Summer Football

davieholt

Interesting article. I would really like summer football, even if it was only for two years out of 4 and we could have the season change to the current format for the Euro's and World cup.

very interesting figures and i agree with most of the points. the only thing is i holiday in the UK and do not fancy going in February or November. Don't want to miss the football

Good article - makes some solid points. Can't see it happening anytime soon, but would definitely be in favour.

I was always against summer football. I always argued that winters were long and dark enough without football.

Then a few years ago we played Motherwell around Xmas time and getting home was a nightmare. Blizzards and accidents on the way home was horrible. it took more than twice the normal time to get home.

So that added to bigger revenue from TV means I support it now. :thumbsup:

I was always against summer football. I always argued that winters were long and dark enough without football.

Then a few years ago we played Motherwell around Xmas time and getting home was a nightmare. Blizzards and accidents on the way home was horrible. it took more than twice the normal time to get home.

Is there actual proof that we'd get bigger revenue though? Concrete evidence of offers rather than just saying "Oh the English football isn't on so we're bound to get more cash."

As for the weather, there's as much chance of a torrential downpour in the summer as in the winter, this year being a prime example of that.

IMO, there really aren't enough concrete, guaranteed positives to switch to Summer football.

Is there actual proof that we'd get bigger revenue though? Concrete evidence of offers rather than just saying "Oh the English football isn't on so we're bound to get more cash."

As for the weather, there's as much chance of a torrential downpour in the summer as in the winter, this year being a prime example of that.

IMO, there really aren't enough concrete, guaranteed positives to switch to Summer football.

I've no proof but all we'd be competing against is cricket. Surely we'd get a bigger audience and therefore more money if that was the case.

Your right about the weather though. It can be just as bad in summer than winter. The game I'm on about was a night game and the weather going home was horrific. having my daughter in the can and getting home after midnight and witnessing a few accidents was bad.

Going to the football in shorts and t-shirts is surely better than being freezing cold in winter clothing is it not?

I've no proof but all we'd be competing against is cricket. Surely we'd get a bigger audience and therefore more money if that was the case.

Your right about the weather though. It can be just as bad in summer than winter. The game I'm on about was a night game and the weather going home was horrific. having my daughter in the can and getting home after midnight and witnessing a few accidents was bad.

Going to the football in shorts and t-shirts is surely better than being freezing cold in winter clothing is it not?

I'm not convinced Sky/ESPN are going to up their offer just because there's nothing else on telly.

No doubt, the weather in winter can be abysmal, I'm not denying that but the argument about going to the football in shorts and t shirts when you consider the monsoons we've been treated to this year and the almost constant potential for a downpour in the middle of July knocks that idea on the head for me.

If the Russians can switch their league from summer to winter football then we can cope as well IMO :thumbsup:

I'm not convinced Sky/ESPN are going to up their offer just because there's nothing else on telly.

No doubt, the weather in winter can be abysmal, I'm not denying that but the argument about going to the football in shorts and t shirts when you consider the monsoons we've been treated to this year and the almost constant potential for a downpour in the middle of July knocks that idea on the head for me.

If the Russians can switch their league from summer to winter football then we can cope as well IMO :thumbsup:

While I agree it can - and does - rain in Summer, this year has been exceptional.

I have been freezing my knackers off watching mostly abysmal tripe for more than 50 years and would welcome summer footie. Slanting sleet amd zero temperatures is a great leveller - no wonder we struggle against teams from Mediterranean countries. I vote for SF, it might encourage the ball players

More people in England would be interested in cricket, I think.

I am not convinced we would get bigger crowds, assuming of course we got a Summer. People go on holiday or play golf or bowls. The various excuses and reasons we see in here and other forums for not going to games would remain and there would be more.

Why would I buy a season ticket, when I may miss games when I am holiday, wiping out any savings. People have already complained about season tickets not being worth it. I'f there was Sunmer football, they would have a point.

We surely could get a better deal though if we are the only football on.

Yes we can and have coped with winter football but it is shit being freezing cold at the game. Even if it is chucking it down with rain in summer that is preferable to driving sleet in winter is it not?

More people in England would be interested in cricket, I think.

I am not convinced we would get bigger crowds, assuming of course we got a Summer. People go on holiday or play golf or bowls. The various excuses and reasons we see in here and other forums for not going to games would remain and there would be more.

Why would I buy a season ticket, when I may miss games when I am holiday, wiping out any savings. People have already complained about season tickets not being worth it. I'f there was Sunmer football, they would have a point.

Cricket is popular in England but having football on too would surely still get a decent audience watching.

I reckon you've more chance of getting walk up supporters in summer rather than winter.

Holidays would be a problem though.

We surely could get a better deal though if we are the only football on.

Yes we can and have coped with winter football but it is shit being freezing cold at the game. Even if it is chucking it down with rain in summer that is preferable to driving sleet in winter is it not?

Maybe, but we should be getting a better deal now but the bigwigs don't seem interested in actually negotiating. They seem happy enough to just accept what they're getting. I've no reason to believe that that will change because we're the only show in town in the summer.

Whether it's rain or sleet/snow, it makes no real difference to me. I'll still be getting soaked regardless so I'm not going to be bothered whether I'm wearing another layer under my jacket or not.

Maybe, but we should be getting a better deal now but the bigwigs don't seem interested in actually negotiating. They seem happy enough to just accept what they're getting. I've no reason to believe that that will change because we're the only show in town in the summer.

Whether it's rain or sleet/snow, it makes no real difference to me. I'll still be getting soaked regardless so I'm not going to be bothered whether I'm wearing another layer under my jacket or not.

The idiots in charge would probably accept a lower deal. Surely we could get a much better deal.

You must admit its nicer if it isn't freezing.

There's been quite a few Scottish cup games where i've wished for anyone to score so I can get into the car for a heat. We don't have that problem in summer. Usually. :lol:

Same here - couldn't see the point when I was younger. And then I gradually began to see sense. The arguments against it just don't stand up in court for me now.

Today! Not in the mood to read all that crap!

Summer football :thumbsup:

Watching the famous wearing a t-shirt then havin a BBQ when u get home after humping the unwashed from Leith!

Or

Freezing, ice, snow, wind and then you find out the game is cancelled when you are half way to the match (not at Tynecastle of course)!

I think that's called a no brainer.

Always been in the pro summer football camp. Hated playing amateur fitba in the winter and only ever went to Hearts games out of habit for many many years, and will continue to do so. I reckon I maybe "enjoy" one game in four or five. Much more chance of a good quality game in better weather.

Francis Albert

"Summer football" means swapping June and July for December and January. 80% of the season would be played in exactly the same months as they are now. With no guarantee that the worst weather of the winter would be avoided.

Summer football can GTF, winter's bad enough without having any football to distract me.

Just stay in and watch the premiership while the Scottish league plays summer footy

"Summer football" means swapping June and July for December and January. 80% of the season would be played in exactly the same months as they are now. With no guarantee that the worst weather of the winter would be avoided.

Not necessarily. Early March to late October has 34 or 35 Saturdays and includes much more leeway for midweek games, particularly in May, June and July as there would be less Euro and International dates. personally I'd prefer to spend the winter indoors.

A point I've always argued is that we'd sell more season tickets if they could be given as Christmas presents for the new season commencing in early spring. I've got loads more but that's the most relevant to our current predicament.

I've no proof but all we'd be competing against is cricket.

In Sky terms, Rugby League is massive during the summer.

As for summer football, I'm a yes. Personally, I think it would get a lot more kids involved in playing the game which can only be a good thing. And regardless of our pishy summers and winters, summer is still better.

I'm close enough to being finished with football as a sport as it is - switching to the summer would end it as a going concern for this guy.

I'm sure that the loss of me will be made up by 10,000 others, of course.

Agree.

Plus loss of New Year derby. And the Cup final in November. And the interference with the World Cup/Euro championships.

There are few things like the crackle of the atmosphere of a big game on a cold winter's night under the floodlights.

There are few things like the crackle of the atmosphere of a big game on a cold winter's night under the floodlights.

But a Euro night-time tie in August has just provided one of the best atmospheres at Tynie, ever.

But a Euro night-time tie in August has just provided one of the best atmospheres at Tynie, ever.

No doubt about that.

And that will still happen as the football season isn't going to be shifted to the 'summer'. :thumbsup:

No doubt about that.

And that will still happen as the football season isn't going to be shifted to the 'summer'. :thumbsup:

Or maybe because Euro fixtures take a 'winter' break.

:teehee:

Don't see much difference between our summers and winters tbh

I remain astounded folk wheel this one out. I take it you mean apart from daylight hours and temperatures and historically (not this July I concede) just about everything else meteorological? January and July is like night and day, almost literally. Look at the enthusiasm on here for a friendly at Rotherham. It's a bit different I grant you but surely a competitive fixture would generate even more interest. I certainly believe visiting Dingwall on June 29th would be much more appealing than December 29th. No?

Even from a football point of view, check out Opta or whatever they're called. Players run further and get less injuries in the summer months.

I'm all for summer football and have been for years. Football has been at a low ebb in our country for ages and something drastic needs to be done to revitalise it - we need to grab the attention of the spectators that are drifting away. If it doesn't work, fine, change it back. At the very least I would like to see the league season start in early July and shut down in January. January has always been a tough month as there are lots of postponements, supporters are skint, pitches are terrible, crowds are lower etc

I remain astounded folk wheel this one out. I take it you mean apart from daylight hours and temperatures and historically (not this July I concede) just about everything else meteorological? January and July is like night and day, almost literally. Look at the enthusiasm on here for a friendly at Rotherham. It's a bit different I grant you but surely a competitive fixture would generate even more interest. I certainly believe visiting Dingwall on June 29th would be much more appealing than December 29th. No?

Even from a football point of view, check out Opta or whatever they're called. Players run further and get less injuries in the summer months.

Personally I prefer visiting the Highlands in the winter. Much more scenic with snow on the mountains :thumbsup:

But the rest of your argument makes sense.

I'm astounded you took my post literally tbh :lol:

Btw, the interest in friendlies in the summer are probably nothing to do with it being the summer. It's just because it's the close season and folk want to get pished in a different part of the UK. Would be same in winter IMO.

I'm astounded you took my post literally tbh :lol:

Btw, the interest in friendlies in the summer are probably nothing to do with it being the summer. It's just because it's the close season and folk want to get pished in a different part of the UK. Would be same in winter IMO.

Maybe because your post never had any implication of humour. Now I get it :thumbsup: ...actually, I don't. :whistling:

I don't think Rotherham v Hearts in the middle of a winter break would have anything like the interest the July match had. Or was that a joke too?

I don't think Rotherham v Hearts in the middle of a winter break would have anything like the interest the July match had. Or was that a joke too?

Folk just need their Hearts fix during the close season, I dont see what difference the weather makes. Unless our support is full of fair weather pricks that only turn up if the sun is shining (you may be on to something actually). There's always an excuse not to go to games in our support though, I'm sure we'd invent some new ones not to travel to games in the summer week in week out.

Folk just need their Hearts fix during the close season, I dont see what difference the weather makes. Unless our support is full of fair weather pricks that only turn up if the sun is shining (you may be on to something actually). There's always an excuse not to go to games in our support though, I'm sure we'd invent some new ones not to travel to games in the summer week in week out.

:facepalm:

Wow! You actually have no idea about the behaviour of human beings!

More people will go and watch an outdoor event in nice weather than in the snow, rain, and sub zero temps. How could you even suggest this wouldn't be the case???

Shopping centres are busy in bad weather and quiet in nice.

Cinemas are busy in bad weather and quiet in nice.

Country parks are busy in nice weather and deserted in bad.

Even just the pavements in our streets are busier in nice weather and deserted in bad.

Summer football=higher attendances

Question is, would it decrease TV revenue? After all, who in their right mind would sit at home in front of TV on a glorious summer night or afternoon?

Francis Albert

:facepalm:

Wow! You actually have no idea about the behaviour of human beings!

More people will go and watch an outdoor event in nice weather than in the snow, rain, and sub zero temps. How could you even suggest this wouldn't be the case???

Shopping centres are busy in bad weather and quiet in nice.

Cinemas are busy in bad weather and quiet in nice.

Country parks are busy in nice weather and deserted in bad.

Even just the pavements in our streets are busier in nice weather and deserted in bad.

Summer football=higher attendances

Question is, would it decrease TV revenue? After all, who in their right mind would sit at home in front of TV on a glorious summer night or afternoon?

But won't football then be competing with all the other outdoor events that are much pleasanter in summer than winter - days out with the family, picnics, walks in the country or parks, playing golf or other outdoor sports, going on holiday etc etc. Indeed the very things that you admit tend to deflate TV audiences. It doesn't to me seem at all self evident that football would win in attendances.

As for TV revenue, apart from your point that other things are more attractive to do than watching TV, the only months that are free from competion from EPL and other big league football are June and July, months which are usually not exactly free of competition from sporting events that are more attractive from the broadcasters' viewpoint than SPL football. This summer may have been exceptional, but in two out of three years there is the World Cup or European Nations Cup, every four years the Olympics, every year Wimbledon, Open golf, Test match and other international cricket, other major athletics events, Formula 1, and so on and on.

But won't football then be competing with all the other outdoor events that are much pleasanter in summer than winter - days out with the family, picnics, walks in the country or parks, playing golf or other outdoor sports, going on holiday etc etc. Indeed the very things that you admit tend to deflate TV audiences. It doesn't to me seem at all self evident that football would win in attendances.

As for TV revenue, apart from your point that other things are more attractive to do than watching TV, the only months that are free from competion from EPL and other big league football are June and July, months which are usually not exactly free of competition from sporting events that are more attractive from the broadcasters' viewpoint than SPL football. This summer may have been exceptional, but in two out of three years there is the World Cup or European Nations Cup, every four years the Olympics, every year Wimbledon, Open golf, Test match and other international cricket, other major athletics events, Formula 1, and so on and on.

Good points and all valid. I think football would have to get creative with scheduling, more evening kick offs both at weekends and midweek for example.

I do think it is a no brainer that travelling to a football match on a warm summer night is more appealing than a cold winter afternoon.

I should add, I don't want summer football, Id be bored out my skull without football in the winter. I have plenty things to do in the Summer to keep me occupied.

Good points and all valid. I think football would have to get creative with scheduling, more evening kick offs both at weekends and midweek for example.

I do think it is a no brainer that travelling to a football match on a warm summer night is more appealing than a cold winter afternoon.

I should add, I don't want summer football, Id be bored out my skull without football in the winter. I have plenty things to do in the Summer to keep me occupied.

Not if the transport is more restrictive.

Summers are for travelling, hillwalking, going to beaches, catching up with old friends, doing a bit of gardening and lazing around listening to music and reading books. I don't want football anywhere near them unless there's a major international tournament to be watched on TV. The season already begins at least a month too early in my view.

This debate again, summer football is the way forward .. Haven't rad the thread but no doubt the arguement against is the 'but I'd be bored in winter' arguement

This debate again, summer football is the way forward .. Haven't rad the thread but no doubt the arguement against is the 'but I'd be bored in winter' arguement

:lol:

That's exactly what I said! But I do think Summer football is the way forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived