1970s-style glass beer tankards

leginten

These fecking horrible things appear to be making a comeback in pubs. Why on earth?

I thought we'd seen the last of them decades ago.

Message to the pub sector: get them TF.

Tommy Brown

seen one last week, more like a jam jar with a handle ans screw-on lid??

Honey cider on something??

I consider that a Dad's pint. Hard to smash mind.

Nothing worse than ordering a decent pint of beer and seeing the barman pouring it into one of these monstrosities. They can all GTF.

When men were men, no need for kettlebells or trips to the gym, just go to the pub and try and lift a full one of them without breaking your limp wrist. :P

Tommy Brown

Nothing worse than ordering a decent pint of beer and seeing the barman pouring it into one of these monstrosities. They can all GTF.

What?

You ask for a pint of beer?

hmm..

GlasgoJambo

What's your issue with them Leginten?

A Boy Named Crow

These fecking horrible things appear to be making a comeback in pubs. Why on earth?

What's the problem with them? I was in a pub in London recently that did mostly real ales, they served in these old style glasses. It didn't seem all that upsetting to me.

Alan Johnson

seen one last week, more like a jam jar with a handle ans screw-on lid??

Honey cider on something??

Jeremiah+Weed+sour+mash+beer+at+The+Landor+Clapham.jpg

This sort of thing? Saw loads of people posting pictures like this on facebook last summer, seemed to be the cool/edgy 'new drink' for the type of people more concerned with making sure people knew about their day at the poub than actually enjoying it. Pish.

The Real Maroonblood

They are horrendous.

If I'm in a pub that has them I always ask for a thin glass.

alwaysthereinspirit

This sort of thing? Saw loads of people posting pictures like this on facebook last summer, seemed to be the cool/edgy 'new drink' for the type of people more concerned with making sure people knew about their day at the poub than actually enjoying it. Pish.

That's a Mason Jar

Tommy Brown

That's the fecker, bloody ridiculous.

3fingersreid

It's an age thing but brilliant there back

Got 3 pint ones and 2 half pint ones in my house

What's your issue with them Leginten?

They're too thick to drink out of. I want to taste the beer, not the glass. They're also heavy. And ridiculously ugly.

Safer in a bar brawl. You can batter someone unconscious with one without the chance of it breaking and cutting them.

JamboInSouthsea

Safer in a bar brawl. You can batter someone unconscious with one without the chance of it breaking and cutting them.

:lol:

I know some people who insist on using them, not for fighting, and even supply there own which is kept in the boozer.

Mate of mine used to drink from a tankard too.

davemclaren

They're too thick to drink out of. I want to taste the beer, not the glass. They're also heavy. And ridiculously ugly.

Totally agree. Got one filled with Dechars after the match today in the CSR and the beer doesn't taste as good in them. They make me remember the taste of diamond heavy, Burns Special, Tartan and other such foul beverages from the 70s.

joe.gausden

Still got some in my mother's house. Reminds me of tartan special and mcewans export at New year partys when i was young

Totally agree. Got one filled with Dechars after the match today in the CSR and the beer doesn't taste as good in them. They make me remember the taste of diamond heavy, Burns Special, Tartan and other such foul beverages from the 70s.

The Sample Room is one of the worst offenders. What's the point in having immaculately kept beer and serving it up in a shit glass?

davemclaren

I've drunk lager out of them before and never noticed any problem - is it a beer/ale thing?

Ale is alive and has to be treated very carefully. Lager is dead so would still taste the same if drunk out of a plastic cup. :-)

The Real Maroonblood

I've drunk lager out of them before and never noticed any problem - is it a beer/ale thing?

Lager is scoosh = shite.

That's why you didn't notice the difference.

That's a Mason Jar

Absolutely true, when I spent time in the States the Southern boys used a Mason jar for their Whuskee. I actually was presented with one and brought it home as a souvenir. Long live the old heavy mugs with a handle.

Keep the beer cold for longer due to the handle, the thickness of the panels and the fact that your hand doesn't touch the sides apparently.

Not sure how true that is but read that somewhere.

indianajones

Keep the beer cold for longer due to the handle, the thickness of the panels and the fact that your hand doesn't touch the sides apparently.

