Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

Drylaw Hearts

Not wanting to sound patronising but you can see with a few of these people that Hearts and going to the games are their lives. Wee knobs like Templeton should remember that before they start their pish.

David Templeton is simply a footballer doing a job for whoever pays his wages. We are team that he had no affection for prior to joining.

You cannot expect him to take into consideration what a guy of the street feels or thinks when he decides his next career move.

Edited by Drylaw Hearts

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• The Gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Broxburn Jambo

Mr Maltman used to sell the hearts lottery tickets and he was indeed from Currie

If it is the same man he is my next door neighbour

he is a good lad still see him in Dalry

he used to collect the glasses in The Last Furlong

People getting their Jimmy's mixed up

Daft jimmy played the air drums at Eric browns and murrayfield ice rink

Jimmy lightbulb collected glasses in Westfield /last furlong as well as thanking everyone at the end of the evening for coming to his do

Nelly Terraces

He used to hang around Eric Browns in the 80's, and play the drums with his invisible drum sticks.

Anybody remember another legend called peely from East Craigs.

I remember the lightbulb, quality geezer from back in the 80's. Came on a the Manor a few times. Total headcase. :thumbsup:

I'm Louie, been following Hearts fir years, stay in near musselburgh with my mum and brother and drink in the wiremill

Seen you at games all over the country since the days in Div1 in the 80's mate, yer a total legend!! :thumbsup:

Who mention Bernie and his dug? The 1st one was called Rover, I mind him wi it at Darkheid once and he let it loose, it was on the track, wild scenes, we were totally out of control back then.

Anyone mind the punk back in the early 80's wi the HUGE spikes, looked like the gadge fae punk band GBH? Superb barnet.

Was there those blue 3 wheeler disabled cars at Tynecastle in the 80s or am I imagining that?

Used to get them at Darkheid and Ipox mate, can't mind seeing any at Tynie.

Great thread this, it's what going to see Hearts is all about for me. The best times going to games was in Div 1 , we were pish, but the support was mental, and had plenty characters.

Edited by Nelly Terraces

Karate Keith (never heard him referred to as this before), aka the Wheatfield/Gorgie Dancer - me and my pals know him as 'Glovesie' on account of the leather gloves he used to wear in the early 90's. A living legend amongst my crowd for his energetic warm up routines. He's relocated to the bottom of Section A and i have a grandstand view of him from my seat in the Gorgie. I will say one thing and i mean no disrespect - i would not like to sit next to Keith. But still, totally harmless and Hearts to the bone.

The deaf guy(s). Used to drink in the Ardmillan and sat behind me in the School End when it was first built. Totally radge and by far the loudest people in the ground. I remember one game against Red Star Belgrade when one of them was particularly excitable. Always got the impression the one with the moustache was quite hard despite him looking a wee bit like a Parisian homesexual.

The Monkees. Broomhouse Boys. We used to get a chase off the (big?) brother when we were younger by singing 'Hey Hey it's the Monkees'. The mother in the wheelchair was an absolute lunatic and she used to leather the laddies. They still go about and weirdly enough i see them a lot in Glasgow where i suspect they are either begging or scamming.

Jesus - Louie from Musselburgh as above. We used to call him 'Moses'. For some reason we used to always see him in Dundee. The 4-4 LC game sticks out for some reason.

There is a zoomer in the bottom of section A who may fit that description. Wears a pony jacket with maroon trousers. Is up and down like a ******* yo-yo. Forever adjusting his sleeves, trousers, scarf etc. His hand signals are amazing to watch. Complete nut job though!

Me and my lad noticed him too, he had a camera round his neck at the dundee game, maybe he used to be in the signals unit :woot:, but quite funny to watch, shame.:508:

No mate, the bloke I'm talking about was the late Charlie Balnieves.

Must have got our threads crossed Gasman, I remember Fat Boab aka Crawler, I think his name was Colin Blackwood but something tells me it was Graham, not sure!

Fat Boab did sell programmes beside the bank at the entrance to the Gorgie stand, he also used to wear a suit and trainers. Sadly he died a few years ago similar circumstances to Charlie Balnieves.

