Man City u21s in Croatia

FWJ

itsnomarooned

Didn't FIFA or UEFA or whoever indicate previously that were this to happen in a competitive match then there's be a sanction against the team walking off? It rings a bell and was maybe in the aftermath of problems the England team had a couple of years ago.

The problem is that the governing bodies at all levels appear at best spineless when dealing with this type of thing and at worst corrupted by money as to have no particular incentive to do anything.

Clearly something has went on for Vieira to take his team off the park yet the Croatian clubs statement after the match is along the lines of "don't know what you're talking about, you'd have to ask Vieira why he took his team off."

jambo in iraq

Good on them! 100% behind this. Only wish my Rugby team had the same guts when this happened last week. Goes without saying no room for this in any sport, in any society and at any level!

It should not be tolerated at any level. Wealth should not be an issue.

My sons have been racially abused in youth football in Scotland (the ex-mining communities of West Lothian are the pits) when the referees suddenly have attacks of deafness. Only one referee raised the issue but it became a 'his word against yours' situation.

It should not be tolerated at any level. Wealth should not be an issue.

My sons have been racially abused in youth football in Scotland (the ex-mining communities of West Lothian are the pits) when the referees suddenly have attacks of deafness. Only one referee raised the issue but it became a 'his word against yours' situation.

Was the pun intended?

I think it is ridiculous that players walk off because of racial etc abuse. It would be the thin edge of the wedge, Players are taking cash from all punters who expect to see a full game, not part of a game because some idiot(s) display their ignorance. I would stop going to football if this walking off became common practice and I'm sure others would too. I certainly wouldn't pay just to see the game stopped because a player was offended by something a paying customer uttered. Anyone who has played football will have had normally unacceptable remarks aimed at them. It goes with the territory. I would go as far as say that it could harm the victims' own case. For example if I were a club owner/manager I would rather not select potential victims than see games regularly stopped and the coffers emptying. As a side note, we would have no refs if each walked off at the sign of abuse.

That is not to condone abuse whether it be racial, sectarian or homophobic, It is a social problem which clubs and society must deal with and I think we in Scotland have already taken big strides. We may have a long way still to go but players walking off is not the answer.

The Treasurer

Didn't FIFA or UEFA or whoever indicate previously that were this to happen in a competitive match then there's be a sanction against the team walking off? It rings a bell and was maybe in the aftermath of problems the England team had a couple of years ago.

The problem is that the governing bodies at all levels appear at best spineless when dealing with this type of thing and at worst corrupted by money as to have no particular incentive to do anything.

I think the problem may be that some teams, if they were losing, would see this as a "get out of jail" option if they could just walk off without any fear of the consequences.

Having said that it is of course unacceptable but the offended team should highlight it to the referee, opposition officials and police at the time so that it is officially recorded.

If nothing is done at the time (offenders told to stop or arrested etc) then the governing bodies, whether national FA or UEFA/FIFA should then punish the offenders

The Old Tolbooth

I think it is ridiculous that players walk off because of racial etc abuse. It would be the thin edge of the wedge, Players are taking cash from all punters who expect to see a full game, not part of a game because some idiot(s) display their ignorance. I would stop going to football if this walking off became common practice and I'm sure others would too. I certainly wouldn't pay just to see the game stopped because a player was offended by something a paying customer uttered. Anyone who has played football will have had normally unacceptable remarks aimed at them. It goes with the territory. I would go as far as say that it could harm the victims' own case. For example if I were a club owner/manager I would rather not select potential victims than see games regularly stopped and the coffers emptying. As a side note, we would have no refs if each walked off at the sign of abuse.

That is not to condone abuse whether it be racial, sectarian or homophobic, It is a social problem which clubs and society must deal with and I think we in Scotland have already taken big strides. We may have a long way still to go but players walking off is not the answer.

I know you're not condoning the abuse dished out, but do you really think that by doing it your way, that it's going to solve the problem?

I honestly don't see why players (who admittedly get paid stupid amounts of cash) should have to put up with that sort of abuse, regardless of how much they earn, and the only way to sort this problem out is to come down very heavily on the clubs involved and impose sanctions on them, and if need be, make them play behind closed doors for a spell as a financial hit will soon make fans of a club sit up and take notice that they need to stop racially abusing players, it's unacceptable at all levels and if a manager decides to take his team off the park because of this abuse, then so be it, if that's what it takes for the completely spineless authorities to actually get off their lazy backsides and do something about it, rather than pretending the problem doesn't exist!

I can't wait for the next World Cup in Russia :(

Was the pun intended?

It's me. What do you think.

Racism is wrong in any sport but you cannot have players walking off the pitch because of it in professional football. FIFA/UEFA need to be seen to be cracking down by closing down stadiums. It needs to be the job of the 4th official or separate observers in European matches.

