#2 andythejambo

andythejambo

• Paid Member
  • 71 posts
  • 4 topics

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

[quote name='12august1893' timestamp='1347259217' post='3149180']
Joy turned to horror that night

Rememeber it like it was yesterday - got back to our hotel in Newport - all of us singing away - the next second the place fell silent as the news broke....

#3 Cow

Cow

Reserve Team

• Registered Users D
  • 5,085 posts
  • 73 topics
  • LocationCraigleith

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

Went along Stockbridge for a celebratory chippy after watching the game in a mates house , devastated when we heard the news on our return.

#4 The Gasman

The Gasman

Nobody's Hero

• Registered Users A
  • 11,897 posts
  • 66 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

We left to drive home after the game, and never had the radio on in the car. It wasn't till we stopped in Biggar on the way up, and went into a newsagents, that we discovered what had happened. :sad:

#5 Stuart Lyon

Stuart Lyon

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 3,708 posts
  • 181 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

We were making our way back to our hotel in Ross-on-Wye when we heard the news on the radio. Sad end to a glorious night.

#6 Drewjambobusby

Drewjambobusby

• Paid Member
  • 1,463 posts
  • 22 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

We were in the tiny enclosure, just along from the dug outs, and saw him come out and stumble. We actually laughed i am ashamed to say, because we thought he had just tripped. Then the commotion, and we realised it was something bad. Found out news on way back to Cardiff Hotel.

Was an eerie atmosphere and needless to say something i will never forget. A great man.

#7 Baird, King and Michael

Baird, King and Michael

• Registered Users B
  • 210 posts
  • 8 topics

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Remember him before the game joking with the Scottish fans behind the goal who wouldn't give Neville Southall the warm up balls back. We were on a football special returning to Waverley and never knew till we were back in Edinburgh. A genuine legend.

#8 Shinzo

Shinzo

• Paid Member
  • 1,081 posts
  • 8 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Post12august1893, on 10 September 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

Joy turned to horror that night

Rememeber it like it was yesterday - got back to our hotel in Newport - all of us singing away - the next second the place fell silent as the news broke....

We were staying in Risca,a mining town outside Newport. Went for a pint on the outskirts of Cardiff after the game,got a lift to Risca from the B&B owner,had a couple of drinks with him in the B&B (house) and knew nothing about what had happened until the next morning. "Tea or coffee? .. and I see your manager died".

#9 The Gasman

The Gasman

Nobody's Hero

• Registered Users A
  • 11,897 posts
  • 66 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostDrewjambobusby, on 10 September 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

We were in the tiny enclosure, just along from the dug outs, and saw him come out and stumble. We actually laughed i am ashamed to say, because we thought he had just tripped. Then the commotion, and we realised it was something bad. Found out news on way back to Cardiff Hotel.

Was an eerie atmosphere and needless to say something i will never forget. A great man.

We were in the enclosure as well, and actually thought there'd maybe been a bit of a scuffle involving some of the back room staff - then never thought anymore of it.

Can't say we ever noticed any eerie atmosphere, and we weren't even aware that he wasn't back in the dug out.

As you say, a day never to be forgotten. :sad:

#10 Drewjambobusby

Drewjambobusby

• Paid Member
  • 1,463 posts
  • 22 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostThe Gasman, on 10 September 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

We were in the enclosure as well, and actually thought there'd maybe been a bit of a scuffle involving some of the back room staff - then never thought anymore of it.

Can't say we ever noticed any eerie atmosphere, and we weren't even aware that he wasn't back in the dug out.

As you say, a day never to be forgotten. :sad:

The eerie atmosphere was back at hotel, not at game ,once news had filtered through.
The enclosure had the crappy stand above it, and Rod Stewart and i think, Kelly Emberg, were right above our heads.
The stadium was literally falling down. What a place.

Memories of that game are really vivid, for all the wrong reasons.

#11 johnmitchell

johnmitchell

No green on this site!

• Paid Member
  • 26,590 posts
  • 318 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

I remember this game, I was just a youngster of course  :whistling: and we were celebrating the result as it guaranteed us a spot in Mexico, and then news came that Stein had died, it was a horrible moment, the man truly was one of footballs greats.

#12 The Gasman

The Gasman

Nobody's Hero

• Registered Users A
  • 11,897 posts
  • 66 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostDrewjambobusby, on 10 September 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Memories of that game are really vivid, for all the wrong reasons.

Funny, I'm the opposite.  :huh:

Just vague memories of the trip down, the pre-game atmosphere, and the match itself, though I do remember the ground as being little better than Brockville..!  :ermm:

My vivid memories are from the following morning, of us walking into that newsagents in Biggar, and suddenly being aware of all the newspaper headlines.  Of an old bloke in the shop who, in seeing us in our Scotland tops, silently shook each of us by the hand, while the tears ran down his face.  Of sitting on the pavement outside the shop, with copies of most of the papers, trying to take in what had happened. Trying to comprehend that we had been there, yet were aware of nothing, and now passers by were stopping to offer us their condolences... :sad:

A very surreal experience. :unsure:

#13 Durham Jambo

Durham Jambo

Season Ticket Holder

• Registered Users C
  • 174 posts
  • 1 topics
  • LocationStenhousemuir

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

I watched the game on telly and then went to bed as I was only 11 at the time. My Dad came upstairs to tell me the news. Sad times.

#14 japanjambo

japanjambo

Reserve Team

• Paid Member
  • 4,227 posts
  • 177 topics
  • LocationLivi

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Very sad day for scottish football...

#15 Hector Riva

Hector Riva

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 534 posts
  • 25 topics

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Very sad.

I was at the game in the Stand behind Jock.
Didn't find out until the disco we where in later on that night stop for 1 minute silence.

Driving home the next day we stopped  to ask some road workies(in England where the nearest chippie was.
They all said sorry to hear about Jock and removed there woolie hat's.
Respect!
RIP Big man.

#16 Heartsofgold

Heartsofgold

Old Guard

• Paid Member
  • 393 posts
  • 29 topics
  • LocationMusselburgh

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostDurham Jambo, on 10 September 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

I watched the game on telly and then went to bed as I was only 11 at the time. My Dad came upstairs to tell me the news. Sad times.

Similar story to this DH.  I was allowed to stay up though and broke my heart when the news came through.  Went from jumping about the living room like a loon to sitting with my nana, who was a big Celtic fan, she was inconsolable.

Shankly, Stein, Busby.  Lanarkshire/Ayrshire knew how to produce real Football managers back then.  Legends each and everyone.

#17 Sydney

Sydney

Shareholder, Donator, Supporter.

• Paid Member_10
  • 3,086 posts
  • 132 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

I remember it well.

Watched the game on TV, but when news came through about his death, I went up to my bedroom and nearly had a wee cry.  I remember sitting there for ages.

The Scotland shorts were honking.

#18 OTT

OTT

Wait i can change this?

• Registered Users A
  • 2,743 posts
  • 47 topics

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

Rip sadly too young so missed the stein era

#19 12august1893

12august1893

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 9,844 posts
  • 1,050 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

I remember Stein was on the TV at the end of the season when they were choosing 'goal of the season'. IIRC Bobby Charlton was on as well.

Bobby (or some other panellist) picked some shot from about 30 yards out. Jock picked a goal that had about 20 passes and ended up with a 'tap in' from about 5 yards into an empty net.

Jock justified his decision by saying that every pass either beat a man or manoeuvred them into a position where a pass would beat them. He said that it was truly unstoppable by ending up with that tap in.

#20 scots civil war

scots civil war

Squad Member

• Paid Member
  • 2,346 posts
  • 27 topics
  • Locationnewhaven

Donator

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

i was at that game

was very quiet outside on leaving the ground behind the stand,and knew summat grim had happened

there was a lot of swedging in the shed opposite where i was,big cardiff lads with the perrys on all swaying into us northern mob.

the big shed was half n half.swaying back and forth n fists n arms flying wiv all the cops in between everybod.when cooper converted the penalty towards the end of the game,the place went into meltdown

did see a commotion when stein stumbled tho,did seem odd

#21 12august1893

12august1893

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 9,844 posts
  • 1,050 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

It's now 28 years today.

#22 jack D and coke

jack D and coke

Proper Hearts Man

• Paid Member_10
  • 9,000 posts
  • 168 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

Remember it well. We were truly rubbish that night and probably didn't deserve the draw that took us through. I was only 12 or 13 at the time but can remember the sheer shock on hearing the news. Can remember I thought Neville Southall had saved Cooper's penalty too until the Scotland erupted. Sad to think Davie Cooper is gone too.

#23 Currahee!

Currahee!

Gassed......

• Paid Member_10
  • 11,550 posts
  • 73 topics
  • LocationSelkirk

Donator

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

28 years?

It doesn't seem that long tbh.

#24 piltonjambo

piltonjambo

Forgetting to Remember ...They shall grow not old, as we that ar

• Paid Member
  • 731 posts
  • 53 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

That train journey home ... joyous celebration being replaced by eerie silence as the news filtered through the carriages ...

#25 Tams bird

Tams bird

Co-Owner

• Paid Member
  • 9,518 posts
  • 215 topics
  • Location500 yards from tynecastle.

Donator

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

Leaky eye reading this...  Great man.

#26 12august1893

12august1893

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 9,844 posts
  • 1,050 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostCurrahee!, on 10 September 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

28 years?

It doesn't seem that long tbh.

That season marked the end of Scottish football as we know it.

IF Hearts had won the flag it would have been the first time EVER the Old Firm had failed to win the league for 4 consecutive years. As it is it is now the longest period without a non Old Firm winner.

Souness came in at the end of the season at Rangers. Thus heralding the financial mess at Ibrox.

The wonderful 'it's only a game' documentaries were made at the end of that season and seem more alien than ever now.

#27 12august1893

12august1893

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 9,844 posts
  • 1,050 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:43 AM

Bump on 29th anniversary.

#28 farin

farin

The Heart & Soul of Edinburgh

• Paid Member
  • 3,452 posts
  • 65 topics
  • LocationClose enough to tynecastle.

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410336916.266896.jpg   57.29K   30 downloads

What should have been one of the greatest nights in Scottish football was turned into one of the saddest.

#29 LeBron James

LeBron James

Balla

• Paid Member_10
  • 7,049 posts
  • 429 topics
  • LocationEdinburgh

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

Watched the documentary about him on BBC Alba a couple of months ago. A true great of Scottish football.

Shame it ended in tragedy:

RIP Jock.

P.S. I wonder what might have become of Hibs had the Celtic job not become available.

#30 Thomaso

Thomaso

Squad Member

• Registered Users A
  • 1,140 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Locationbeyond the edge of reason

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

Irrespective of the fact that he managed Celtic, Stein was a class act.

One thing is for sure if he had still been around at Parkhead, Lennon, Stokes, Griffiths would never have got anywhere near his team.

#31 Sydney

Sydney

Shareholder, Donator, Supporter.

• Paid Member_10
  • 3,086 posts
  • 132 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Lennon was a decent player.

#32 3fingersreid

3fingersreid

• Paid Member
  • 2,504 posts
  • 102 topics
  • Locationall over Edinburgh and the Lothians

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Watched that game in the Luckies it was amazing how quickly the mood changed from absolute joy to shock and silence
Hard to believe it was that long ago

#33 thisismystorythisismysong

thisismystorythisismysong

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • 0 topics

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Nice touch starting this thread, great to see the big man remembered so fondly, he truly was one of the greatest to grace the game! It's absolutely abhorrent to think there are certain elements of so-called Scottish football fans who still to this day chant his name in false accusation of perhaps the worst label you could ever be branded.

#34 Thomaso

Thomaso

Squad Member

• Registered Users A
  • 1,140 posts
  • 11 topics
  • Locationbeyond the edge of reason

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostSydney, on 10 September 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Lennon was a decent player.

Lennon was a shit stirring little ned that caused bother on and off the park. Big Jock would not have put up with that.

#35 FORTHCLYDE

FORTHCLYDE

Season Ticket Holder

• Registered Users D
  • 947 posts
  • 40 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

What I remember about Jock Stein was he said he had to watch a player six times before he would sign him.
He would mark on a sheet of paper where the ball was during the game when he was spying.
He was also one of the first managers to ask the advice of coaches.
He had a way of talking to Referees to get them onside.
He was a great man.

Edited by FORTHCLYDE, 10 September 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#36 Tazio

Tazio

LocustAbortionTechnician

• Paid Member
  • 19,312 posts
  • 522 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostFORTHCLYDE, on 10 September 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

What I remember about Jock Stein was he said he had to watch a player six times before he would sign him.
He would mark on a sheet of paper where the ball was during the game when he was spying.
He was also one of the first managers to ask the advice of coaches.
He had a way of talking to Referees to get them onside.
He was a great man.

I watched a programme about him not so long ago and they said the most revolutionary thing he did when he took over at Celtic was introduce footballs at training! Previously they only trained with a ball on the morning of a match.

#37 CJGJ

CJGJ

Squad Member

• Paid Member
  • 8,929 posts
  • 574 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

I was there that night.

Amazing atmosphere on the terrace running alongside the pitch. Most were too busy concentrating on the match to realise what had happened and when outside in the city after the match news started to filter through what had happened it was a celebration that quickly turned into a sombre period of reflection.

#38 colinmaroon

colinmaroon

Season Ticket Holder

• Paid Member
  • 10,644 posts
  • 243 topics
  • LocationDumbarton

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

My brother and I knew something had happened but not the seriousness of it.  We headed back to our hotel where we had arranged to meet up with some  Welsh supporters.

It was only when we walked into the bar that we found out.

Our hotel was in Aberfan.

#39 Dinger Bell

Dinger Bell

Advanced Member

• Registered Users B
  • 85 posts
  • 4 topics
  • LocationAberdeen

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

I was watching the game at my then girlfriends house.Game over,job done and then headed for home.As I went Into the room my Father was In,I knew something was wrong and then he broke the news to me that Big Jock had died.It took a few minutes,before his words registered.A great man,coach/manager and run Celtic with dignity,unlike some that could be mentioned.

RIP Mr Stein

Edited by Dinger Bell, 10 September 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#40 farin

farin

The Heart & Soul of Edinburgh

• Paid Member
  • 3,452 posts
  • 65 topics
  • LocationClose enough to tynecastle.

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

Posted Image

Nice wee piece about jock.

#41 queensferryjambo

queensferryjambo

Squad Member

• Paid Member
  • 2,204 posts
  • 23 topics

Donator

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

It was a very sad day for Scotland and he really was a great man.

The one thing I remember vividly was watching the News and the Scotland fans were being interviewed after the game and I actually knew 2 of the guys who were interviewed. Both guys massive Scotland and Hearts fans to this day.

I actually found the very clip on youtube and it shows how shocked all the fans were.