Squad Numbers

Harry Palmer

Couldn't care less. Get them all oot after that debacle!

Can't believe they've given 15 to that mince goalie.

Seething now. :angry::angry:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I like squad numbers. :)

I always find it interesting who is given a 1-11 spot. No surprises Gomis and Ozturk are given key numbers. I think, particularly in the UK, it's a rough idea to a favoured team. Over our time using them, few regulars have retained 12+ as a preference. Skacel and Zaliukas jump out. Is Carrick a fan of 18, is it that Robbie has him behind others or is it all just numbers.

I can't wait to find out.

Alexander

Paterson, Ozturk, Wilson, McHattie

Robinson, Gomis, Holt

Walker, El Hassnaoui, Nicholson

With the noted exception of Sow (I'd suggest he came to prominence due to Soufian's injury) and any suspension, I'd say that was Robbie's INITIAL first team.

Pre season form or lack thereof may have changed that.

I quite like the look of this:

Alexander

McGhee - Ozturk - Wilson - McHattie

Buaben - Gomis

Paterson - El Hassnoui - Nicholson/Walker

Sow

Still reckon the opening games will see Bauben and Gomis in the middle with another of Holt or Robinson. Maybe this for Rangers:

Alexander

Paterson Ozturk Wilson McHattie

Bauben Gomis Holt

Nicholson Sow Walker

Prince Buaben

I like squad numbers. :)

I always find it interesting who is given a 1-11 spot. No surprises Gomis and Ozturk are given key numbers. I think, particularly in the UK, it's a rough idea to a favoured team. Over our time using them, few regulars have retained 12+ as a preference. Skacel and Zaliukas jump out. Is Carrick a fan of 18, is it that Robbie has him behind others or is it all just numbers.

I can't wait to find out.

I used to think that aswell. That 1-11 meant you were in the favoured team and a youngster progressed from his inital number to the 1-11.. i.e Patterson.33>12>2

But now a lot of players.. esepically the ones from abroad pick there favourite number or in the case of Celtic.. given a number to sell jerseys.. Hooper 88 or Wanyama 67

Didnt Nicholas Bentdnar so something similar when he moved from 26 to 52.. Although cant beleive many folk bought tops with his name on it.

I used to think that aswell. That 1-11 meant you were in the favoured team and a youngster progressed from his inital number to the 1-11.. i.e Patterson.33>12>2

But now a lot of players.. esepically the ones from abroad pick there favourite number or in the case of Celtic.. given a number to sell jerseys.. Hooper 88 or Wanyama 67

Didnt Nicholas Bentdnar so something similar when he moved from 26 to 52.. Although cant beleive many folk bought tops with his name on it.

Those were kinda what I was getting at with Zaliukas. They clearly weren't 88th in the squad or indeed 67th, those were anomalies. However I can't think of a right back being give the number nine. It's rarely other than a striker. A one is almost always. Goalkeeper, two and three are generally defenders. Continental players (bit of a generalisation but not that wild when you look at Spanish/Italian squad numbers) tend to be less rigidly stuck to 1-11.

Diadora Van Basten

Put 12 on my sons shirt for Walker and he is now 7.

Hope BK has a good season.

Hope to feck it's 'Buaben 17' not 'Prince 17' on the back of his shirt. Want the away shirt with his name and number

Diadora Van Basten

Walker was 14

Must be 14 on his shirt rather than 12, oh well hope David Smith has a good season.

Mr Parker, from Mendlesham Green, Suffolk, tweeted a photograph of his shirt.

He said: "It was my decision to put 'Mings 15' on my shirt before waiting for the club to announce squad numbers so it was very generous of him to offer to replace my shirt if he did change his number."

A nice gesture by the player, even to this guy who most folk would say "it's his own fault".

I had a similar thing happen when a player switched number one season after I'd got a strip with his name and number on it.

grown men getting a player's name on the back of their strip :vrface:

Is your username not that of a wrestler??

Could be worse, I remember one of my mates getting Nade 14 on the back of his shirt after he signed :rofl:

Terrible decision!

Looking forward to seeing this El Has fella.

Taking the 9 jersey ahead of an impressive Sow is promising

15 is a strikers number.

Mind Beattie was given 4.

Anything higher than 11 is a sub/reserve number

I wouldn't assign any particular position to a number higher than 11

Anything higher than 11 is a sub/reserve number

I wouldn't assign any particular position to a number higher than 11

As a kid I have a (probably wrong) recollection of the sub striker being 15 more often than not.

Bunny Munro

Aye that was in the back of my mind. Any idea why?

There was an interview with him on this subject, if I recall correctly it was nothing more than 'why no eh'.

:lol:

I'm no sure many people would have noticed, and I'm totally sure I didn't give a shite; I only wear football strips when playing football, at the gym or scratching my balls on the sofa.

There was an interview with him on this subject, if I recall correctly it was nothing more than 'why no eh'.

Given he signed mid-season, probably no much of a choice for him to stay up at night pondering.

Alexander

Paterson, Ozturk, Wilson, McHattie

Robinson, Gomis, Holt

Walker, El Hassnaoui, Nicholson

With the noted exception of Sow (I'd suggest he came to prominence due to Soufian's injury) and any suspension, I'd say that was Robbie's INITIAL first team.

Pre season form or lack thereof may have changed that.

Why do people still think we'll play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 when Robbie's played 4-4-2 every match of pre-season?

Why do people still think we'll play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 when Robbie's played 4-4-2 every match of pre-season?

The above was guess work, Jim. Guess work based on the numbers. I should add, I've not seen a single second of pre season, first time I will se Robbie line the guys up is Ibrox. What I will say is I'll be surprised if he plays a standard 4-4-2.

gashauskis9

Other than for selling printed shirts, I would have scrapped squad numbers this season. I genuinely believe there's something psychological about wearing the 1-11 shirt and I think it would make for good competition for places. E.g if a player is playing the number 10 role he is more than likely to wear number 10 (rather than warm the bench while number 27 or whoever plays).

Just my opinion, I'm a bit OCD with this stuff :-).

Other than for selling printed shirts, I would have scrapped squad numbers this season. I genuinely believe there's something psychological about wearing the 1-11 shirt and I think it would make for good competition for places. E.g if a player is playing the number 10 role he is more than likely to wear number 10 (rather than warm the bench while number 27 or whoever plays).

Just my opinion, I'm a bit OCD with this stuff :-).

Are you even allowed to do that now though?

Chris Benoit

I think it's squad numbers in all the leagues now

gashauskis9

I thought 1-11 with no names on the back was standard outside of the Premiership? I could be wrong of course.

The above was guess work, Jim. Guess work based on the numbers. I should add, I've not seen a single second of pre season, first time I will se Robbie line the guys up is Ibrox. What I will say is I'll be surprised if he plays a standard 4-4-2.

I understand that but think if we were going to play three in midfield at Ibrox he would have tried it out at some point, probably against Man City. I don't think RN fears Rangers enough to think he needs to flood the midfield against them. We seem to developing a system and style of play and he obviously feels Rangers don't warrant a change to that. Time will tell though.

Archived