Sherlock

Gigolo-Aunt

Yeah I got that but it just wasn't for me. Spend the episode setting up an interesting antagonist who in the end is beaten by being flat out murdered in cold blood. Whilst Magnusson was undoubtedly arrogant we are shown that his personal safety is something he considers (security at his offices, bodyguard presence) so it didn't add up for me that he would throw that all away to meet up with two people who are out to get him.

It's more a personal taste thing at this point though. The show seems to be moving away from relying on Sherlock's genius to solve interesting mysteries towards being more of a character drama so if that works for you then all power to you.

I think sherlock's genius was still used to solve the mystery; it's just that the only solution was to murder the guy, but it needed to be done in a specific order. He would still be powerful enough to evade conventional justice so Sherlock kills him (it's not as if it was an off the cuff murder) - the more interesting thing is whether he did it to protect his friend and his new bride or the millions of other people at danger from this man. That's why i'd say it's more involving drama in the mystery. If it was just a case of solving a mystery each week it'd get very tiresome - in the same way breaking bad would've gotten tiresome if it was just jesse and mr white getting involved in schemes and heists each week.

And he dispensed of the guards as he's arrogant. Once he's got someone by the short and curlies he owns them. To have guards there would've shown weakness. It also would've meant he couldnt have shoved the mind palace stuff in holmes' face as presumably he has stuff on the guards - so why would they work for him if it's shown he has nothing concrete?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you'll need to talk me through that as the first episode was watched by 9.2 million, with 3.5 million watching on catch up (which is a record btw). It dropped to JUST 8.84 million for the second episode. Given that it wasnt the most anticipated and discussed british tv return of the last two years, as was episode 1, i'd say that's a fair return. Havent been able to turn up figures for last night i'm afraid. Do you have a link?

It doesnt say it all however. 96% of people watched the second, and given the phenomenal interest in the opener i'd say that was a pretty decent return. Seems very odd to focus on the 4% who watched the first episode live but didnt watch the second live. You dont care for it, but to extrapolate that out to the wider public is not borne out by the facts i'm afraid.

edit. It dropped by 70, 000 viewers on sunday night to JUST 8.77million. Meaning a drop of less than 1%. You're talking nonsense.

http://www.theguardi...-dancing-on-ice

a tad knickers twisted over a tv prog. i'm not alone in thinking its not as good as it was, others on the thread agree.

a tad knickers twisted over a tv prog. i'm not alone in thinking its not as good as it was, others on the thread agree.

You don't care for it, i already acknowledged it. You're welcome to that. But you've clearly made stuff up and then reached conclusions that are nonsense. If all you can offer in reply is that i've gone OTT when all i did was type "sherlock viewing figures" in to google, it's just an example of how out your depth you are.

jamboinglasgow

You don't care for it, i already acknowledged it. You're welcome to that. But you've clearly made stuff up and then reached conclusions that are nonsense. If all you can offer in reply is that i've gone OTT when all i did was type "sherlock viewing figures" in to google, it's just an example of how out your depth you are.

Its the reaction that happens to a continually good tv series as it goes on, especially with it not being on tv for 2 years, they expect too much so when it does not meet that they write it off completely. Yes they have gone for more character development this season with some of the mystery side being sidelined but I thought it handled it well and thought it was a great series. And some great characters last night, Magnusson was fantastic for the horrible bully, Mary could have been over the top but I thought they handled her back story well.

Its the reaction that happens to a continually good tv series as it goes on, especially with it not being on tv for 2 years, they expect too much so when it does not meet that they write it off completely. Yes they have gone for more character development this season with some of the mystery side being sidelined but I thought it handled it well and thought it was a great series. And some great characters last night, Magnusson was fantastic for the horrible bully, Mary could have been over the top but I thought they handled her back story well.

last night's actually makes the second more palatable. viewed as a trio they sync together very well. You're right about expectations and people writing something off (a concept the Sherlock writers do very well to defuse with comedy in the beardy pathologist guy) but its a different thing to simply make up facts and present them as evidence for an opinion. And then get defensive about the right to hold an opinion when that wasn't challenged.

people are allowed to be as stupid as the want.

I P Knightley

Given that the first episode was always going to be huge, i think to say that viewing figures have gone down doesnt say much. How much did the figures go down by? And if people didnt watch last night's episode, more full them.

Anyway, realistic audience figures include catch up figures which allow a week. But congrats on being contrary.

Last night was a school night so Casa Knightley wasn't in the viewing figures. I'd imagine similarly for others. More full us????

All caught up now, though.

I can see people's point regarding frustration that he's not solving complex crimes but I've really enjoyed the stories and script from the last two episodes - nothing at all to put me off getting ready for the next series.

More full us????

Depends what you had for dinner....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha. Actually, i wasnt blown away by last night, other posters, in attempt to discredit my point by attacking me, made out as though i would defend the show at all costs, but like i said earlier i thought it was too emotional at times. I enjoy the relationship building but it got a little bit buddy movie at points. Still better than 99.9% of anything else though

The viewing figures, not that they actually require explaining, will be skewed as the first episode was, as well as being highly anticipated, firmly in the holiday season so not affected as much by school nights and what not - a ten o'clock finish is too much for any family with kids and even at an hour and half is a bit much for lots of people when catch up so accessible, which is borne out by over a third watching on catch up. So an accurate picture needs the iplayer crowd. In a completely legal endeavour i also noted that last night's episode was in pirate bay's top 10 within an hour or two of it finishing last night, but criminals don't count.

