Hearts Looking For 1 More Defender

2NaFish

Pretty quiet on this front. Not really any names being linked with the club at present. Still a month of the transfer window to go mind you.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just over a month to go. Plenty time. If Neilson and his scouts can identify one he'll come in. Wouldn't surprise me if one came in on loan.

We_are_the_Hearts

Would imagine they will be working on a defender and have someone in mind as doubt CL would do a random twitter........................

Ramsay Snow

Does that mean the 'zap' knight deal is still on then?

Don't want to say too much guys but I'm hearing from my sources that the Zap Knight deal is definitely on. Can't give my source but I'm deffo ITK.

41Dk7zgI1KL._SL500_SS120_.jpg

Just over a month to go. Plenty time. If Neilson and his scouts can identify one he'll come in. Wouldn't surprise me if one came in on loan.

That would be a good move to cover things until Paterson resumes.

I seem to recall that Kovacevic's (ex DUFC) name was mentioned on here before and I think he's still available after being freed by Ross County.

Just saying, not recommending!

That would be a good move to cover things until Paterson resumes.

I seem to recall that Kovacevic's (ex DUFC) name was mentioned on here before and I think he's still available after being freed by Ross County.

Just saying, not recommending!

Glad your only saying and not recccomending as that guy is utter pish

Nice constructive post.

So is your spelling.

grantaitchie8

I'd happily take him on a 6 month deal if possible. Unsure as to how long exactly Paterson will be out for, and with only really McGhee who's actually played first team football at right back, he could provide a steady hand when we need it the most. Don't get me wrong, I think McGhee will be the first pick of players to take that place, but we're not exactly blessed with a lot of strength in depth when it comes to defence, and if McGhee gets suspended/injured we could be light in that area.

Replacing McHattie and Wilson? Jesus, we do have some stupid supporters.

:spoton: Thank you!!! Someone who's not an idiot!

Ailm and Danny in particular aren't exactly 'big' defenders. McHattie isn't strong in the air either, and our midfield is small, so we may struggle a bit from set pieces. A tall right back would be idea. McGhee isn't quite strong or big enough yet.

You're telling me 6ft 3 Alim and 6 ft 2 Wilson cannot defend a set piece if we are missing 6ft paterson?

Dagger Is Back

You're telling me 6ft 3 Alim and 6 ft 2 Wilson cannot defend a set piece if we are missing 6ft paterson?

Alims 6 ft 3? Hard to make a definitive judgement after 1 game that I've seen him in, but I'm not sure that for a 6 ft 3 lad, heading is a strong part of his game

rossthejambo

Move one of our first choice centre halfs out to left back, said it last season and I'll say it again, idiotic idea.

Sign a full back if Paterson is really bad and a back up centre half please.

Gregory House M.D.

Yeah, you'd have to be an "idiot" to want our worst defender to be replaced. If I thought we could get a good LB in and I was Robbie I'd be all over it like a tramp on chips.

McHattie showed a lot of promise in the second half of 12/13. In the main he's been shit. No positional sense, every tackles a McPake style lunging block, very little pace, aimless punts up the sidelines, very average in attack and is the very player that every team aims to attack against us.

Wilson is our best LB so a good experienced CB would see McHattie on the bench for me.

Can't speak about Alim as yet, however I can speak for Wilson, he does not look nor challenge in the air for a 6 ft 2 inches lad. So, answer to your Q is yes.

The Apprentice

I'd like to see how McHattie gets on this season before slating him. I think he, like a few others, suffered from a lack of leadership at the back last season which didn't help.

After he came into the team when Grainger was injured at the beginning of 12/13 season I though he looked really solid, probably helped by having two experienced boys in Zal and Webster beside him as well as Grainger as competition. I think this season with a settled back 4 and Alexander, with Gomis and Bauben showing from midfield he might just find that form again.

I do agree however another versatile defender would be nice, especially if Patterson is out for a prolonged period.

jambo in iraq

Darren Barr is a good shout or even spend a wee bit money and get Steven Anderson from St Johnstone. Surely we are still a step up the career ladder than them?

McHattie has looked good in the games so far this pre-season, certainly as an attacking full-back, maybe still question marks defensively. I think it would make sense to bring in another experienced defender, maybe someone who can cover various positions, even if only a short term loan deal initially to cover for Paterson's absence.

Marooned In Oz

Yeah, you'd have to be an "idiot" to want our worst defender to be replaced. If I thought we could get a good LB in and I was Robbie I'd be all over it like a tramp on chips.

McHattie showed a lot of promise in the second half of 12/13. In the main he's been shit. No positional sense, every tackles a McPake style lunging block, very little pace, aimless punts up the sidelines, very average in attack and is the very player that every team aims to attack against us.

Wilson is our best LB so a good experienced CB would see McHattie on the bench for me.

Maybe we should bring back hospital pass Tapping and stick him there.

McHattie has a lot to learn, but he's a decent youngster and has all the attributes to make it. Robbie will get the defensive side of his game upto scratch. I remember you saying lee Wallace should have been released a few years ago. "Not good enough" apparently. Your opinions on the youngsters are worthless given your history.

Darren Barr is a good shout or even spend a wee bit money and get Steven Anderson from St Johnstone. Surely we are still a step up the career ladder than them?

I'm not sure Barr would fit the profile that CL/RN are looking for in terms of style of play or age, Anderson would be more in tune with what we are looking for, but not sure if we have the money to pay a transfer fee. I would think more likely another foreigner, out of contract, possibly Dutch, who has had his ear bent by agent DeVries about what a special team he would be joining (perhaps while being shown highlights of that other 5-1 game) :)

rossthejambo

If you're wanting to replace McHattie why would you move your first choice centre half to left back instead of just signing a left back?

That's idiotic.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The defence was terrible last season and we have only replaced one of them.

have to agree

I think McHattie has potential, but it's his positional sense I'm most worried about. On the right back front, could Hleb do a job?

Gregory House M.D.

If you're wanting to replace McHattie why would you move your first choice centre half to left back instead of just signing a left back?

That's idiotic.

1. Wilson is a far superior LB to McHattie.

2. So far in Wilson's Hearts career his most impressive games came at LB.

3. I said if we sign a CB and if you'd like to read the post properly I talked clearly about a replacement and felt I made it self-evident that a new CB would be my second choice but if we did get one I'd put Wilson at LB.

colinmaroon

We're screwed!

Our defence is a shambles.

We'll be relegated!

Woe is us!!!

jambo in iraq

I'm not sure Barr would fit the profile that CL/RN are looking for in terms of style of play or age, Anderson would be more in tune with what we are looking for, but not sure if we have the money to pay a transfer fee. I would think more likely another foreigner, out of contract, possibly Dutch, who has had his ear bent by agent DeVries about what a special team he would be joining (perhaps while being shown highlights of that other 5-1 game) :)

agree, i think Barr if available would be a stop gap at best, but bearing in mind he can play cb and rb and even cover for Gomis it might be worth a punt. Would rather have Anderson, but that is a long shot at best..

grantaitchie8

3. I said if we sign a CB and if you'd like to read the post properly I said we should sign a LB.

Sorry but I'm failing to see how Wilson is a far superior left back to McHattie? He's a centre half, it's where he wants to play, and it's where he's played his whole career. :lol:

As for his best games for us coming at left back, I can remember Inverness in the cup, apart from that I'm struggling to think of him playing left back, far less having his best games there?

rossthejambo

3. I said if we sign a CB and if you'd like to read the post properly I talked clearly about a replacement and felt I made it self-evident that a new CB would be my second choice but if we did get one I'd put Wilson at LB.

First two points are both wrong, 2nd point is a complete myth as well. Wilson's best games have not came at left back, they've unsurprisingly came when he played in his natural position of centre half.

I read your post properly, I just picked out the point I was making and ignored the rest of the waffle.

I can think of ICT at ER. If anybody wants to add weight to the plural part of games, that'd be grand.

Sometimes I really wonder if some contributors here actually go to the games or are they Hobos on the wind up. IMO McHattie is the most talented footballer we have. I you don't believe me watch the Man City highlights. He is good in all aspects of the game. Last season he had a poor spell but we asked him to do more than any other single player that season. Even then he finished the season well. If you were looking for weakness based on Saturday our worst players were on the right side of defence (Paterson + Ozturk).

Sometimes I really wonder if some contributors here actually go to the games or are they Hobos on the wind up. IMO McHattie is the most talented footballer we have. I you don't believe me watch the Man City highlights. He is good in all aspects of the game. Last season he had a poor spell but we asked him to do more than any other single player that season. Even then he finished the season well. If you were looking for weakness based on Saturday our worst players were on the right side of defence (Paterson + Ozturk).

Taking the piss if you think based on his games for far Ozturk can be included in the sentence "our worst players were on the right side of defence".

Can't disagree, he was one of the real stand outs against Man City and I hope with the right players around him he can really blossom this season.

heartsfc_fan

McHattie is the most talented footballer we have? Really?

So he's got more talent than Nicholson, King, Holt, Paterson?

Voice of reason

McHattie has been the weakest link in the Hearts team for a while. We could do with signing a first choice left back. Out of interest I watched the highlights of the Man City game just in case I had missed something when there. Unfortunately all I saw was Navas running past him a couple of times and his positioning looking dodgy at other points. He didn't touch the ball once! (These are the highlights on the Man City website in case there are others kicking about). I know we all see the game differently but I found this post puzzling. I am not saying he doesn't have ability but he's not shown it consistently and has also had some horror shows.

McHatties had a good pre-season, MOTM in the city game imo and looks like twice the player he was last year, to replace him on an upward curve would be detrimental to his development, we be playing lesser opposition than last season so let the lad kick on, one of our physically strongest players

grantaitchie8

McHattie has been the weakest link in the Hearts team for a while. We could do with signing a first choice left back. Out of interest I watched the highlights of the Man City game just in case I had missed something when there. Unfortunately all I saw was Navas running past him a couple of times and his positioning looking dodgy at other points. He didn't touch the ball once! (These are the highlights on the Man City website in case there are others kicking about). I know we all see the game differently but I found this post puzzling. I am not saying he doesn't have ability but he's not shown it consistently and has also had some horror shows.

Bit harsh to call him the weakest link. Last season he was the one youth player who we couldn't afford to rest. Every other young player could be taken out the team if they needed a rest, while McHattie was hung out to dry, and shot of confidence. He's a talented player, and with the right guidance could play at a decent level.

jamboinglasgow

Bit harsh to call him the weakest link. Last season he was the one youth player who we couldn't afford to rest. Every other young player could be taken out the team if they needed a rest, while McHattie was hung out to dry, and shot of confidence. He's a talented player, and with the right guidance could play at a decent level.

Would agree with that, at times he was left isolated last season and his confidence looked shot. Since pre-season started he looks to have had the confidence back and looks to be more attacking. I am sure Robbie and his coaches will be working hard to make him develop. I can see them bringing in another defender to be back up to the full back position but also to add competition so McHattie and Paterson (hopefully if not away too long) can be pushed.

First two points are both wrong, 2nd point is a complete myth as well. Wilson's best games have not came at left back, they've unsurprisingly came when he played in his natural position of centre half.

I read your post properly, I just picked out the point I was making and ignored the rest of the waffle.

Another thread reminded me of this. No evidence forthcoming that Wilson's "best games have been at left back", it would seem. Do you think they will still trott this garbage out?

Alims 6 ft 3? Hard to make a definitive judgement after 1 game that I've seen him in, but I'm not sure that for a 6 ft 3 lad, heading is a strong part of his game

You know, I was thinking exactly this on Saturday. For a big lad he made a bit of a meal of winning headers against opponents who really shouldn't have troubled him. But you're quite right,..... can't judge on one game.

Great on the ground and always looking to play out of defence, but I'll be looking for the real Slim to stand up and be counted when the chips are really down.

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Does nobody remember Darren Barr playing at right back for Hearts? He was a complete shambles. I mind that game against Killie at Tynecastle where they scudded us 3-0 he made Mehdi Taouil look like Johan Cruyff.

Guest Paul Allen

Does nobody remember Darren Barr playing at right back for Hearts? He was a complete shambles. I mind that game against Killie at Tynecastle where they scudded us 3-0 he made Mehdi Taouil look like Johan Cruyff.

He could be solid at times, other times he was crap even in central defence tbf, case in point the 3-nil trouncing at home to Killie where he partnered Webster at the back, was all of the shop and got taken off following a clash of heads with Wilson before half time.

fabienleclerq

Wilson had a very good game at lb against ICT. I wouldn't hesitate playing him there again, however Mchattie has looked good preseason and imo looks set to have a good year. Mchattie was left exposed by the manager,squad size and if I'm honest some of his teammates last year. All of which will change this season.

At right back, Id like to see us play either a youth player or McGhee. McGhee has never looked out of place at RB and he needs first team games and then when CP comes back he should be looking to oust ozturk and Wilson.

fabienleclerq

Darren Barr is a worse footballer than Hammil, who's shite! No thanks.

Can't believe nobody has been on to claim they're ITK about who the defender we are going to sign is.

Tin hat on here, Ailm looks fantastic with the ball at his feet, very composed defender, but got caught under the ball or more than one occasion against Annan, for someone his size he's not so dominant in air

Archived