Edinburgh's embarrassing lack of modern sports, concert event venues

Boozyuzi

Pete Seeger

The other c?250,000,000 was peanuts compared to money spent in Glasgow over the same period, the majority of which was raised by Edinburgh.

Yeah. Edinburgh's really kept the country afloat with it's banking and financial centre this past decade. It'd be interesting to see how much money's been spent on both cities over the past decade and compare it with the populations. I'd be surprised if Glasgow's had preferential treatment.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Malcolm Tucker

You do know that the world's biggest arts festival is about to start in this cultural backwater in the east? But, oh aye, Glasgow's much better for the arts.

Edinburgh Festival is amazing, I love it. I love Edinburgh as well, the point I'm making is Glasgow is better suited to myself, and thousands more people similar to me.

Year round, I think Glasgow has better scene for the arts. But Edinburgh, for a month a year, is without doubt the place to be.

Edinburgh, aesthetically in the city centre, is far more beautiful than Glasgow. But for arts, entertainment, nightlife, shopping, pretty much everything else, Glasgow is better.

Come at me.

I give you Tynecastle and Heart of Midlothian!!

Malcolm Tucker

I give you Tynecastle and Heart of Midlothian!!

"Pretty much everything else."

Exceptions to every rule.

:)

Which of the cities is home to the World's largest arts festival?

I too have lived in Glasgow, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I think, with the Festival and all the galleries, the NMS etc etc Edinburgh may just shade the arts!

Beyond the festival, edinburgh lags well behind glasgow in terms of the arts. The festival is incredible, but overall glasgow has a worldclass arts scene that is genuinely vibrant.

Malcolm Tucker

I too have lived in Glasgow, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I think, with the Festival and all the galleries, the NMS etc etc Edinburgh may just shade the arts!

The Hunterian, CCA, Gallery of Modern Art, Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, and all the fall-out/events from Glasgow School of Art would suggest otherwise. ;)

Gene Parmesan

Well, for four weeks a year it does.

Would you say Edinburgh has a vibrant scene of active artists all year round? I certainly wouldn't.

Edinburgh displays art very well. But Glasgow creates it.

Malcolm Tucker

The Hunterian, CCA, Gallery of Modern Art, Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, and all the fall-out/events from Glasgow School of Art would suggest otherwise. ;)

That's not taking into account the Riverside Museum and Tall Ship, and the Glasgow Science Centre which is also great.

"Pretty much everything else."

Exceptions to every rule.

:)

I know ...just being an arse!!

I happen to agree with you. I think that Edinburgh has allowed the core communities in the centre of the town such as Stockbridge, Bruntsfield and Marchmont that could have been similar in vibe to Glasgow's West End to be bought out and re upwardly classified and dare I say it anglified to a certain extent and put out of the reach of a younger market through greed and selfishness.

My main irritation with Glasgow is that Glaswegians are always harping on about the second city of Empire bollocks..... Edinburgh was a cultural and political capital of Scotland when it was nothing but a church with a cow pasture around it.

Yeah. Edinburgh's really kept the country afloat with it's banking and financial centre this past decade. It'd be interesting to see how much money's been spent on both cities over the past decade and compare it with the populations. I'd be surprised if Glasgow's had preferential treatment.

You're kidding right?

Even taking populations into account - Glasgow is the drugs capital of Scotland, the Benefits capital of Scotland, the violent crime capital of Scotland, the long term unemployment capital of Scotland, etc, etc, and billions of Scottish taxpayers money has been pumped into their social services over the years.

Don't you people realise? You're not allowed to actually like both of them and see that one has merits in one field and the other has different good points. Because Easterhouse exists, or something, haw haw haw, patter, likesay ken

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Pant-wetters getting their pants wet coz they can't accept Glasgow is a great city.

As Gene Parmesan above said, it's a great recurring theme of this board.

So, I'll say this again.

I have lived in Glasgow since November 2010. In that time I have enjoyed and reveled in a great nightlife, great gigs, great bars, great restaurants, and great events all over the city. I have lived on Byres Rd in the West End, Shawlands in the Southside, and now live in Dennistoun in the East End. For the pant-wetter complaining about 'gangs of neds', I have walked home at all hours, to all ends of the city and experienced no trouble whatsoever. That said, I have been involved in one scuffle with neds since I moved through. And that was on George St in Edinburgh when I was back visiting.

