World Cup 2014 - Qualified teams

Rick James

With the finals now less than a year away, we will soon be able to start looking at who's going to Rio for next years tournament. Only Brazil and Japan are confirmed to be there just now, but other team will be joining them very soon with some interesting reading as ever.

In Asia, Japan have already ran away with their group. Eyes are on Uzbekistan though, who have a good chance of making it to their first ever World Cup. The final games take place next Tuesday with the current 2nd team Iran having to travel to South Korea who despite topping the group need a win as much as the other 2. Iran already beat South Korea in Tehran in November. Uzbekistan host future World Cup hosts Qatar they have already beaten 1-0 away in the previous match.

In Group B, Japan have ran away with the group but the pressure is on Australia who need a win at home to Iraq to guarentee automatic qualification. Jordan and Oman are in contention for a playoff place with the latter being the side capable of upsetting Australia. If Oman were to qualify, that would also be historic yet more unlikely than in the other group

Franklin Delano Bluth

Hopefully for the McGowan's (especially Ryan as he's likely to play), Australia can qualify. I'd fancy their chances against Iraq, no?

Footballfirst

I hope that the Aussies make it. At least it would give us Jambos someone to support, assuming that Gowser remains part of their squad.

Still a bit to go in Africa to decide who will be going to Brazil, and unfortunately, still to early to see if any smaller nations will provide an upset. The 'big boys' (Nigeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast etc.) all still have major chances of qualifying.

The top sides from each group (10 groups in total) qualify for the final playoffs with the winners of playoff ties over 2 legs taking a berth in the main tournament. As things stand Libya and Ethiopia are 2 of those sides who could make it to the playoffs however no side at all has booked a place yet.

Hopefully for the McGowan's (especially Ryan as he's likely to play), Australia can qualify. I'd fancy their chances against Iraq, no?

I'd imagine so, that's why I reckon the possibility of Oman qualifying via the groups is a lot less likely than Uzbekistan doing so from the other group.

shaun.lawson

The Sheilaroos somehow failing to qualify from the complete joke that is the Asian section would've been extremely :pleasing: But it's not going to happen now. :10800:

In the end, whoever finishes 5th overall will lose the play-off to the 5th placed team from CONMEBOL (probably Uruguay - again) for sure. And Asia will not produce a semi-finalist next year; nor, in all probability, a quarter-finalist either. Japan are making real strides forward, Korea have potential, but the rest? Pish. :down:

CONCACAF qualifiers are hardly throwing any surprises at us either. They are halfway through the final stage of qualifying which consists of 6 teams, with the top 3 going through and 4th place facing New Zealand in a playoff.

USA and Mexico are going strong for yet another finals appearance with Costa Rica looking to return also. Honduras sit in the playoff place currently with Panama and Jamaica sitting in the elimination spots, with the latter needing a major turnaround to stand a chance of qualification.

For those who like an upset though, Panama have never qualified for the World Cup and have an outside chance of automatic qualification plus being right in the mix for the playoff spot. Jamaica at home should give them an extra 3 points but they still face trips to 2nd placed Costa Rica and Mexico before hosting group leaders USA in the final game.

shaun.lawson

CONCACAF qualifiers are hardly throwing any surprises at us either. They are halfway through the final stage of qualifying which consists of 6 teams, with the top 3 going through and 4th place facing New Zealand in a playoff.

USA and Mexico are going strong for yet another finals appearance with Costa Rica looking to return also. Honduras sit in the playoff place currently with Panama and Jamaica sitting in the elimination spots, with the latter needing a major turnaround to stand a chance of qualification.

For those who like an upset though, Panama have never qualified for the World Cup and have an outside chance of automatic qualification plus being right in the mix for the playoff spot. Jamaica at home should give them an extra 3 points but they still face trips to 2nd placed Costa Rica and Mexico before hosting group leaders USA in the final game.

No they're not. The side whose fans have the best chant in world football - to the tune of the Butterkist advert, Mexico, Mexico, ra ra ra - are wobbling.

Harry Palmer

Slightly off topic...

Did anyone see the red card for Mascherano in the 1-1 draw with Ecuador?

After reading that it was because he'd kicked the driver of the medical buggy thing, was a bit disappointed when I saw the video. Was expecting it to be a proper boot to the baws or something similar.

Anyway, here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7jSOfsoqpk

shaun.lawson

Slightly off topic...

After reading that it was because he'd kicked the driver of the medical buggy thing, was a bit disappointed when I saw the video. Was expecting it to be a proper boot to the baws or something similar.