I was blown away last night.

I thought it was bloody awesome.

It is a bit irking that Sherlock seems to get outwitted by almost everyone this series though, but he isn't supposed to be a superhuman. This isn't Xmen.

Selkirk_Jambo

I was blown away last night.

I thought it was bloody awesome.

It is a bit irking that Sherlock seems to get outwitted by almost everyone this series though, but he isn't supposed to be a superhuman. This isn't Xmen.

Did he get outwitted last night though? I have a suspicion that Sherlock figured out the situation after examining the glasses, the rest was just set up to get him close to the baddie. Perhaps the Moriarty thing was a Sherlock ruse as well, they would never let him disappear with mental Jim around.

Hope not though. Moriarty back.next season would be :pleasing:

Did he get outwitted last night though? I have a suspicion that Sherlock figured out the situation after examining the glasses, the rest was just set up to get him close to the baddie. Perhaps the Moriarty thing was a Sherlock ruse as well, they would never let him disappear with mental Jim around.

Hope not though. Moriarty back.next season would be :pleasing:

The main time he got outwitted was when he got shot in the chest and almost died!

It also showed that John's gf/wife had been taking the piss out of him the last two episodes also.

Yeah I got that but it just wasn't for me. Spend the episode setting up an interesting antagonist who in the end is beaten by being flat out murdered in cold blood. Whilst Magnusson was undoubtedly arrogant we are shown that his personal safety is something he considers (security at his offices, bodyguard presence) so it didn't add up for me that he would throw that all away to meet up with two people who are out to get him.

It's more a personal taste thing at this point though. The show seems to be moving away from relying on Sherlock's genius to solve interesting mysteries towards being more of a character drama so if that works for you then all power to you.

Here's gatiss and moffatt on it

Moffat: [i wrote a scene where] Sherlock and John go to him, and Magnussen?s decided to go for a swim so he just takes his clothes off. He gets into his Speedos. So he?s so bored of them, so uninterested, so unaware that they?re there, that he just behaves like that.

Gatiss: It would be like a Roman emperor, where they just didn?t even acknowledge that the servants were there. They just put their hand out for something.

Moffat: That sense of entitlement... It?s what brings him down of course, that it doesn?t occur to him that Sherlock Holmes might just shoot him. He hasn?t factored that in. He doesn?t think people can do that.

jamboinglasgow

Fascinating documentry on BBC 4 charting the many portrayals of sherlock holmes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03pzsd9/Timeshift_Series_13_How_to_be_Sherlock_Holmes_The_Many_Faces_of_a_Master_Detective/

Weird to think the is 3 versions of Holmes at the moment, Bendict Cumberbatch's, Johnny Lee Miller's and Robert Downey Jrs, all play it differently and all enjoyable to watch.

The best thing about Sherlock ( wife watches it ) is Watson's clothes. Very understated but smart. That big Belstaff overcoat Holmes wears is a shocker, but works well as a modern take on the traditional Holmes cape. Whoever is in charge of the wardrobe on the show has done a good job.

The best thing about Sherlock ( wife watches it ) is Watson's clothes. Very understated but smart. That big Belstaff overcoat Holmes wears is a shocker, but works well as a modern take on the traditional Holmes cape. Whoever is in charge of the wardrobe on the show has done a good job.

Probably because Martin Freeman is Modtacular!

BoJack Horseman

Spot on. Constantly admiring that man's wardrobe. Feck knows where he gets the cash for it all though, as it's all designer gear.

Spot on. Constantly admiring that man's wardrobe. Feck knows where he gets the cash for it all though, as it's all designer gear.

He's a doctor with an army pension, boy'll be badword minted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

A fantastic episode. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Loved the bit in the "psychiatrists" house when Sherlock pre-emptied the arrival of Molly.

Watt-Zeefuik

We watched the first episode of season 4 a few nights ago.  Supremely disappointed to the point that I've considered not bothering with the rest. 

You're saying I should push on?

rudi must stay

We watched the first episode of season 4 a few nights ago. Supremely disappointed to the point that I've considered not bothering with the rest.

You're saying I should push on?

2nd episode was more like the Sherlock of the first 2 series'

2nd episode was more like the Sherlock of the first 2 series'

Cheers, we'll probably watch it in the next few nights.  I loved the first two seasons.

Meh. That season was crap, hope that's the last one as it's totally lost it's way. Used to be slightly implausible but now it's just downright daft. Trying to be too clever.

rudi must stay

Meh. That season was crap, hope that's the last one as it's totally lost it's way. Used to be slightly implausible but now it's just downright daft. Trying to be too clever.

Much better season than the last one. But I do agree I think it has ran it's race as a show

The best bit of this last episode was the final five minutes. I might go back and watch that again.

Malinga the Swinga

Quite enjoyed last episode. Not every show needs to be full of brain dead action and while everything was completely resolved, still left scope for future episodes, after a break of a year or so. Was good to see Mycroft and Sherlock showing frailties and being found to be more human than they would both normally like to show.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll stick to Elementary from now on. Sherlock has disappeared up its own arse. Pity :( Did love it .

The Real Maroonblood

I'll stick to Elementary from now on. Sherlock has disappeared up its own arse. Pity :( Did love it .

Agree with this.

Archived