Is the Guardian turning into Mail online?

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I saw this article today and thought what twaddle

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents

but then it made me think, it feels like those mail online columns like the woman who thinks all other women are just jealous of her which are done purely to get people to go onto the mail website. And is not like its an isolated article, for example one article recently is about how the world cup is sexist. The comment is free section seems to be full of attention grabbing headlines that are full poorly constructed arguments underneath. So is the Guardian now going for the shameless attention articles that it criticises mail online for?

Tommy Wiseau

Comment Is Free is beyond parody now, for the most part. No wonder the right rip the pish out of the Guardian when it allows pish like that to be routinely published. :lol:

The Guardian sports pages are good, but the rest of it is a pile of pish, as are most newspapers. Being a paper that still is 'broadsheet' in hard copy does not change that.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Comment is Free below the line is even funnier than articles as dreadful as that. Seething lefties gyrating in any way possible to blame anything on "neo liberalism", "Thatcher" and "Clegg". Comedy gold.

Comment is Free below the line is even funnier than articles as dreadful as that. Seething lefties gyrating in any way possible to blame anything on "neo liberalism", "Thatcher" and "Clegg". Comedy gold.

Generally, you may be right. The comments below that article are quite funny, though - they're just ripping the p1sh out of it.

The Graun has picked up a bad habit of publishing stupid articles such as this one just in order to provoke a reaction. People have huge stormy arguments in the comments section and the Graun gets to say it gets lots of clicks. Shame, but if we want free papers then we have to put up with pish like this generating hits for their advertising revenue.

The Graun employs some excellent journalists (Nick Davies being one) but it's website is 75% clickbait these days, sadly. They'd be better paywalling it as they're losing any semblance of respectability. Some of the pseudo-feminist shite they've been publishing recently is beyond parody.

I P Knightley

Is anyone up for a "Let's make The Grauniad readers SEETHE" attempt?

(I still chuckle thinking of the marvellous effort on the Daily Mail.)

Geoff Kilpatrick

Is anyone up for a "Let's make The Grauniad readers SEETHE" attempt?

(I still chuckle thinking of the marvellous effort on the Daily Mail.)

Too late. Tubes like The Great Ron Rafferty live in a state of permaseethe!

jamboinglasgow

The Mail has many a Greenwald writing for it. Don't be silly OP.

you miss my point.

TheMaganator

The answer is yes.

I've been saying for ages.

The Guardian is just the Daily Mail for lefties.

The Guardian is a total shitehole of a newspaper these days. The type of people it's aimed at do my head in so I read it as little as possible.

auth_1-1143-600.jpg

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

It's been getting sillier lately.

Every 3rd article is some kind of thing about pop songs being part of 'rape culture' or some other nonsense.

That piece is beyond parody. There was a time the Guardian was a good newspaper, now it just plays to the gallery of believers.

Actually find their sports writers to be some of the best, very rarely read their news or editorial's however.

Geoff Kilpatrick

One thing I will say - their Aussie edition is very good. Then again, the Fairfax and Murdoch papers are dreadful.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The guardian does hard news and sport brilliantly.

It's coverage of politics on the other is hopeless because it clings to the idea that Labour are somehow left leaning and a party of the people (:lol:) Polly Toynbee is one giant Facepalm.

As for the comment is free section, it's loaded with feminists complaining about issues they've invented themselves for the purposes of writing an article. If I want to hear some burd complaining, I'll go round tesco with our lass thank you very much.

Archived