FIFA player of the tournament and other awards

vegas-voss

Messi - Best Player

Neuer - Best keeper

Rodriguez - Top Scorer

Pogba - Best young player

Not sure I agree with the best player awards as I feel Messi was very quiet in most games and Rodriguez should have best young player award as well imo if not best player unless at 22 he is too old to get award of course.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

Lionel Messi said today, "It was so close, we're angry to lose like that. Best player of tournament? Doesn't matter, you don't play for individual trophies." Would agree with that.

Lionel Messi said today, "It was so close, we're angry to lose like that. Best player of tournament? Doesn't matter, you don't play for individual trophies." Would agree with that.

I agree with that as well and it's not him that comes up with these awards

Messi. Absolutely amazing but the best payer of the World Cup tournament this year?

Naw! & everybody knows it

Robbin!

He's was the man (apart from the dodgy dives of course)

Total piss-take that Messi won best player.

He'd been anonymous for almost every game and many, many other players had far greater impact than he did.

At least he had the good grace to look embarassed at the award.

Absolute joke.

Sasathejambo1874

Kroos best player for me.

Had a shocker of a game last night though. Always losing possession with misplaced passes and on the whole had a terrible night. Other than that I would say he had a pretty solid tournament.

BangkokHearts

No surprise at the World Corrupt. Messi merchandise sells.

Gregory House M.D.

Had a shocker of a game last night though. Always losing possession with misplaced passes and on the whole had a terrible night. Other than that I would say he had a pretty solid tournament.

Says a lot that he finished the tournament with 90% passing accuracy then.

Theory being touted on talksport at 5.30 this morning was sponsors would have all wanted to meet Messi hence why he was voted.

Sasathejambo1874

Says a lot that he finished the tournament with 90% passing accuracy then.

Were you watching the game last night? Have another look and you will see that it was Kroos giving the ball away all the time including the header back for Higuain's chance. Totally did not look up to the task last night. But don't get me wrong, other than that match last night he deserved it more than Messi.

Gregory House M.D.

Were you watching the game last night? Have another look and you will see that it was Kroos giving the ball away all the time including the header back for Higuain's chance. Totally did not look up to the task last night. But don't get me wrong, other than that match last night he deserved it more than Messi.

He did lose the ball a lot. Just saying that it never meant much to his tournament. The laddie was class. Only person with better passing accuracy was Phillip Lahm.

Rudolf's Mate

Everyone knows Messi played far too deep in this tournament.

For the award I'd have put these players in front of him:

Rodriguez

Neuer

Robben

Hummels

Navas

Not necessarily in that order but even Muller would be in front of him! I said last night he would be top 5 however I wouldn't have him top 10!

Mascherano was Argentina's best player imo he held that team together but its not fashionable for players like him to get the plaudits.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Agree with the person who said Kroos was poor last night. An unusually weak performance from him.

The obsession with Messi at this World Cup has been pathetic.

Agree with the person who said Kroos was poor last night. An unusually weak performance from him.

The obsession with Messi at this World Cup has been pathetic.

Correct about Kroos. Not wholly convinced by him but he is young.

Messi is nowhere near as good as his fanboys would tell you he is. In fact, is he still in Hummels pocket?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Rudolf's Mate
Mascherano was Argentina's best player imo he held that team together but its not fashionable for players like him to get the plaudits.

Yep another who'd be very high up the list, possibly top 3 and definitely ahead of Messi!

Messi is spectacular, no doubt about it and he deserves to be talked about as one of the greats. For me he still has to do it on the world stage though, which he's failed to do.

What I don't get is those who'll try and tell you that he's actually not all that! No doubt the same who claim Ronaldo's the best player in the world. And before anyone jumps, I'ma huge Ronaldo fan and think his awards were totally merited.

Yep another who'd be very high up the list, possibly top 3 and definitely ahead of Messi!

Messi is spectacular, no doubt about it and he deserves to be talked about as one of the greats. For me he still has to do it on the world stage though, which he's failed to do.

What I don't get is those who'll try and tell you that he's actually not all that! No doubt the same who claim Ronaldo's the best player in the world. And before anyone jumps, I'ma huge Ronaldo fan and think his awards were totally merited.

This not the second time he has won player of the tournament as well ?

Mostly Man Utd and Real Madrid fans.

