a BLT .

Scott does a great job for the club his pay is deserved .

Check out prices for getting a DJ for a wedding

hmfc_liam06

I buy a programme for every match I go to.

It'll be something to look back on in the future, when I'm telling my grandchildren about The Hearts :thumbsup:

Might even be worth something if they're kept in good nick,

They are worthless to be honest. I remember a guy in the Gorgie Suite selling old ones one weekend and you're lucky if they were going for ?1.

Cup finals perhaps but not run of the mill games.

Unless advertising makes programmes profitable, I'd get rid.

Francis Albert

I am also a Scott Wilson fan. Underpaid IMO.

As for the programme - all part of the match day ritual for me and I'd miss them.

Scott would be sadly missed for me he does a great job and should be paid double IMO. A couple of weeks ago against Man City we a "stand in" whilst Scott was away at the speedway. Just as well he was a legend.

You're right, it's not. An entertainer or speaker type will ofter be on a good bit more

Absolutely. That rate on a Saturday, for the role he does, is actually very good from our point of view. Anyone else, as good, would cost a lot more. I reckon ?1,000 a pop, easily.

Cant believe anyone is grudging Scott Wilson's fee, more than worth it tbh if its correct he's under paid IMHO, As for the programmes only a matter of time before they become digital versions. Programmes are outdated and certainly not worthy off being a lost leader!!

Footballfirst

OK I've been well and truly slapped down re questioning expenditure on PA announcers. :singer: (all I want is the naming of the starting lineups and the subs)

Let's try another one - I'd hope that the ?210K in professional fees is related to the legal fees and expenses related to the admin period and should not recur.

33 quid an hour isnt too bad.

Around ?10 an hour less than my plumber according to my last bill.

I am also a Scott Wilson fan. Underpaid IMO.

As for the programme - all part of the match day ritual for me and I'd miss them.

:2thumbsup: you are not alone. I have mates who only travell to our away Europe games to firstly obtain the match programme or teamsheet then secondly get to the game.

I would imagine income from programme sales does not include advertising/sponsorship money - i.e a business pays ?X to sponsor the match, the ball etc and gets a "free" advert in the programme.

Same goes for player kit sponsorship etc so total sales income is low but everything else more than covers the publication costs..... A bit like the herald & post if that is still going these days!

Fort Vallance

I would imagine income from programme sales does not include advertising/sponsorship money - i.e a business pays ?X to sponsor the match, the ball etc and gets a "free" advert in the programme.

Same goes for player kit sponsorship etc so total sales income is low but everything else more than covers the publication costs..... A bit like the herald & post if that is still going these days!

That may well be the case. However based on the programme expenditure being relatively high it would look like 9k was the actual income from sales, possibly after paying the sellers. As I said that figure only works out at about 300 per match. My son used to sell programmes when the attendances were much smaller and he sold around 250 on his own. Had a good patch outside the Arms though ! I genuinly think its an error. Either that or thefigures aren't as straight forward as they look to someone as simplistic as me.

Oxford City

Anyone criticising Scott Wilson can't get to many away games, otherwise they'd know how good he is....

Dr. Bapswent

Anyone criticising Scott Wilson can't get to many away games, otherwise they'd know how good he is....

Worth every penny.

Jambo, Goodbye

Jkb knickers in a twist as usual. Not one post criticising him yet.

Does the loss of around ?80,000 over this period, coupled with the fact BDO inherited a cash balance of ?7,000 not mean we had a heavy negative cash balance when we exited admin?

Just listen to the "squeaky voice" emanating from Fester Rd and our Scott is way way better and funnier.

Plus it's not really 2-5, he'll spend time through the week organising his playlist etc. Good value in the end imo.

No doubt Scott Wilson is the best in Scottish football, but I had to laugh at the the playlist bit. I don't think he's updated it much in years. One of my gripes with him is the lack of variety or current music that gets played. ?100 quid is good value.

