The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

Hugh Keevins is not a journalist. He doesn't investigate anything, he just writes down populist rubbish.

Like many other so called Scottish journalists he just panders to his paper buying masses and writes a load wishful thinking tripe.

The whole profession of football journalism in Scotland is a joke.

and if it were not for this thread, I would know next to ****-all of what has been going on.

TriggersBroom

Possibly a daft question BUT, how many TRFC shirts are sold annually ? I'd guesstimate at 25k to 30k. The profit i'd guesstimate at around the ?15 mark per polo/ football shirt. My sums make his profit roughly ?450k per season. How long is his contract?

I don't know about current figures but I would have thought it to be above 30k shirts.

Here's a quote from Rangers 2003 accounts.

"Retail business was an undoubted success story last year. Sales totalled ?19.2m, which represents a very significant 63% increase on the previous year, and confirms the Club`s merchandise operation as top 2 in the U.K., and top 5 in Europe. This increase follows a 22% increase in the previous year.

Replica kit sales peaked at over 429,000 shirts in 2002/03. This is the Club`s highest ever annual sale of first team shirts, and underlines the fact that the initiative we took to manufacture and distribute our own replica kit is paying immediate dividends. "

http://www.isdx.com/...rangers2003.pdf

It won't be anything near that number nowadays, but I'd expect it to be more than 30k.

Edited by TriggersBroom

Toxteth O'Grady

and if it were not for this thread, I would know next to ****-all of what has been going on.

"Internet bampots" > succulent lamb munchers.

By The Light..

What if MA has maybe done all he can do with Newcastle and decided there is no chance of champions league football but enjoyed the ride and learned enough form it so now starting what could be lot easier route to regular CL football by taking control of TRFC?

Not what any of us want to see but a dominant TRFC for years to come...

jamboinglasgow

Hugh Keevins says any Sfa decision to stop Mike Ashley taking over The Rangers franchise would be a "bullet to the head of Scottish football" ..

Still peddling the myth that we need them & it'll be armageddon if they don't get rules circumvented to facilitate them..

And if it doesn't go well for Rangers and is a nightmare for Rangers, he will moan that the SFA didn't do enough to stop this Ashley. Just like the about turn the press did with Whyte.

Footballfirst

Rangers Retail took in ?4.8M in the first half of season 2013/14 with costs of ?3M. Full year figures may be around ?1M more on both sides of the account.

What if MA has maybe done all he can do with Newcastle and decided there is no chance of champions league football but enjoyed the ride and learned enough form it so now starting what could be lot easier route to regular CL football by taking control of TRFC?

Why ??? Rangers would make ?20m in Champs League it would take ?50m to get them there. The myth about Sports Direct getting advertising as a result is again nonsense he would be better being a sponsor and then his brand would be at all games.

He is in it to make money nothing more.

Edited by Jamboelite

Why ??? Rangers would make ?20m in Champs League it would take ?50m to get them there. The myth about Sports Direct getting advertising as a result is again nonsense he would be better being a sponsor and then his brand would be at all games.

Spot on

I said it earlier MA will keep Rangers going they dumbasses will see him as a saviour and buy merchandise. He won't be splashing the cash though. It will come to a head when it dawns on them they are not competing with Celtic

Lifted this from the Scotmans comments about MA, MSSM...... I'll let the comment speak for itself,

Rate:

TheRealPravda

10:39 PM on 27/10/2014

"It's All about to unravel for the Media"

Dearie, dearie me. Did you hear that sycophantic drivel tonight from Super Scoreboard Loyal? If anyone doubted my attacks on them and the MSSM all they had to do was tune in. Did you hear Keevens "I accept no responsibility for the MSSM in Scotland" However he's quick to tell us he was a member for over forty years. Even Gerry ? who's not the worst, started cutting off callers and not admitting that "Rangers" were liquidated ? it's a fact Gerry!

Did you hear Keevens usual outpourings ? "When Rangers went away ? where to?" "Rangers were the only Club to go into Administration and do nothing about it ? difficult to do anything Keevens when you are liquidated". BFDJ "Ally took a 50% pay cut ? prove it"!

Ashley's aim for "Newco" is to be in the Champions League states Keevens; any corroborative evidence? Keevens ? "The "Newco" now really do have a "billionaire"; well I suppose if you state it long enough one will come along.

Suddenly Ashley comes up with a ?2 million pound loan and he is now the owner ? only 9% of shares; Sandy Boy is now the Chairman ? what happened to Sommers? and always the loans are secured against the Car Park and Edmonson House. Who owns the Deeds? Badges; Stadium Naming Rights; Shirts; Catering etc.?