Folk like to try and build a rivalry and cite places such as Easterhouse, Springburn and Govanhill in their arguments. Do these folk often walk about Pilton, Niddrie or Wester Hailes and think 'aye but still ah bet this is better thun Glasgow though, ken?'.

Edinburgh, aesthetically in the city centre, is far more beautiful than Glasgow. But for arts, entertainment, nightlife, shopping, pretty much everything else, Glasgow is better.

Come at me.

Disagree completely.

I spent about five years going between the two regularly while my wife lived there. I also have family who live there.

In the short time my wife lived there she was broken in to three times. Property vandalised twice. We were on the receiving end of racial abuse countless times, twice ending in a physical confrontation between myself and the instigators.

Arts? I'd say the world's biggest and most famous arts festival in the world puts that ball in Edinburgh court. Entertainment? Depends what you are in to. Both cities have plus and minus points. Nightlife? I prefer Edinburgh. Personal opinion, but perhaps the hassle I've encountered in the past has soured my opinion of Glasgows nightlife? I used to go to a fair few house nights and raves in Glasgow when I was younger, and they were usually way more dodgy than the ones I'd been to in other cities, with the possible exception of Cream in Liverpool. Shopping? Maybe, not much difference as far as I can see.

The discounting of glaring social problems in Glasgow is easily as tedious as those in Edinburgh who refuse to give Glasgow credit where it's due. You cannot simply ignore crime, poverty and violence as boring. Glasgow has massive social issues which hold it back.

I like the West End of Glasgow, and there are a few nice bits around parts of the Clyde, but these really are fewer than the shit parts.

I know Denistoun quite well, as I have family who live there and my pal used to live in nearby Golfhill drive. It is not a good area, and is terrible for crime.

The three big stadiums in Glasgow are in awful areas.

Edinburgh is just a much better city.

You're kidding right?

Even taking populations into account - Glasgow is the drugs capital of Scotland, the Benefits capital of Scotland, the violent crime capital of Scotland, the long term unemployment capital of Scotland, etc, etc, and billions of Scottish taxpayers money has been pumped into their social services over the years.

You're right. We should pump all the taxpayer money into the far richer city. That will definitely help to balance things out.

Gene Parmesan

That's not taking into account the Riverside Museum and Tall Ship, and the Glasgow Science Centre which is also great.

Or Tramway, Trongate, Burrell Collection, People's Palace, House for an Art Lover andnumerous small but busy gallery spaces such as Mono, 13th Note and The 78.

Edinburgh Festival is amazing, I love it. I love Edinburgh as well, the point I'm making is Glasgow is better suited to myself, and thousands more people similar to me.

Year round, I think Glasgow has better scene for the arts. But Edinburgh, for a month a year, is without doubt the place to be.

Edinburgh has loads going on all year round, as far as the arts are concerned. Subjective, I guess, depending on what you are into though.

Interesting that they split up the various Festivals so that they didn't all happen at the same time e.g. Film Festival in June, Jazz Festival in July, Fringe and The International festival in August.

The People's Chimp

Really? There are 69 cities in the UK saying it is one of the best is a pretty bold statement.

My favourite thing about Glasgow is the roving gangs of threatening jakeball neds that mull about after dark all over the city centre :)

You're right, that happens every night. You can't move for them. Oh wait, it doesn't and you're just making it up.

Folk getting their pants wet over Glasgow being a really nice city is one of the best recurring themes on this board.

It's a sound which never gets old.

Noted. Don't forget the big concrete flyovers they slashed right through the city - best thing about Glasgow - you can drive out of it quicker....

You'll not be getting out of Edinburgh fast anyway, it's a nightmare on the road out. Glasgow sacrificed some nice tenements at Glasgow cross for efficiency and it worked. Not exactly pretty but welcome to modern cities.

Have they closed down The National Gallery, The National Portrait Gallery, The Royal Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh School of Art and The Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh then??

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Glasgow has had massive amounts more spent on it than Edinburgh in that time, and the bulk of it is raised in Edinburgh. Edinburgh brings in more money to the economy than most cities in the UK.

Don't you people realise? You're not allowed to actually like both of them and see that one has merits in one field and the other has different good points. Because Easterhouse exists, or something, haw haw haw, patter, likesay ken

Haw, haw, haw Nat.

