The 5-1 Gesture

topcat

Thanks to Hibs great season turning out to actually be roughly as shit as our crap season we've got a fourth derby coming up

Is the whole 5-1 signal better done in the more conventional "arms out wide" style or the slightly more progressive arms crossed manner.

They both work but is it too early to start putting a new spin on the original? Or should we be getting the message across in as many ways as we can?

Eric Morecambe would be arms out wide while Ernie Wise would be elbows in arms up. Ginger Rogers would be arms crossed but Fred Astaire would be arms wide. David Bowie would be arms wide but Aladin Sane would be arms crossed. Morrisey would be arms wide but Johny Marr would be arms crossed. Flava Flav Would be all over the arms crossed version while Chuck D would be Elbows in hands straight up. Brian May would be discrete crossed arms with 5 pointed upwards and 1 pointed down while Freddie mercury would be 5 high in the air and one finger on the other hand hanging there ready to lean down point at anyone who questioned his assertion. Jesus would have five fingers on his right hand and one on his left while Mohammed would be the other way round because Arabs read in the other direction, The Hindu goddess Kali has Eight Arms so she could actually celebrate the 10-2 match in 1893, the 2012 Scottish Cup Final and Mark De Vries Home debut simultaneously.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tartofmidlothian

Two 'S's in Morrissey.

You didn't say what Elbow would be doing with their elbows.

Two 'S's in Morrissey.

You didn't say what Elbow would be doing with their elbows.

This is a family forum

Buffalo Bill

Very good, TC. For the record, I only recognise Hibs' goal with my pinkie.

PatrickNevin

Dear Jambos,

My apologies for barging in on your site, I am sure it isn?t hugely welcome from a Hibs man like me but I feel I need to talk to a number of the real Hearts fans directly. This particular topic seemed strangely fitting. It was recently brought to my attention that some unacceptable comments and language had been used against some Hearts fans on line, emanating from my son?s account. First of all they did come from him or at least some of them did, so no excuse there. In fact this is an open and sincere apology to anyone who was offended.

The excuse/reason for the language is that Simon is on the autistic spectrum and he is unaware of the offence and indeed the consequences of his words sometimes. He is a very keen Hibs fan and obviously got carried away with the ?banter? in cyberspace, many others may have done the same but I have told him it is absolutely not acceptable from him. He does not like talking about autism and we as a family have never made any public comments, so it is perfectly understandable if any of you were angered, you didn?t have the full facts.

Most importantly he is not a hateful guy anyway and there is certainly no negative feeling in our family against Hearts or indeed any team. Yes we support our team but it has never meant hatred of the opposition, not in this household anyway.

Like many parents, I was unaware of the intensity of the online ?debate?, but my wife and I were shocked by it when we were made aware and as such we just couldn?t let it lie. It is worth mentioning that it was not a Hearts fan who brought it to our attention, so thank you to those who witnessed it for being so understanding already.

If any Hearts fan feels the need to contact me personally, I will try to get back on to the site and answer any questions when I have a moment. In the meantime, thanks for your understanding and of course please don?t let up on the abuse at me personally when I am squirming on the telly when Hibs are having a torrid time. Times such as at half time last week against Falkirk at Hampden and there might have been another time at Hampden a little while back but I can?t quite remember it. That abuse is welcome, funny and I always take it in the right spirit.

Good luck for the rest of the season, with the obvious exception of course!

PS A couple of weeks ago I Hearts fan came up to me in Edinburgh and DIDN'T make the 5-1 gesture....the first time since last summer that has happened.

Pat Nevin

Dear Jambos,

My apologies for barging in on your site, I am sure it isn?t hugely welcome from a Hibs man like me but I feel I need to talk to a number of the real Hearts fans directly. This particular topic seemed strangely fitting. It was recently brought to my attention that some unacceptable comments and language had been used against some Hearts fans on line, emanating from my son?s account. First of all they did come from him or at least some of them did, so no excuse there. In fact this is an open and sincere apology to anyone who was offended.

