Sherlock

Gigolo-Aunt

Just a heads up if you forgot it was on. Looking forward to it as its been a very enjoyable series.

BBC1 - 9pm

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angry Haggis

Just a heads up if you forgot it was on. Looking forward to it as its been a very enjoyable series.

BBC1 - 9pm

Cheers Gig, all over that.

The Real Maroonblood

Steven. Spielberg who knows a thing about actors said that Benedict Cumbrebatch is the best Sherlock Holmes he has seen on screen.

I also liked Jeremy Brett in that role.

Carl Fredrickson

It has been a long 2 years waiting on this. Hopefully it will not disappoint.

Going to pour a wee whisky in anticipation.

Angry Haggis

Hold me Benedict - make things all better

:sob:

You look a decent British bloke, I'll park the old booties on you, if that's alright?

You look a decent British bloke, I'll park the old booties on you, if that's alright?

Damn straight

Carl Fredrickson

Has anyone got a link for the 7 minute prequel clip which was released by the BBC?

It was on I-player but I cant see it on it now :uhoh2:

It is on Youtube:

:afro:

Steven. Spielberg who knows a thing about actors said that Benedict Cumbrebatch is the best Sherlock Holmes he has seen on screen.

I also liked Jeremy Brett in that role.

Jeremy Brett was an excellent Holmes, as was Peter Cushing (whose Hound of the Baskevilles is one of the best versions)

siegementality

Sherlock is the best TV to be produced in Britain. Great series. As for the best Holmes, that title can only ever go to Basil Rathbone imo, although Benedict Cumberbatch makes for an excellent 'modern' version of Holmes.

Angry Haggis

Can I watch this without having watched the other series?

Always fancied it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would imagine you could but i believe the story line continues on from previous series.

Always fancied it.

Get the other episodes watched, there are only 6. It's brilliant.

Got the last one still on the digi recorder so going to watch that first to get back into it so I'll be avoiding this thread until then

Fantastic programme as has been said it's been a long time coming

Chad Sexington

Love this show. Cant wait to see it.

My man crush for Benedict Cumberbatch is of Paulo Sergio proportions. :wub:

The Real Maroonblood

Always fancied it.

If you have the Alibi channel the first 2 episodes of series 1 is on next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Excellent stuff.

Mark Gatiss really is superb in it as well. Great writer - a GA National Treasure. You can take that to the bank.

great tease at the start. decent episode otherwise. don't trust John's fiance.

Yes, I think there is something to come with her.

Yes, I think there is something to come with her.

played by Freeman's real life wife. not that its pertinent. but they wouldn't waste a semi famous actress on - what in the books - is a nothing character. its like when you see someone famous in murder she wrote.

I also enjoyed the eventual reveal of his death. the reality was always going to be a let down so to have the pathologist turn into a saddo who says 'I would've done it different. bit disappointed' kept it playful and poked fun at internet conspiracies, whilst still using enough clues and trickery (I spotted the squash ball in the hospital but was too distracted by the Steve McQueen great escape reference to consider using it as a means of faking death. that's a great bit of misdirection - show a clue but instantly layer it with something interesting but ultilmately utterly useless)

Jambof3tornado

played by Freeman's real life wife. not that its pertinent. but they wouldn't waste a semi famous actress on - what in the books - is a nothing character. its like when you see someone famous in murder she wrote.

I also enjoyed the eventual reveal of his death. the reality was always going to be a let down so to have the pathologist turn into a saddle who says 'I would've done it different. bit disappointed' kept it playful, whilst still using enough clues and trickery (I spotted the squash ball in the hospital but was too distracted by the Steve McQueen great escape reference to consider using it as a means of faking death. that's a great bit of misdirection - show a clue but instantly layer it with something interesting but ultilmately utterly useless)

Didnt realise that was his real wife. Also stars in case histories.