Gene Parmesan

Have they closed down The National Gallery, The National Portrait Gallery, The Royal Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh School of Art and The Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh then??

MT was responding to a post about all of those :facepalm:

You're right. We should pump all the taxpayer money into the far richer city. That will definitely help to balance things out.

Oh balance is it?

That's ra geme - Edinbra makes it and Glesga spends it.....

National Museum

National Gallery

Royal Scottish Academy

National Portrait Gallery

National Gallery of Modern Art

Museum of Childhood

City Art Centre

Fruitmarket Gallery

Museum on the Mound

Surgeons Hall Museums

etc etc etc etc

Not to mention the various concerts put on at the Usher Hall, Festival Theatre etc etc

Added to that the Edinburgh International Festival and you have a very vibrant "scene", as well as all the other wee galleries dotted around. Whether it delivers "on scene" stuff is subjective, I guess. But that's Art, non?

Glasgow is good too, not denying that at all, but some of the arguments on here for Glasgow are as dismissive of Edinburgh as those that dismiss Glasgow.

Vive le difference would be my mantra.

Malcolm Tucker

Disagree completely.

I spent about five years going between the two regularly while my wife lived there. I also have family who live there.

In the short time my wife lived there she was broken in to three times. Property vandalised twice. We were on the receiving end of racial abuse countless times, twice ending in a physical confrontation between myself and the instigators.

Arts? I'd say the world's biggest and most famous arts festival in the world puts that ball in Edinburgh court. Entertainment? Depends what you are in to. Both cities have plus and minus points. Nightlife? I prefer Edinburgh. Personal opinion, but perhaps the hassle I've encountered in the past has soured my opinion of Glasgows nightlife? I used to go to a fair few house nights and raves in Glasgow when I was younger, and they were usually way more dodgy than the ones I'd been to in other cities, with the possible exception of Cream in Liverpool. Shopping? Maybe, not much difference as far as I can see.

The discounting of glaring social problems in Glasgow is easily as tedious as those in Edinburgh who refuse to give Glasgow credit where it's due. You cannot simply ignore crime, poverty and violence as boring. Glasgow has massive social issues which hold it back.

I like the West End of Glasgow, and there are a few nice bits around parts of the Clyde, but these really are fewer than the shit parts.

I know Denistoun quite well, as I have family who live there and my pal used to live in nearby Golfhill drive. It is not a good area, and is terrible for crime.

The three big stadiums in Glasgow are in awful areas.

Edinburgh is just a much better city.

If you don't mind me asking Mothy, where in Glasgow did she live and when was this?

Fully understand such things would sour anyone against any place, and these things (regardless of city) are completely unacceptable. However, put it this way. My mum and dads house in Edinburgh was broken into, my best mate who stayed round the corner - same thing happened. His old man also had his car stolen. I've been out numerous times in Edinburgh and Glasgow since I was 17. Been in a few fights, all in Edinburgh. No hint of crime or violence through here in the west. Should I now hate Edinburgh? It's all subjective to the experiences you have.

Yes, there are issues with parts of Glasgow. Large issues, same as any other city. The North of Glasgow is currently at least making strides, with the demolition of the Red Road flats, and also Springburn flats coming down and being replaced by better, more modern accommodation. Glasgow has improved tenfold, even just in the time I've been here let alone the last decade.

I have lived in Dennistoun for over 2 years now. 'Not a good area'? Geez peace! Duke St used to have a reputation, but it doesn't anymore. Alexandra Parade is the same.

Each to their own, and I love both cities (it is possible to like both cities, by the way), but Glasgow is far better suited to myself and many, many others.

The People's Chimp

Dennistoun not a good area and Mount Florida/Cathcart an awful area.

Have you people ever lived? Bizarre stuff.

OmiyaHearts

These new venues are islands in a see of crap - have a walk round Easterhouse and all the other areas to get the real shite hole flavour.

You don't need to tell me about these places. When was the last time you've been to Easterhouse? I've lived in Glasgow all my life bar one year. I've visited most cities in the UK and major cities Europe. Also lived in Melbourne and in Tokyo and I can confirm Glasgow pisses all over most of them.

It has great transport links, great for culture, history, music, sport, architecture, eating and drinking. It's a great place live and a huge majority of Glaswegians will agree with me.

Calling it a shit hole can't even be considered a valid opinion. It's just talking bollocks.

grantaitchie8

Folk getting upset at people claiming Glasgow is a modern, vibrant city :lol:

FWIW both Edinburgh and Glasgow have lovely, thriving parts of the city while also having schemes, as is the case in probably every city in the world. I'd love to live in Glasgow personally, the nightlife and entertainment available far outweighs what's available in Edinburgh (barring the festival).

You don't need to tell me about these places. When was the last time you've been to Easterhouse? I've lived in Glasgow all my life bar one year. I've visited most cities in the UK and major cities Europe. Also lived in Melbourne and in Tokyo and I can confirm Glasgow pisses all over most of them.

It has great transport links, great for culture, history, music, sport, architecture, eating and drinking. It's a great place live and a huge majority of Glaswegians will agree with me.

Calling it a shit hole can't even be considered a valid opinion. It's just talking bollocks.

Thank you for your impartial view Donald

Edinburgh has loads going on all year round, as far as the arts are concerned. Subjective, I guess, depending on what you are into though.

Interesting that they split up the various Festivals so that they didn't all happen at the same time e.g. Film Festival in June, Jazz Festival in July, Fringe and The International festival in August.

Festivals are not the be-all and end-all of arts in a city - Edinburgh needs to do more to foster young, up-and-coming talent in the arts and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the same opportunities available to do that. Festivals tend to just plant a large bunch of people from outside the city into it for a month, which is not necessarily how you grow artistic talent - just as having Titians in the National Gallery is all well & good but does little for modern artists. The contrast between the fortunes of the GSA and ECA alumni is telling in the extreme, as well. Same is true of performing arts - there's much more space for new voices in theatre in Glasgow - Arches, Tron, Tramway, even Oran Mor all encourage this stuff. And one of the reasons organisations like that get funding is because they can prove their projects work and are worth funding.

I suspect Edinburgh has persuaded itself that having a BIG FESTIVAL in August is more or less all it needs to be an arty city, but these are real problems that need addressing. It's getting better - nights like Neu Reekie, venues like Summerhall are encouraging newer artists to take risks all year round - but there's still a long way to go and just going "there's the Festival!" doesn't cut it anymore.

And that's not even getting started on the music scenes...

National Museum

National Gallery

Royal Scottish Academy

National Portrait Gallery

National Gallery of Modern Art

Museum of Childhood

City Art Centre

Fruitmarket Gallery

Museum on the Mound

Surgeons Hall Museums

etc etc etc etc

Not to mention the various concerts put on at the Usher Hall, Festival Theatre etc etc

Added to that the Edinburgh International Festival and you have a very vibrant "scene", as well as all the other wee galleries dotted around. Whether it delivers "on scene" stuff is subjective, I guess. But that's Art, non?

Glasgow is good too, not denying that at all, but some of the arguments on here for Glasgow are as dismissive of Edinburgh as those that dismiss Glasgow.

Vive le difference would be my mantra.

As I said in the other post, but I'll come back to it - big museums & big galleries do not create a "scene". If anything, they can create a problem. Young artists don't see stuff in a museum and think "I hope my work's in that one day". They do see the Gallery of Modern Art and think that. The Fruitmarket is the only one that can really fall into "scene" territory in that list. Scenes are formed in smaller spaces, places where artists can take risks - museums are very far from that world. Transmission Gallery-sized stuff, which Glasgow does a lot better - based around the GSA which is light years ahead of ECA in almost every sense.

Oh balance is it?

That's ra geme - Edinbra makes it and Glesga spends it.....

You're a cheery fellow.

Gene Parmesan

As I said in the other post, but I'll come back to it - big museums & big galleries do not create a "scene". If anything, they can create a problem. Young artists don't see stuff in a museum and think "I hope my work's in that one day". They do see the Gallery of Modern Art and think that. Scenes are formed in smaller spaces, places where artists can take risks - museums are very far from that world.

Indeed. Tourist attractions are not to be confused with an art scene.

OmiyaHearts

Thank you for your impartial view Donald

My pleasure. Come and visit some time, you'll love it :-)

Yep. I don't really see how the Museum of Childhood can be considered remotely relevant to debates about "scenes". Tourist stuff is great - and I really struggle to sell Glasgow to people as a tourist destination, because it's a big, cantankerous, complex working city - even the tourist destinations like the Art School (when it reopens) are still working buildings, not preserved in aspic. Kelvingrove isn't a patch on Chamber St Museum. Etc. Etc. But in terms of living somewhere, where there's events happening all the time & where the council - whatever their faults - are prepared to turn a blind eye or sometimes even support events in odd places, taking more risks, Glasgow has a lot more of that than Edinburgh.