The excuse/reason for the language is that Simon is on the autistic spectrum and he is unaware of the offence and indeed the consequences of his words sometimes. He is a very keen Hibs fan and obviously got carried away with the ?banter? in cyberspace, many others may have done the same but I have told him it is absolutely not acceptable from him. He does not like talking about autism and we as a family have never made any public comments, so it is perfectly understandable if any of you were angered, you didn?t have the full facts.

Most importantly he is not a hateful guy anyway and there is certainly no negative feeling in our family against Hearts or indeed any team. Yes we support our team but it has never meant hatred of the opposition, not in this household anyway.

Like many parents, I was unaware of the intensity of the online ?debate?, but my wife and I were shocked by it when we were made aware and as such we just couldn?t let it lie. It is worth mentioning that it was not a Hearts fan who brought it to our attention, so thank you to those who witnessed it for being so understanding already.

If any Hearts fan feels the need to contact me personally, I will try to get back on to the site and answer any questions when I have a moment. In the meantime, thanks for your understanding and of course please don?t let up on the abuse at me personally when I am squirming on the telly when Hibs are having a torrid time. Times such as at half time last week against Falkirk at Hampden and there might have been another time at Hampden a little while back but I can?t quite remember it. That abuse is welcome, funny and I always take it in the right spirit.

PS A couple of weeks ago I Hearts fan came up to me in Edinburgh and DIDN'T make the 5-1 gesture....the first time since last summer that has happened.

Pat Nevin

Fair play to you Pat for doing this. As a 'punishment' maybe you could casually do the 5-1 gesture next time you are on MOTD2???

Dear Jambos,

Pat Nevin

I'm not sure how to respond to this.

Fair play to you Pat for doing this. As a 'punishment' maybe you could casually do the 5-1 gesture next time you are on MOTD2???

I support this suggestion :D

Fair play Pat and welcome to the board.

:wow:

Pat, you don't need to apologise for or explain your sons comments. Adults that support a team know that's what they'll get from opposition fans.

scott_jambo

Dear Jambos,

Pat Nevin

Hi Pat,

You always come across well and can't rack my brains enough to think of a time when you've actually had a go at Hearts so fair play. :)

Me and my work are doing the Spartan challenge at Dalmeny/Queensferry for Scottish Autism. :)

Your son just loves his team, most Hibs fans couldn't give a crap about their own team so good on the lad. I hope you and your wife aren't worrying about it too much, just a bit of banter.

Dear Jambos,

Pat Nevin

Football aside, my son has autism, and I totally understand the need to post.

People could learn a lot from autistic children, say it as they see it and when they have an interest, its strong (obsessive some call it.)

One day the need to apologise will not be necessary, but not Today, and your post is a good one.

Fair play and good luck.

PatrickNevin

Thanks for the initial reaction guys, expecting a bit more abuse later but different class to be honest.

5-1 on MOTD made me laugh out loud and then shiver at the thought.

Pat

Pat, can you tell us more about how you feared for your life in the Hampden studio after being intimidated by 'the moronic element of the Hearts support'?

::troll:::'>

Thanks for the initial reaction guys, expecting a bit more abuse later but different class to be honest.

Pat

It's all just Fighting Talk Pat

The Old Tolbooth

Dear Jambos,

Pat Nevin

Fair play for coming on and explaining the situation so credit where it's due for that, the 5-1 taunting will never stop though :cheese:

150770_442213855856538_941070553_n.jpg

Pat

It's all just football banter. Fair play for signing up though.

However - that penalty... :whistling:

Dear Jambos,

Pat Nevin

Your lad loves his team and that's what matters, at the end of the day the majority on here love our team just as much and as long as we can have banter about it with rival fans then its all good.

As others have said, no need to apologise.

You are one of the better pundits around and even though you follow the wee team, you are one of the few pundits whose point is worth respecting and listening too, in fact yours is the only comment I don't fast forward on MOTD2. :lol:

And you deserve a medal for having to deal with Colin Murray every week. :muggy:

A sneaky 5-1 would be good though. :thumbsup:

very big of you Pat, not necessary but I can get why you did it.

