Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

Lots of tattoos Lynn, used to always be in Robertsons though I've seen him outside the Station Bar recently as well. I'm sure there was a thread on here some time ago about Bernie and his dogs, some amusing stories in there!

I'm sure every dog was called Billy... He worked in the tax office for a while. And dressed the same at work !!

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• The Gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two brothers ... probably the older one (with dark thick hair and shorter) now in his late fifties/early sixties, the other completely bald (not quite Collina-esque but pretty close), now likely in his fifties. They went to all matches, home & away throughout my time following Hearts (1982-96). Great lads.

First took me under their wings on a brilliant trip up to Aberdeen circa '86 with Clermiston Hearts. Went on that bus often after that ... plenty of good times. :thumbsup:

Edited by ArcticJambo

Sexton Hardcastle

There's this wee woman who always goes to games alone wearing full Hearts trackies, backpack and cap. Anyone know who I mean?

Creepy firing in :jjyay:

I'm sure her name was Louise.

Hung about outside the Gorgie stand with the massive programme selling bloke.

Horatio Caine

there used to be a big guy who was seen at nearly every match, home or away and he looked as though he was an albino.

White hair, very fair skin, and pink eyes. Anyone else remember him

I'm sure her name was Louise.

Hung about outside the Gorgie stand with the massive programme selling bloke.

She matches the descripition of a lady called Mandy, she has a felly called Fred who is another character who used to the sell the programmes, sure he spoke with a lispe. I often see them round about the Southside area. Fred always seems to be going daft at Mandy for one reason or another.

I seem to remember a slightly chubby punk with a Mohican in the shed and a massive bloke with a dug who growled at everyone (the dug did too sometimes).

I'm guessing the first guy you're referring to is Wattie Buchan of The Exploited, but I'm not sure about the "slightly chubby" bit of the description. Assuming it is him, he still goes to games, and I last saw him, I think, at the Scottish Cup Semj-Final at Hampden.

The second guy is Big Bernie, who certainly used to drink in the Green Tree / Billy's Bar / Robertsons, but I think he now drinks in the Station Bar. Bernie has had several dogs over the years (all border collies IIRC) and all called Billy, after a favourite King of his.

there used to be a big guy who was seen at nearly every match, home or away and he looked as though he was an albino.

White hair, very fair skin, and pink eyes. Anyone else remember him

Vaguely, but yes, now you mention it, I think I do remember him... :unsure:

There was a slim small framed skin/punk that went to the Shed, and most away games too during the eighties ... probably in his late teens very early twenties. Wasn't particularly scary, still, he sticks in the mind.

Didn't the boy Jesus/Rasputin/Louie always wear a home-made or C & A maroon & white jumper or cardigan - Classic garb. :thumbsup:

There was a slim small framed skin/punk that went to the Shed, and most away games too during the eighties ... probably in his late teens very early twenties. Wasn't particularly scary, still, he sticks in the mind.

Didn't the boy Jesus/Rasputin/Louie always wear a home-made or C & A maroon & white jumper or cardigan - Classic garb. :thumbsup:

Think he still does :lol:

There was the really fat bloke who used to sell programs but I think I read that he'd passed away as well ( RIP ).

As well as following Hearts all over, he was also a keen fan of Edinburgh Monarchs (speedway) and followed them. His size was due to a medical condition, and sadly he did indeed pass away a few years back as a result of that. :sad:

I'm guessing the first guy you're referring to is Wattie Buchan of The Exploited, but I'm not sure about the "slightly chubby" bit of the description. Assuming it is him, he still goes to games, and I last saw him, I think, at the Scottish Cup Semj-Final at Hampden.

The second guy is Big Bernie, who certainly used to drink in the Green Tree / Billy's Bar / Robertsons, but I think he now drinks in the Station Bar. Bernie has had several dogs over the years (all border collies IIRC) and all called Billy, after a favourite King of his.

While I remember Wattie, could this guy be John Duncan, also originally with the Exploited and later Goodbye Mr Mackenzie?

The deaf guy in the 1980s, who when shouting, had a voice like a dog whistle.

He mostly sat on the long plastic benches, but you'd hear him at away matches too.

Strangely, I never did see his face.

Maybe it was all in my head?