The match programme is a vehicle for club news and a substantial amount of advertising revenue

I know it's hard to Beleive but not every Hearts fan has or in fact wants access to the internet especially many of our older fans who find technology a maze, obviously over time this will change, but at this time the match programme is still essential to every club in the country and part of the match day experience, if it was such a drain on club resources I'm sure AB would be on top and look for a cheaper alternative.

Actually how many on here criticising the Hearts programme actually read it ?

It is an excellent publication

The match programme is a vehicle for club news and a substantial amount of advertising revenue

I know it's hard to Beleive but not every Hearts fan has or in fact wants access to the internet especially many of our older fans who find technology a maze, obviously over time this will change, but at this time the match programme is still essential to every club in the country and part of the match day experience, if it was such a drain on club resources I'm sure AB would be on top and look for a cheaper alternative.

Actually how many on here criticising the Hearts programme actually read it ?

It is an excellent publication

It is. It has won awards and is probably the best program I have read.

Aside from Hearts news, it also has a lot of general interest stories, and has a more comprehensive section on the opposition than most.

It also recognises if it is a significant moment for the opposition, such as the Phil O'Donnell tribute program, when we played Motherwell, shortly after his death, which if I recall correctly, we gae our profits to a charity, in his memory.

Can't believe people are having a go at Scott Wilson, when I seen the amount I thought that's not very much over a season. Very good at his job and in my opinion adds to to the match day experience. Remember the announcer at the Man City game!

The People's Chimp

Yes I noticed that too. There are a few other little things that you may pick up on, which you could question going forward.

e.g. ?2,750 to the public announcer. I don't know if that represents the fees paid to Scott Wilson but it sounds a nice little earner at over ?100 per match

I should add that all the figures quoted wil be net of VAT.

It sounds like a shite little earner at ?100 per match. He's worth loads more than that.

Gregory House M.D.

It sounds like a shite little earner at ?100 per match. He's worth loads more than that.

Exactly, I'd imagine shite tribute acts rake that amount in at the boozer of a Saturday night.

?100 for working 2-5 on a Saturday isn't really a lot.........................

Brilliant value if you ask me .

Some of the song selections show too that he's got his finger on the pulse, although I'd question the "it's Magic" song being played after we win as no-one ever knows what to sing for the second line.

Regarding the programmes, I don't know if the figures will include the income from programme subscriptions if they were purchased before June 19th. ?9k is around 150 subscriptions. I imagine we'd have had more than that.

Regarding the programmes, I don't know if the figures will include the income from programme subscriptions if they were purchased before June 19th. ?9k is around 150 subscriptions. I imagine we'd have had more than that.

Well worth the dough in my opinion, just for the Buzzcocks classic he plays before virtually every match and which my daughter gives me grief for singing along to :)

heartsfc_fan

Wages 2,350,000 :cornette:

Yep. And people question why we let go of Hamill, MacDonald and Stevenson.

The White Cockade

no way we only took in ?9k in programme sales in a year

More like ?9k a game!

bit of a boo boo there

buying a programme was always part of my match day ritual and spoiled the day if I couldn't get one

Hearts produce a great programme and i'm sure it must make money

if you don't like them don't buy them but an important part of a Saturday afternoon for most of us

I think we can agree that Scott Wilson isn't bleeding the club dry. He was certainly worth his ?100 for his performance at THAT party - "Let's get this party started!"

I think Mrs B will have people looking at these figures in some detail. While I've nothing to base it on, or compare against, I'd expect the shop, hospitality and catering to be generating a bit more. Food's overpriced and the choice ain't great. Need to recognise that for each home match, we're competing with every chippy and Gregg's on the way to the ground.