You've got nothing left 5088s except this myth perpetuated by the MSSM and Super Scoreboard Loyal that you are still the same team. Everyone in Scotland is laughing at you and the MSSM but I forgot ? you don't care ? eh! It will be good to see you both succumb to your arrogance. Do you think a shrewd business man like Ashley ? as Keevens states, wants his "Brand" to be associated with you lot?

There also seems to be a letter that the SFA have a signed agreement from MA not to have more than 10% in shares or have any input / influence or ANY KIND OF REPRESENTATION on the newco board. The English FA also have serious concerns seemingly. Let's see how the Beaks both sides of the border play this one.

alwaysthereinspirit

There also seems to be a letter that the SFA have a signed agreement from MA not to have more than 10% in shares or have any input / influence or ANY KIND OF REPRESENTATION on the newco board. The English FA also have serious concerns seemingly. Let's see how the Beaks both sides of the border play this one.

We already know how the North of the border amateurs will take care of this. They'll do what they always do with the big decisions. Screw it up.

Has Ashley got influence at Oldham Athletic?

Sondico (an Ashley brand) is now their kit supplier, home/away/training kit + replica kits for supporters (5 year deal).

A relationship between the two clubs would see young Newcastle players head to Oldham on loan for experience.

Sports Direct taking over running of the Oldham club shop.

Oldham?s Boundary Park renamed SportsDirect.com Park.

Edited by Mark_Mywords

MA's long term relationship with Charles Green must be significant. Chuck sold the stadium name for 1 pound remember.

Was MA Chucks backer from the start? Has Green got the deeds to ibrox tucked away and MA is collecting those other assets a Rangers3 would need?

MA's long term relationship with Charles Green must be significant. Chuck sold the stadium name for 1 pound remember.

Was MA Chucks backer from the start? Has Green got the deeds to ibrox tucked away and MA is collecting those other assets a Rangers3 would need?

Finally got round to scanning your barcode. :lol::2thumbsup:

Even if the rangers franchise somehow made it to the CL. They'll be no sports direct branding on show anywhere in the ground..

Uefa rules are quite clear on this...

"The clubs undertake to guarantee UEFA optimum support in the

implementation of the commercial rights, and to refrain from taking any steps

that would encroach upon the above mentioned rights of the partners. For

UEFA Champions League and play-off matches, the clubs undertake to

observe UEFA?s instructions regarding the exclusive area. In particular the

home club must provide a ?clean stadium? by at least the morning of two days

before a match, meaning that no advertising except that officially authorised

by UEFA may be located within the exclusive area."

Unless the ground was called the sports direct arena etc.

kingantti1874

He is definitely in it to make money, there's no doubt about that.. But the way you make money is to service a healthy business - not a defunct one, he's not there to pick at the carcass, he's there to Milk the cow. sadly there's no doubt in my mind he will look to put them on a level footing and take them into the champions league..

Also - it'd take no more than ?15 - ?20m to build a team who could win the SPL.. And that's small beer for him

And champions league revenues have doubled to ?25m for TV money alone from next season.

Even the ground name is covered by UEFA, the Emirates is Arsenal Stadium and the Allianz is Bayern Munich Stadium etc etc for CL games

bigsuperslim1874

From BBC:-

"Presumably, the SFA will want to examine that scenario and look into whether Ashley having two representatives on the Rangers board amounts to a contravention of their agreement that he would not influence its decisions."

The fact this is even up for debate is absolutely ridiculous.

:cornette:

I'm not sure how anyone can realistically predict what Ashley is going to do.

He simply, hardly speaks to the press (or club fans) of his plans.

We've had wide ranging guesses at ?2m is the cost to him to protect his onerous contracts, taking all the assets and liquidating them, to drip feeding them on a bi-monthly basis to being told by the press to throw money at Rangers because it's their rightful place to be at the top of Scottish football and competing in the CL group stages.

The only real 'clue' he has given is what he said at the last SD AGM in that whatever he does, will be in the best interests of SD.

The real money to be made by Ashley is to get the Rangers fans back onside and buying merchandise by the cr@p load.

Now what will be his strategy to do that?

And will King / SoS call for an all out boycott?

Edited by DETTY29

From BBC:-

"Presumably, the SFA will want to examine that scenario and look into whether Ashley having two representatives on the Rangers board amounts to a contravention of their agreement that he would not influence its decisions."

The fact this is even up for debate is absolutely ridiculous.

:cornette:

On the face of it, following the SE announcement yesterday that as part of the loan conditions Ashley will get 2 representatives on each of the TRFC and RIFC borads, he has already broken the agreement.

I'm not arguing the rights and wrongs of dual ownership / representation, we had it with Vlad, (but then again the rules were maybe a wee bit different then) but I pity the poor sod in the SFA who would want to try and stop Ashley or a bunch of angry bears and their rightful avenue to a gift of several billions of pounds.

I genuinely think Ashley is just getting himself in a position where he owns all the profitable parts of the business for when it all goes wrong again. Seems to me to be his end game. He can then have a much more realistically run club (i.e within budget, no losses etc) with all the profitable parts going to to him.

Unless the ground was called the sports direct arena etc.

It doesn't matter - if you compete in the CL you can't refer to Ibrox as the SD Stadium or anything else : the only sponsorship/advertsing allowed at the stadiums has to be in line with the official UEFA sponsors. He can call it what he wants for domestic games but it's a non starter for UEFA games.

As for Sevco ever getting into the the CL : that may be a long term aim for MA (I doubt it, as he doesn't seem to give a toss about getting NUFC into the CL) but it won't be beacause he is funding it. More likely to be "loans" to Sevco (NUFC currently owe him ?100 million) - and then they'll be back in the same boat as their predecessors.

I now speak as a Magpie. Ashley is happiest when he is making money and he achieves this as long as Newcastle remain in the EPL. He is not interested in trophies and making big signings to qualify for the CL, on;y that over 52,000 geordies turn up at St James' Park every fortnight and spend their money on the club's merchandising. Ashley's main interest is making money and in this respect using his merchandising rights to make profits.

Ashley owns the "Rangers" brand and he can make money from it as long as the gullible keep buying the merchandising. There is no benefit to Ashley from having The Rangers play in the CL other than enticing an increase in support and ergo the increase in merchandising sales. .

Ashley will continue to drip feed money to keep Sevco ticking over and playing in the SPL next season. When the Old Form rivalry starts again so the profit from merchandising will increase. Ashley can maintain his profits with a minimum investment in the club.

All you need to do is look at how Newcastle are run to see the likely business model for Sevco.

Under Ashley's control, Sevco will be run under a financially sound footing but I doubt we will see many big signings as they had under Murray/Advocaat.

I now speak as a Magpie. Ashley is happiest when he is making money and he achieves this as long as Newcastle remain in the EPL. He is not interested in trophies and making big signings to qualify for the CL, on;y that over 52,000 geordies turn up at St James' Park every fortnight and spend their money on the club's merchandising. Ashley's main interest is making money and in this respect using his merchandising rights to make profits.

Ashley owns the "Rangers" brand and he can make money from it as long as the gullible keep buying the merchandising. There is no benefit to Ashley from having The Rangers play in the CL other than enticing an increase in support and ergo the increase in merchandising sales. .

Ashley will continue to drip feed money to keep Sevco ticking over and playing in the SPL next season. When the Old Form rivalry starts again so the profit from merchandising will increase. Ashley can maintain his profits with a minimum investment in the club.

All you need to do is look at how Newcastle are run to see the likely business model for Sevco.

Under Ashley's control, Sevco will be run under a financially sound footing but I doubt we will see many big signings as they had under Murray/Advocaat.

Seems entirely reasonable. I would think that roughly NUFC and RFC have similar sized fan-bases and, while you can pull in more money through TV payments, sponsorship etc through the EPL, the market for replica shirts, merchandise etc will be similar.

The problem I see with that logic when applied to rangers, is that the psyche of the supporters is to wintrophies / beat Celtic, not just to exist in the spl.

If Ashley is taking all the merchandising income and their crowds are lower, it's hard to see how they can compete with Celtic.

If they are not winning / beating Celtic then I see crowds staying low, less merchandising etc.

So, I don't really see what's in it for Ashley money-wise.

Edited by buzzbomb

kingantti1874

The problem I see with that logic when applied to rangers, is that the psyche of the supporters is to wintrophies / beat Celtic, not just to exist in the spl.

If Ashley is taking all the merchandising income and their crowds are lower, it's hard to see how they can compete with Celtic.

If they are not winning / beating Celtic then I see crowds staying low, less merchandising etc.

So, I don't really see what's in it for Ashley money-wise.

Why will they not beat Celtic? Their owners also milk them dry year on year. Rangers and Celtic will revert to finishing 1 and 2 year on year bar the odd exception

Why will they not beat Celtic? Their owners also milk them dry year on year. Rangers and Celtic will revert to finishing 1 and 2 year on year bar the odd exception

Simply because I don't think rangers will have as much cash as Celtic.