But then look what little the authorities have done about sectarianism in Scotland. It went away to the lower leagues so it diminished in media coverage. It will be back, with a vengence and then the blinkers will be put back on..

The Treasurer

But then look what little the authorities have done about sectarianism in Scotland. It went away to the lower leagues so it diminished in media coverage. It will be back, with a vengence and then the blinkers will be put back on..

You just need to watch (or rather listen) to any sevco or sellik games to know that it hasn't gone away from anywhere.

OmiyaHearts

I would let thousands of people shout whatever the hell they like at me for the money footballers make. I've had a few hundred shout all sorts at me playing amateur level and it's never bothered me at all - and I'm paying to play.

Not that I'm condoning it but I've never been offended by anything I've heard at a football match.

Players shouldn't have to walk off. Authorities should make the sanctions so severe that clubs would self police their own. The fact we leave players to deal with that and don't punish the guilty is appalling.

I know you're not condoning the abuse dished out, but do you really think that by doing it your way, that it's going to solve the problem?

Either way it's a problem that will take time to solve. What I am fairly certain of is that football will die if punters regularly deduce a game might be stopped before completion. These victims know what football is like and they have the option of not playing professional football. It is a social problem. These idiots don't just become racists when they enter a football stadium. They bring it with them.

I honestly don't see why players (who admittedly get paid stupid amounts of cash) should have to put up with that sort of abuse, regardless of how much they earn, and the only way to sort this problem out is to come down very heavily on the clubs involved and impose sanctions on them, and if need be, make them play behind closed doors for a spell as a financial hit will soon make fans of a club sit up and take notice that they need to stop racially abusing players, it's unacceptable at all levels and if a manager decides to take his team off the park because of this abuse, then so be it, if that's what it takes for the completely spineless authorities to actually get off their lazy backsides and do something about it, rather than pretending the problem doesn't exist!

While I agree in principle with what you say, I think clubs would go bankrupt before they themselves were able to solve the problem

I can't wait for the next World Cup in Russia :(

If media reports are to be believed Russia will get what they deserve.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Clearly something has went on for Vieira to take his team off the park yet the Croatian clubs statement after the match is along the lines of "don't know what you're talking about, you'd have to ask Vieira why he took his team off."

An age-old trick over there. Deny everything.

It wasn't a paying customer in this case, it was a fellow professional who is also taking cash from all punters.

It wasn't a paying customer in this case, it was a fellow professional who is also taking cash from all punters.

That is different - I hadn't appreciated that. Maybe I should have read the link more carefully. If there was proof of the incident it could have been dealt with by the ref at the time by means of an ordering off or by the authorities retrospectively and appropriate punishment (eg a fine and a long suspension) meted out to the offender. I still do not see justification for walking off.

A general question. If a customer or client or a colleague was racially abusing you whilst you were carrying out your work, would you just carry on regardless?

I wouldn't. I'd stop what I was doing and report it straight away.

A general question. If a customer or client or a colleague was racially abusing you whilst you were carrying out your work, would you just carry on regardless?

I wouldn't. I'd stop what I was doing and report it straight away.

Correct, however I'd expect them severely punished. So badly that nobody would dare behave in such a way that it never happened again.

I wouldn't expect it to be "be nicer to Norm next time, eh, there's a lad."

Correct, however I'd expect them severely punished. So badly that nobody would dare behave in such a way that it never happened again.

I wouldn't expect it to be "be nicer to Norm next time, eh, there's a lad."

Definitely. If it was a customer, I'd expect them to be banned or their account closed. A colleague, I'd expect them to be fired.

The only way I can think of to eradicate it in football is mic all the players. If caught, banned for life.

If fans are found to be guilty, the entire gate receipts should be given to the opposing team.

The only way I can think of to eradicate it in football is mic all the players. If caught, banned for life.

If fans are found to be guilty, the entire gate receipts should be given to the opposing team.

Players should get long bans. Career long? I dunno, but certainly a year plus for me. Obviously only if proven.

Fans? Clubs should forfeit the game/cup run or receive massive fines. Trust me, if we got chucked out of the cup having progressed then we would police racism better.

Hard to make any judgement until facts are known really.

Saw the username as the last to comment and just knew you wouldn't be damning it.

If true.

walkin off the pitch i dont agree with its not fair to punish the other fans who didnt do anything

jamtartally

Some countries been getting away with it for years without a suitable punishment. Until either FIFA or UEFA absolutely hammer a club or country then we will still continue to discuss this year after year.

Saw the username as the last to comment and just knew you wouldn't be damning it.

If true.

Not really sure what you mean? I abhor racism in football (can't recall ever posting anything to suggest otherwise tbh) and would fully support a player's decision to walk off the pitch in certain circumstances as I did with Boateng at AC Milan. Just think it's hard to make a judgement when no one knows a single fact about the case as yet.

Apologies if I've picked you up wrong.

Archived