We'll also have a full season's worth of season ticket sales income available. On an unscientific average of ?250 per ticket x 12,000, that's just over ?3m. The sale of shirts (well done, fatties) this season has been phenomenal, so I'd imagine the shop income will be up.

no way we only took in ?9k in programme sales in a year

More like ?9k a game!

bit of a boo boo there

buying a programme was always part of my match day ritual and spoiled the day if I couldn't get one

Hearts produce a great programme and i'm sure it must make money

if you don't like them don't buy them but an important part of a Saturday afternoon for most of us

You think the accounts are wrong?

I imagine that 442 take a decent cut from the sales of the programmes.

If you think we get anywhere near 9k per match from programmes though then you are dreaming.

Fourcandles

?8,200 for pitch maintenance is very low, do we use a contractor nowadays or do we have our own groundsman/ground staff...?

You think the accounts are wrong?

I imagine that 442 take a decent cut from the sales of the programmes.

If you think we get anywhere near 9k per match from programmes though then you are dreaming.

The figure should be for the income from the sales, i.e. ?3.50 x the number of programmes sold. What anyone else gets paid for designing it is immaterial and would be shown in the expenses column.

Of course that presumes that Hearts sell the programmes in a conventional manner, I've no idea what the arrangement is with the sellers. Do they get a percentage, or do they buy them for 50p and keep the difference (?3) as wages?

Or maybe FF has made a mistake in copying down the figures, maybe there's a zero or two missing! :)

Footballfirst

The figure should be for the income from the sales, i.e. ?3.50 x the number of programmes sold. What anyone else gets paid for designing it is immaterial and would be shown in the expenses column.

Of course that presumes that Hearts sell the programmes in a conventional manner, I've no idea what the arrangement is with the sellers. Do they get a percentage, or do they buy them for 50p and keep the difference (?3) as wages?

Or maybe FF has made a mistake in copying down the figures, maybe there's a zero or two missing! :)

There's no mistake in the figures, but there may be all sorts of explanations why the figure is so low. Advertising for instance may be reported elsewhere, or it may be another franchsise operation where we only get pennies for each programme sold.

Scandalous considering the players.

I'm sure I remember seeing our player wages were circa 800k.

We've got to remember that there are a lot of non playing staff wages to consider too - although I highly doubt that would account for 1.5m.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'm sure I remember seeing our player wages were circa 800k.

We've got to remember that there are a lot of non playing staff wages to consider too - although I highly doubt that would account for 1.5m.

Aye, that's true. Non playing staff have to be taken in to account, but weren't they cut to the quick when we went in to admin? It seems like we have been paying a fair whack above going rate for the standard of player on our books.

Rocky jamboa

The hire of training facilities seems really high at ?278k, as does steward match costs, rent and rates. Thought riccarton was a joint project between hearts and Heriot watt? Was it maybe paid for by HW and this sum is paying our half back?

Libertonian_II

Surprised that anyone would begrudge Scott Wilson ?100 per match.

In the scheme of things it's pennies and he does a heck of a lot for the club in others ways

Poor show IMO

Absolutely this

Footballfirst

The hire of training facilities seems really high at ?278k, as does steward match costs, rent and rates. Thought riccarton was a joint project between hearts and Heriot watt? Was it maybe paid for by HW and this sum is paying our half back?

We agreed to a 25 year lease in 2004 and our annual rental fee is around that figure. Chris Robinson spent the SMG money that was meant to have been earmarked to buy a stake in the Academy.

We agreed to a 25 year lease in 2004 and our annual rental fee is around that figure. Chris Robinson spent the SMG money that was meant to have been earmarked to buy a stake in the Academy.

That's not entirely correct, Hearts did contribute capital in exchange for a reduced rent. It may have been renegotiated on admin, however.

WorldChampions1902

So, over a 15 month period, we spent ?36k on Repairs and Maintenance.

Yet another Hibs myth busted that our "asbestos ridden death trap of a main stand" is dangerously draining our finances.

The programme subscriptions went on sale about March for last season at reduced early cost. Would think most sales would be in last years accounts. Payment also went to 442 through their website.

Archived