Not sure how true that is but read that somewhere.

Quite funny. They presume the liquid in the glass will last long enough for the above effects to take place!

Science has gone mad!

Haha, those glasses remind me of New Year parties in the 70`s, 80`s. My Dad seemed to only bring them out at that time of the year while the rest of the year it was a regular glass he used in the house.

The Natural Order

Serves you right for drinking Caley Pish Water.

The Real Maroonblood

Serves you right for drinking Caley Pish Water.

You sound like a Tennents person.

No class.

The Natural Order

You sound like a Tennents person.

No class.

Nothing class has come out the Caley brewery for the last 20 years. One of the most bland breweries in Scotland.

And no, I'm not a lager drinker.

I have a dimple pint glass, the type of which offends the OP..

Funny that people say it remids them of Mcewans export etc.. it does me too..

But for the thing it reminds me most of is Sunday afternoons in the Sgts mess in Germany, 81/82/83..

I rember all the adults being totally pished on DAB lager and Heineken served in these pint pots..

I love mine.. Although I tend to use it as a "Quaffing Vessel" more than pint glass..

Dimples = Sesh-on..

Jambof3tornado

too big for your campari and sodas like?

Far better than the oversized wine glass type of pint glass that you see for Stella and some cider!

The Real Maroonblood

Nothing class has come out the Caley brewery for the last 20 years. One of the most bland breweries in Scotland.

I tend to agree.

They did Golden Promise and ERA which I thought were OK.

Deuchars is not too bad although I only drink it now and again.

William Brothers IMO is one of the best in Scotland.

bigladatthebackpost

I once got called to a fight at a wedding (Claremont Hotel if I recall). The groom had been glassed with one of these monsters.

By his auntie.

You could see his teeth through his gaping cheek.

Ooooft.

bigladatthebackpost

Hibs class (probably).

He sat on his phone in the back of the ambulance trying to organise a "wrecking crew" to "take her out".

Something must've gone very wrong between the prawn cocktail and the speeches...

Hibs class (probably).

He sat on his phone in the back of the ambulance trying to organise a "wrecking crew" to "take her out".

Something must've gone very wrong between the prawn cocktail and the speeches...

If it was a Hubs wedding the boy had probably offended his aunty by telling her their normal sleeping arrangements were on hold for a week or so.

bigladatthebackpost

Someone had punched the bride as well.

PUNCHED THE BRIDE.

I despair.

bigladatthebackpost

Anyway, back on topic, I quite like them. But they've got to be full of McEwan's Export or Tennents 80 or somesuch iconic 70s brown pish. Preferably with darts on a portable black and white telly above the bar and the unmistakable aroma of Hai Karate from the chest-wig wearing regulars.

The Natural Order

I tend to agree.

They did Golden Promise and ERA which I thought were OK.

Deuchars is not too bad although I only drink it now and again.

William Brothers IMO is one of the best in Scotland.

I do like some of Williams Brothers stuff. Really liked TSA but you don't see them about as much, they seem to have been squeezed by Stewarts, Williams Bros etc. But my fav has to be Tempest, love a wee trip to Cobbles in Kelso.

davemclaren

Anyway, back on topic, I quite like them. But they've got to be full of McEwan's Export or Tennents 80 or somesuch iconic 70s brown pish. Preferably with darts on a portable black and white telly above the bar and the unmistakable aroma of Hai Karate from the chest-wig wearing regulars.

That brings back memories. :)

Ale is alive and has to be treated very carefully. Lager is dead so would still taste the same if drunk out of a plastic cup. :-)

Oh David, you just don't get the glories of lager. :)

Extremely harsh on Caley and just not true.

Why are so many alcohol snobs so anti lager? Great lager is a marvellous drink. You should try Three Hop, Caley's lager. :thumbsup:

On topic, I agree with Leginten. This faux masculinity of bigger/thicker glassware only impinges on the experience.

The Real Maroonblood

Extremely harsh on Caley and just not true.

Why are so many alcohol snobs so anti lager? Great lager is a marvellous drink. You should try Three Hop, Caley's lager. :thumbsup:

Lager :bitgay:

• 5 weeks later...

Archived