The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

I Cannie imagine the Newcaslte fans will be happy at getting punted out of Europe in favour of The Rangers. Ashley would never ever get anywhere near St James Park ever again.

It doesn't. It based on highest ranked team, not highest ranked tournament.

No matter who gets in and who doesn't there will be major seethe on the Clyde or the Tyne.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Stupid question, but what are these posts that are just a full stop all about? Seem to be everywhere!

If you 'edit' your post and take out all you've written you have to put something in (it can't just be blank) so a lot of people just put in a full stop.

Central Belt 1874

This is what i think will happen.

He drip feeds them, while cutting the cost to save his money, Or gives them enough money to see the through till april, for the stadium, not the 8m

He waits until april, defaults on the payment, the car park and that is his.

Funding stops

Rangers hit rock bottom, Share prices plummet.

He swoops in at the VERY LAST POSSIBLY minute and cleans up at about 8p a share(guess)

Clears decks,stabilizes ship.Runs whole show,brings share prices back up.

Sells Rangers before The European thing becomes and issue.

Keeps stadium and retail deals.lease back

Leave on a white charger playing the flute.

I offer to marry him

He says no but thats cool

Newcastle cement there place as a top four EPL team 

the end 

This is his plan and for me anyway it is quite obvious. He knows they wont make the end of the season, Mccoist knows they wont make the end of the season and so do the SFA. For what its worth I reckon it will all be over for them by the end of January. Stadium tied up this month with a loan and then he will refuse to give money in January to save them and that will be it.

Short term this is great news for us but I would imagine that longer term, past the pain they are about to go through again, they will be in a much better position than many on here think.

. it also allows you to get to the last comment on a mobile.

We could do with an option on mobile JKB to view the most recent post.

I'm aware of the alternatives of switching off the mobile version or adding a post but neither are ideal.

I wouldn't be surprised if not even Ashley himself knows where this will end up. It's just worth a punt. He's controlling a club with massive potential and is he even in for two million yet? He knows how lucrative it is to him having hordes of Rangers fans trudging through SD and he's probably still working out the best way to maximise that.

That's probably not far from the truth of the matter.

Bear in mid (no pun intended) that Ashley doesn't get every punt he makes right.  Remember he had a massive gamble on Tesco shares when they announced a few months ago that they had basically been employing dodgy accounting practices to bolster their profits.  Ashley gambled tens of millions on the share price recovering, it's actually nose dived further.

Mind you, a loss of say ?10m is buttons to Ashley.  Probably the equivalent of me sticking ?20 on the National only for my horse to fall at the first fence.

brunoatemyhamster

This is his plan and for me anyway it is quite obvious. He knows they wont make the end of the season, Mccoist knows they wont make the end of the season and so do the SFA. For what its worth I reckon it will all be over for them by the end of January. Stadium tied up this month with a loan and then he will refuse to give money in January to save them and that will be it.

Short term this is great news for us but I would imagine that longer term, past the pain they are about to go through again, they will be in a much better position than many on here think.

ONLY if whoever buys Ashley out sticks to the model that he leaves.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that they will lose the glory hunters along the way, And with extra overheads payed to Ashley( Rent and Merchandising losses) They won't be able to compete with Celtic anyway.

Bears don't like reality.

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

ONLY if whoever buys Ashley out sticks to the model that he leaves.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that they will lose the glory hunters along the way, And with extra overheads payed to Ashley( Rent and Merchandising losses) They won't be able to compete with Celtic anyway.

Bears don't like reality.

This. They'll never be the force they once were.

i wish jj was my dad

This. They'll never be the force they once were.

They are nothing if they can't be top dogs and they won't be top togs in this country again or a very long time.

In the short to medium term they will be lucky if they get to the levels they were at under Greig and Wallace.  Gates will be similar too.  I don't think there will be much of a gap between theirs and ours over a season for quite a while.   

Bear in mid (no pun intended) that Ashley doesn't get every punt he makes right. Remember he had a massive gamble on Tesco shares when they announced a few months ago that they had basically been employing dodgy accounting practices to bolster their profits. Ashley gambled tens of millions on the share price recovering, it's actually nose dived further.

Mind you, a loss of say ?10m is buttons to Ashley. Probably the equivalent of me sticking ?20 on the National only for my horse to fall at the first fence.

He's down roughly about ?3m on the Tesco deal at today's price. Nobody knows when that option settles but as you say, he doesn't get every punt right and it's pocket change to him anyway. Which is telling. If he wanted to throw money at Sevco, he could; he's bought a minority shareholding for peanuts, gave them a loan and picked off their retail ops while trolling them to **** with celebratory league cup semi-final t-shirts :lol: I don't think anyone really knows what he's up to but whatever it is (security over the assets is the only thing that seems sensible to me) he's certainly not doing it for Sevco's benefit

In its review of 2014 the BBC has just stated - twice - that "Rangers will be back" (in the top league next year). Completely amateur, lazy stuff. Cosgrove is in the studio and had to correct Sarah Smith by pointing out that it looked as if they'd have to do it via the play-offs. He then blotted his copybook by stating that the play-offs were completely new for this season. I must just have imagined Hamilton being promoted via the same system last year.

Cosgrove is a good guy but gets his facts wrong a lot. Guess its cos he's so busy with other stuff eg Channel 4 he doesn't have time to do prep but it is poor.

He's down roughly about ?3m on the Tesco deal at today's price. Nobody knows when that option settles but as you say, he doesn't get every punt right and it's pocket change to him anyway. Which is telling. If he wanted to throw money at Sevco, he could; he's bought a minority shareholding for peanuts, gave them a loan and picked off their retail ops while trolling them to **** with celebratory league cup semi-final t-shirts :lol: I don't think anyone really knows what he's up to but whatever it is (security over the assets is the only thing that seems sensible to me) he's certainly not doing it for Sevco's benefit

He has lost money on his Canadian venture aswell with the top shop boy

In its review of 2014 the BBC has just stated - twice - that "Rangers will be back" (in the top league next year). Completely amateur, lazy stuff. Cosgrove is in the studio and had to correct Sarah Smith by pointing out that it looked as if they'd have to do it via the play-offs. He then blotted his copybook by stating that the play-offs were completely new for this season. I must just have imagined Hamilton being promoted via the same system last year.

He managed to insult about half a dozen clubs with his smug assertion that St Johnstone deserved their cup win because they were run properly.

As well as upsetting Hibs ,QoS and Falkirk fans by awarding The Rangers the play-off place while assuming of course that they would just cruise past the 11th place Premiership team.

Then to compound matters he states that the play- offs are completely new to Scottish football.

What a car crash of a performance.

I hear that Ashley wants to have a real go with the Huns. We need to concentrate on our games, the Andy Davies officials will be out in force if that is right.

Cosgrove is a good guy but gets his facts wrong a lot. Guess its cos he's so busy with other stuff eg Channel 4 he doesn't have time to do prep but it is poor.

So he does a lot of things BADLY.

Perhaps he needs a break. Give that big mouth a rest.

I would imagine the Tesco plan is about more than share prices.

It also opens doors for him to have concessions of his product in prime retail space with less overheads. Similar to what he did with Debenhams

I would imagine the Tesco plan is about more than share prices.

It also opens doors for him to have concessions of his product in prime retail space with less overheads. Similar to what he did with Debenhams

He's not bought the shares, he's sold a put option - it's a punt on the share price, that's all.

So he's a Spurs fan, who owns Newcastle and controls Rangers. There's a Gazza connection there.

Does his Sports Direct shops sell fishing rods, chicken and 6 packs of lager?

No, I really don't have a clue what his end game is.

Edited by RH1977

He's not bought the shares, he's sold a put option - it's a punt on the share price, that's all.

Agreed, he's happy to have a punt on a share price and if he's wrong he might end up a few ?m out of pocket, but it's just loose change to him.  Sticking ?8m into Rangers to see them straight until the end of the season would be similar loose change.  But he's obviously not willing to hand his cash over while the current regime are in control, instead it looks like he will continue to drip feed loans as and when they get near to breaking point, when he can get his hands on more of the assets.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I Cannie imagine the Newcaslte fans will be happy at getting punted out of Europe in favour of The Rangers. Ashley would never ever get anywhere near St James Park ever again.

Agreed. If that were to happen he better be happy to never set foot in St James' Park again.

Folk talk as if Ashley doesn't mind chucking a few million about without much prospect of a return. The complete opposite of what all the evidence suggests.

He makes investments where the reward outweighs the risk. He will want a serious pound of flesh from these loans, and the only flesh on the rangers carcass are the property assets.

Folk talk as if Ashley doesn't mind chucking a few million about without much prospect of a return. The complete opposite of what all the evidence suggests.

He makes investments where the reward outweighs the risk. He will want a serious pound of flesh from these loans, and the only flesh on the rangers carcass are the property assets.

So Edmiston House and the car park?

There have always been rumours about the stadium since Bombers rant and the Brian Kennedy "offer" reported that security over the stadium was "not an option open to the board", so why would Ashley get security?

Indeed, if rumours are to believed, that ship has sailed and he should be negotiating with a wealthy individual from Lancashire :whistling:

But how much are those property assets actually worth? We've all been to Ibrox, not exactly prime real estate, and if it got close to the end game you can be sure that Archibald Leach stand will suddenly become culturally important. Not sure about the land Murray Park is on in terms of development.

Agreed, he's happy to have a punt on a share price and if he's wrong he might end up a few ?m out of pocket, but it's just loose change to him.  Sticking ?8m into Rangers to see them straight until the end of the season would be similar loose change.  But he's obviously not willing to hand his cash over while the current regime are in control, instead it looks like he will continue to drip feed loans as and when they get near to breaking point, when he can get his hands on more of the assets.

He has also made sure that any loans made have a repayment date and are also secured.

Rangers need more money in December and presumably again come January and possibly February unless they are able to complete a new Share Issue or find an alternative injection of cash.

So far MA has $3M of loans secured against assets. What exactly are the assets worth? There will surely come a point when they are being used as security up their full value?

Next week will be very interesting and it will be a lot clearer as to everyone's true intentions IMO.

You are right but the terms of the punt mean if the SP don't recover to the option price he either has to pay the difference or buy the shares at the agreed price.

At that point you would imagine he will buy the shares so he can look to recover some of the damage by looking to get his brands in to Tesco. (He has a history of buying shares in other retailers to try and get some influence / info etc)

The two things no one knows is the agreed option price and the expirey date.

You are right but the terms of the punt mean if the SP don't recover to the option price he either has to pay the difference or buy the shares at the agreed price.

At that point you would imagine he will buy the shares so he can look to recover some of the damage by looking to get his brands in to Tesco. (He has a history of buying shares in other retailers to try and get some influence / info etc)

The two things no one knows is the agreed option price and the expirey date.

A put option is a contract to sell. If Zico is correct (and I have no insight into the specifics of the deal), it suggests to me that Ashley already owns the Tesco shares and is gambling on them going down in price at which point he will exercise the option and make a profit. Zico's knowledge of derivatives seems shakey at best though.

Llambias is new CEO.

Suggests MA long haul or a I'm bigger than you gesture to SFA.

Edited by DETTY29

The Mighty Thor

Mashley giving the SFA two fingers :lol:

No undue influence at all in having your man as CEO. It looks like Mashley is going to run rings around the SFA and expose them for the utterly toothless shambles that we all already know they are when it comes to all matters 'old firm'.

Rudolf's Mate

"This is a successful outcome to the process, announced on 27 October 2014, which involved interviewing a number of high-calibre candidates.

So they did :lol:

Aye we're going to swallow that one!

In response to a rangers fan asking about mashley on an nufc forum.

Probably really a Scottish Newcastle fan but I still liked it.

A put option is a contract to sell. If Zico is correct (and I have no insight into the specifics of the deal), it suggests to me that Ashley already owns the Tesco shares and is gambling on them going down in price at which point he will exercise the option and make a profit. Zico's knowledge of derivatives seems shakey at best though.

Terms of the deal...

The billionaire, who also owns Newcastle United football club, has agreed with Goldman Sachs to buy 23m Tesco shares from the bank at a set price in the future. Under the terms of this put-option, if Tesco shares are below this exercise price at the time the option expires, then Sports Direct either has to buy the shares from Goldman at the agreed higher price, or pay the bank the difference.

It seems very similar to what he did with Debenhams which has resulted in getting retail space in their stores.

I suppose the point being... There is usually method in his madness

Rudolf's Mate

Y

Talk about rubbing the SFA's face in the shit!

Going to be interesting to see how they deal with this.

It's actually hilarious :lol: giving the SFA both barrels.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic