Toast To The Lassies

Gershwin

Need to give the toast at a Burns Supper this weekend.

:vrface:

Anyone know a good resource that might give me some inspiration?

The People's Chimp

A quick google threw up this "gem":

Sensible advice to womenfolk preparing for their husband's return from work- from the May 13,1955, issue of Housekeeping Monthly.

Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking.

Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first, remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment, without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure.

Arrange his cushion and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

Don't ask him questions about his actions. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

The best I ever heard was really respectful to women and poked fun at the sexism of the typical toasts.

The stupid cow that did the reply came out with a load of tired sexist cliches and made a right ***** of herself.

What's your menu?

I'm doing haggis, neeps an tatties as a starter with whisky sauce. Then a venison and ale pie followed by cranachan. Got a nice 15 year old Glenlivet to help the evening along

I gave the toast to the lassies at a Burns Supper on Saturday and I decided to write my own speech. Generally if it is a formal occasion it should last around 5 minutes. My toast was on scottish women through the ages with plenty of jokes thrown in. My advice would be to combine and adapt what you find on the internet rather than copy it in it's entirety especially if the crowd have been to a load of Burn's suppers before.

Archived