Tonights match report

glastonbury jambo

wattie exploited

i thought we would have a hard game tonight and it seems we still have a long way to go you would have thought the fringe players would be able to play better than what they showed tonight friendly or not :rifle:

i thought we would have a hard game tonight and it seems we still have a long way to go you would have thought the fringe players would be able to play better than what they showed tonight friendly or not :rifle:

Anyway how are you feeling?

The Old Tolbooth

Just back from the game and it was very much an experimental side that Robbie picked to see what they were capable of, although "not very much" would have to be the answer in all honesty, that said, Dundee were good, very good, and Hartley has them playing some nice stuff.

Not at any point during the game did we have anywhere near our strongest eleven on the pitch so I'm not unduly worried by the result or performance, although I will say that the new keeper looks quite suspect, especially at wall positioning as twice he set up his wall with a great big gap in it, and both times Dundee exploited that gap, first time hitting the post, and the second time scoring, only Billy King achieved pass marks I reckon and that game won't have told Robbie an awful lot, but there's certainly no need to go wetting any pants over it!

Wattie's emoticon is usually a good guide, so I would guess he's beeling!

Wattie's emoticon is usually a good guide, so I would guess he's beeling!

Never mind the friendlies

maroonlegions

Just back from the game and it was very much an experimental side that Robbie picked to see what they were capable of, although "not very much" would have to be the answer in all honesty, that said, Dundee were good, very good, and Hartley has them playing some nice stuff.

Not at any point during the game did we have anywhere near our strongest eleven on the pitch so I'm not unduly worried by the result or performance, although I will say that the new keeper looks quite suspect, especially at wall positioning as twice he set up his wall with a great big gap in it, and both times Dundee exploited that gap, first time hitting the post, and the second time scoring, only Billy King achieved pass marks I reckon and that game won't have told Robbie an awful lot, but there's certainly no need to go wetting any pants over it!

"although keeper looks quite suspect" So nothing to wet ones pants over, good, Jamie Mac two then. lol.

Jambof3tornado

Dont think Dundee were that good, our lacklustre performance made them look like world beaters. PH has them well organised and has a good few players that know how to play the game and that was the difference.

wattie exploited

getting better apart from chest pains which is am told good that its healing after being cut in half lol ! :2thumbsup:

still heres hoping we will have it together starting against annan on sat :sweatdrop:

The Old Tolbooth

Dont think Dundee were that good, our lacklustre performance made them look like world beaters. PH has them well organised and has a good few players that know how to play the game and that was the difference.

The lad they brought on in the second half was very good, and took his goals very well too, I just like the way they passed the ball around and kept it on the deck, as did Hearts too of course, but they were a lot more effective at it, I reckon they'll stay up with a bit to spare and possibly make the top six next season based on how poor teams were that we played last season.

getting better apart from chest pains which is am told good that its healing after being cut in half lol ! :2thumbsup:

still heres hoping we will have it together starting against annan on sat :sweatdrop:

Good stuff , still disappointed of cancelled gig at Eric Browns pub back in the day !

Say What Again

It's all ok though cos we're certainties for the league, and anyone who disagrees is a pant-wetter.

Dancing_Troll_gif.gif

maroonlegions

Remember my auld man getting told that too Wattie after his attack, in fact he was told that the scar tissue is stronger than that non scared tissue.Hope you get well enough to start gigging again.Punks no deid ,coming from an old punk myself.

Jambof3tornado

The lad they brought on in the second half was very good, and took his goals very well too, I just like the way they passed the ball around and kept it on the deck, as did Hearts too of course, but they were a lot more effective at it, I reckon they'll stay up with a bit to spare and possibly make the top six next season based on how poor teams were that we played last season.

they always appeared to have a spare man when keeping the ball where as we didnt, and that is down to workrate.

A few decent players in there for sure. Could be a good scrap that premier league this coming season.

Not that I'll be watching any of it.

The Old Tolbooth

they always appeared to have a spare man when keeping the ball where as we didnt, and that is down to workrate.

A few decent players in there for sure. Could be a good scrap that premier league this coming season.

Not that I'll be watching any of it.

Me neither mate, I can't remember a less interesting SPL, about the only game I'll watch is the Dundee derby.

Anyone at the game know what Dundee's striker Tankulic was like? My brother is raving about him, seems like a real coup

Guest GhostHunter

We're notoriously poor in pre season games.

Anyone who thinks this spells the end of the world by getting beat by a very well oiled SPH team, needs to stand in front of a mirror and stick their tongue out at the reflection.

Pre-season friendlies are just that: pre-season and friendly. I never watch pre-season games except if it is on a summer tour when it is enjoyable. A mid-week in Dundee less so.

Hearts have new management and new players playing a different brand of football under RN from last season. It will take time for the players to gel. The time to worry is if they do not put in a resounding good performance against Annan.

letsalldothebeattie

I'm not going to read too much into the result. I wasn't there so can't comment on team performance or individual performances. But looking at the side put out it was far from what I would expect our first XI to be come Saturday and of course 10th August for Championship kick off.

