Hearts Looking For 1 More Defender

2NaFish

Holyrood_Hearts

I haven't seen much of Ailm yet so can't comment on his ability. I think though if his partnership with DW is going to work, we need one of them to be a leader. For me DW is too nice for a centre-half.

IMO, I think Hearts need to do all we can to keep Paterson & McHattie. Given a few years more experience, I believe the club could get good money for both.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gowestjambo

Darren Barr is a worse footballer than Hammil, who's shite! No thanks.

Anyone suggesting we bring back Darren Barr is just plain bonkers.............

I'm glad someone else noticed this. Hence my reason for saying earlier that the right side was weaker than the left against Annan. That and Paterson getting caught out with ball over the top. I also said earlier that McHattie was the potentially the best player at the club. I would qualify that statement and say that he has the best all round game - good tackler, going forward, passing, can beat player, pass and shoot. He reminds me a bit of Peter Oliver who the older Kickbackers will remember. Sadly never really fulfilled his potential but hopefully Kevin will. KM's only weakness has been his positioning and I think this will be sorted this season. My tip for POTY.

Tin hat on here, Ailm looks fantastic with the ball at his feet, very composed defender, but got caught under the ball or more than one occasion against Annan, for someone his size he's not so dominant in air

Heard that Hearts are wanting to get Steven Saunders on loan.

Think he can play in the middle and at Right-Back so wouldn't be too bad.

Jambo 4 Ever

Who does he play for? What is your source?

niblick1874

I'm glad someone else noticed this. Hence my reason for saying earlier that the right side was weaker than the left against Annan. That and Paterson getting caught out with ball over the top. I also said earlier that McHattie was the potentially the best player at the club. I would qualify that statement and say that he has the best all round game - good tackler, going forward, passing, can beat player, pass and shoot. He reminds me a bit of Peter Oliver who the older Kickbackers will remember. Sadly never really fulfilled his potential but hopefully Kevin will. KM's only weakness has been his positioning and I think this will be sorted this season. My tip for POTY.

I agree with you about the comparison with Peter Oliver, let's hope he doesn't end up the same way. I'll never forget watching him in disbelief the second time he had his leg broken.

jamboinglasgow

Levein rated him highly as Scotland manager before Saunders injury, cant see Ross County sending him out on loan though.

I would have Robbie Neilson at RB as cover for Paterson. He's still young enough and good enough to play.

Who does he play for? What is your source?

At Ross County now but seemed to not play that many games last year. Saying that, Ross County don't seem to have many defenders on their books at the moment.

Source is a friend of Richie Brittain so it could be nonsense for all I know.

Getintaethem

I'd agree that his positional sense will improve under Robbie, but feel McHatties main weakness is a lack of pace.

Jambo 4 Ever

I would have Robbie Neilson at RB as cover for Paterson. He's still young enough and good enough to play.

I agree with this. Maybe he really doesn't want to play anymore?!

That's nonsense.

A: he stopped playing long ago. Folk talk about Skacel not having a pre season!

B: he was a dreadful football player.

scott herbertson

Saunders signed a new 1 year deal with Ros County in May so it would be odd if he was loaned out

That's nonsense.

Harsh saying he was dreadful. Consistently average would be more accurate and fairer.

Gregory House M.D.

Harsh saying he was dreadful. Consistently average would be more accurate and fairer.

He was consistently good defensively and was brilliant when he came back from injury in I think 08/09.

It's cool to say he shite on here though because he didn't get forward as much as a modern full back and was a bit slow. Pretty boring TBH.

He was so "shite" he was signed for an English Championship club at 29. :vrface:

Utterly woeful. Shockingly bad. Bizarrely lauded as a good player.

I'm not the bus with the new regime and all that, I just won't pretend he was a great player.

We_are_the_Hearts

To say he was dreadful is lies, to say he was good as lies. An average player who carved out a good career because of a great attitude, being professional and always giving the max. Hopefully he can instil it in our young players.

To say he was dreadful is lies, to say he was good as lies. An average player who carved out a good career because of a great attitude, being professional and always giving the max. Hopefully he can instil it in our young players.

He was dreadful, I'm not a liar.

Ta.

He was dreadful, I'm not a liar.

Ta.

Ok, you are not a liar, you are just talking nonsense. Neilson was neither dreadful nor good, he was a solid pro that did his job in a professional manner, and with this came a Scottish Cup winners medal and a right good push towards the title that same year.

Clerry Jambo

He was consistently good defensively and was brilliant when he came back from injury in I think 08/09.

It's cool to say he shite on here though because he didn't get forward as much as a modern full back and was a bit slow. Pretty boring TBH.

He was so "shite" he was signed for an English Championship club at 29. :vrface:

Correct, he might also teach Paterson and co how to tackle

rossthejambo

Neilson was a very limited footballer, but his work ethic was second to none.

What that has to do with us signing a new defender I don't know.

Ok, you are not a liar, you are just talking nonsense. Neilson was neither dreadful nor good, he was a solid pro that did his job in a professional manner, and with this came a Scottish Cup winners medal and a right good push towards the title that same year.

I'm aware of the players he played with but he was painfully deficient. Defensively exposed, he generally chummed a winger down the channel, distribution wise, it was either the seven iron to "space" or a throw in. No thanks.

Anyway, I've made so many posts on Neilson's playing ability, I don't want to do it any more, he's our coach now.

Its pointless arguing about Robbie's playing ability. He is our coach now and that is what he should be judged on. Early signs suggest he may do quite well for us.

IMO Robbie was a very limited footballer who did well to have the career he did in first class football.

However sometimes the best players do not make the best coaches - look at Sir Alex - pretty ordinary as a player.

Signs are that Robbie has his head screwed on and seems to be a good man manager. We need to give him our full backing.

That's nonsense.

Dreadful is Kevin Twaddle

Neilson was a good solid pro who knew how to defend

Knew his limitations but to say he was dreadful is ignorant and disrespectful

Neilson was dreadful aye? Heard it all now :lol:

So dreadful he held his place in the best hearts team of a generation, played in the champions league and was capped for Scotland.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

So dreadful he held his place in the best hearts team of a generation, played in the champions league and was capped for Scotland.

And ensured we won a Scottish Cup, and scored a winning European goal against a side who just did not do losing at home.

Dreadful is Kevin Twaddle

Neilson was a good solid pro who knew how to defend

Knew his limitations but to say he was dreadful is ignorant and disrespectful

:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

And ensured we won a Scottish Cup, and scored a winning European goal against a side who just did not do losing at home.

..... and so to summarise, there are many singular expressions that could sum up Robbie Nielson's tenure as a Hearts player.

One of them isn't Legend, but equally off the mark is Dreadful.

I'll go for ........... Competent

Guest Bilel Mohsni

..... and so to summarise, there are many singular exp<b></b>ressions that could sum up Robbie Nielson's tenure as a Hearts player.

One of them isn't Legend, but equally off the mark is Dreadful.

I'll go for ........... Competent

I'll go for: determined.

I always thought Robbie would have been am excellent centre back if only he was 4 inches taller.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Fort Vallance

I always thought Robbie would have been am excellent centre back if only he was 4 inches taller.

If yer auntie had baws.........

If yer auntie had baws.........

Point stands though, he read the game well, tackled well, was 100% committed, it was his lack of height that stopped him being moved to centre half

Fort Vallance

Point stands though, he read the game well, tackled well, was 100% committed, it was his lack of height that stopped him being moved to centre half

Sent from my HTC One using TapatalkI wouldn't disagree with any of that. And sitting in the first couple of rows from the front wouldn't have been so hazardous.

Fort Vallance

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. And sitting in the first couple of rows from the front wouldn't have been so hazardous.

Its funny that folk will defend Neilson and slate McHattie and vice versa, but there you go.

Re the new defender, if recent history is anything to go by, we should look towards youngish players, who may be a little down on their luck, who have plyed their trade in the dutch leagues. Or not

upgotheheads

I remember when he came back into the team at Love street after a longish spell out through injury. he was usually taken for granted as a player but he was a stand-out (relatively speaking) and was seriously missed while injured.

I remember when he came back into the team at Love street after a longish spell out through injury. he was usually taken for granted as a player but he was a stand-out (relatively speaking) and was seriously missed while injured.

This

Hearts fans are a bunch of moaning old women half the time and we didn't realise what we had until he was out the team

It's only when you watch the defence struggle last year you realise how good a guy like Neilson actually was at defending

Anyone suggesting we bring back Darren Barr is just plain bonkers.............

I had the pleasure of meeting Darren Barr on Sunday there in Glasgow. He said he was training with Partick.

Bert Le Clos

Yeah, you'd have to be an "idiot" to want our worst defender to be replaced. If I thought we could get a good LB in and I was Robbie I'd be all over it like a tramp on chips.

McHattie showed a lot of promise in the second half of 12/13. In the main he's been shit. No positional sense, every tackles a McPake style lunging block, very little pace, aimless punts up the sidelines, very average in attack and is the very player that every team aims to attack against us.

Wilson is our best LB so a good experienced CB would see McHattie on the bench for me.

The amount of times McHattie misjudged headers, allowing the ball to drop over his head and letting a winger in behind last season was unbelievable.

Don't really understand why you would move Wilson from his best position though.

First choice left back please, preferably one who can also cover right back if needed.

Archived