***Official WORLD CUP FINAL Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bet Argentina pre-tournament and am reasonably confident, although have a saver on Deutschland to cover my stake. 1-1 I think with Argentina winning in ET or on penalties.

The Old Tolbooth

2-0 to Germany I think. Wish I'd put money on them before the tournament. :facepalm:

I did, I got 7/1

:verysmug:

As for the game, Argentina have Messi, Germany have their whole team!

The Germans should be too strong all over the park for the Falkland botherers, and I expect them to dominate which will let Argentina play their preferred game of counter attacking football, this really could be 3-2 or 4-3 if the Argies take their chances, but Germany all the way for me!

ITV Football ?@itvfootball 1m

Germany team announced: Neuer; Lahm, Hummels, Boateng, H?wedes; Schweinsteiger, Khedira; M?ller, Kroos, ?zil; Klose

Argentina team announced: Romero, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay, Rojo, P?rez, Mascherano, Biglia, Lavezzi, Higua?n, Messi.

Have the commentary teams been announced?

If the BBC have Lawrenson it will be Andy and Clive for me, Clive.

Tommy Wiseau

Such a strong Germany team. Hard to see past them, but football doesn't work like that at this level, with an extremely well organised Argentina side and the best player in the world in their way. I would be astonished if this is a one sided affair.

Tommy Wiseau

It's Lawrenson. Mental decision.

Germany to choke after an early Messi wonder goal, 1-0 for the Argies.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the Germans horse them silly.

Germany in extra time. I'm going for the "team overcoming individual talent" clich?. :ninja:

I can't make up my mind which I'd really prefer to win. I'd like to see Germany deliver and see a European team win the World Cup in South America. But I do think there's something not entirely right about a world in which Scolari has been involved with a World Cup winning side but Messi hasn't.

BBC is indeed Lawro

I would be astonished if this is a one sided affair.

Likewise. Also, I'll be more than a bit surprised if it turns out to be all that watchable. :eek:

I'd like a game along the lines of '86, but I suspect it'll be more like '90. :ninja:

The Real Maroonblood

Just use the mute button.

willie wallace

BBC is indeed Lawro

BBC until kick off then over to Clive.Never thought i would ever say that

Lawrenson for the biggest game in world football?!

:sob:

Shouldn't get anywhere near it. But must be in his contract. BBC like their men to be arrogant but he's just lazy.

Here, something to keep you occupied before the game. 1986 final highlights, with Brian Moore and Ron Atkinson.

Gregory House M.D.

Trust big Tam to be the only player to nail the "Turn to the left, fold arms" as well. What a man :wub:

Hopefully secure his second consecutive golden boot tonight.

Hopefully a final worth remembering, cause this tournaments been cracking viewing on tv.. All down to two teams with some quality players on the park..

3anupe8e.jpg

nice one

Gregory House M.D.

Martin Demichelis just looks so out of place in that picture. :lol:

Hopefully a final worth remembering, cause this tournaments been cracking viewing on tv.. All down to two teams with some quality players on the park..

3anupe8e.jpg

No Mascherano :o

Germany built their "Own" training centre for the Worls Cup? Did I hear that right?

Gregory House M.D.

No Mascherano :o

Exactly. The most annoying thing about the coverage of this final so far has been media outlets making out Argentina are a one man (Leo Messi) team.

If they are a one man team then Mascherano has been that one man. Outstanding for them.

An Argentina win would shut up all the "messi cannae be the best player in the world until he does something on the international stage" mouthbreathers.

A Germany win would cause a wave of seethe south of the border. Germany have been beaten finalists on so many occasions and it's a scandal that they've not won anything for ages.

Germany win , please.

Gregory House M.D.

Good grief Diego looks terrible :arry:

Gigolo-Aunt

Good grief Diego looks terrible :arry:

Looks better than he has many times in the past. Worth remembering the life he has led as well as he is in his mid 50's.

Gregory House M.D.

Looks better than he has many times in the past. Worth remembering the life he has led as well as he is in his mid 50's.

Looked awful. His speech was slurred as well. Didn't look healthy. I'd imagine he probably looked worse in 2001 though.

Should say his mouth was drooping rather than speech slurred.

Horrible feeling this will be similar to Netherlands Argentina

Really need Germany to score first and early for a good game

Otherwise I think Argentina will do their usual and be organised and disciplined, limit Germany's space and rely on a bit of individual magic

Fair play to them, they do what works and do it well but makes for horrible viewing

Germany deserve a World Cup after all their entertaining football over the years, nearly men status at recent tournaments and their demolition of brazil

Think it'll be 1-0 Argentina though but hoping its not

Got money on "Muller anytime, Germany to win" and "3-1 Germany" -- wasnt feeling quite ballsy enough to say Muller would score first, so separate bets it is.

People seem to have used the game against Brazil to forget some of Germany's earlier games.

I would also tip putting some cash on the winning goal being someone like Mertesacker or Dimichaelis. (Apologies for spelling)

Gregory House M.D.

Am I right in saying Muller needs one goal only to get the golden boot on assists again?

Am I right in saying Muller needs one goal only to get the golden boot on assists again?

Think so. Unless Messi scores a hattrick...

Just confirmed by ESPN.

ArcticJambo

Argies not wearing the hearts away top!!

Shite. I hadn't noticed that sign!

Archived