Small Talk

Rudy T

Small talk with complete strangers - Is there a point to this that I'm missing and just a grumpy old man?

The polite "morning" and a quick nod suits me

Frequent occurrence at the bus stop in the morning.

"It's a cold wind that" - yeah I know I'm standing in it freezing my nuts off you don't need to remind me.

"Is there a bus due" - I guess so unless they're on strike - but the 15 people standing here would suggest that's not the case.

"Those road works are getting worse" - Really how's that then ?

"You wouldn't think it was nearly May" - Why wouldn't I - its almost the end of April, May tends to follow ?

"The roads are busy today" - Yip they are so my journey to work will take longer thanks for your input !

The list goes on !!

Honestly what are you supposed to say to these comments ??

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Doesn't really bother me... Good small-talk/chit-chat is the single man's best method of getting his end away too. :)

As a married man, I engage in it far less, mind. :lol:

Headphones, my good man. Headphones.

Just turn the bloody volume down, just because you have the Spice Girls on full volume, it doesn't mean to say the whole train carriage/bus etc wants to hear it.

Don't bother trying it with anyone but don't oppose if the other person strikes up a conversation. Most times they're rattling a lot of pish and I just smile and nod politely.

Serj Tankian

Keep a set of headphones in my bag at work incase I had to work with a dullard bore they went on but most of the time they weren't connected . Hate chit chat with strangers .

I detest small talk and I'm awful at it. I'd rather they gave me a calculus exam.

Paulie Walnut

Live your life 20% happier and engage in small talk when offered. Nothing good ever came from saying nothing!

Trust me it works

Stuart McNeill

use Headphones whenever I'm alone!

have them full blast so people know I can't hear them and don't want to speak! =]

Guest GhostHunter

I detest small talk and I'm awful at it

Strangely enough, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Anyway, Small Talk....what a load of shite.

ToadKiller Dog

Thought this was a threat dedicated to Ronnie Corbetts short lived 90s quiz show .

Dissapointing .

Chris Benoit

Not very good at it and get quite uncomfortable. I probably come across as a proper ignorant *******. Quite often I'll smile and nod for a bit then just walk away, thank **** I rarely use public transport.

Thing is I'm in and out of folks houses all day (I'm a burglar) and I have no issue chatting away with folk I meet. In shops etc I just can't do it. Wife thinks I'm autistic :lol:

• 4 years later...
Better call Saul

As much as I detest people making small talk around the weather and other meaningless stuff..   EVERY BLOODY DAY

I am now hearing Christmas Small talk 

Are you looking forward to Xmas 

Are you all set? 

Have you started your Xmas shopping? 

Have finished all your Xmas shopping (still to come) 

And the new year patter is just as bad 

Gee me strength. 

You need a good "WTF" response. Something that will unnerve your stranger into stopping small talk.

"Cold today isn't it"

"Hmm...not good for frogs....it is not good for frogs. My frogs will not like the cold.....Frogs.....do you like frogs?...I do. Well...not all frogs...obviously."

been here before

Cannae be doing with these fuds. A nod and a smile should suffice, perhaps even a "morning".

As for these dickwads who regail you with "it's cold today/this morning" well aye it fxxkin well is. Its late November and its Scotland, its been like this for **** millenia- and it will get colder over the next few weeks-wheres the shock or surprise in that?

On 23/04/2013 at 17:51, Private Womble said:

Nod and smile.

Nod, smile and say absolutely **** all.

This, or pretend you haven't noticed them.

Someone wished me to have a nice Christmas today.

:vrface:

I'm vaguely aware that Christmas is coming around in the weeks ahead but it is not really present in my thoughts.   Christmas must be extremely important to some people.    

Worked with an old felly who used to say, on a particularly pishing wet morning on my arrival at the office, ‘Hiya, bit dampish outside isn’t it’?

To be fair, rest his soul, he was a lovely man.

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cannae beat it

One of my least favourites was ‘oh, someone’s been on holiday’.

Get feckin lost you arsehole, I obviously didn’t get this tan in Edinburgh so go and feck yourself.

Or just say to him ‘who’?

And, how is it so ‘obvious’?

Pretend you have Tourette's whenever travelling on public transport - guaranteed you will get no small talk from strangers.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

I don't mind small talk, I do it at work but when I'm out with the dog  and someone talks to me I get taken by surprise and I freeze. I hate when someone walks with me when I'm out with the dog. 

Better call Saul
5 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Odd bump ! 

No really I was going to start a thread on small talk with Christmas and the shite chat that comes with it but I did what any good JKBer  should do and search for an older thread and relight it.. 

If I go into a lift or arrive at a bus stop and there’s someone there I’ll always say “ ‘Morning” or whatever.  I don’t want to discuss the meaning of life with them or imagine that they’re my new BFF but I think it’s weird and harder work to pretend there’s no-one there.

Morgan - as you’ll know, in France it would be unthinkable not to say  ‘Bonjour’ to people.

12 hours ago, FWJ said:

If I go into a lift or arrive at a bus stop and there’s someone there I’ll always say “ ‘Morning” or whatever.  I don’t want to discuss the meaning of life with them or imagine that they’re my new BFF but I think it’s weird and harder work to pretend there’s no-one there.

Morgan - as you’ll know, in France it would be unthinkable not to say  ‘Bonjour’ to people.

That’s for sure.

Shops, in the street, doctor and dentist waiting rooms, restaurants, bars, feckin everywhere.

It’s purely just a habit though as the French can be right rude b@stards most of the other time.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

What time are you on till?

It annoys the hell out of some, I don't mind...I love small talk, bring it on.

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

How’s business?

Rather have that, than some sour face sitting in the back who doesn't want a chat. It's healthy to have a wee chat...I am a mobile psychiatrist, you wouldn't believe the stuff folk tell you:omg:

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Rather have that, than some sour face sitting in the back who doesn't want a chat. It's healthy to have a wee chat...I am a mobile psychiatrist, you wouldn't believe the stuff folk tell you:omg:

Do you ever get folk turn off the speaker thingy so you can’t hear them?

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Do you ever get folk turn off the speaker thingy so you can’t hear them?

Once in a while, but hardly ever. I can still hear you though:pleased:

There are some really grumpy basses around, there really are. I'll talk to anyone, bus stop, supermarket etc. I don't see anything wrong with it, some folk need to lighten up, you might find you enjoy life a bit more. 

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Once in a while, but hardly ever. I can still hear you though:pleased:

There are some really grumpy basses around, there really are. I'll talk to anyone, bus stop, supermarket etc. I don't see anything wrong with it, some folk need to lighten up, you might find you enjoy life a bit more. 

Can you really still hear them talking in the back with the thingy switched off?

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Can you really still hear them talking in the back with the thingy switched off?

Yeah, too right I can. You sound worried, what you been saying/doing in the back of a cab Morgan?

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yeah, too right I can. You sound worried, what you been saying/doing in the back of a cab Morgan?

Thinking I was whispering about the drivers looks and that I JUST WASN’T going to tip him for going from the airport to Bruntsfield via Portobello.

That’s all.

I completely agree with the OP. Whenever I meet someone new, I cut out the crap and immediately launch into an in-depth discussion on the metaphysical realities of Platonic philosophy or the comparison of pre- and post- industrial revolution monetary policies. I suspect that this may not always put my temporary acquaintance at ease, but I simply don't want to waste my time making any sort of connection with anybody that doesn't produce worthwhile reflection.

Just now, redjambo said:

I completely agree with the OP. Whenever I meet someone new, I cut out the crap and immediately launch into an in-depth discussion on the metaphysical realities of Platonic philosophy or the comparison of pre- and post- industrial revolution monetary policies. I suspect that this may not always put my temporary acquaintance at ease, but I simply don't want to waste my time making any sort of connection with anybody that doesn't produce worthwhile reflection.

That’s the way to do it.

Probably makes a party EVEN more fun.

:whistling:

27 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

As a long-standing hitch-hiker, I know exactly where you're coming from. If people know that they will only see you for a short time and then, probably, never hear from you again, they often open up in a way that they wouldn't do normally. I've had some simply amazing conversations with the folk that have picked me up while hitch-hiking.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

That’s the way to do it.

Probably makes a party EVEN more fun.

:whistling:

Hoping for an invite to your next party, Morgan. :)

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Thinking I was whispering about the drivers looks and that I JUST WASN’T going to tip him for going from the airport to Bruntsfield via Portobello.

That’s all.

Aye right, that never happened. I once picked up my old neighbour who told me he'd always wanted to have sex with his partner in the back of a cab. He asked me if I ever picked him up again, would it be alright for them to do it and it would be alright for me to watch:wtf:

Anyway, that's a lovely blue sky today.

Archived