ArcticJambo

Messi is nowhere near as good as his fanboys would tell you he is. In fact, is he still in Hummels pocket?

:lol: Did you see the one near the end where he came out his pocket did a full 360 round him, kissed his arse which was on the grass, nutmegged a defender only to be bumped by another before MOTM Boateng shielded him off ? You're a poor troll and it's becoming tedious.

PsychocAndy

I am a big fan of Messi, but that award was a joke, who sponsored the award and who's boots does Messi wear?, not even the best Argentinian in the finals.

Nauer should have won the best player too. Against Algeria he was even the best outfield player.

Still a great World Cup and deserved winners.

The Internet

Messi looked embarrassed to accept that award, he just wanted out of that stadium. Not his fault but people will use it to have a go at him as per.

Rodriguez should have won player of the tournament. Neuer rightfully best goalkeeper, that guy's an absolute collosus. Would agree with Pogba as best young player too.

The Internet

:cornette:

Christ.

Sasathejambo1874

Messi not necessarily in Hummels' pocket but he bottled it last night. All the fanboys can be quiet now plz. Great player when surrounded by the support at Barca but that's it. A cold Wednesday night in Stoke and all that.

Apparently fat Mixu was part of the judging panel that decided these awards. FIFA getting all the great minds on it.

FIFA (with pressure from its sponsors) would have decided on Messi before the tournament started.

They probably had Ronaldo & Wayne Rooney as back-ups.

Corrupt.

The Internet

If it was a marketing plan it was a shit one :lol: Messi looked like he didn't give one **** about it.

If it was a marketing plan it was a shit one :lol: Messi looked like he didn't give one **** about it.

He'll probably be obliged to to do some promo stuff and shake a few sponsors hands though and that's worth more to FIFA than getting someone deserving of the awards to do it.

jamboinglasgow

Would agree that Messi didn't deserve the award, but I think too many people are under-estimating his tournament. In group stages it was Messi who dragged Argentina through to the knockout stages. In the knockout stages he had great flashes but just was not as impressive. Agree with what a description I read in the Guardian, "But in the toughest knockout matches he was nullified. He could not do it alone." He was often marked by so many players, and Argentina's fellow attackers were not really stepping up. Messi should be up front with Aguero, but too often they would put Aguero on, put him alongside Higuain and Messi was dropped deep and away from the front.

deesidejambo

Best player by a mile was Mascherano and anyone woh doesn't see this disnae ken his fitba.

I'd be willing to say that Neuer wasn't just the best goalkeeper at this tournament but is the best goalkeeper I've ever seen.

His passing and distribution is better than half the midfielders currently plying their trade in Scotland.

I'd agree that he didn't have a good game yesterday.

Best player by a mile was Mascherano and anyone woh doesn't see this disnae ken his fitba.

He was the best Argie by a mile. Thought Swinestigler was the best.

Say What Again

Total piss-take that Messi won best player.

He'd been anonymous for almost every game and many, many other players had far greater impact than he did.

At least he had the good grace to look embarassed at the award.

Absolute joke.

While I don't think he was the best player at the World Cup, that part in bold is just simply untrue.

From Sky Sports:

So it?s worth remembering that Messi was statistically superb at this World Cup. An Adidas award is one thing but the WhoScored rankings which he topped are no popularity contest, they merely reflect the fact that this is a player who does more of the difficult stuff than anyone else.

Messi created more chances than anybody at the 2014 World Cup and only Andrea Pirlo played as many through-balls. He gave us more ? a lot more ? completed dribbles than any other player with his tally of 46 taking him well clear of Robben?s 29.

In fact, Messi?s dribbling success bears closer comparison to Diego Maradona?s total of 50 in his annus mirabilis of 1986. That seems to sum it up. Messi?s good, but he?s not quite Diego. When it comes to being regarded as the greatest player of all time, naturally, the demands are exacting.

Maradona?s status is secure. But a middle-aged TV presenter was never going to win this Golden Ball and Messi continues to stand above his contemporaries. Far from getting the award because of who he is, it?s more likely Messi is not getting the plaudits precisely because of who he is.

Raving about it if Messi did it? Shrugging more like, numbed as we are by his brilliance. Only two players scored more than him in Brazil, but four goals still felt like a modest return for a man who once scored 73 of them in a single season.

And if the statistics leave you cold, just recall the manner in which he danced away from his markers for the decisive assist against Switzerland or the imagination required in conceiving let alone executing that pass against Belgium.

It?s cruel to be compared to Maradona. It?s crueller still to be adjudged a disappointment due to an unfavourable comparison with your own self.

deesidejambo

He was the best Argie by a mile. Thought Swinestigler was the best.

You could be right there - both Mascerano and Shewinstiger have been immense the whole tournament. Its interesting that the award always seems to go to a forward or creative midfielder, while the solid defenders get overloooked.

Neuer was good but not fantastic - mostly because he didn't have too much to do! I would have gone with Tim Howard who kept USA in the tourney as long as they did.

gorgie rd eh11

While I don't think he was the best player at the World Cup, that part in bold is just simply untrue.

From Sky Sports:

So it?s worth remembering that Messi was statistically superb at this World Cup. An Adidas award is one thing but the WhoScored rankings which he topped are no popularity contest, they merely reflect the fact that this is a player who does more of the difficult stuff than anyone else.

Messi created more chances than anybody at the 2014 World Cup and only Andrea Pirlo played as many through-balls. He gave us more ? a lot more ? completed dribbles than any other player with his tally of 46 taking him well clear of Robben?s 29.

In fact, Messi?s dribbling success bears closer comparison to Diego Maradona?s total of 50 in his annus mirabilis of 1986. That seems to sum it up. Messi?s good, but he?s not quite Diego. When it comes to being regarded as the greatest player of all time, naturally, the demands are exacting.

Maradona?s status is secure. But a middle-aged TV presenter was never going to win this Golden Ball and Messi continues to stand above his contemporaries. Far from getting the award because of who he is, it?s more likely Messi is not getting the plaudits precisely because of who he is.

Raving about it if Messi did it? Shrugging more like, numbed as we are by his brilliance. Only two players scored more than him in Brazil, but four goals still felt like a modest return for a man who once scored 73 of them in a single season.

And if the statistics leave you cold, just recall the manner in which he danced away from his markers for the decisive assist against Switzerland or the imagination required in conceiving let alone executing that pass against Belgium.

It?s cruel to be compared to Maradona. It?s crueller still to be adjudged a disappointment due to an unfavourable comparison with your own self.

Great post.

I agree, by far the best player Argentina had.

PsychocAndy

You could be right there - both Mascerano and Shewinstiger have been immense the whole tournament. Its interesting that the award always seems to go to a forward or creative midfielder, while the solid defenders get overloooked.

Neuer was good but not fantastic - mostly because he didn't have too much to do! I would have gone with Tim Howard who kept USA in the tourney as long as they did.

First bit, aye I agree, second bit way off the mark. Did you see the Algeria game? The only player on the park even near him in that game was Mbolhi. Tim Howard was excellent as was a few other goalies but Neuer topped the lot.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

:cornette:

Christ.

Aye. I mean jesus, if he'd said Boateng then I'd have let it go but Hummels? A hard night for him

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Messi not necessarily in Hummels' pocket but he bottled it last night. All the fanboys can be quiet now plz. Great player when surrounded by the support at Barca but that's it. A cold Wednesday night in Stoke and all that.

:facepalm:

You must listen to Talksport. Or watch Sky a lot, no? Since when has a "cold Wednesday night in Stoke" been the judge of a fantastic footballer? Players like Robbie Savage are in their element on cold Wednesday nights in Stoke. They just never seem to show up in Champions League or World Cup finals.

Does a cold Sunday night in Barcelona count?

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/article/fc-barcelona-real-sociedad-three-points-in-the-freezing-cold-2-1

The Internet

Aye. I mean jesus, if he'd said Boateng then I'd have let it go but Hummels? A hard night for him

Was thinking the same. On the rare occasion that Messi was able to have a run he always got past Hummels but Boateng was outstanding.

Sasathejambo1874

:facepalm:

You must listen to Talksport. Or watch Sky a lot, no? Since when has a "cold Wednesday night in Stoke" been the judge of a fantastic footballer? Players like Robbie Savage are in their element on cold Wednesday nights in Stoke. They just never seem to show up in Champions League or World Cup finals.

Does a cold Sunday night in Barcelona count?

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/article/fc-barcelona-real-sociedad-three-points-in-the-freezing-cold-2-1

I was actually having a laugh at that clich? but have a go if you like. I was making the point that he struggles to play well without the quality of his Barca teammates.

Archived