As I said in the other post, but I'll come back to it - big museums & big galleries do not create a "scene". If anything, they can create a problem. Young artists don't see stuff in a museum and think "I hope my work's in that one day". They do see the Gallery of Modern Art and think that. The Fruitmarket is the only one that can really fall into "scene" territory in that list. Scenes are formed in smaller spaces, places where artists can take risks - museums are very far from that world. Transmission Gallery-sized stuff, which Glasgow does a lot better - based around the GSA which is light years ahead of ECA in almost every sense.

the gsa pervades glasgow society in a way that i doubt is matched by many cities anywhere.

Fair points and perhaps my use of the word "scene" is confused.

As someone who isn't terribly artistic, but enjoys the Arts, I'm glad Edinburgh has all these things, indeed, as a lover of history, the NMS is right up my strasse. A scene maybe vibrant (straddling that thin line between vibrancy and pretentiousness) but for the humble citizen like myself, a lot of that goes over my head.

As I said, both cities have a lot to offer and both should be experienced.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

If you don't mind me asking Mothy, where in Glasgow did she live and when was this?

Fully understand such things would sour anyone against any place, and these things (regardless of city) are completely unacceptable. However, put it this way. My mum and dads house in Edinburgh was broken into, my best mate who stayed round the corner - same thing happened. His old man also had his car stolen. I've been out numerous times in Edinburgh and Glasgow since I was 17. Been in a few fights, all in Edinburgh. No hint of crime or violence through here in the west. Should I now hate Edinburgh? It's all subjective to the experiences you have.

Yes, there are issues with parts of Glasgow. Large issues, same as any other city. The North of Glasgow is currently at least making strides, with the demolition of the Red Road flats, and also Springburn flats coming down and being replaced by better, more modern accommodation. Glasgow has improved tenfold, even just in the time I've been here let alone the last decade.

I have lived in Dennistoun for over 2 years now. 'Not a good area'? Geez peace! Duke St used to have a reputation, but it doesn't anymore. Alexandra Parade is the same.

Each to their own, and I love both cities (it is possible to like both cities, by the way), but Glasgow is far better suited to myself and many, many others.

No bother MT, :)

My wife lived in three different properties around the West of the city. Queen Margaret Drive was one of them, and I can't remember the addresses of the other two, but one was in a Georgian building just off Byers Road, near the Uni, a gurdwara temple and a school. The other one was a basement flat just round the corner from Byers Road but on Great Western Road near the old Greek restaurant that used to be there. She stayed there between 2003/2008 while she was at Glasgow Uni.

The racial incidents occurred on Sauchiehall Street and in a couple of different city centre night clubs, one of which I think was called Barfly, but I might have got that name wrong.

My Aunty still lives in Dennistoun, but has moved to a slightly better part now. My wee cousin was very badly bullied growing up there and was even severely beaten once, she is a really slight lassie who couldn't defend herself physically from a stiff wind, never mind some of the wee thugs who attacked her.

It's all about one's personal experiences of a place, but I have had far more negative ones in Glasgow, than I have in Edinburgh. So if you have experienced the opposite, then that may explain our differing opinions.

The raves/house nights were usually at the Arches, but also sometimes Taste and as far as Schotts.

I liked the West End, and some of the Uni buildings and grounds were really nice, but other parts were just grim, imo.

I would never say Glasgow was even close to being "better".

Fair points and perhaps my use of the word "scene" is confused.

As someone who isn't terribly artistic, but enjoys the Arts, I'm glad Edinburgh has all these things, indeed, as a lover of history, the NMS is right up my strasse. A scene maybe vibrant (straddling that thin line between vibrancy and pretentiousness) but for the humble citizen like myself, a lot of that goes over my head.

As I said, both cities have a lot to offer and both should be experienced.

Yep, exactly. In order to create the next bunch of people who are going to fill these galleries you need to have what Glasgow has, that vibrant scene, but in order to show them the best in the world you need to have what Edinburgh has. We're pretty lucky these two great cities are within an hour's train ride of each other.

You're a cheery fellow.

Yes I am delighted that Scottish taxpayers throw billions down the Glasgow social services black hole.

Yep, exactly. In order to create the next bunch of people who are going to fill these galleries you need to have what Glasgow has, that vibrant scene, but in order to show them the best in the world you need to have what Edinburgh has. We're pretty lucky these two great cities are within an hour's train ride of each other.

Glasgows 'vibrant scene' is simply media hype latched onto by Glaswegians and promoted to the wider public who are gullible enough to believe it.

A decent city it may be but hardly vibrant or a patch on Edinburgh.

Edinburgh was offered the Hydro by SSE and turned it down. I think it was to be beside Ocean terminal and was turned down for fear of it being another debacle. He city lacks a lot of communal facilities these days.

Always feel the Ross Band Stand should be modernised and expanded. That'd be a good outdoor venue that should be used more.

Glasgows 'vibrant scene' is simply media hype latched onto by Glaswegians and promoted to the wider public who are gullible enough to believe it.

A decent city it may be but hardly vibrant or a patch on Edinburgh.

Cool. What have you based that conclusion on?

Edinburgh was offered the Hydro by SSE and turned it down. I think it was to be beside Ocean terminal and was turned down for fear of it being another debacle. He city lacks a lot of communal facilities these days.

Always feel the Ross Band Stand should be modernised and expanded. That'd be a good outdoor venue that should be used more.

I don't the Ross bandstand would be an acceptable solution - outdoor venues in Scotland are not really ideal! The Castle struggles as it is...

Guest Bilel Mohsni

You've touched upon something that has always held Edinburgh back here... the utter spangles who would see us never modernise and improve anything, for fear of change. The Ross Band Stand is well overdue a replacement but too many complete arseholes in our city are worried that it will diminish the look of the gardens... sometimes the people in our city are its own worst enemy.

Pete Seeger

Yes I am delighted that Scottish taxpayers throw billions down the Glasgow social services black hole.

Stop the funding. That'll sort the social issues

:cornette:

What industry is it that's given the edinburgh population it's wealth anyway? Isn't it banking? Should the taxpayer stop funding it aswell?

Edinburgh Council are clueless.

The ludicrous licensing laws with regards to children, that restricts many of the local bars and restaurants, and completely confuses visitors. Some establishments do not allow children, some do, but only until a certain time. some allow them to a different time, whilst others do allow children, but only in certain parts of the bar, and in some cases, depending on where they are sitting, until varying times. I doubt very much if there is another city in the world that is so unwelcoming for families. Given Edinburgh is suppose to be one of the world's finest cities, and such a popular tourist destination, it is absolutely ludicrous. It spoils it for tourists and the local businesses.

We also have the big TV screen in Festival Square. Festival Square has a popular bar there, and also has space for pop up bars and restaurants, but since the Olympics have finished, the TV has remained off, as Edinburgh Council are too short sighted to invest in it. The World Cup has just finished, as has Wimbledon. We of course also have had the French Open in Tennis, the British Open in Golf, and we also currently have the Commonwealth Games. We, of course, earlier in the year, had Six Nations Rugby too. All of this, along with the bonus good weather, would have attracted people to the area. Another fail by Edinburgh Council.

Then there is the flagship 'trams' which will stop running before many festival shows end or pubs and restaurants close.

Now if the same Council have any say on concert venues, then there is no hope of it ever improving, no matter how much we want it.

They are so anti-business, anti-enjoyment and anti-common sense, it is laughable.

You've touched upon something that has always held Edinburgh back here... the utter spangles who would see us never modernise and improve anything, for fear of change. The Ross Band Stand is well overdue a replacement but too many complete arseholes in our city are worried that it will diminish the look of the gardens... sometimes the people in our city are its own worst enemy.

A bit of imagination, and there is no reason this could be used far more often. Instead it is used for the occasional band performance and a for an hour of country dancing, one day a week for six weeks of the year, then nothing.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Stop the funding. That'll sort the social issues

:cornette:

What industry is it that's given the edinburgh population it's wealth anyway? Isn't it banking? Should the taxpayer stop funding it aswell?

Alongside banking, there is tourism, which is an enormous income for Scotland. The lack of parity in money earned and investment in facilities between our two biggest cities is actually scandalous. I can't think of any other capital city in Europe where such disparity exists.

Archived