Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

I don't think Bernie is his real name. My fiance knew him as Ian. They travelled on a full bus to QOS in the 70's and only 4 came back that night, rest in the cells !

I was on the Tranent bus to that game and we came back without any windows

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• The Gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

winniethedog

I'm sure every dog was called Billy... He worked in the tax office for a while. And dressed the same at work !!

Dug was called Rover

the general

Bernie.

Drank in the Penthouse at Tollcross.

Got thrown down the stairs on more than one occasion.

I saw him send his dog onto the pitch atParkhead once then ran on after it!

Christ knows how he got the dog into the ground!

Last time I saw him was two years ago outside Robbos in Gorgie Road.

usually drinks in The Station now iirc

the general

Great shout, surprised he hadn't surfaced on this thread already!

Grew up not far from him on Whitson Road and played street fitba for many a year before moving to Balerno. Naturally lost touch, until we crossed paths many years later one boltic midweek evening at Cappielow '78/79 season (if memory serves me correctly), in the bogs mixing Tizer and Vody...pre match refreshments! :)

Never met anyone as passionate and dedicated to the club as he was, don't think I ever will!

RIP wee man!

always think of him and folk like Davie Brunton when we are winning things

the thought of them looking down and smiling makes me feel warm inside

Neilson's Shank

See Bernie queuing up to get into work, every morning before 7, real name is Ian I belive, standard work attire summer is singlet, joggers and leather cowboy hat. For winter add denim jacket.

I understand that holidays are predictable as well, off to N Ireland for the 12th.

Never been close enough to give any details of the numerous tatoos

Neilson's Shank

always think of him and folk like Davie Brunton when we are winning things

the thought of them looking down and smiling makes me feel warm inside

went to Davie Brunton's memorial event last year totally different but totally Davy, PHM, great guy.

The Gasman

went to Davie Brunton's memorial event last year totally different but totally Davy, PHM, great guy.

A surreal afternoon, but a fitting tribute to him. :thumb:

Tams bird, on 25 May 2015 - 11:54 PM, said:

I don't think Bernie is his real name. My fiance knew him as Ian. They travelled on a full bus to QOS in the 70's and only 4 came back that night, rest in the cells !

I was in the 50th Edinburgh BB's with him - Bernard Anderson is his name - got a cracking picture of the BB's with Bernie when he was about 17. 

See Bernie queuing up to get into work, every morning before 7, real name is Ian I belive, standard work attire summer is singlet, joggers and leather cowboy hat. For winter add denim jacket.

I understand that holidays are predictable as well, off to N Ireland for the 12th.

Aye seen him at the bus stop this morning :)

I was a member from around late 1971 till I think 1976. Maybe you're Deeks?? ;-)

Nah not me

I will have to check London Hearts as my memories not as good as yours :) though it was probably during that time.

One game i remember was Aberdeen away on a Wednesday night as i had run up to Haymarket to catch the bus straight from school with my school gear and bag and chaping on my aunties door up town at 1.00am when we got back.

PsychocAndy

Nah not me

I will have to check London Hearts as my memories not as good as yours :) though it was probably during that time.

One game i remember was Aberdeen away on a Wednesday night as i had run up to Haymarket to catch the bus straight from school with my school gear and bag and chaping on my aunties door up town at 1.00am when we got back.

Bob Aitchy no have you in his office the next day to "tell you off" but get a summary of the match instead.[emoji12]

sent by my phone using an enhanced Stephen Hawking like voice

I was in the 50th Edinburgh BB's with him - Bernard Anderson is his name - got a cracking picture of the BB's with Bernie when he was about 17.

i was in the SameBB's his name was Ian Anderson. Stayed in Ashley terrace , across from craiglockhart ps.

Uncle Buck

I've heard of Bernie. Is he the big skinhead that wears Harringtons and Doc Martens and sits outside Pryde on Gorgie Road?

Bob Aitchy no have you in his office the next day to "tell you off" but get a summary of the match instead.[emoji12]

sent by my phone using an enhanced Stephen Hawking like voice

Aye , many times :)

A good telling off wi a wee knowing smile

I've heard of Bernie. Is he the big skinhead that wears Harringtons and Doc Martens and sits outside Pryde on Gorgie Road?

Does sit outside Prydes sometimes. But his hair is right down his back..