Robbie will have us ready for the big kick offs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20140722/robbie-disappointing-performance_2241384_4021754

We lacked the fire of recent weeks. However, it's still only pre-season, if they didn't know already, the boys will soon learn what's expected of them."

wait a minute? Is that the manager disappointed with the lack of fire from some players even though it's just a friendly? Must be a pantwetter.

Fort Vallance

I get it was a pre-season friendly. And I get it wasn't our strongest eleven. I also get that Dundee are preparing for a league above us. What I don't get is that we're told that whatever players are on the park we'll play with the same style. All I've been hearing is that we'll be playing a "high tempo, pressing game". The only thing that was high tempo was the speed Dundee cut through us whenever they wanted to. Both full backs seemed to make poor choices and Brad McKay has enough to think about with his own game without the added burden of the armband, even in a friendly. The front players, although feeding off scraps, carried no threat. I'm not going to get all cut over over a friendly, but it wasn't good.

Fort Vallance

Anyone at the game know what Dundee's striker Tankulic was like? My brother is raving about him, seems like a real coup

Looked dangerous and got man of the match.

The back bone of the team was removed for this game to see just how they would cope, unfortunately they flopped which I think lets RN know we still need more experience in the central defence if Wilson or Ozturk are suspended or injured.

Ok it was a preseason friendly but it gave the fringe players an opportunity to show that there capable of competing, unfortunately our two centre backs looked totally out of their depth which will be a little worrying for RN.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

I hope I'm proved wrong but....

looks to me like the difference between RN and PH is that PH has a winning mentality. He wants to win every game. For RN that's less important, he's more of a 'nice guy' (the kind CL likes) and that could be his achiles heel. Possibly also over-training players leaving them knackered and sluggish.

I watched the under 20's cup final against Rangers recently and for the life of me I couldn't understand why RN didn't field our best qualifying players. He went with guys who had been involved throughout the tourney out of loyalty rather than thinking about getting a bit of silverware. For me that was misplaced as losing the final I'm sure had a much worse affect on our players (especially the poor keeper) than warming the bench as our top troops demolished Rangers. Lots of Jambos travelled through to St Mirren Park that day eager to see our best team and everyone seemed a bit let down that that didn't happen.

Friendlies like the Dundee match are important to win. They set down a marker and build winning mentality. On that score it would seem that last night was a failure. IMO anyway.

I'm disappointed but still optimistic that RN and CL have assembled a good enough squad to win the championship. If RN doesn't grow some and get greedy for victory then I doubt we will compete with the bully boys in blue.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

looks to me like the difference between RN and PH is that PH has a winning mentality. He wants to win every game. For RN that's less important, he's more of a 'nice guy' (the kind CL likes) and that could be his achiles heel. Possibly also over-training players leaving them knackered and sluggish.

I watched the under 20's cup final against Rangers recently and for the life of me I couldn't understand why RN didn't field our best qualifying players. He went with guys who had been involved throughout the tourney out of loyalty rather than thinking about getting a bit of silverware. For me that was misplaced as losing the final I'm sure had a much worse affect on our players (especially the poor keeper) than warming the bench as our top troops demolished Rangers. Lots of Jambos travelled through to St Mirren Park that day eager to see our best team and everyone seemed a bit let down that that didn't happen.

Friendlies like the Dundee match are important to win. They set down a marker and build winning mentality. On that score it would seem that last night was a failure. IMO anyway.

I'm disappointed but still optimistic that RN and CL have assembled a good enough squad to win the championship. If RN doesn't grow some and get greedy for victory then I doubt we will compete with the bully boys in blue.

I disagree, I don't think Levein does like nice guys. He would have simply kept Locke if that was the case

The Old Tolbooth

I get it was a pre-season friendly. And I get it wasn't our strongest eleven. I also get that Dundee are preparing for a league above us. What I don't get is that we're told that whatever players are on the park we'll play with the same style. All I've been hearing is that we'll be playing a "high tempo, pressing game". The only thing that was high tempo was the speed Dundee cut through us whenever they wanted to. Both full backs seemed to make poor choices and Brad McKay has enough to think about with his own game without the added burden of the armband, even in a friendly. The front players, although feeding off scraps, carried no threat. I'm not going to get all cut over over a friendly, but it wasn't good.

Pretty much nailed it for me.

wait a minute? Is that the manager disappointed with the lack of fire from some players even though it's just a friendly? Must be a pantwetter.

I must be over looking the part where he writes off our chances for the season.

I must be over looking the part where he writes off our chances for the season.

my post was a tongue in cheek dig at posters who say we shouldn't bother about friendly defeats bud.

The manager was clearly unhappy with the application and focus of some players and many posters raised the same issue but were shot down as being over-upset.

I don't know? Some people look at football in different ways but I've always looked at it with 100% and you play as you mean to go on.

Anyway, it's done and I'm sure RN will address the problems we have.

my post was a tongue in cheek dig at posters who say we shouldn't bother about friendly defeats bud.