Boab was a member of the Manor Branch in the 70's and scary enough he too was a big Edinburgh Monarchs fan. The similarities of the two guys are uncanny! Perhaps you can understand how I picked you up wrong!

Anyone mind the punk back in the early 80's wi the HUGE spikes, looked like the gadge fae punk band GBH? Superb barnet.

Remember him well used to see him at concerts came from west Lothian boy at college knew him . Anyone remember a guy who looked like Freddie Starr mid 80's .

weaversknowe jambo

If it is the same man he is my next door neighbour

if your Username is anything to go by, that's definitely him. He moved out to Broxburn years back.

Think the Mussleburgh guy is called Louie???

Thats right, his name is Louie Mathews, was in the same year at school and wisnae a bad football player. Sometimes notice him on Musselburgh high street. Wouldnae harm a fly.

Think his name was Colin Blackwood aka "Fat Bob" from Blackhall

The guy I mean was some sort of Jambo historian - that the same guy?

Used to wear a suit.

Always saw him about Kwikfit in Blackhall way

John Montgomery

Must have got our threads crossed Gasman, I remember Fat Boab aka Crawler, I think his name was Colin Blackwood but something tells me it was Graham, not sure!

Fat Boab did sell programmes beside the bank at the entrance to the Gorgie stand, he also used to wear a suit and trainers. Sadly he died a few years ago similar circumstances to Charlie Balnieves.

Boab was a member of the Manor Branch in the 70's and scary enough he too was a big Edinburgh Monarchs fan. The similarities of the two guys are uncanny! Perhaps you can understand how I picked you up wrong!

Never knew him as "Fat Boab" but Gasman would know Graham Blackwood. If you're talking about the same one he co-wrote The Pictorial History of Hearts with David Speed and Bill Smith in 1984. He may have written others as well but I have no time to check. Charlie Balneaves was from Musselburgh originally and for some reason I don't think he travelled with Manor.

I was trying not to post this but I would not advise anyone to believe the poster who said he is Louie. I'm 99% certain you'll find out he is not. He obviously knows (or rather knew (or knew of) Louie)but a couple of his facts are sadly out of date.

Used to wear a suit.

Sure you will be thinking of Graham Blackwood.

Used to wear a suit.

A suit with trainers! Sold programmes outside the bank at the entrance to the Gorgie Stand. Yes he was pretty knowledgeable about Hearts history, used to do quizzes on the Manor bus if memory serves me well. Was a pal of Davy Speed who is/was Hearts official historian i believe!

You must be ages with me Jambovambo!

HamishMcGonagall

there used to be a big guy who was seen at nearly every match, home or away and he looked as though he was an albino.

White hair, very fair skin, and pink eyes. Anyone else remember him

aye, think his name's mcglynn, john mcglynn...

(thts prob a joke to myself cos i used to think he was an albino yrs ago when he was first on the coaching team at hearts.. think it was the glasses, 2 albino kids at school used to wear the same type)

Another guy I remember called himself Wily Boo after Ricardo Fuller, not that long ago but he used to sit in Section B Wheatfield lower with his two wee boys and swear all game, got lifted once by L&B's finest and small problem of sorting out what happens to the kids arose!

Never knew him as "Fat Boab" but Gasman would know Graham Blackwood. If you're talking about the same one he co-wrote The Pictorial History of Hearts with David Speed and Bill Smith in 1984. He may have written others as well but I have no time to check. Charlie Balneaves was from Musselburgh originally and for some reason I don't think he travelled with Manor.

I was trying not to post this but I would not advise anyone to believe the poster who said he is Louie. I'm 99% certain you'll find out he is not. He obviously knows (or rather knew (or knew of) Louie)but a couple of his facts are sadly out of date.

Yes it sounds like the same guy,"Fat Boab" and "Crawler" were the two names I remember him by! I was a member of the Manor Branch for many years in the 70's. I know Davy Speed well, we went to Boroughmuir together, good Jambo who probably knows more of Hearts history than anyone!

Probably not the flavour of the mon after Sunday, but there's a certain boy frome Paisley who's been Hearts daft for over 30 years. His antics are legendary and he won us a trophy,

Was in the B Bs with Charlie, also the camps in out teens, a great guy and new him from the Wimpies in Musselburgh, RIP Charlie,

I think I saw them (pushing the mother in a wheelchair) today on Gorgie Road today.

I always used to see them about Stenhouse cross or thereabouts.

Yes it sounds like the same guy,"Fat Boab" and "Crawler" were the two names I remember him by! I was a member of the Manor Branch for many years in the 70's. I know Davy Speed well, we went to Boroughmuir together, good Jambo who probably knows more of Hearts history than anyone!

Yes, that was Graham Blackwood. Another one who lived for the Club. I've got the"Pictorial History of Hearts" (plenty autographs) he co-wrote with David Speed and Bill Smith. I was a member of Manor with him from the 60s to early 70s.

IIRC,we shared our 1st hearts game - Tarff Rovers in the Cup. (B?gger - must be getting old!)

Yes, that was Graham Blackwood. Another one who lived for the Club. I've got the"Pictorial History of Hearts" (plenty autographs) he co-wrote with David Speed and Bill Smith. I was a member of Manor with him from the 60s to early 70s.

IIRC,we shared our 1st hearts game - Tarff Rovers in the Cup. (B?gger - must be getting old!)

Make that very old - 28th January 1961 - 9 nil to the famous! :whistling:

My Dad is good pals with Wattie Buchan from the punk gigs. Don't know if he gets to as many games as he used to but is still often seen kicking about in the Gorgie/Dalry area.

Karate Keith/Gorgie Dancer is an absolute legend. Heard some of the stories though about how he gets some stick from travelling supporters which is pretty disgraceful. Stays in the Craigmillar area somewhere. Got on the same bus as me and the bird after the derby at Tynie last season. Kept going on about how nice hearty pies were so is now known to me as Hearty Pie. On said journey he also kept threatening to throw some boy off the bus everytime he swore. :lol: Got on my bus once too up the town on a week day, still wearing a Hearts scarf and singing the Hearts song the whole journey. Boy loves the club.

Wee Mandy is a funny wee woman. Total gobsh*te but completely harmless. Always tells me after we lose that she's no coming back for a while. Mind you I rarely see her at the games anymore. Haven't seen her in a while to be honest but seen the big guy she hangs about with all over town.

Although I only got to meet the guy a few short times I have to say I miss wee Sinky. My mate used to go on the same bus as him to a lot of away games a few years back and some of the stories he had to tell were genius. If only the wee man was alive to see the cup final.

One guy I always remember from when I had my first season ticket in lower Main Stand below section T, is quite a short guy with dark spiky hair. Not really a distinguishing guy, but some of the things he used to shout at opposing players were hilarious. Still sits there right down the very front. Drives the buses with Lothian. Remember talking to him after the cup final on the Saturday night in Gorgie. Naturally we were both reeking but I mind him trying to tell me the overtime rate for driving the parade bus was ?19.02. :lol:

Aye, fair to say, we've had some wacky and wonderful characters grace the terraces.

Probably not the flavour of the mon after Sunday, but there's a certain boy frome Paisley who's been Hearts daft for over 30 years. His antics are legendary and he won us a trophy,

I spoke to Craigie on Sunday night and he was utterly distraught about the situation. He said the GFA were on his case after gifting us the final and he was going to get the axe if he displayed even the slightest hint of bias towards his beloved. He wanted to make sure this didn't happen in case he got the opportunity to referee another big game against Hibs. It was a case of inflicting a small amount of hurt now in a fairly meaningless game against Dundee so that he can potentially give us so much joy again at a later date.

.....Karate Keith/Gorgie Dancer is an absolute legend. Heard some of the stories though about how he gets some stick from travelling supporters which is pretty disgraceful. Stays in the Craigmillar area somewhere.....