Hannibal Lecter

Here's Keith aka "the gorgie dancer".. Mad as a box of frogs but lives for hearts tbh.

dyqu9a6u.jpg

Sits not far from me & still wears the same outfit to every game

the general

think your thinking of the wrong person

WorldChampions1902

Sits not far from me & still wears the same outfit to every game

Didn't realise Gary McAllister was a ST holder (bottom right).

Fxxx the SPFL

Does sit outside Prydes sometimes. But his hair is right down his back..

He used to sit outside when it was Robbo's but he has silvery long hair, I think he now drinks at the Station Bar

punkrockcroc

He used to sit outside when it was Robbo's but he has silvery long hair, I think he now drinks at the Station Bar

Did he run a bus when Robbo's used to be known as the Green tree with a plaque on the back window saying "Gorgie sons of William"?

I had that photo as well , I am in it as well . Think officer was called Mini , need to find the picture again.

the big show

Did he run a bus when Robbo's used to be known as the Green tree with a plaque on the back window saying "Gorgie sons of William"?

i remember him too running that bus . he is known too go to a lot of the marches as well which fits in with part name of the bus .

Guest Bilel Mohsni

"Characters", eh? A word which covers a lot of different bases by the look of it. Mind that guy who flung himself down the stairs and tried to sue Hearts because he was enraged about a spilt coffee?

Buffalo Bill

Another character not mentioned yet was 'Fuzzy' who ran the Cross Keys/Saughton Hearts bus.

Very good guy, really funny and slightly mad, and looked a bit like Albert Einstein.

Whenever you called his house looking for either a ticket or a seat on the bus, his wife would answer the phone and shout "ALLAAAAANNNNN!!!!".

This became a bit of an in-joke with our group, whenever there was a quiet moment, someone would always shout "ALLAAAAAANNNN!!!!" :D *

*had to be there, I guess

winniethedog

winniethedog

I was in the 50th as well. His name is Ian Anderson though. He got the nickname Bernie as he looked like Bernie Winters.

I'm probably in the photo as well!!

winniethedog

i was in the SameBB's his name was Ian Anderson. Stayed in Ashley terrace , across from craiglockhart ps.

The Gasman

Another character not mentioned yet was 'Fuzzy' who ran the Cross Keys/Saughton Hearts bus.

Very good guy, really funny and slightly mad, and looked a bit like Albert Einstein.

Whenever you called his house looking for either a ticket or a seat on the bus, his wife would answer the phone and shout "ALLAAAAANNNNN!!!!".

This became a bit of an in-joke with our group, whenever there was a quiet moment, someone would always shout "ALLAAAAAANNNN!!!!" :D *

I think he died a few year back BB. :(

Buffalo Bill

I think he died a few year back BB. :(

Aw man, what a shame. Good guy, Fuzzy :(

Toxteth O'Grady

Revenue at Sighthill?

winniethedog

I had that photo as well , I am in it as well . Think officer was called Mini , need to find the picture again.

winniethedog

Mini Munro who sadly is no longer with us Edited by winniethedog

winniethedog

Yes

winniethedog

Drill Cup winning photo?

The White Cockade

Charlie Broon on the Ace of Hearts buses. What a character and of course Larry

Larry?

the general

Drill Cup winning photo?

67th Boys Brigade from St Aidens Stenhouse  were the smartest and hardest company FACT

:-)

the general

great guy

Fxxx the SPFL

From the shed days can anybody mind the old couple that used to stand right at the front she had pure white hair and always wore a maroon jacket and skirt they seemed to be in the shed for years.

winniethedog

67th Boys Brigade from St Aidens Stenhouse  were the smartest and hardest company FACT

Who?

50th rool ya bass  :thumbs_up:

3fingersreid

You were the girls brigade were you not ? 50th brigade were untouchable ;)

punkrockcroc

There was always a group of guys who stood at the old wooden pie hut at the end of the she who called themselves "the Saville travel". Can't imagine anybody calling themselves that these days, unless their on a death wish.

the general

You were the girls brigade were you not ? 50th brigade were untouchable ;)

aye for obvious reasons :-)

the general

There was always a group of guys who stood at the old wooden pie hut at the end of the she who called themselves "the Saville travel". Can't imagine anybody calling themselves that these days, unless their on a death wish.

now the P5L

platform 5 loyal