I saw it live, thought it was hilarious, and that the ref got it spot on. Argentina will never learn.

CONMEBOL is the group for the purist. There's hardly a chance of an upset with Venezuela being the only team to never have qualified for the finals despite making major improvements lately. It is the group though where some of the worlds heavyweights strut their stuff therefore showing us which Latin team we will be falling in love with this time round.

Argentina have guarenteed at least a playoff spot but that's not much of a success for their standards. The top 4 go straight into the competition and with Argentina comfortably leading the way, Ecuador, Colombia and Chile are looking good to join them. Uruguay would need a bit of a revival to secure automatic qualification currently sitting 5 points behind Chile. There is no doubt a bit of pressure on Uruguay also with Peru and the before mentioned Venezuela breathing down their necks.

No they're not. The side whose fans have the best chant in world football - to the tune of the Butterkist advert, Mexico, Mexico, ra ra ra - are wobbling.

Agreed that the results have made them look lacklustre but I fully expect them to do enough in the end.

Oceania are the only continent who aren't granted automatic qualification for the World Cup and even then, there is still only 1 team that gets an opportunity to qualify by playoffs. That team as ever is New Zealand after topping the final group stage by 6 points, winning all their games in the bargain conceding just twice in their 6 games.

Oceania are the only continent who aren't granted automatic qualification for the World Cup and even then, there is still only 1 team that gets an opportunity to qualify by playoffs. That team as ever is New Zealand after topping the final group stage by 6 points, winning all their games in the bargain conceding just twice in their 6 games.

Is it true they have a knockout stage that is basically pointless and redundant :vrface: ?

Would be amazing to see a team like samoa or fiji creep into a world cup if new zealand have a couple of bad years at some point over the next 50

Finally, UEFA is probably the section that most of us on here will be following more keen than the rest, for fairly obvious reasons also.

Again, nothing is set in stone but you could certainly guarantee some of the sides that will be there next year.

Group A (say no more about Scotland) is seeing Croatia and Belgium run away with it. But, after Friday's results, the automatic spot is now Belgium's to lose. As I'm sure we all know, Scotland are the only side in the group that can't qualify whatsoever despite not being the bottom side. Macedonia who are the bottom side can still take a playoff place along with Wales and Serbia, although it would take a miracle to see one of those sides finishing 2nd.

Group B is seeing Italy going well as we all expected. Bulgaria and Czech Republic are the 2 most realistic bets for 2nd place but with Armenia's historic thrashing of Denmark last night, even they are now in the mix for a late playoff push. Denmark themselves are just as capable in terms of points. Even Malta can still mathematically qualify. It's definitely been one of their better campaigns with 3 points on the board.

You'd be daft to say Germany won't top Group C with a 5 point lead over Sweden, Austria and Ireland. Despite 1st being effectively out the picture, the race for 2nd is hotting up with the 3 teams mentioned all being locked on 11 points.

Netherlands look an even safer bet being 7 points clear of nearest threats Hungary in Group D. And, with just 4 games left, there's a chance they could secure qualification in their next match. Hungary are surprising some by sitting in 2nd with Romania just a point behind. Turkey need to get points on the board fast to get back in the race.

Group E was interesting from the start as it certainly didn't contain any dead certs for qualification. Switzerland lead the way comfortably though with a 4 point lead over surprise package Albania. An improving Iceland side are only a point off the playoffs also meaning Norway are currently in 4th. Slovenia and Cyprus also have outside chances but need a win or 2 very soon.

Group F is getting exciting also as they come down to the last few matches. Just 3 points separate Portugal, Russia and Israel. Israel have it all to do though if they're to reach their first tournament since 1970 with trips to Portugal and Russia still to come.

Group G is looking like it could finally be where Bosnia's luck changes. They narrowly missed out in the playoffs for South Africa 2010 to Portugal. They also missed out on Euro 2012 via the playoffs too, again losing to Portugal. This time though they lead 3 points of Greece with Liechtenstein and Lithuania still to play. Greece themselves have a 4 point lead in the playoff place.

As sad as it is, Scotland fans hopes yet again rely on how quickly England are eliminated from the World Cup. However, this year they still might not even make it to Rio. England sit in 2nd in Group H currently 2 points behind Montenegro and just 1 ahead of Ukraine. However, out of their final 4 games, England play 3 of them at home including a tie with a Moldova side that they already defeated 5-0 on the road.

Finally, Group I where 2 footballing giants were drawn together. Spain top the group but only 1 point ahead of France. All there is by the way of competition outwith those 2 though is Finland. Finland despite not being anywhere near the worst UEFA nation, have never been to the World Cup. And although it probably won't happen again this time round, there still might be a chance they can snatch a playoff place if France's results dip. Their next tie is at home to Spain before travelling to Georgia. If Finland can somehow take 4 points out of those 2 games, they could set themselves up for a real 6 pointer against France on the final day. But, with trips to Georgia and Belarus coming up, France will look to have their fate sealed by then.

Is it true they have a knockout stage that is basically pointless and redundant :vrface: ?

Their whole qualification set up is pretty pointless.

The first round of World Cup qualification is also the qualification for the Nations Cup, their equivalent of the Euro's. Only one team out of a group of 4 can progress and that means they need a strong tournament to stand a chance.

The Oceanic nations cup is effectively the 2nd round of qualification for the World Cup. 8 teams take part in the competition with the 4 semi finalists securing a place in the final qualification stage, as well as the novelty of having a go at the Nations Cup itself.

For what it's worth, Tahiti were the winners of that competition, hence why they're in this years Confederations Cup. However despite that, they still didn't come close to reaching the World Cup.

The third round of qualifying is another group of 4. Pointless in some sense as New Zealand cruise it every time. And, after all that, they don't even qualify for the World Cup as they still need to face a South American team in a playoff.

Not the best set up.

Jambos_1874

European teams (specifically nations outwith France, Germany, England, Spain etc) are at such a disadvantage when it comes to World Cup qualification given the high standard of competition there on the continent. That's why it is so difficult to see Scotalnd qualifying for a World Cup for the forseeable future, particularly given our lowly ranking and relatively poor squad.

I think Germany will win it next year. They've got a great team and I think it'll be difficult for Spain to retain the cup (although I wouldn't put it past them).

rossthejambo

Agreed that the results have made them look lacklustre but I fully expect them to do enough in the end.

Hope not, they've shafted 2 of my coupons with ther shite draws with Panama and Costa Rica. Hopefully Honduras' game in hand means they pip them to the prize.

European teams (specifically nations outwith France, Germany, England, Spain etc) are at such a disadvantage when it comes to World Cup qualification given the high standard of competition there on the continent. That's why it is so difficult to see Scotalnd qualifying for a World Cup for the forseeable future, particularly given our lowly ranking and relatively poor squad.

I think Germany will win it next year. They've got a great team and I think it'll be difficult for Spain to retain the cup (although I wouldn't put it past them).

Has a european team ever won a world cup in south amerca?

Was surprising to see a few groups that didn't contain that high reputation sides. Unfortunately, you could say we were drawn in one and we still can't cut it.

Hasn't been a convincing qualification campaign for us Aussies but we demolished Jordan in Melbourne the other night to set us up nicely against Iraq. The Middle East teams mentality is disappointing, rarely do they ever try to win away. Japan is always a but above, but it's always close amongst the Middle East sides as at home they're ok, but away they just chick it in. Gowser was on the bench the other night, with Matt McKay taking up right back...(rangers reject).

Rudi Skacel

Has a european team ever won a world cup in south amerca?

Spain were the first nation from Europe to win a World Cup outside of Europe in 2010.

shaun.lawson

Spain were the first nation from Europe to win a World Cup outside of Europe in 2010.

But winning the World Cup on a 'neutral' continent and winning it in South America are two completely different things. I've never expected a European team to win it next year; I still don't, and would be stunned if someone does. But with one year to go, things seem to gradually be sorting themselves out into some sort of overall pecking order:

Possible winners: Spain, Germany, Argentina, Brazil

Possible finalists: Italy, Holland

Possible semi-finalists: Colombia, Belgium, USA, Mexico, France, Portugal, Ghana (at a push), Uruguay (at an enormous, unthinkable push), England (in my dreams)

Of those, I'm still going with Argentina to win it, as I have done for the last 3 years. But there's a scenario brewing: in which the most successful nation in the history of the tournament, playing in front of their home crowds and seeking to right the great perceived wrong of 1950, are so written off by so many that they can actually go into the tournament relaxed; under the radar; almost, crazy though it no doubt seems, with nothing to lose.

Brazil don't win World Cups as favourites. But their record when written off is fearfully good - and they have a man who's been there, seen it, and done it the last time everyone gave them no chance in charge as well. They ended up winning the 2002 World Cup by a street; a similar outcome in 2014 would not surprise me at all.

Pohang Jambo

With the finals now less than a year away, we will soon be able to start looking at who's going to Rio for next years tournament. Only Brazil and Japan are confirmed to be there just now, but other team will be joining them very soon with some interesting reading as ever.

In Asia, Japan have already ran away with their group. Eyes are on Uzbekistan though, who have a good chance of making it to their first ever World Cup. The final games take place next Tuesday with the current 2nd team Iran having to travel to South Korea who despite topping the group need a win as much as the other 2. Iran already beat South Korea in Tehran in November. Uzbekistan host future World Cup hosts Qatar they have already beaten 1-0 away in the previous match.

In Group B, Japan have ran away with the group but the pressure is on Australia who need a win at home to Iraq to guarentee automatic qualification. Jordan and Oman are in contention for a playoff place with the latter being the side capable of upsetting Australia. If Oman were to qualify, that would also be historic yet more unlikely than in the other group

South Korea have basically qualified as they beat Uzbekistan 1-0 at the weekend, i'll be heading to the game next Tuesday vs Iran, but say if Korea lose 1-0 they can only go out if Uzbek beat Qatar by over 6 goals. Uzbekistan need Korea to win and they need to beat Qatar to take the 2nd automatic qualifying spot. But the 3rd placed team will play a South American in the playoffs.

Brazil are now 22nd in the FIFA rankings, What the hell has happened there?

Think it's basically because they haven't played enough competitive games due to not having to qualify.

Slightly off topic...

Anyway, here it is..

What a plum. Was the boy not driving fast enough or something :facepalm:

But winning the World Cup on a 'neutral' continent and winning it in South America are two completely different things. I've never expected a European team to win it next year; I still don't, and would be stunned if someone does. But with one year to go, things seem to gradually be sorting themselves out into some sort of overall pecking order:

Possible semi-finalists: Colombia, Belgium, USA, Mexico, France, Portugal, Ghana (at a push), Uruguay (at an enormous, unthinkable push), England (in my dreams)

Of those, I'm still going with Argentina to win it, as I have done for the last 3 years. But there's a scenario brewing: in which the most successful nation in the history of the tournament, playing in front of their home crowds and seeking to right the great perceived wrong of 1950, are so written off by so many that they can actually go into the tournament relaxed; under the radar; almost, crazy though it no doubt seems, with nothing to lose.

Brazil don't win World Cups as favourites. But their record when written off is fearfully good - and they have a man who's been there, seen it, and done it the last time everyone gave them no chance in charge as well. They ended up winning the 2002 World Cup by a street; a similar outcome in 2014 would not surprise me at all.

Spot on. I think Brazil will win it on their home patch or Argentina will win it on their rivals patch. Either way, that would make a tasty final.

i get what you are saying about the writing off of brazil, but i think they might be under too much pressure, couple this with a strong germany, a messi inspired argentina, a strong but defeatable spain could cause an early (quarters maybe depending on the draw) exit for brazil.

i agree with you on argentina to win it, but i can see uruguay going far, the rest i can understand you on and do sort of agree with

Footballfirst

Well done Aussies (and Gowser on the bench). Just beat Iraq 1-0 to clinch a place in the 2014 finals.

The McGowans Babysitter

C'mon Aussie!!! That little ratbag that would never go to bed when I told him to is off to Brazil. :10900:

Black Knight

Aussies through. 1-0. Gowser didnt play but he will next year. Just watched him squirting champagne at the foxtel interviewer in the changeroom. Having a ball

Black Knight

C'mon Aussie!!! That little ratbag that would never go to bed when I told him to is off to Brazil. :10900:

come along way from the Hills. Proud to see

Why couldn't we do it like last week??!! Aussie pressure game wasn't there, but thank god for the late goal. Sorry lads a bit pished here, but stoked the win to get through. I'm just a bit concerned that we're not really world cup finals pedigree and that we could end up the whipping boys. Osieck is a better coach than the dickhead Verbeek in the last tournament so here's to a few upsets! Gowsrr to play next time :D

Brazil are now 22nd in the FIFA rankings, What the hell has happened there?

Im not sure how the rankings work but it might have something to do with Brazil not playing any competetive games.

Im not sure how the rankings work but it might have something to do with Brazil not playing any competetive games.

:spoton: Rankings are a joke

1-1 with Uzbekistan. 20 minutes left.

Unfortunately, Iran are 1-0 up away at Korea so looks like Uzbekistan will need to try their hand at the play-offs.

EDIT - Uzbekistan go 2-1 up. Not over yet. :jjyay:

Sexton Hardcastle

Iran and South Korea book thier place.

Uzbekistan v Oman to play 5th place south American place.

Archived