Now apologise to topcat for detailing a thread that was otherwise bound for the classics. His contextualization of the ways of performing the 5-1 in to a Don Quixote-Sancho Panza relationship is fresh and invigorating to a debate that was in danger of becoming stale. You took that from him. For shame.

For the record, Don Quixote would cross his arms.

Pat

Im sure we could organise a donation to the Scottish Society for Autsim (or something similar) for a 5-1 from Pat...

Pat, are you ready to condemn Garry O'Connor's shameful treatment of his Cup Final medal?

Seriously, though, having an articulate pundit on TV is a relief from some other folk.

Fair play for coming on and explaining the situation so credit where it's due for that, the 5-1 taunting will never stop though :cheese:

150770_442213855856538_941070553_n.jpg

You're never here when Robbo does his Q&A's, but when Pat Nevin shows up... :whistling:

scott_jambo

Pat, can we get a Q&A session with you on here? I don't care about your views on Hibs and Hearts but would be good to ask questions about Scotland/Chelsea/MOTD/5Live etc...(Yes - Shaun from Uruguay is on this board.) :facepalm:

We've had the Chief Executive of AFC Wimbledon/John Robertson/George Foulkes and FOH do Question and Answer sessions, so as you can see we are kind of a big deal. :verysmug:

You're never here when Robbo does his Q&A's, but when Pat Nevin shows up... :whistling:

:omg!:

True mind.

Consider me gobsmacked. Blimey.

Great effort Pat but there's really no need to apologise. Kids get a bit carried away. No harm done I'm sure.

Understand why you might've wanted to say something though and the effort is appreciated. :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

:rofl:

That hurt man, that really cut me to the quick! :(

PsychocAndy

Good to hear from Pat, As others have said no need but thanks anyway.

I was a fan of you as a player and I like your punditry but,

that best Scottish record program you done, check my user name, that was it, every single track.

Fair play to Pat.

I'm not aware of the incident/thread that you refer to but there need be no apology necessary for the circumstances described.

Every-one on this board deserves respect even if they sadly follow H1b5.

Giving us a 5-1 gesture may well propel you to legendary status!

Good luck for the final!

Im sure we could organise a donation to the Scottish Society for Autsim (or something similar) for a 5-1 from Pat...

Would love to make this happen.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

I'm completely unaware of the comments Pat is referring to but it takes some balls to come on here and apologise.

Pat, you always come across reasonably well on tv and I do enjoy when your on Off The Ball. As somebody else mentioned a short Q&A would be interesting if it can be arranged.

Anyways, enough of the Hobo love-in. Watching your squirm post 19/05/12 was rather amusing!!

Dear Jambos,

Pat Nevin

Absolutely no need to apologise. We all get carried away at times. It's been said on here before, but respect for bringing up your laddie to support a non OF team.

Forget the MOTD 5-1, I want to hear you sing our version of KC and the Sunshine Band next time you are on Fighting Talk. :thumbsup:

scott_jambo

Pat, tell us more about how you turned down Chelsea Champions League winning final tickets to watch the 5-1. :pleasing:

Love the idea of a sponsored 5-1. I can see 3 positives from such a thing.

1) we get a wee giggle at Pats expense

2) a very worthwhile charity gets a decent donation.

3) the inevitable rabid thread on scoobydoo.net will be,quite simply, comedy gold.

:)

Love the idea of a sponsored 5-1. I can see 3 positives from such a thing.

1) we get a wee giggle at Pats expense

2) a very worthwhile charity gets a decent donation.

3) the inevitable rabid thread on scoobydoo.net will be,quite simply, comedy gold.

:)

Ball's in Pats' court now...

PsychocAndy

You do realize that some lazy Gobshite Journo is going to lift your reply on here and post it as the scoop of the century. I hope not but kickback seems to be a mine of info for the laziest of the "red top" reporters.

Archived