He is definitely in it to make money, there's no doubt about that.. But the way you make money is to service a healthy business - not a defunct one, he's not there to pick at the carcass, he's there to Milk the cow. sadly there's no doubt in my mind he will look to put them on a level footing and take them into the champions league..

Also - it'd take no more than ?15 - ?20m to build a team who could win the SPL.. And that's small beer for him

And champions league revenues have doubled to ?25m for TV money alone from next season.

IT is not worth chasing the Champions League. 15-20 mill on buy the players, then more as Celtic enter the arms race again. THen the crippling wages of the players for years on end at ?25 k per week each.

Massive loss leader- not Ashley's cup of tea I suspect.

The champions league is a rich man's vanity project adn would lose rangers a fortune, not make one

Are the SFA not looking into Ashely's board shennanegans? This should not be permitted.

PS Surely Ashley will make every effort to get Rangers into the English Leagues. That would be my thinking. !

Edited by Alva-Jambo

Someone is going to have to pony up another c.?10m for Rangers to see this season out alone before the riches of Premiership and full on bigotry merchandising kicks in.

And as admitted by Wallace in his 120 day review, Rangers barely have a football infrastructure in place.

As with Newcastle, MA doesn't write investment / loans off - he seeks pay back.

This saga still has many more twists and turns to go.

kingantti1874

Simply because I don't think rangers will have as much cash as Celtic.

Right now clearly no..but long term, 5/10 years down the line I think it's wishful thinking..

Time will tell..

For me this story's is all but over - clearly they are not going down the shitter again, therefore no points deduction this season.. Therefore I couldn't really care anymore..

jack D and coke

Right now clearly no..but long term, 5/10 years down the line I think it's wishful thinking..

Time will tell..

For me this story's is all but over - clearly they are not going down the shitter again, therefore no points deduction this season.. Therefore I couldn't really care anymore..

Yeah I agree with that. Parties over.

I think I said this earlier but I'd envisage a MA run Rangers would be quite a simple model.

The football team will be a separate element to the business. In essence MA will take the vast majority of the profits from all the commercial side of the club, and Sevco will be given an annual budget - maybe based on Season ticket sales, TV and prize money. Rangers work to that budget and thats it.

Rangers could be successful under that model. They'd kind of have to build the football side of the club up like we have started to - but with a good coaching set up, good scouting network etc, they could obviously compete at the top of the pile such is the draw of the club.

But Sevco would have to be self sufficient.

I am guessing there might be in inkling within MAs plan that genuine talent coming through from Sevco could be transfered to Newcastle where a successful transition to the EPL could start to generate significant transfer fees.

Are you serious? Everyone knows that the SFA will do everything in their power to help Rangers.

They will bend and twist the rules to fit round whatever Rangers want.

They will never admit it of course but they will do it.

Seymour M Hersh

He might well have decided that for all we know. But before he takes (official) control on Rankers he'll have to flog Newcastle and last time he tried that he got no takers. Can't see him selling them on the cheap either as that does not appear to be in his greedy, money grasping character.

I P Knightley

Seems entirely reasonable. I would think that roughly NUFC and RFC have similar sized fan-bases and, while you can pull in more money through TV payments, sponsorship etc through the EPL, the market for replica shirts, merchandise etc will be similar.

He's now got a very straightforward model:

Ticket sales, TV revenue, prize and transfer money pay for Ally's football side of of the business. If it weren't Ally, anyone could sustain a club in the top 3 in Scotland with that type of money. There'll be no 9-in-a-row, though.

Rangers Retail and the image rights go back to Ashley. It won't be long before the Rangers kit is made by Dunlop or Everlast.

Hagar the Horrible

I Don't want to come across all anti-Geordie but you have just confirmed what we all knew is the Newcastle fans are the most gullible, they keep buying their 3XL shirts and insist on wearing them all the time even on holiday in searing heat! With Rangers fans ones who go to the games will slowly start to boycott, however the ones who don't and the ex-pats around the world will! Rangers fans wont live on false promises , they want to beat Celtic, and win trophies and don't care how or even how much it costs? Newcastle accept mediocrity, because that's the best they can aspire too? and more often or not fail to reach it. the only thing in common is they are from the same social class, and as such Newcastle fans wear their shirts to tell the world they are Geordies, 3angers wear theirs to show they are proddies.

Hagar the Horrible

He's now got a very straightforward model:

Ticket sales, TV revenue, prize and transfer money pay for Ally's football side of of the business. If it weren't Ally, anyone could sustain a club in the top 3 in Scotland with that type of money. There'll be no 9-in-a-row, though.