Didnt realise that was his real wife. Also stars in case histories.

aye, she's in millions. was in dream team back in the day...

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was all very meta at the beginning with the 'Derren Brown' scene. Not sure if the diehard fan-bois will be flattered by their inclusion or incensed. :laugh:

Excellent stuff.

Mark Gatiss really is superb in it as well. Great writer - a GA National Treasure. You can take that to the bank.

He was fantastic as part of The League of Gentlemen and Sherlock Holmes is brilliant but the stuff he has written for Dr. Who is shite.

Jambof3tornado

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Was all very meta at the beginning with the 'Derren Brown' scene. Not sure if the diehard fan-bois will be flattered by their inclusion or incensed. :laugh:

I was thinking, what a load of garbage, very clever writing indeed. Best show on the telly.

Holmes parents were played by Cumberbatch's parents.

Now there's a nice wee bit of trivia for you.

Just finished watching it on iPlayer.

Christ I need to go back to work, I've become nocturnal.

Not showing in Oz till some time in January. :glare:

I feel your pain. it didn't show in Britain till some time in January too.

Chad Sexington

I feel your pain. it didn't show in Britain till some time in January too.

:lol:

I obviously meant later in January...smartarse :glare:

Found a great link to watch it later tonight though. :)

:lol:

I obviously meant later in January...smartarse :glare:

Found a great link to watch it later tonight though. :)

Then everyone's happy. :)

Viewing figures for Sherlocks return around 9.2mil - http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-25574277

Love this show, watched series 1 again after last nights episode, only have to wait till Sunday for the next one, which is nice :2thumbsup:

"However the Daily Mail's Christopher Stevens called it a "cop-out", saying Holmes's complex explanation for his survival was "barely more convincing" than the red herring versions."

The boy from the mail doesnt get the fact that magic isnt real and that the whole episode played around with the fact that reality is always more dull than imagination. In fact, if one were so inclined, one might say the whole show and characters of john and sherlock pivot on this concept. There's even a good quote from the jeremy brett sherlock which would do to help the mail's tv critic understand this very simply idea

Sherlock Holmes: Now I begin to think my reputation, such as it is, will suffer shipwreck if I am so candid. 'Omne ignotum pro magnifico.'

Dr. John Watson: [to Mr. Wilson] Everything becomes commonplace by explanation.

Sherlock Holmes: Watson, that is a very loose translation!

(it really means 'that which is unknown is ascribed magnificence')

I thought this episode was OK...I suppose it's hard to introduce new characters while tying up loose ends from the last series and trying to stop a bomb from detonating in a subway station.

We didn't see Sherlock really "work out" anything, but Watson's story and how he ended up underneath the bonfire is intrigueing.

Jamboman1512

I thought this episode was OK...I suppose it's hard to introduce new characters while tying up loose ends from the last series and trying to stop a bomb from detonating in a subway station.

We didn't see Sherlock really "work out" anything, but Watson's story and how he ended up underneath the bonfire is intrigueing.

"There's an off switch, there's always an off switch, terrorists can get into all sorts of problems unless there's an off switch" :lol: loved it.

Should check out the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes. Absolutely wonderful series. The greatest Sherlock Holmes ever. They are all on Youtube :smile:

First time watcher of this series and it was a waste of time as far as I was concerned.

How can new watchers be encouraged to start watching a series like this when the main part of the programme is devoted to something that happened in a previous series.

First time watcher of this series and it was a waste of time as far as I was concerned.

How can new watchers be encouraged to start watching a series like this when the main part of the programme is devoted to something that happened in a previous series.

a lot of series have cliffhangers at the end of series. It is a valid way to keep the audience interested in shows.

I don't think I have ever jumped in to a series without watching what happened before it. Its been an extremely popular BBC program and one that had a huge storyline at the end of the first series that was always going to dominate the opening episode.

I don't think when they were writing the episode that they would have thought of folk who has not watched it before :laugh:

Archived