The manager was clearly unhappy with the application and focus of some players and many posters raised the same issue but were shot down as being over-upset.

I don't know? Some people look at football in different ways but I've always looked at it with 100% and you play as you mean to go on.

Anyway, it's done and I'm sure RN will address the problems we have.

In that case I apologise :)

Nonsense, as far as I'm aware all the players eligible stepped down for the final

Generic Username

No they're not.

I'm not too fussed about the result but delighted that Robbie has come out afterwards to say the guys who played didnt live up to the expectations and standards expected of Hearts players.

I dont think it would be right to single players out but obviously, as a team, we didnt perform last night. I'd hope to see our best 11 on Saturday and hopefully a much better performance.

I was at the game last night and I disagree entirely with this post and others, RN's comments today reinforce my view.

The game itself was disappointing and as RN says those who got the chance didn't take it, however, what CL has always had and in the majority of the teams RN played in was a solid spine to the team - Keeper - Centre Half pairing, central midfield and a strong central striker - the wide positions and other attacking options are where the creativity comes from. Last night that spine was missing and in Gallagher we had a debut keeper who is still young. In other friendlies we have had the solid spine and looked very organised and in Sow we hopefully have the central attacking player who can hold up play and score goals. Most of the lads on the bench played on Friday night against a strong mobile Man City team - there was no need to play these guys last night with the first competitive game of the season this Saturday.

Neilson himself is a winner - he even by his own admission wasn't the greatest player in the world but his determination and drive to succeed got him to the first choice right back in a strong Hearts team. His tackle in the 2006 cup final and his penalty in the shoot out tell you everything you need to know about the guys winning mentality. CL himself was a winner and he would not have picked RN as coach if he thought he was some sort of soft touch.

The U20's cup final - we would have won had it not been for the terrible goalkeeping. The players who could've played didn't to let the guys who got to the final have their moment - a real sign of togetherness in the squad, and the right decision on RN's part. Be sure with the first team no such sentiment will be shown. He's assembled a decent squad with cover all over the park so if you don't perform you'll be on the bench.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

I was at the game last night and I disagree entirely with this post and others, RN's comments today reinforce my view.

The game itself was disappointing and as RN says those who got the chance didn't take it, however, what CL has always had and in the majority of the teams RN played in was a solid spine to the team - Keeper - Centre Half pairing, central midfield and a strong central striker - the wide positions and other attacking options are where the creativity comes from. Last night that spine was missing and in Gallagher we had a debut keeper who is still young. In other friendlies we have had the solid spine and looked very organised and in Sow we hopefully have the central attacking player who can hold up play and score goals. Most of the lads on the bench played on Friday night against a strong mobile Man City team - there was no need to play these guys last night with the first competitive game of the season this Saturday.

Neilson himself is a winner - he even by his own admission wasn't the greatest player in the world but his determination and drive to succeed got him to the first choice right back in a strong Hearts team. His tackle in the 2006 cup final and his penalty in the shoot out tell you everything you need to know about the guys winning mentality. CL himself was a winner and he would not have picked RN as coach if he thought he was some sort of soft touch.

The U20's cup final - we would have won had it not been for the terrible goalkeeping. The players who could've played didn't to let the guys who got to the final have their moment - a real sign of togetherness in the squad, and the right decision on RN's part. Be sure with the first team no such sentiment will be shown. He's assembled a decent squad with cover all over the park so if you don't perform you'll be on the bench.

I agree with the bits in bold. RN was indeed a winner as a player but, I'd like to see that in his management too. On very limited evidence so far with regard to managing, I haven't seen it. I do hope it emerges. As for the U20's cup final, it was there for the taking. A bit of added togetherness is great but not at the risk of winning a trophy. These are the things players and fans remember, not how good it was in the dressing room. Surely the point of having a tight bonded group of players is to make it more likely to win honours?!!

And, football is part of the entertainment industry. Fans pay to watch good football and win cups. You can't put the young lads feelings first ahead of giving the fans what they want. There's no way Sir Alex Fergusson would do that and ooh how much reward his young players enjoyed.

wattie exploited

Good stuff , still disappointed of cancelled gig at Eric Browns pub back in the day !

that was a long time back good i allways remember some guy who used to always stand at the front with a pair of drum sticks playing air drums he was a mentalist for sure :drummer:

that was a long time back good i allways remember some guy who used to always stand at the front with a pair of drum sticks playing air drums he was a mentalist for sure :drummer:

I was at the back with a microphone thinking I was the lead singer

RenfrewHearts

All the players eligible for the final did play. Nicholson, King, McGhee and Carrick.

wattie exploited

I was at the back with a microphone thinking I was the lead singer

you were lol ! :band2:

you were lol ! :band2:

Bloody polis spoilt it that night, knew all the words to Army Life as well !

Sub4TiddlerMurray

All the players eligible for the final did play. Nicholson, King, McGhee and Carrick.

You are right. I'll get my coat

Archived