Rangers Retail and the image rights go back to Ashley. It won't be long before the Rangers kit is made by Dunlop or Everlast.

Nah the shirts by Slazenger the shorts by everlast and the socks by Dunlop (2 furra pouwn), shell suits by Kangol.

Someone is going to have to pony up another c.?10m for Rangers to see this season out alone before the riches of Premiership and full on bigotry merchandising kicks in.

And as admitted by Wallace in his 120 day review, Rangers barely have a football infrastructure in place.

As with Newcastle, MA doesn't write investment / loans off - he seeks pay back.

This saga still has many more twists and turns to go.

Exactly this. Still don't think most folk realise the perilous financial position they are in. The ?2m from Ashley is papering over the cracks for another month or so (let alone paying off the directors that have "resigned"). They are still in desperate need of funding and as it stands, the only person capable of offering it is MA. If he offers more funding, it will be in exchange for more assets or contracts, or even... the Big Hoose!

He's got them right where he wants them and by the short and curlies.

I Don't want to come across all anti-Geordie but you have just confirmed what we all knew is the Newcastle fans are the most gullible, they keep buying their 3XL shirts and insist on wearing them all the time even on holiday in searing heat! With Rangers fans ones who go to the games will slowly start to boycott, however the ones who don't and the ex-pats around the world will! Rangers fans wont live on false promises , they want to beat Celtic, and win trophies and don't care how or even how much it costs? Newcastle accept mediocrity, because that's the best they can aspire too? and more often or not fail to reach it. the only thing in common is they are from the same social class, and as such Newcastle fans wear their shirts to tell the world they are Geordies, 3angers wear theirs to show they are proddies.

This is the same Rangers fans who were powerless to prevent Murray wrecking their club, to prevent White placing them into admin, to prevent Green picking at the bones of their liquidated corpse? Those Rangers fans who watch powerless as a bunch of spivs carve up the re-animated corpse, more interested in their own piece of the pie than keeping them alive?

Yeah, those Rangers fans. It matters not a jot what they want (and I don't believe their sense of entitlement engenders any extra power to the hun support over the Newcastle support), they have no choice or say whatsoever other than more pretend boycotts. They will have to accept whatever "mediocrity" Ashley serves up to them.

Incidentally, suggesting Newcastle fans are more gullible/stupid than the troglodyte bigots that follow follow is stretching it!

Incidentally, suggesting Newcastle fans are more gullible/stupid than the troglodyte bigots that follow follow is stretching it!

Not to mention downright offensive.

Hagar the Horrible

This is the same Rangers fans who were powerless to prevent Murray wrecking their club, to prevent White placing them into admin, to prevent Green picking at the bones of their liquidated corpse? Those Rangers fans who watch powerless as a bunch of spivs carve up the re-animated corpse, more interested in their own piece of the pie than keeping them alive?

Yeah, those Rangers fans. It matters not a jot what they want (and I don't believe their sense of entitlement engenders any extra power to the hun support over the Newcastle support), they have no choice or say whatsoever other than more pretend boycotts. They will have to accept whatever "mediocrity" Ashley serves up to them.

I cant really argue with you there, but just confirming that Newcastle are as equally gullible. But for the great good of the game, the likes of MA does more harm than his money can do good

Hagar the Horrible

Not to mention downright offensive.

I did say I was not trying to be? but one has to ask? why they accept it?

Are you serious? Everyone knows that the SFA will do everything in their power to help Rangers.

They will bend and twist the rules to fit round whatever Rangers want.

They will never admit it of course but they will do it.

Ashley will just find a way round the 10% rule. As Kinggantti and Jack D have said, while Ashley is involved they will be in the clear. They might not challenge Celtic but they'll get by financially.

So MA may install a financially sound model to Rangers.

He could be their fergus mccann. They need someone as strong as ashley to push through the cuts but it will be of long term benefit to MA and Rangers Football Club.

Ashley will just find a way round the 10% rule. As Kinggantti and Jack D have said, while Ashley is involved they will be in the clear. They might not challenge Celtic but they'll get by financially.

but if they don't challenge celtic, and soon, the gers fans will do walking away

I did say I was not trying to be? but one has to ask? why they accept it?

It's not about "acceptance" it's about following your team, you can't just stop/change your mind. It's been WAY worse for NUFC than anything Ashley has or is doing. The zombies have a sense of entitlement based on previous incarnation, NUFC fans (exc the skyboys) have none, just want the team to win more than lose and be the best it can be.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic