New Deals

mainstandjambo

Harry Palmer

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20140723/new-deals-for-duo_2241384_4029572

New deals for duo

Rising stars Angus Beith and Liam Smith have both pledged their immediate futures to the club.

The duo - graduates of the Hearts Football Academy - have signed contract extensions until 2016, keeping them in Gorgie for another two years.

18-year old Angus featured in several first-team squads last season, making his top team bow in the 0-0 friendly match against Wolfbsurg in November 2013.

Full-back Liam, also 18, captained last year's U20s to the Final of the Scottish Youth Cup, where the Wee Jambos agonisingly lost out on penalties to Rangers.

Both players have found themselves in head coach Robbie Neilson's pre-season plans this campaign as they look impress in the U20s and challenge for spots in the first-team squad.

heartsfc_fan

Hearing negotiations have turned a bit tentative with Walker.

Didn't think he was out of contract?

The Treasurer

Hearing negotiations have turned a bit tentative with Walker.

Needs to up his game to deserve any sort of deal let alone an improved one

Needs to up his game to deserve any sort of deal let alone an improved one

really? I think he's done well but most players at Hearts have room to give more.

An improved, revised new deal is on the table but bits and bobs causing it to stall just now.

Two year deals at this stage of their careers is right. If we get to next summer and they've in proved we can deal them in again.

Two year deals at this stage of their careers is right. If we get to next summer and they've in proved we can deal them in again.

Agreed, 3 max anyway.

The 5 year deals we were handing out to every Tom, Dick & Harry a few years back - :facepalm:

Agreed, 3 max anyway.

The 5 year deals we were handing out to every Tom, Dick & Harry a few years back - :facepalm:

Calum Elliot, Jamie Mole, etc. :cornette:

Good news to get them tied up. Don't think I'd be overly bothered if Walker signed an extension. He's definitely got ability, but his work rate and attitude could be improved. I guess we'll get more of an idea this season.

Both did really well though at first.Agree 5 year deals are madness..

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Both did really well though at first.Agree 5 year deals are madness..

Elliot definitely did. He never fulfilled his potential unfortunately, not entirely his fault though. I can't remember ever thinking Mole looked anything other than humpty though.

Ibrahim Tall

The two of them atleast did something to be fair, Sean Mackle though...

We_are_the_Hearts

I don't get this work rate and attitude aimed at Jamie. To me he is always looking for the ball, always involved, always looking to hurt teams in the final third. It doesn't always come off but give that type any day to one that is happy to hang about the fringes of a game

Henry. Henry.

The two of them atleast did something to be fair, Sean Mackle though...

Marco Pelosi got a 5 year deal back then too.

Franco Fascione

Elliot definitely did. He never fulfilled his potential unfortunately, not entirely his fault though. I can't remember ever thinking Mole looked anything other than humpty though.

Elliot's best spell was up front beside Jani.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Elliot's best spell was up front beside Jani.

And just behind S Fletcher for his country.

Footballfirst

I think Ryan McGowan, Lee Wallace and Andy Driver all got 5 year deals, and IIRC so did Jonathan Brown, Jonathan Stewart and David Armstrong

Graham Thomson

Walker only player who tried to hurt Man City!! Cracking prospect if he keeps progressing!! The type of player you pay money to watch!!

jamboinglasgow

good to get both of them signed up on deals, think are decent prospects. I also think Smith will get more appearances as back up to Paterson and McHattie.

Seymour M Hersh

Angus Beith and Liam Smith signed new deals until 2016 according to website.

Terrific news.

The 5 year deals were awarded after taking advice from basketball experts I seem to recall

Anyway, would be good to extend Walker but I can't help but think sevco have already been whispering in his ear....

I don't get this work rate and attitude aimed at Jamie. To me he is always looking for the ball, always involved, always looking to hurt teams in the final third. It doesn't always come off but give that type any day to one that is happy to hang about the fringes of a game

Fully agree mate. Truly baffled at people saying they wouldn`t be bothered if Walker never got an extension to his contract!?

Against Man City you could see he is more developed than others, clever at using his body to shield the ball, skips away from players effortlessly and in fact tracked back very well, so it looks like hes taking that on board.

He still has to show consistency but he is very talented and showing signs he`s improving on other aspects of his game.

I get that we are trying to be a bit more risk averse and protect ourselves from being tied to a player who doesn't make it.

But i always like to see a 3 year deal for a promising young player.

Reason being,

1.they are tied to a low wage for longer. If they make the first team, they are contributing a first team contribution on a youth contract and next summer they are more likely to come chapping the managers door looking for a new deal than one who can move for free in a year

2. If they make it into the first team, you find yourself next summer considering very weak bids as the player only has 12 months to run on his deal and you are worried about losing him for nothing in january

What did Jamie Mole do like?

:cornette:

Starting him in Athens is still the bane of my life and sometimes when I get a quiet moment to myself I need to sit down and convince myself it actually happened

Angus Beith and Liam Smith signed new deals until 2016 according to website.

Excellent news. They've no doubt removed from the contract the ?3K Debut bonus that ensured that Angus kept the bench warm at the end of last season.

penicuik jambo

Liam Smith a good prospect? Don't know anything about him. Iv heard Beith is good.

Excellent news. They've no doubt removed from the contract the ?3K Debut bonus that ensured that Angus kept the bench warm at the end of last season.

Nah.

Not buying that at all.

Nah.

Not buying that at all.

It's true. There were, and still are, some weird things in a lot of the current contracts.

It looks like these deals are just part of the process to normalise them.

It's true. There were, and still are, some weird things in a lot of the current contracts.

It looks like these deals are just part of the process to normalise them.

Why would you give a young lad a ?3k debut bonus though? An appearance bonus yes, but a debut bonus of that amount? Nah.

Why would you give a young lad a ?3k debut bonus though? An appearance bonus yes, but a debut bonus of that amount? Nah.

Well, they didn't pay a debut bonus did they? They had him on the bench about 10 times.

Seymour M Hersh

Well, they didn't pay a debut bonus did they? They had him on the bench about 10 times.

Don't think he had anything like that in his first contract. Otherwise surely it would have been paid after his debut against the German team.

Ye I realise that..that's not my question at all though.

Why would they put it in his contract in the first place?

Did Jim McLean not dish out ten year deals when he was at Dundee Utd?

aye when they were young and was paying them two bob a week

all their earnings was in their win bonuses.

Ibrahim Tall

A motivator to better and improve himself and make the first team id imagine. The vast majority of youth players never do and ?3k is quite a motivator for a young guy. In the scheme of things it's **** all to a football team not in administration though.

The 5 year deals were awarded after taking advice from basketball experts I seem to recall

Anyway, would be good to extend Walker but I can't help but think sevco have already been whispering in his ear....

His 'father in law' is certainly bending his ear to get him to turn down the deal and see if Rangers come in.

Jambo 4 Ever

His 'father in law' is certainly bending his ear to get him to turn down the deal and see if Rangers come in.

How annoying!

Hopefully he won't listen to the father in law

How annoying!

Hopefully he won't listen to the father in law

Career ender if he does.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Absolutely this. Remember the lads have just played in circumstances even the most experienced players don't go through and they are younger than 98% of the people who berate him. He will be a top player if he is given time and encouraged. Next season will be massive in his development and I can't wait to see some of the young lads light up the league with pressure of last season off their minds

Absolutely this. Remember the lads have just played in circumstances even the most experienced players don't go through and they are younger than 98% of the people who berate him. He will be a top player if he is given time and encouraged. Next season will be massive in his development and I can't wait to see some of the young lads light up the league with pressure of last season off their minds

I think Walker was lazy most times I saw him play last season, that said I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he does it this season. I also don't agree that there was a particular amount of pressure on the players last season. It was clear early doors that we were down. I think there will be plenty pressure this season, to perform against the so called smaller teams, to score goals, play good football, win games and get back up at the first time of asking. Home games in particular, if we don't take the lead early the fans will become impatient. Plenty pressure this season.

I think Walker was lazy most times I saw him play last season, that said I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he does it this season. I also don't agree that there was a particular amount of pressure on the players last season. It was clear early doors that we were down. I think there will be plenty pressure this season, to perform against the so called smaller teams, to score goals, play good football, win games and get back up at the first time of asking. Home games in particular, if we don't take the lead early the fans will become impatient. Plenty pressure this season.

I agree there will be pressure this season but much different from last season where they had the pressure of trying to play good football, win games and wonder if they have a job next week. I don't think he's lazy, not comparing him to messi but people would call messi lazy until he gets the ball then does the damage. Too many people wanting him and the others to run for 90+ plus minutes and still produce. Play to the strengths and let him damage teams rather than having him track back and be too tired to be up front

Archived