Putin - Britain is a small island no one pays attention to

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In matters of culture, ie. soft power, he's completely wrong.

In matters of geopolitics, ie. hard power, he's entirely correct.

This from the man who needs to ride horses topless through the woods to get attention?

Come back when you're getting involved in illegal wars with minimal recrimination Putin :smuggy:

This from the man who needs to ride horses topless through the woods to get attention?

I'd say he's got plenty of attention right now. Plenty of attention. The world's attention is focused upon him. In fact, in many ways, he's arguably the most important man on the planet right now.

A remark made by Putins spokesman. Sorry, but Russia's contribution to liberal democracy is what? Unimportant country for ever. If it wasn't for their military, they would be a non-entity.

I P Knightley

...yet won't tolerate homosexuals.

A mate of mine suggested that when Putin is being translated on a news broadcast, they should get Julian Clary to do the voice. That would be wonderful!

Disagree, bring the Romanovs back. When Russia used to elegant.

Give them the Windsors instead

I'd say he's got plenty of attention right now. Plenty of attention. The world's attention is focused upon him. In fact, in many ways, he's arguably the most important man on the planet right now.

Obama will launch a missile strike near his border. He can't do a thing about it. Most important person? Nah. Could Putin launch a similar action in South America? Those are the facts.

Chaka Demus & pliers

Not quite no-one

?Britain is a small island - nobody pays any attention to them apart from Russian oligarchs who have bought up Chelsea,? said a spokesman for the Russian President Vladimir Putin, Syria?s closest ally

:lol:

queensferryjambo

Putin gives it the big chat but in actual fact it is all sabre rattling to save face. Russia has went from the 2nd most powerful nation on earth to a toothless irrelevant insular nothing. The USA, France, Germany and the UK obviously keep up the diplomacy with them but I can't remember the last time anything coming from Russia swayed any of the big nations decision making.

Britain is a small island nation with the 7th biggest economy on Earth - Russia is a massive nation with some of the biggest natural resources on Earth with the 10th biggest economy. How do you like them apples Putin.

North Berwick Jambo

Funny thing is that for a small country we actually have enough nukes to take out the whole of Russia ;)

Putin gives it the big chat but in actual fact it is all sabre rattling to save face. Russia has went from the 2nd most powerful nation on earth to a toothless irrelevant insular nothing. The USA, France, Germany and the UK obviously keep up the diplomacy with them but I can't remember the last time anything coming from Russia swayed any of the big nations decision making.

Britain is a small island nation with the 7th biggest economy on Earth - Russia is a massive nation with some of the biggest natural resources on Earth with the 10th biggest economy. How do you like them apples Putin.

Completely disagree with everything you've written about Russia, i'm afraid.

North Berwick Jambo

We still have enough nukes to turn all Russias major cities into deserts.

Ha ha beat me to it!

Not toothless, but agree with the rest,

North Berwick Jambo

Russia's only significant contribution to the world in the last 30 years has been Krokodil

And Tetris!

Come back when you're getting involved in illegal wars with minimal recrimination Putin :smuggy:

:lol:

Leaving aside the high comedy on this thread for a moment, Russia is in fact still the third most important power in the world. Its natural gas supplies give it massive, enormous leverage over the rest of Europe: to the point whereby I strongly believe it was a significant factor in how MPs voted last week. It is certainly swaying how other big nations are viewing this whole thing now - whereas the last time something Britain did in international affairs swayed key decisions of others was, for wholly negative reasons, 1956 (when we thought we could recreate Empire: the US had other ideas, and ourselves and France were humiliated); and for positive reasons, before 1945.

We have this awful habit of thinking that the "international community" equals the US and UK. It doesn't. Between them, Russia and China play host to almost 1.5 billion people; and their growing geopolitical axis will require to be heeded by everyone else. Britain, meanwhile, is no longer either a great power (the US and China); or a second tier power (Russia, Germany, Japan, India) either. Like France, it's a third tier one, which will fall below Brazil and others in import before much longer.

Leaving aside the high comedy on this thread for a moment, Russia is in fact still the third most important power in the world. Its natural gas supplies give it massive, enormous leverage over the rest of Europe: to the point whereby I strongly believe it was a significant factor in how MPs voted last week.

Irony?

Irony?

In this world of ours, resources and energy talk. You might even say, they swear.

