Lets all laugh at the Plastics

lost in space

lost in space

The green bigots are in town on Saturday - and I have vowed not to lose my cool at the antics of their soap-dodging fans. I always lose it when they start singing The Fields of Athenrie and especially The Soldiers Song.

Getting us angry is exactly what they want though - they want a reaction!

What we should do is laugh at them and\or sing back - "Lets all laugh at the bigots" or "Lets all laugh at the Plastics".

Or how about (to the tune of the Soldiers Song) -

"Plastics are they,

They like to think they're Irish,

They dont do work and have sad lives,

They drink all day and beat their wives.

Plastics are they....."

I'm not going for 2 reasons.

1) I was at 0-7 til the very end and I could do without experiencing that twice in a season.

2) It's a week before payday and I've just bought a flat, money is too tight.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

There's little wrong with Fields of Athenry. I'd be asking myself why that makes me totally lose it.

There's little wrong with Fields of Athenry. I'd be asking myself why that makes me totally lose it.

Is it a football related song ?

All roads lead to Gorgie

It would be nice to finish second ahead of sheep in the average crowd stakes this season at least. If we don't turn up for this one that might not happen. I think we will stay around the 12k mark in most games but these games push the average up a bit.

Say What Again

I'm not going to go.

I'm not even going to watch*.

Chelsea v Everton on BT for me :verysmug:

*unless I check the score and we're winning

come on, we know why they sing it.

Even if it's one of few non bigoted songs in their hymn book we know it's part of the greater issue....

It would be nice to finish second ahead of sheep in the average crowd stakes this season at least. If we don't turn up for this one that might not happen. I think we will stay around the 12k mark in most games but these games push the average up a bit.

A poor turn out for this one could be damaging if there is to be any delay exiting admin....Jackson already stressed this but you will get the usuals not turning up because its Celtic and we might get beat....theres a bigger picture.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

come on, we know why they sing it.

Even if it's one of few non bigoted songs in their hymn book we know it's part of the greater issue....

Some of them sing it because they're genuinely proud of Celtic's origins. Some of them sing it to wind us up. Anyone wound up by it though is as much a part of the problem as those doing the singing, imo.

William H. Bonney

oh no the bad celtic fans are singing their songs again. Who shall i complain to today. How about cheering on hearts instead of getting wound up over pish.

Will be going to the game, don't really care what they sing to be honest. I sit in section N and I can guarantee a few things -

- a celtic fan will pretend to have a gun and mimic shooting our support.

- several celtic fans will cross themselves as if this is some kind of insult to us.

- we won't have any ball boys/girls infront of the roseburn.

- the pie stall will get robbed.

- items will be thrown at out players taking a corner.

- fireworks will be let off.

- zero arrests for the celtic support.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Will be going to the game, don't really care what they sing to be honest. I sit in section N and I can guarantee a few things -

- several celtic fans will cross themselves as if this is some kind of insult to us.

Much greater issues than them singing completely inoffensive songs, imo.

:spoton:

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I've long since stopped getting worked up by their nonsense & I DO tend just to laugh at them. I also enjoy a shrug of the shoulders & a quizzical expression, as if to say "What on earth are yous going on about now?!"

Mind the time that guy came running along the concourse towards Section G, angrily brandishing a flag at us? He was met with bemusement as no one seemed to know what it was! (Found out on JKB that night it was the Vatican City flag. You can imagine my seethe.)

All roads lead to Gorgie

I just hope that those who are put off by what has happened in the past in this game make an extra effort to bring some mates/ family along to an another game then. The vocal support and numbers at the cup game were poor and the team seemed to drop in confidence as a result. We are adults and should stand up and be counted because as you say we need the cash to see us through.

One time a few Hearts fans should infiltrate in the Celtic end and video all what is going on and send it to authorities/ police and a non-OF newspaper.

If folk don't want to go to games, fine, but the excuses offered are pathetic. No money, working, ill or other commitment are good excuses. We might get beat is not a reason. And if you don't like their songs, don't watch the news. Pathetic stuff.

Guest C00l K1d

Imagine getting infuriated by their songs.

I cringe knowing the vast majority of them dont have a fecking clue what theyre on about but i dont get angry :laugh:

Malcolm Tucker

I'll still be going. Don't care what they sing, I'm pretty used to it by now. And I'm used to nothing getting done about it.

As much as these games aren't enjoyable for various reasons, I won't refuse to go to a match because of our opposition. I'm a Hearts fan, it's a home game. Not even a debate over going for me.

If folk don't want to go to games, fine, but the excuses offered are pathetic. No money, working, ill or other commitment are good excuses. We might get beat is not a reason. And if you don't like their songs, don't watch the news. Pathetic stuff.

You can guarantee none of them would be skint if it was a Cup Final. As for the songs, who really cares what they sing? They are not going to change so you can either ignore it or get mock offended by it. I choose the former.

Spot on mate...too many on here like that.

If Tynecastle is full and all Hearts fans are singing, anything the Celtic fans sing will be irrelevant.

They can sing what they want, tbh. They are what they are.

I'll be there to see us score in the first half hour to stop them breaking this shut-out-thingy-record they've got running. That'll put their gas on a peep, so it will.

We sing about what we know about,our beloved football team.Whereas,they shall be singing songs about a country most of them have never visited and the closest to Ireland they have been,was as children on a holiday to Butlins at Ayr.

Stuart McNeill

I'm gutted I can go. Not seen Hearts play since the semi final.

I struggle to hear what they sing in the Gorgie end so it really doesn't bother me and it never will.

Gregory House M.D.

Of all the songs they sing you choose to get offended by The National Anthems of Ireland? :unsure:

Personally, I find "Boys of the Old Brigade", "Roll of Honour", "P-I-R-A" and "Graffiti on the Wall" far more distasteful. Then you have your cringefests such as "Fields of Athenry", "Soldiers Song", "Viva La Quinta Brigada" among others.

Franco Fascione

oh no the bad celtic fans are singing their songs again. Who shall i complain to today. How about cheering on hearts instead of getting wound up over pish.

Good idea. I'd like to add that some Hearts fans should refrain from singing about Fenians. Rise above it. Just because the big bad boy done it doesn't mean the likes of us should do too.

Rudolf's Mate

They win, lose or draw is doesn't make one bit of difference to how their fans behave.

As has been mentioned, I don't understand what they're singing anyway! It's the abuse, missile throwing and attempting to attack kids which gets me.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Never said I was offended or even bothered about what they sing but for some to almost dismiss The Fields of Athenry as part of their song sheet "because they are probably proud of their Irishness" to a man...... is cringeworthy.

Aye that's right, they are having a wee cuddly 5 minutes away from bigotry and puting it all aside to celebrate their roots. Feck me.

Maybe the JKB CSC are coming out in sympathy?

Think, sorry I know that they are scum have done since one of them tried to pinch my scarf wen i was 6 years old walking down gorgie road to game (was quickly rounded on by fellow jambos and gave it back)

Dont take too much notice of what they are singing bcos i cant make half it out it just sounds some slurred pish!

Like that zombie thing they do, cant understand what it says but its irritating.

And although they dont do it as much, the 'just cant get enough' is also nippy.

Wouldnt stop me going to see us play them or anyone else!

I'm scratching my head over the Fields of Athenry getting under the skin. Yes, it's tied to Irish nationalism, but only of the most bland sort.

The wretched behavior in the stands is one thing, as is the lack of accountability for poorly behaved Celtic fans, but if folks would quit getting wound up over singing, they probably wouldn't do it as much...

If I were going, I'd be trying to write a song about how the club refuses to pay its workers a living wage. Hard to make into a catchy song, tho...

I'm going to stick a couple of quid on 'Hello Hello' getting sung by the 4th minute.

Not if celtic are 1 up after 3 minutes again.

William H. Bonney

I'm scratching my head over the Fields of Athenry getting under the skin. Yes, it's tied to Irish nationalism, but only of the most bland sort.

The wretched behavior in the stands is one thing, as is the lack of accountability for poorly behaved Celtic fans, but if folks would quit getting wound up over singing, they probably wouldn't do it as much...

If I were going, I'd be trying to write a song about how the club refuses to pay its workers a living wage. Hard to make into a catchy song, tho...

Unfortunately the best some of our support will come up with will be hello hello.

Any idea what Saturday's lottery numbers are?

I'll more than likely be there, I'm at the stage where the end of the season can't come quick enough tbh so I'm not overly fussed about who we're playing as long as we don't get embarrassed again.

Why not just make our celtic friends feel welcome at our ground. Go dressed as popes, make flags with the popes face. Chant "we love the pope" (as in "we are the mods"). Im sure all that would make for a familly friendly atmosphere. O... And some inflatable crosses would do the trick.

Unfortunately the best some of our support will come up with will be hello hello.

True, and that's embarrassing enough...

1 flaw in your statement.

The word "sit"

No-one sits in section N. :thumbsup:

1 flaw in your statement.

The word "sit"

No-one sits in section N. :thumbsup:

:lol: very good point, will be standing at the steps as always.

If we score against celtic I will end up on my arse tho :lol:

If they are all that proud of Ireland why don'y they just go there. Why torture themselves by staying in a country that will never be independant, never be a republic, always have the monarch as it's head of state and proudly flies the union flag.

Crazy really.

Archived