That would make sense, as the earlier photo of him, shows him next to a couple of guys from Craigmillar Hearts. :thumb:

Make that very old - 28th January 1961 - 9 nil to the famous! :whistling:

Can I just point out, for the record, that I am waaaay younger than most of you guys...! :huh:

I know the bus driver chap you're talking about as I sat in Section T from 2004-2010. Sat next to him once or twice during away games. During the 05/06 season he would regularly go to the bog and miss a goal :lol: became a bit of a joke between everyone after that when he would go to the bog. Billy or Willie I think his name is.

My Dad is good pals with Wattie Buchan from the punk gigs. Don't know if he gets to as many games as he used to but is still often seen kicking about in the Gorgie/Dalry area.

Karate Keith/Gorgie Dancer is an absolute legend. Heard some of the stories though about how he gets some stick from travelling supporters which is pretty disgraceful. Stays in the Craigmillar area somewhere. Got on the same bus as me and the bird after the derby at Tynie last season. Kept going on about how nice hearty pies were so is now known to me as Hearty Pie. On said journey he also kept threatening to throw some boy off the bus everytime he swore. :lol: Got on my bus once too up the town on a week day, still wearing a Hearts scarf and singing the Hearts song the whole journey. Boy loves the club.

Wee Mandy is a funny wee woman. Total gobsh*te but completely harmless. Always tells me after we lose that she's no coming back for a while. Mind you I rarely see her at the games anymore. Haven't seen her in a while to be honest but seen the big guy she hangs about with all over town.

Although I only got to meet the guy a few short times I have to say I miss wee Sinky. My mate used to go on the same bus as him to a lot of away games a few years back and some of the stories he had to tell were genius. If only the wee man was alive to see the cup final.

One guy I always remember from when I had my first season ticket in lower Main Stand below section T, is quite a short guy with dark spiky hair. Not really a distinguishing guy, but some of the things he used to shout at opposing players were hilarious. Still sits there right down the very front. Drives the buses with Lothian. Remember talking to him after the cup final on the Saturday night in Gorgie. Naturally we were both reeking but I mind him trying to tell me the overtime rate for driving the parade bus was ?19.02. :lol:

Aye, fair to say, we've had some wacky and wonderful characters grace the terraces.

Edited by Jambo Ell

How about Big George from Blackburn? Ran a bus from there too.

Many good memories, particularly an away trip to Aberdeen on the Linlithgow bus. George nearly tipped it on the motorway while having a massive chunder Mr Creosote style laugh.gif

They used to sit on the walkway in front of me in the wheatfield and you wouldn't believe the abuse they took from fellow fans each game they used to get a steward stand with the before the game started .

It was disgusting, no need for it.

Some of the comments on here are cringeworthy btw.

I know the bus driver chap you're talking about as I sat in Section T from 2004-2010. Sat next to him once or twice during away games. During the 05/06 season he would regularly go to the bog and miss a goal :lol: became a bit of a joke between everyone after that when he would go to the bog. Billy or Willie I think his name is.

I'm sure it's Billy. Sat about 3 rows behind him during the 2008-09 season and then moved into the same row as him the following season albeit a fair few seats further down. Could still hear him shouting away though. :thumbsup:

Wee Mandy :rofl:

She's a funny wee lady. Is she not married to a guy called Fred or something? You know, a simpleton couple. She's been on my bus a few times and just chats away to you. She asked me something like "So is it turkey or chicken for Christmas dinner this year?" :lol:

Legend.

I'm sure it's Billy. Sat about 3 rows behind him during the 2008-09 season and then moved into the same row as him the following season albeit a fair few seats further down. Could still hear him shouting away though. :thumbsup:

You must have sat fairly close to me as I was about 4 or 5 rows behind him too. I sat next to two older gents towards the end of the row, in line with the 18 yard line roughly.

Doctor FinnBarr

How about Big George from Blackburn? Ran a bus from there too.

Many good memories, particularly an away trip to Aberdeen on the Linlithgow bus. George nearly tipped it on the motorway while having a massive chunder Mr Creosote style laugh.gif

Good guy is George, saw him today.

turned.gif

You must have sat fairly close to me as I was about 4 or 5 rows behind him too. I sat next to two older gents towards the end of the row, in line with the 18 yard line roughly.