I do remember that guy. Some of the younger lads used to laugh at him but the older guys would keep them in check.

Doctor FinnBarr

Was there those blue 3 wheeler disabled cars at Tynecastle in the 80s or am I imagining that?

Not sure there was ever any of those at Tynecastle

ninja.gif

ninja.gif

Except when the dribblies from the west came to town ... possibly in the corner wear the police control tower is now. (or am I too imagining).

ninja.gif

I used to see the disabled guys riding them when i was on dinner break at the school. Just outside where the shop is now.

A guy we used to call "the fat man from Blackhall" ...

In the 70s, the two deaf guys who used to shout the odds at players, in their own way.

Alan "Squarey" Squair, fae YMD.

The fat man from Blackhall was probably "Fat Bob" from the Manor Branch, used to go to all the matches home and away sadly he died a few years back, there was another lad "Tiny", big fella always wore an American combat jacket seemed to always be with Bob.

The Manor Branch! Brings back memories - not very good ones on the footballing front though but still memories!

possibly in the corner wear the police control tower is now. (or am I too imagining).

Thats how I remember it, but like the rest of you i'm not 100% sure.

The White Cockade

As well as following Hearts all over, he was also a keen fan of Edinburgh Monarchs (speedway) and followed them. His size was due to a medical condition, and sadly he did indeed pass away a few years back as a result of that. :sad:

Big Charlie Balneaves

Worked at St Cuthberts/Co Op at Surgeons Hall years back

Remember the deaf boys too - you heard them but never saw them!

Karate Keith has been going to Tynie for donkeys years

Remember him in the days of the benches at the Shed

Old Agnes went on our bus for years and there was the guy who shouted "lottery tickets!" just inside the

turnstiles for years

Crawler Graham Blackwood was another one who went to games for year always wearing a suit with a pair of trainers

Agnes. Passed away a few years ago. Never missed a game.

Was she from up Currie way? Lovely lady if it's who I think she was.

The programme seller, I think, was also from Currie: Mr Maltman.

He mostly sat on the long plastic benches, but you'd hear him at away matches too.

Is this the guy Bill

Beaker.jpg

Never known the Gorgie Dancer to be called Karate Keith, tbh.

As for characters. Do the monkey twins still go to games? Both used to sell Evening News' on Princes Street and as I recall went to games with their old dear.

Also, the "couple" that go to a lot of games that are a little simple. She was short with dark hair in a 90's curtains style and he was a bit older and not as simple as he made out. ;)

weaversknowe jambo

The programme seller, I think, was also from Currie: Mr Maltman.

Mr Maltman used to sell the hearts lottery tickets and he was indeed from Currie

Was there those blue 3 wheeler disabled cars at Tynecastle in the 80s or am I imagining that?

I think we had one or 2 of them...

Parkheid was the place for them. Hundreds of them. Says a lot really. Mind you, just look at the front row of that place next time they have a game on tv. They've not changed...

Talkofthetoon1874

She matches the descripition of a lady called Mandy, she has a felly called Fred who is another character who used to the sell the programmes, sure he spoke with a lispe. I often see them round about the Southside area. Fred always seems to be going daft at Mandy for one reason or another.

Sounds like Mandy, always in the Hearts shop and not satisfied until she gets every player who walks through the doors of Tynecastle?s autograph. She gets her boyfriend to get her the autographs after the games.

Edited by Talkofthetoon1874

As for characters. Do the monkey twins still go to games? Both used to sell Evening News' on Princes Street and as I recall went to games with their old dear.

Also, the "couple" that go to a lot of games that are a little simple. She was short with dark hair in a 90's curtains style and he was a bit older and not as simple as he made out. ;)

That has made my day :lol:

Brought back the memories of going up toon on a Friday after school with my mates. I didn't realise other people also called them that :lol::lol::lol:

How I miss Edinburgh at times...

If its the lady I think it is I met her in Salou a couple of years ago. I had a hearts polo shirt on and she asked if I was at the game the previous week turns out she was staying at the same hotel. So we sat and watched soccer saturday. We got beat of killie at tynecastle :(

Talkofthetoon1874

Was chatting to some auld mates about when we were younger and we used to go to Tynecastle when the shed was there.

There were a few characters that used to turn up week in week out and stand roughly at the same place in the corner under the old shed.

You may know a few of them...

"King Rib" an older guy with whiskers that always turned up eating a king rib supper. Still goes to Tynecastle.

"Ace of Hearts" a mixed race guy with black curly hair and he wears a tied scarf with an ace of hearts badge sew on it. I think he's from Musselburgh.

"TTF" (stands for The True Fen..n) as when the support sang the "hello hello" song he used to go mental and shout "get to Ibrox if you want to sing that".

"Bad Blow" as in bad blow for society. A skinny studenty type guy with greasy hair hanging like curtains round his face and he always wore an inspiral carpets Tshirt that said "moo" on it.

"Joe Elliot" just because he looked like the singer from Def Leppard

Many others....good times!

Anyone remember any others?

I remember "Ace of Hearts" we all nicknamed him Jesus and also "TTF" who would make a quick escape from the games when we were playing celtic

Edited by Talkofthetoon1874

Think his name was Colin Blackwood aka "Fat Bob" from Blackhall

Yes, they used to park them beside Section N

winston churchill

Think his name was Colin Blackwood aka "Fat Bob" from Blackhall

Was crawler/fat Boab not the same person?

Sold the programes beside the TSB bank at the Gorgie Road end,and went on the Mental Manor bus in a suit.

Remember Jimmy Lightbulb met him in Locarno snooker centre one night told me he had a hard time with fans taking the pesh out of him and had a few kickings also. The days of the terrace was best for mutters you could stand near them and watch them go mental .

he is a good lad still see him in Dalry

he used to collect the glasses in The Last Furlong

travelled on Longstone bus his laddies were hard as nails

Was crawler/fat Boab not the same person?

Sold the programes beside the TSB bank at the Gorgie Road end,and went on the Mental Manor bus in a suit.

Yes, that was him! :thumbsup:

Malinga the Swinga

I had a seasn ticket next to him for a few years and he was always extremely polite and quite friendly to all who sat next to him. He did terrify people at first though, but just shows you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

Not wanting to sound patronising but you can see with a few of these people that Hearts and going to the games are their lives. Wee knobs like Templeton should remember that before they start their pish.

I remember the Manor hearts well as I travelled with them 1972-74 hair raisng trips to Ibrox & darkheid in these days. As I recall a guy caled Colin the postie used to fund raise for Manor hearts in these days.Made the mistake of taking a new girlfriend along on one trip, never saw her again after that...funny that, women eh!

Edited by argyjambo

I remember them. Were they not brothers ?

They travelled to Munich with us in 89. They were great company and a right good laugh. They were drinking the non alcoholic lager they sold at the stadium and were getting drunker by the litre. :lol:

I'm Louie, been following Hearts fir years, stay in near musselburgh with my mum and brother and drink in the wiremill

Ha. You sir have made my night!

I remember the Manor hearts well as I travelled with them 1972-74 hair raisng trips to Ibrox & darkheid in these days. As I recall a guy caled Colin the postie used to fund raise for Manor hearts in these days.Made the mistake of taking a new girlfriend along on one trip, never saw her again after that...funny that, women eh!

travelled on the pivot with my dad in the seventies and myself when reached drinking age(16) some characters on that bus!!

:D

Not wanting to sound patronising but you can see with a few of these people that Hearts and going to the games are their lives. Wee knobs like Templeton should remember that before they start their pish.

Very true, well said that man.

Seymour M Hersh

I think I saw them (pushing the mother in a wheelchair) today on Gorgie Road today.

The Wrinkly Ninja

:lol:

Just spat oot ma tea!!

Probably on the very same bus mate, with "Fat Boab" and the likes, scary times!

Hearts is in the blood, no time for glory hunters, the seventies were horrible times as a Hearts fan, we had a very bad reputation especially at away games, had only seen us lift the wee cup in 62/63 before beating Cheats Co in 1998. Used to go to every game home and away from about 1963 until late 1970's, but now a bit more choosy!

Now the away European games are the biggest draw, with the exception of that famous day in May! :thumbsup:

I think I saw them (pushing the mother in a wheelchair) today on Gorgie Road today.

They used to sit on the walkway in front of me in the wheatfield and you wouldn't believe the abuse they took from fellow fans each game they used to get a steward stand with the before the game started .