I support Putin on his Foreign Affairs, but everything else that I've heard/read, I strongly oppose.

Ditto.

...yet won't tolerate homosexuals.

A mate of mine suggested that when Putin is being translated on a news broadcast, they should get Julian Clary to do the voice. That would be wonderful!

Great idea! He is the most obvious closeted homo around, projecting his self-loathing onto Russian gays. That KGB training means he's good at keeping secrets....

The Mighty Thor

Putin is bang on the cash. There's still a prevailing empirical attitude in Britain (England) when the reality is these islands are potless, morally bereft and on the verge of internal division.

Aye we're a superpower right enough

Putin gives it the big chat but in actual fact it is all sabre rattling to save face. Russia has went from the 2nd most powerful nation on earth to a toothless irrelevant insular nothing. The USA, France, Germany and the UK obviously keep up the diplomacy with them but I can't remember the last time anything coming from Russia swayed any of the big nations decision maki

Slightly true. But the Russian invasion of Georgia in 2010(?) put paid to any idea of us offering Georgia NATO membership. Then again that'd be like the USA putting missile shields in Poland or missile silos from the USSR in Cuba so you can see why that doozy tweeked the Tigers tail.

Putin is bang on the cash. There's still a prevailing empirical attitude in Britain (England) when the reality is these islands are potless, morally bereft and on the verge of internal division.

Aye we're a superpower right enough

That has sharply changed after the Syria vote. I reckon it to be as big a turning point as Suez on less involvement and overrides recent post-Falklands chest thumping. Reckon officially we will focus less on military interventions and more on economic and soft diplomatic power. Like humanitarian aid. All this pro-bombing stuff from Cameron is an attempt to save face with Washington.

Kalamazoo Jambo

If it wasn't for their military, they would be a non-entity.

I'd say that Russia's permanent membership of the UN Security Council and a wealth of natural resources mean that you're incorrect.

Leaving aside the high comedy on this thread for a moment, Russia is in fact still the third most important power in the world. Its natural gas supplies give it massive, enormous leverage over the rest of Europe: to the point whereby I strongly believe it was a significant factor in how MPs voted last week. It is certainly swaying how other big nations are viewing this whole thing now - whereas the last time something Britain did in international affairs swayed key decisions of others was, for wholly negative reasons, 1956 (when we thought we could recreate Empire: the US had other ideas, and ourselves and France were humiliated); and for positive reasons, before 1945.

We have this awful habit of thinking that the "international community" equals the US and UK. It doesn't. Between them, Russia and China play host to almost 1.5 billion people; and their growing geopolitical axis will require to be heeded by everyone else. Britain, meanwhile, is no longer either a great power (the US and China); or a second tier power (Russia, Germany, Japan, India) either. Like France, it's a third tier one, which will fall below Brazil and others in import before much longer.

Third tier? :lol::lol:

Maybe you should stay where you are with an attitude like that?

Britain will still be punching well above our weight, don't you worry about that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Third tier? :lol: :lol:

Maybe you should stay where you are with an attitude like that?

Britain will still be punching well above our weight, don't you worry about that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Britain was already a third rate power 16 years ago:

http://www.rediff.co...oct/13queen.htm

Lord Curzon would agree as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6267387.stm

dobmisterdobster
We still have enough nukes to turn all Russias major cities into deserts.

Do you know how many nukes it would take to render this tiny island uninhabitable?

Not many. You keep that in mind.

dobmisterdobster

Britain is like the scrawny special needs kid who hung around with the bully (USA) for self esteem.

Now some people on here think we can defeat the other bully (Russia).

That's some Hibs level delusion right there.

kingantti1874

Wait till we all start fracking :)

Very ungrateful man. If it wasn't for Britains efforts in merchant supply the Ruskies would have got skelped off the Germans in WW2.

I was over in Russia recently and they are doing a fine job killing themselves! The average Russian smokes over 2700 cigarettes a year :lol:

The relatively few young Russians will in a few years time be too busy to annex countries and pontificate on world affairs any more as they will all be busy wiping the bottoms of their elderly and ageing population. Russia's demographics will be very hard to bear - in particular because outside of some Kim Philby types who will emigrate to there?

Folk thinking Britain isn't a third teir power. We're barely the third most influential country in Europe. Germany and france frequently pisstake us when it comes to europe.

Archived