Think I may know roughly who you are talking about. I used to sit right next to an older guy who went with his son. His son was about mid to late 20's.

Can anyone remember big Billy Veal from Tranent?

The nice quiet guy to have a drink and completely changed at the game shouting and going crazy if so yes what a guy :thumbsup:

Billy Veal was a year older than me at Ross High wee timid guy who went completely nuts at games.think he got lifted a few times and mibby banned for a while.Used to wear his auld mans zip up cardigan with a snowflake pattern on it.Pretty sure he lost his big toe in an accident.Loved it when he turned on whoever was standing near him.Radge

I remember Louie from the seventies on the mussy bus.think he had a brother who went to games.still got the same gear on.good lad tho

Good guy is George, saw him today.

turned.gif

Pleased to hear that Biker - how is he these days? I was a schoolboy when I got the Blackburn bus, so he must be getting on now. Guid lad thumbsup.gif

Doctor FinnBarr

Pleased to hear that Biker - how is he these days? I was a schoolboy when I got the Blackburn bus, so he must be getting on now. Guid lad thumbsup.gif

Looking very lean nowadays

thumbsup.gif

Can I just point out, for the record, that I am waaaay younger than most of you guys...! :huh:

At least some of us have seen Hearts scoring 9!:P

Billy the Jambo

Billy Veal was a year older than me at Ross High wee timid guy who went completely nuts at games.think he got lifted a few times and mibby banned for a while.Used to wear his auld mans zip up cardigan with a snowflake pattern on it.Pretty sure he lost his big toe in an accident.Loved it when he turned on whoever was standing near him.Radge

I remember Louie from the seventies on the mussy bus.think he had a brother who went to games.still got the same gear on.good lad tho

I am billy veal i am just trying to think who you are .You are right about me losing big toe but no way would i wear my dads cardigan especially one with snowflakes on it.Anyway PM me as i am wondering who you are

Was chatting to some auld mates about when we were younger and we used to go to Tynecastle when the shed was there.

There were a few characters that used to turn up week in week out and stand roughly at the same place in the corner under the old shed.

You may know a few of them...

"King Rib" an older guy with whiskers that always turned up eating a king rib supper. Still goes to Tynecastle.

"Ace of Hearts" a mixed race guy with black curly hair and he wears a tied scarf with an ace of hearts badge sew on it. I think he's from Musselburgh.

"TTF" (stands for The True Fen..n) as when the support sang the "hello hello" song he used to go mental and shout "get to Ibrox if you want to sing that".

"Bad Blow" as in bad blow for society. A skinny studenty type guy with greasy hair hanging like curtains round his face and he always wore an inspiral carpets Tshirt that said "moo" on it.

"Joe Elliot" just because he looked like the singer from Def Leppard

Many others....good times!

Anyone remember any others?

hi i was in the manor hearts since the sixties 1966 was my first year.. i seen many funny and strange people in the club.. graham blackwood was there when i first went..he lived in drylaw worked for the bank .had the biggest hmfc programme collection ever 30s.40s, etc. he was like many of us good friends with davie speedie speed ..i dont think crawler ever sold programmes, it was one of crawlers mates tall lad red hair handlebar moustache a big monarchs fan..we had tiny.mad as hell, auld shagger sinclair, gordon cowe . etc.. the manor branch was undoubtably the most famous hearts supporters club ever,, does anybody remember colin brookes bus conviener for a few years.. sadly not with us anymore..gorgie rules....

Those monkey twins were on a Trisha/Jeremy Kyle programme a few years back now over a fall out with a third brother. Must've needed subtitles!

Mind seeing one of them pushing the mother in the wheelchair up town and as he's struggling to get her on the bus from the kerb, she eventually gets so fed up she starts swearing, gets up, folds her chair and gets on herself!

This thread is becoming like an old episode of Scooby Doo when everyone reveals their real identity at the end. :ninja:

Its good hearing that Karate Keith/Gorgie Dancer are still alive and kicking though, remember him from my days in the enclosure at the bottom of the main stand.