Wee Robbo & the Academy

kylelauren01

kylelauren01

Was at the Academy last night and wee Robbo, Davie McGlynn and Andy Brown jointly taking the 16/17's for training. The legend looked like he was enjoying himself as did the boys. Also, was present at a meeting where the Academy plans were laid out regarding how they take it forward and the structure. Very interesting, a set curriculum, loads of assessment, feedback, homework for the boys, etc. Simple things taken from Man Utd Academy set up as well. All looks very promising with Paul Thomson having the younger ones and Jack Ross the older boys. Looks like the spectre of Admin had affected the Academy and those shackles now being cast off. Onwards and upwards.

Out of interest, how many 16/17s do we have on the books?

Sounds like a very professional set up long may it continue and hopefully we can keep reaping the rewards.

Also, was present at a meeting where the Academy plans were laid out regarding how they take it forward and the structure. Very interesting, a set curriculum, loads of assessment, feedback, homework for the boys, etc. Simple things taken from Man Utd Academy set up as well. All looks very promising with Paul Thomson having the younger ones and Jack Ross the older boys. Looks like the spectre of Admin had affected the Academy and those shackles now being cast off. Onwards and upwards.

My boy trains with the 05's and I received a text from one of the coaches saying there would be a presentation on Monday evening about the future of the academy. Looking forward to hearing about this.

loveofthegame

My wee cousin has been on holiday so is joining up with the 16s/17s from next week (a week late).

He is buzzing to be coached by Robbo.

I Was up at the academy on Tuesday and Wednesday as my son is with the 15s. I have been told that next season. There is going to be a u16s league which currently there is not. The current what would be u16s are currently subsidising the 17s and not getting a lot of game time so this can only be a good thing going forward.

loveofthegame

I Was up at the academy on Tuesday and Wednesday as my son is with the 15s. I have been told that next season. There is going to be a u16s league which currently there is not. The current what would be u16s are currently subsidising the 17s and not getting a lot of game time so this can only be a good thing going forward.

Yep, this year the club are aiming to arrange a number of u16 games for Friday nights to get the boys some game time. U17s is a huge jump from 15s, especially if like my cousin, you only turned 15 a few weeks ago.

Yep, this year the club are aiming to arrange a number of u16 games for Friday nights to get the boys some game time. U17s is a huge jump from 15s, especially if like my cousin, you only turned 15 a few weeks ago.

it also gives them a 2nd chance so to speak to impress and develop. Wee robbo also looks like he has lost a wee bit of timber.

kylelauren01

Someone suggested Robbo had lost weight last night...I thought it was possibly down to being supplied with larger kit!!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It's just so good for guys my age to have John Robertson at the club.

It's not always the right thing to have so many former players and heroes attached to a club in official roles, but in our case, we do it well. Levein and Robertson are there on merit, but are also a fantastic part of who we are, and who we have been.

We do this more than most Scottish clubs. Rangers and Celtic perhaps equally do.

Not something I've noticed so much at other clubs though. Dunfermline with Mcleish, I suppose, but Hibs, Aberdeen, UTD etc, not so much.

It's not always the right thing to have so many former players and heroes attached to a club in official roles, but in our case, we do it well. Levein and Robertson are there on merit, but are also a fantastic part of who we are, and who we have been.

We do this more than most Scottish clubs. Rangers and Celtic perhaps equally do.

Not something I've noticed so much at other clubs though. Dunfermline with Mcleish, I suppose, but Hibs, Aberdeen, UTD etc, not so much.

Edit - double post

Leishman at Dunfermline ;-)

Hibs don't have anyone like that because the majority of people who have played with them hate the club.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Hibs don't have anyone like that because the majority of people who have played with them hate the club.

Shit! Aye, him. :lol:

And the rest end up being sacked after a short period ;)

Miller at Aberdeen although emptied last season(i think?).

Footballfirst

The U17s have previously had a squad of around 18, with half of then U17s and half U16s. Two or three of the U17s normally have full time contracts thus train and feature with the U20s on Tuesdays as well as with the U17s on Sundays. We only have Sean McKirdy and Ian Smith as full timers with the U17s this season.

Last season, it was again mooted that there would be more U16 games. This was mainly at the behest of Celtic and Dundee Utd who had their links with schools and wanted to give their schoolkids more games. Hearts responded by retaining more of the previous seasons U15 side than they would have done otherwise. As things worked out, there weren't that many Friday night games and as a result a lot of guys didn't get many games, leading to some asking to leave.

The U17s have previously had a squad of around 18, with half of then U17s and half U16s. Two or three of the U17s normally have full time contracts thus train and feature with the U20s on Tuesdays as well as with the U17s on Sundays. We only have Sean McKirdy and Ian Smith as full timers with the U17s this season.

Last season, it was again mooted that there would be more U16 games. This was mainly at the behest of Celtic and Dundee Utd who had their links with schools and wanted to give their schoolkids more games. Hearts responded by retaining more of the previous seasons U15 side than they would have done otherwise. As things worked out, there weren't that many Friday night games and as a result a lot of guys didn't get many games, leading to some asking to leave.

I know you keep close to the academy side of things mate and was wondering if you'd heard any specific structural training/diet changes that are being implemented connected to Leveins vision?

Footballfirst

I know you keep close to the academy side of things mate and was wondering if you'd heard any specific structural training/diet changes that are being implemented connected to Leveins vision?

Until I get a chance to speak to Roger Arnott, Jack Ross or John Cockerell, I'm unaware of any changes that are planned.

Footballfirst

Until I get a chance to speak to Roger Arnott, Jack Ross or John Cockerell, I'm unaware of any changes that are planned.

I forgot that I did hear about one change to their training, and that is the addition of a technical session each week for the U15s up.

IIRC they did two technical sessions and one tactical session with the younger lads up to U14. Once they were older is was all tactical. Now it will be two tactical and one technical sessions for the U15s and U17s.

I forgot that I did hear about one change to their training, and that is the addition of a technical session each week for the U15s up.

IIRC they did two technical sessions and one tactical session with the younger lads up to U14. Once they were older is was all tactical. Now it will be two tactical and one technical sessions for the U15s and U17s.

Is Roy Craig still involved doing technical sessions? And what involvement do the sport scientists have on squads below u20s roughly?

kylelauren01

Roy and Paul Thomson will do the technical coaching. Paul staying with under 12's this season then will drop out and do junior academy overview and technical stuff only when season ends.

Footballfirst

Is Roy Craig still involved doing technical sessions? And what involvement do the sport scientists have on squads below u20s roughly?

Roy is very much involved. He actually took the U12s at the Foyle Cup.

Kylelauren01 will know better than me what happens with the U11/U12 age groups, but they are certainly involved from U13s up, with performance testing, monitoring and dietary advice.

is the technical session going to be on a Saturday morning during the double sessions for the u15s?

Footballfirst

is the technical session going to be on a Saturday morning during the double sessions for the u15s?

I don't know anything about the scheduling of sessions.

jamboinglasgow

Roy and Paul Thomson will do the technical coaching. Paul staying with under 12's this season then will drop out and do junior academy overview and technical stuff only when season ends.

Have they talked about trying to get more sessions for the academy teams? Sounds all very promising and impressive so far.

Have they talked about trying to get more sessions for the academy teams? Sounds all very promising and impressive so far.

there is going to be training Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and double sessions on a Saturday morning plus the game on a Sunday for the u15s.

jamboinglasgow

there is going to be training Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and double sessions on a Saturday morning plus the game on a Sunday for the u15s.

What was it before?

What was it before?

not sure as my lad has just joined this season. I know the Saturday double sessions is all about shape tactics and game play situations. The whole academy is also going to be playing the same style as the 1st team.

Archived